My Own Worst Enemy : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Oct 13, 2008
8.7

1. LennethB.
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lets at least leave a few good shows on.
  2. OliviaJ.
    Jan 3, 2009
    I can't believe they are cancelling this show. Where to you write to protest to the network?
  3. JohnB
    Jun 9, 2009
    Finally, something worth watching.
  4. cherid.
    Nov 30, 2008
    Love it and hate to see it cancelled.
  5. MarkW.
    Oct 15, 2008
    As of the first episode it shows great potential and I will defiantly be watching next week. It keeps you interested with a good helping of action and intriguing plot twist. 'My Own Worst Enemy' reminds me of the great movie 'Memento', in the fact that Edward Albright/Henry Spivey (Christian Slater) is leaving himself messages to help both parts of him stay alive and As of the first episode it shows great potential and I will defiantly be watching next week. It keeps you interested with a good helping of action and intriguing plot twist. 'My Own Worst Enemy' reminds me of the great movie 'Memento', in the fact that Edward Albright/Henry Spivey (Christian Slater) is leaving himself messages to help both parts of him stay alive and find answers. If the show keeps up with its current pace it will undoubtedly on of the best new show this year. Expand
  6. souph
    Dec 22, 2008
    its the smartest,well-written,well acted (by all the characters) show that has ever hit the airwaives.let alone network tv. these 'critics' like the snafran gate, who dont get it, its because it an intelligent show. you have to THINK,and well, americans aren't used to that. exceptional show! it wouldnt suprise me if several studios got involved in bidding wars . if you have its the smartest,well-written,well acted (by all the characters) show that has ever hit the airwaives.let alone network tv. these 'critics' like the snafran gate, who dont get it, its because it an intelligent show. you have to THINK,and well, americans aren't used to that. exceptional show! it wouldnt suprise me if several studios got involved in bidding wars . if you have a decent i.q. you get it other wise go watch the 'world wide phenomenon 'hole in the wall' LMAO. Expand
  7. MarilynB.
    Jan 10, 2009
    Original and should bring it back!!!
  8. RichardB.
    Bring it back.
  9. JavarioF.
    Feb 9, 2009
    I notice that either the alias or the actual news reviews actually responded. With the garbage in the media via musical or visual, it was great to see something interesting on television. The television show had more style, depth, and intrigue than a lot of movies. Anything movie-worthy should have a chance on t.v. With all that being said... "Bring it back @ NBC!" What if NBC had a show I notice that either the alias or the actual news reviews actually responded. With the garbage in the media via musical or visual, it was great to see something interesting on television. The television show had more style, depth, and intrigue than a lot of movies. Anything movie-worthy should have a chance on t.v. With all that being said... "Bring it back @ NBC!" What if NBC had a show as huge as Alias? Oh wait, wasn't that My Own Worst Enemy? I believe it was, but what happened? It was canceled! I think the main flaw was probably character depth. I think the problem was that the simple minded couldn't follow the intricate story-line. Maybe if the show builds in depth, maybe it could possibly return. 10 all the way, just needs more location, and breaking down the events to the simple minded low rating reviewers. I see more garbage in the media that would be the stepping stone for the late show that previously passed away. Key points.. i think some people may feel the show was rushed..Maybe it was, but it was still great in it's short life span. If revived, take consideration of the criticism so the appeal shall grow. But, I as long as many other wish for it's return... bring it back, bring it back!!! Expand
  10. MonicaN
    Apr 9, 2009
    I love Christian Slater. He is such a good actor. I was very happy that he decided to return to the screen! Why would they cancel it. They didn`t even give it a fricken chance! Christian, don`t get discouraged! Push for another season or get a role in a movie. I will definatly go see it!
  11. MarisaV.
    Nov 16, 2008
    Better than Heroes, as good as House Best new show!
  12. dollieeG
    Nov 29, 2008
    I really enjoy Christian's portrayal and am sorry it will not continue. I hope they change their mind. I will watch the show to conclusion.
  13. RobertP.
    Dec 19, 2008
    Outstanding characters played by both lead and supporting actors. Just the type of escapism I look for in my television viewing. It's a shame some corporate suit chooses to cancel. Anything but reality TV.
  14. PratikS.
    Oct 23, 2008
    The series has serious potential,.. And the actor is world class in terms of performance. He really lives his Dual lives well !! I'm gonna take my chances for now. Also fo me the show is a full 10/10.
  15. BarryP.
    Oct 28, 2008
    fantastic premise. It grows on you. You have to see the development of Slater's characters hate for himself. It is such a study in contrasts, and Slater does a terrific job of jumping from persona to persona.
