• Network: Showtime
  • Series Premiere Date: Jun 30, 2013
Season #: 1, 2, 3
7.7

1. Jul 31, 2013
    Have I missed something? I find "Ray Donovan" a big disappointment. The writing is beyond terrible. The show feels like a bunch of writers who each write a scene and then are thrown together in a hodge podge that makes no sense. The acting is so bad I find myself laughing during scenes that are suppose to be serious. When Gould's character sees the "Golem'" Voight runs off like aHave I missed something? I find "Ray Donovan" a big disappointment. The writing is beyond terrible. The show feels like a bunch of writers who each write a scene and then are thrown together in a hodge podge that makes no sense. The acting is so bad I find myself laughing during scenes that are suppose to be serious. When Gould's character sees the "Golem'" Voight runs off like a little girl...are you kidding me? Just one of many silly scenes. At least if there was one likeable character I could stay with this dreck, but there isn't. The kids are spoiled brats, Ray is just a dog sniffing after everything, Gould's character and the lawyer are so stereotypical as to be offensive......Beyond all this is the pandering. Voight instructs his grandson on oral sex, Ray dreams his father is screwing his wife, Ray's wife displays her thong that she just bought to the delight of her father-in-law and more, all unnecessary pandering. I could go on about why this show stinks but I don't want to give this show anymore of my time. One star for the nice homes and apartments but I guess I could see that on HGTV. Expand
  2. Jul 9, 2013
    I am so disappointed with this show. I thought they would at least give us a guy who would not fall under the sex spell of a teenager. He is as low as the people he tries to clean up after. This show is disgusting. If this is what "Hollywood" is about, I will continue to watch less and less. He is such a good actor, but not much of a decent human being if he can justify this character.
  3. Jul 2, 2013
    Liev is such a scenery chewer. The show might be ok if it's allowed to develop, but anyone who is so in love with himself like Liev is can never carry a show.
  4. Mar 20, 2014
    como se dice falta de investigacion y falta de creatividad aaaaaaaaaaaaaa Ray donovan y true detective gente que jamaz leyo ni una carilla ni vio una serie ni investigo psicologia una mierda de serie
  5. Jul 13, 2014
    I would rather have watched a Lifetime movie. Seriously this is corny, unbelievable and unbelievably silly. That's all good, but now when it's pretending to something more.
  6. Feb 25, 2015
    This tired, derivative, same old same old clone with a new twist on a done to death genre could have been good if it wasn't so phony and downright sleazy. Making it so much worse is the cast of absolutely abhorrent scumbag freak show characters. Start with the ugly, sailor mouth, sickeningly overblown Boston accented red head wife. What an annoying shrill shrieking shrew! They cast aThis tired, derivative, same old same old clone with a new twist on a done to death genre could have been good if it wasn't so phony and downright sleazy. Making it so much worse is the cast of absolutely abhorrent scumbag freak show characters. Start with the ugly, sailor mouth, sickeningly overblown Boston accented red head wife. What an annoying shrill shrieking shrew! They cast a deformity as the daughter. Then you have the hideous fat dyke for a mistress to the gym owner brother cast by a dwarf out of something like "Lord of the Rings". Of course there's the token profane beyond real(even in Hollywood they aren't quite this over-the-top, except for maybe cable TV execs) shouting balding elfin Jew lawyer/agent? who is the little rabid dog that's all bark and no bite. And then the two miserable leads... An Eastern Euro descended chipmunk who is a good actor but has no charisma. He plays tough sure with the unshaven look and no nonsense disposition and he is a big guy. That's all it takes these days? Remember somebody like Steve McQueen?
    Worst of all is the disgrace of a solid veteran like Jon Voight playing not only a reprehensible evil mobster, sure I can see why he'd take that role, but a filthy perverted heinous freak of one? It's twisted beyond any measure of suspension of disbelief! Maybe he's not aware of what a goofy not very scary clown he's playing? If this is what an actor of stature has to do to regain notoriety and a paycheck then it's no better than flat out prostitution (which actually most all actors are fully game for sadly and they continually prove it). For that matter Eliot Gould should have remained in semi-retirement. Now he has this hideous blemish to haunt him.
    Most of all, the scumbag Showtime execs behind this filth should be held accountable for the debasing of society. Guess what cable whores? People, including hot young actresses, generally do not use the phraseology "F--- me", "I want to taste you…" etc. constantly. Even in Hollywood there is some discretion at times. In this sordid show every character uses this kind of language all the time. It's a sick false way of life as depicted.
    No, it's only the dweeb druggie sex obsessed writers, producers and execs of these kind of shows that think people talk and act this way. You see they don't get it in their real lives, so they openly fantasize about it here which sadly does in turn have a debased effect on the culture. They aren't stupid though, they know that human nature is such that curiosity gets the best of us and we watch. Sex and violence sells. It doesn't take more than the barrel of monkeys making this **** to pull that off. I'm done after six episodes not only because of all this rant on depravity. No it's mostly because the show is phony poorly written trash.
    It's light years from "Breaking Bad" or "Goodfellas" or even "Michael Clayton" which it tries to rip off.

1. Reviewed by: Vicki Hyman
    Feb 13, 2014
    The show, stylishly shot and strongly written, throws a lot at the wall in the premiere.
  2. Reviewed by: Emily Nussbaum
    Jul 1, 2013
    The series exists within its own ugly system, mining the by now tired convention of the thoughtful thug--the same idea that was so brilliantly subverted by more ambitious series, such as “The Sopranos” and “Breaking Bad.”
    There's something both frustrating and fascinating about the way Showtime's classy but surprisingly dull new drama Ray Donovan aspires to greatness.