Reaper : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Sep 25, 2007
Season #: 1, 2
8.6

1. Feb 19, 2014
    I saw this a few years ago when it came out, and from what I remember, it was quite good. However, the fact I don't remember a lot about it means it wasn't a very memorable series.
  2. Jun 22, 2012
    Although I discovered this show late, I can honestly say it is now one of my favorite TV shows that has aired, and one of the very few decent shows to has come out of the CW. It is a crime that this show only lasted two seasons, and that it never received the closure it deserved.
  3. LornaA.
    Feb 21, 2008
    At first I only watched the show to fill in between programmes but now in it's third week in the UK I find I'm compelled to bookmark it and even look forward to Wednesday nights- lighthearted, great chemistry between characters (Wise is phenomenal) with an intriguing plot this show makes for an all round accessible drama, it could even benefit from indulging in a darker At first I only watched the show to fill in between programmes but now in it's third week in the UK I find I'm compelled to bookmark it and even look forward to Wednesday nights- lighthearted, great chemistry between characters (Wise is phenomenal) with an intriguing plot this show makes for an all round accessible drama, it could even benefit from indulging in a darker development of plot but should not try to match Whedon's BTVS in this field as this would ultimately compromise this off beat show. Expand
  4. KitH.
    Apr 3, 2008
    It's rare that we get a show with such likable characters as the leads in Reaper. Even Ray Wise, who plays Satan, has a certain charm while exuding a quiet menace. While early episodes have been slightly repetitious, later episodes have improved by leaps and bounds, especially Ep13 when more of the underlying story arc is revealed. Excellent! Keep up the good work!
  5. AndrewB
    Jun 2, 2008
    Best show on television, its shows like this and the former arrested development that make me think there is a glimmer of hope in the garbage heap that is television. I dont know if its because i relate to the early 20-something male with no life plan or what but I'm hooked.
  6. PaulD
    Sep 25, 2009
    Brillant ! So far from the standards, good fun, very entertainning.
  7. LuAnnM.
    Nov 15, 2007
    Wonderful show - I'm so glad I found it. I have always been a fan of unusual shows - Twin Peaks, X Files, Heroes, Battlestar Galactica, CSI LV, etc. Hopefully this one will last.
  8. CarlH.
    Nov 6, 2007
    I have to say this is one of the most clever shows I've seen in quite awhile, and it takes it's time in developing the larger plot. You have to view Sam as an innocent in all this while his friends represent his heart, conscience, logic and serve as a witness to his soul. While the devil represents things opposite using "fire to fight fire." He tries to manipulate Sam's I have to say this is one of the most clever shows I've seen in quite awhile, and it takes it's time in developing the larger plot. You have to view Sam as an innocent in all this while his friends represent his heart, conscience, logic and serve as a witness to his soul. While the devil represents things opposite using "fire to fight fire." He tries to manipulate Sam's heart, conscience and logic to defeat himself (after all you are your own worst enemy). While Andi represents his heart, she also represents the angel who he badly needed in life, while Sock represents the mischief of Sam's life. Ben often times represents Sam's reason reminding him of "free will" to assure him that hope is not all lost yet. As the Devil constantly tempts Sam against his friends, Sam's friends loyally help Sam through his trials without ever asking anything in return. Along with their adventures, and what REALLY makes the show is the fact that it's so humorous in all levels with slapstick, quips, cul de sacs, and much much more. Hands down, a show everyone has been waiting for in awhile. Let's just hope CW is not like Fox in it's marathon to cancel as many shows as possible for the World Guinness Record. Expand
  9. WenC.
    Nov 7, 2007
    I watch tv to be entertained. This show does that.
  10. JW
    Oct 2, 2007
    A brilliantly acted show with a funny and unique premise. If the writer's can keep up with the show's actors than this won will be an absolute winner.
  11. MoisheM.
    Sep 26, 2007
    Cosmologically it is way off,but is genuinely funny and entertaining.
  12. JasonH.
    Sep 27, 2007
    Fantastic writing and acting, very funny.
  13. DylanS.
    Sep 28, 2007
    The opening just hooked me.. i love how the parents were anxious about his 21st birthday, and he has no idea why. it was brilliant!!
  14. KevinO
    Dec 7, 2008
    Hysterical, inventive and involving. The best commedy introduced in 2007 and while modern, it hearkens back to television's Golden Age.
  15. BillM.
    Mar 31, 2008
    Well-written character-driven show. Ray Wise _is_ the devil now in my mind. Funny and amusing, not trying to be something that it isn't. This show accomplishes what it sets out to do better than any other of the 2007 season.
  16. ST.
    Apr 7, 2008
    This show is the only reason to watch the CW! It's original and hilarious! The people at CW should listen to the critics and the fans, and keep this show!
  17. SeanD
    Apr 21, 2009
    One of the best shows on TV. DON'T CANCEL IT !!