  16. BrentC.
    Jan 13, 2009
    The end of Episode Nine Season One of "My Own Worst Enemy" Has potential for at least one more season with that cliff-hanger of who caused the deletion of the computer program that could reliably switch between Edward and Raymond. Why don't you finish the series properly? Let the story run its course.
  17. WendyW.
    Jan 4, 2009
    A smart show for smart people, unpredictable, and a cliffhanger every week. I'm sad it was reported as being canceled. Hopefully it will be picked up by another station!!
  18. OmarR.
    Jan 7, 2009
    This was the most intriguing show of 2008 and shows the calibre of Slater's acting talent. I would go as far as saying that the plot and style of the show are better than Heroes new seasons! Terrible mistake to cancel this show by NBC.
  19. TrudiF
    Aug 6, 2009
    Fantastic show. At last something intelligent on tv. Exciting, origional and amazingly gripping. Are all the people who decided to cancel it temporarily insane...?
  20. CassN.
    Nov 14, 2008
    I love this new show! Christian Slater does a great job portraying a tough guy. Please keep this show going!
  21. MikeS
    Nov 21, 2008
    I think that the reason that this show is getting canceled is that an automaker is the sponsor. This is a very well written show that does a terrific job every week. Someone else should pick this up. Lot's to like here!
  22. JoseC.
    Nov 9, 2008
    I loved this, existentialism , action.....great combination. Perfect casting. Give it a chance, it's like Alias, but smarter.
  23. MerilynC
    Jan 13, 2009
    I'm afraid that this excellent series will go the way of "Nowhere Man", which was canceled in spite of a loyal viewer following. I'd rather not watch TV at all than be stuck with the sappy pap being pumped out these days by the networks. What next -- "Fringe"?
  24. JaniceS.
    Dec 11, 2008
    Wonderful show.
  25. Dec 14, 2010
    Christian Slater delivers a brilliant performance portraying two characters who are a split personality. They are the same man but different to one another, so there are parallels between the characters which makes for a difficult job for the actor who somehow makes this look easy. One of the supporting cast has the same job to do; two connected characters in one man and unfortunatelyChristian Slater delivers a brilliant performance portraying two characters who are a split personality. They are the same man but different to one another, so there are parallels between the characters which makes for a difficult job for the actor who somehow makes this look easy. One of the supporting cast has the same job to do; two connected characters in one man and unfortunately doesn't pull it off. one character is complete while the other is too emotionally dead and without personality. It's only toward the very last two episodes that he begins to 3 dimensionalize the spy character. Sadly, this is another brilliant series that has been cancelled. I am beginning to get annoyed with the networks lack of follow through. Expand
  26. SheldonW.
    Oct 13, 2008
    My Own Worst Enemy is a lively blend of Robert Louis Stevenson and Robert Ludlum [Jekyll and Bourne]. It's intelligently conceived and executed and gets terrific work from both its star and supporting cast. Excepting the swashbuckling Crusoe, this is the best new show for NBC, this fall.
  27. MelissaW.
    Oct 15, 2008
    The show was fast paced and is geared toward the intellectual TV watcher. I loved it. My only concern is the 'why' factor. How is this dual personality a necessity or a benefit??
  28. RandyB.
    Dec 8, 2008
    First intelligent and original drama in YEARS from NBC or any other network. While it was a little difficult keeping track of the main characters identity at first, it is now fairly routine. The show is wonderful and about the only thing I sit waiting for from week to week at this point.
  29. GabrielG.
    Oct 30, 2008
    My Own Worst Enemy is a fairly well written show. However, at times, the shows becomes too confusing. Overall, this is a great follow-up to Chuck and Heroes.
  30. MikeD
    Jan 2, 2009
    One of the few series I regularly watched this fall. the ones that aired while I was at work were wacthed during off hours on the nbc website.....commercials and all.... sure the science/split persona was a bit campy at times....but just as the writing started to get deeper into plot whabaam....show is gone for something much more lousy. Time for print media and broadcast TV to figure out One of the few series I regularly watched this fall. the ones that aired while I was at work were wacthed during off hours on the nbc website.....commercials and all.... sure the science/split persona was a bit campy at times....but just as the writing started to get deeper into plot whabaam....show is gone for something much more lousy. Time for print media and broadcast TV to figure out that technology is killing them and find a way to adapt their revenue models to stay alive...or not. Expand
  31. EdC
    Nov 17, 2008
    I thought the previews looked interesting and then forgot about. My wife mentioned that she DVR'd it, so we gave it a chance. The premise might seem a bit far-fetched, and even sill at times, but the acting and cinematography are wonderful! We watched the first 3 episodes back to back and only stopped because the baby was crying. This is a great show, if you are not willing to take I thought the previews looked interesting and then forgot about. My wife mentioned that she DVR'd it, so we gave it a chance. The premise might seem a bit far-fetched, and even sill at times, but the acting and cinematography are wonderful! We watched the first 3 episodes back to back and only stopped because the baby was crying. This is a great show, if you are not willing to take the storyline too seriously. Expand
