• Network: Showtime
  • Series Premiere Date: Nov 12, 2012
  • Season #: 1
5.9

1. Dec 23, 2012
    Oliver Stone is just about as much a "leftist" as Henry Wallace was a Communist! If anything he is a great patriot, who underwent a huge effort to tell us his insights about the greatest story of all; the history of mankind. Yes the president of the US at the time (Truman) was nothing but a schoolyard bully. And yes, many of the enemies the US have nowadays, the US simply produced themselves. It is crucial that we start to understand, why there are such vast parts of the world who hate the US. So I'd personally rather start looking the truth in the eye, even if it hurts, than to go on, like nothing is happening and if, it is still for sure all the others' fault! 'Cos we are the good ones, hooray! So the other ones HAVE to be the bad ones! Hooaaahh!! I say the russians love their children too, and we should never forget that we are one big mankind! And it is just about time that we admit the erroneous ways of out past, just like other did before us, dor the truth shall set us free! Thank you, Mister Stone for producing this document of epic political and humanitarian significance, and for putting your head, your heart and your energy into this great piece of historical and philosophical work! Collapse
  2. Jan 3, 2013
    Excellent show - educational - always good to get a different perspective on received history.
    Whether or not you agree with his sentiment, his facts are undeniable and that's the education.
    If only every country had someone doing this on their history.
    Well done Oliver
  3. Jan 25, 2013
    You could turn the sound down and be floored simply by the images. I do think Stone would have been better served by choosing a narrator but even so...
  4. Jan 2, 2013
    This is a solid piece of work about the history of the US that we usually never hear or see about. As they say, the winners write the history, and its always a history that serves the interests of the winners. Oliver Stone tells the history of the losers, the weak, and the ignored. This show also does a great job dramatizing events.
  5. Jan 12, 2013
    the video equivalent of Howard Zinn's "Peoples History of the US". This is the historic reality that most of the the world knows, outside of our own myth-fed public. Must viewing for the majority of our population that still clings to the self-serving historical pablum fed us by our corporatocracy through its educational, media and political organs.
  6. Jan 14, 2014
    A very personal reflection of the achievements, opportunities (both seized and squandered) and failings of the USA in the last 100 years.

Stone clearly has his own favourites and enemies, and will be villified by the right for not being a patriot, but I thought this was a provocative, thoughtful and ultimately satisfying history of Uncle Sam. Stone flits between archive footage,
    Hollywood rewritings and old interviews to get his message across.

Compulsive viewing, don't ever expect to see it on Fox News though.

Four years in the making and ten hours long, it's a remarkable, if dense and often difficult program--at once the most stylistically stripped-down thing Stone has done and (somehow) the most Oliver Stone-y.
  2. Reviewed by: Mary McNamara
    Nov 12, 2012
    Narrated by Stone with no other voices (save actors filling in for various world leaders), Untold History is a hodgepodge of terrific if often disturbing historical footage and bizarre theatrical asides (including, at one point, the dictionary definition of "empathy" spelled out on the screen) that are almost overwhelmed by its invasive soundtrack.
  3. Reviewed by: Glenn Garvin
    Nov 12, 2012
    It is relentless and ultimately meretricious in skewing history to its conceit that the United States is a murderous war machine destroying everything in its path to empire.