  32. NicolayD.
    Nov 19, 2008
    This show is awesome. Christian Slater delivers both Henry and Edward with passion. I can really tell he worked hard for this role. He is the perfect man for the show and hope that it would last. I love the twist and turns the show has and the connection he has with every character. I've heard that this show was pulled but wondered why. I believe this show should go on. One of This show is awesome. Christian Slater delivers both Henry and Edward with passion. I can really tell he worked hard for this role. He is the perfect man for the show and hope that it would last. I love the twist and turns the show has and the connection he has with every character. I've heard that this show was pulled but wondered why. I believe this show should go on. One of Christian Slater's best. Expand
  33. JennetP.
    Dec 17, 2008
    This show is not nearly as contrived as some accusers claim; after all, there are documented cases of multiple personality in which different identities manifest wildly different traits, including awareness of other identities. The contrivance is the idea that MP can be induced and controlled via a chip in the brain, but, for me, that demands less suspension of disbelief than the hordes This show is not nearly as contrived as some accusers claim; after all, there are documented cases of multiple personality in which different identities manifest wildly different traits, including awareness of other identities. The contrivance is the idea that MP can be induced and controlled via a chip in the brain, but, for me, that demands less suspension of disbelief than the hordes of delectable 22-year-old cardiac surgeons, district attorneys, political advisors, CEOs, and anthropology professors that populate other shows. As impossibilities go, it pales beside Californication's protagonist, a writer desperate for a comeback who allows a teenager to take credit for his first good novel in years, chuckles wryly as she reads a rave NYT review of what even he has come to call "their" novel, then hugs her tenderly as she departs on a book tour. Now, that's preposterous. And it doesn't open up many interesting dramatic possibilities, which the Henry/Edward dynamic does. The show gives viewers much to chew on, starting with the central irony that the "real," or original personality is the less recognizably human of the two. And, unlike some other reviewers, I see a wealth of possible storylines. For example, what would happen if Janus actually managed to "fix" Henry/Edward? Even if they could control the emergence of each persona, Henry would surely try to discover what Edward was up to. What would happen if either persona learned how to control its emergence? What would happen if Edward fell in love with Henry's wife and/or she with him? Alas, we'll never know how the series might have developed, as it has already been canceled. Surprise. You'd think, given the correlation between intelligence and disposable income, that one or two advertisers could see the benefits of programming for smart people, but I'm sure we'll all be watching "Survivor: Penguin Island" 50 years from now. I hope, by then, to have dementia sufficient to enjoy it. Expand
  34. RussR.
    Dec 27, 2008
    Engaging, at times edge-of-your-seat spy thriller with an interesting rogues gallery of "normal" and "supernormal" characters. Unlike so many excellent shows of the past (non-crime drama or comedy) network shows, I hope it doesn't get cancelled.
  35. MikeN.
    Oct 17, 2008
    Pretty good pilot. Nice sinister turn by Mike O'Malley as a schizoid coworker of the hero. Slater is excellent, making both sides of his character believable, but it is hard to see how they can make much of a series out of this premise. If Slater starts sending himself messages every episode, this will get old in a hurry. But it is definitely worth checking back to see what ideas the Pretty good pilot. Nice sinister turn by Mike O'Malley as a schizoid coworker of the hero. Slater is excellent, making both sides of his character believable, but it is hard to see how they can make much of a series out of this premise. If Slater starts sending himself messages every episode, this will get old in a hurry. But it is definitely worth checking back to see what ideas the writers can come up with. Expand
  36. ElginW.
    Nov 12, 2008
    I think Slater does a very good job playing this character.

1. Slater plays out spy-story clich├ęs that were campy on "The Man From U.N.C.L.E." 40 years ago.
  2. My Own Worst Enemy holds our interest despite its utter preposterousness because if there is anything Slater knows how to do, it's present a believable head case.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    The pilot gingerly lays out most of the elements My Own Worst Enemy will need to survive--leaving it to the show to either make its strange case or live down to its name.