  18. AndrewH
    Nov 1, 2007
    I agree with Mark but it hasn't stopped me from watching the show. It is basically the same thing every episode. He gets a tool to capture a soul, he finds the soul, a fight ensues, he sends the soul back to hell. Then they throw in a little romantic drama with him wanting to bang the hot chick he works with and her jerking him around by acting like she likes him but then always I agree with Mark but it hasn't stopped me from watching the show. It is basically the same thing every episode. He gets a tool to capture a soul, he finds the soul, a fight ensues, he sends the soul back to hell. Then they throw in a little romantic drama with him wanting to bang the hot chick he works with and her jerking him around by acting like she likes him but then always calling him "friend" and wanting to do "friend" things. What a whore. Expand
  19. JasonK.
    Oct 2, 2007
    Hilarious. Smart.
  20. LucindoT.
    Dec 13, 2007
    This show rocks and it is funny as HELL.
  21. JonH.
    Dec 5, 2007
    Awesome and very interesting.
  22. NickH.
    Dec 8, 2007
    Awesome show.
  23. Len
    Oct 7, 2007
    Very funny. But, can they sustain this over time without doing the same show every week? Time will tell.
  24. LindsF
    Oct 9, 2007
    I adore this show. It's refreshing and new! I can't wait until Tuesday for each new episode.
  25. SamJ.
    Sep 25, 2007
    Best pilot of the 2007 Fall Season.
  26. LouisH.
    Sep 25, 2007
    It is one of the best shows this season, and defnietly the best thing ever on the CW
  27. BretK.
    Sep 25, 2007
    the pilot .is amazing and funny great show
  28. GregA.
    Sep 26, 2007
    I enjoyed the first episode. It was fun in a geeky, superficial way.
  29. KyleM.
    Sep 26, 2007
    I don't know that I've ever watched a "primetime" show in the CW, but after being disappointed with NBC's "Chuck" and pretty much anything new on Fox, I'm pleasantly surprised with how much I liked this show. Yeah, it's over the top, and a few of the jokes and characters fell flat for me, but it's unique. I'm not even embarrassed to say I plan on tuning I don't know that I've ever watched a "primetime" show in the CW, but after being disappointed with NBC's "Chuck" and pretty much anything new on Fox, I'm pleasantly surprised with how much I liked this show. Yeah, it's over the top, and a few of the jokes and characters fell flat for me, but it's unique. I'm not even embarrassed to say I plan on tuning in next week. Collapse
  30. TerryR
    Sep 27, 2007
    A lot in the show was sort of cliche and obvious, but it had it's funny moments. If you are a Ray Wise fan (which I have been since Robocop) you really enjoy his scenes and he makes it worth it. But the characters are a little one dimensional. Ok, the hero is a slacker guy who gets put into situations where "he can make a difference". The best friend is totally worthless...they spent A lot in the show was sort of cliche and obvious, but it had it's funny moments. If you are a Ray Wise fan (which I have been since Robocop) you really enjoy his scenes and he makes it worth it. But the characters are a little one dimensional. Ok, the hero is a slacker guy who gets put into situations where "he can make a difference". The best friend is totally worthless...they spent too much time watching the 40 year old virgin when they wrote his character. That love interest girl is just boring. The best character is obviously the Devil one...the take on him although not totally originally works because of Wise. So, it has it's moments, but there is nothing really new here. I will continue to give it a chance. Expand
  31. FäknaméG.
    Sep 28, 2007
    Best new show on the year. The kind of show you can set your watch to.
  32. MattA.
    Sep 28, 2007
    Witty, cleaver dialogue, just a little off center and a little wrong, whats not to like.
  33. GilG.
    Jan 2, 2008
    Best series Ever!!!!
  34. MikeM.
    Apr 21, 2008
    Programs that have characters you want to see every week are hard to find this show might have two of the best on TV today in Tyler Labine's Sock and Ray Wise's slick portrayal of the devil. Keep this show on the air.
  35. AnnM
    May 19, 2008
    Reaper is probably the first show I have found (that includes the supernatural) that can be watched by anyone. It's such an easy-going, hilarious, gripping show that you could watch it a hundred times over and still laugh and smile. This show should definately be kept on air, I don't know what my Wednesdays would be like without it! (thank God E4 brought it to the UK!) Keep up Reaper is probably the first show I have found (that includes the supernatural) that can be watched by anyone. It's such an easy-going, hilarious, gripping show that you could watch it a hundred times over and still laugh and smile. This show should definately be kept on air, I don't know what my Wednesdays would be like without it! (thank God E4 brought it to the UK!) Keep up the good work guys, Ray Wise is terrific, Bret Harrison keeps the likeability factor and Tyler Labine is simply hilarious. A terrific show. I would recommend it to anyone. Expand
  36. ChistopherH
    May 9, 2008
    Been watching this on E4 in the UK probably the best series i have seen in along time. The Devil played by Ray Wise is superb. One to definitely watch has something in it for everyone.
  37. cathyk
    Jun 11, 2009
    I love this show's blend of character-driven humor, supernatural and evil elements, slapstick, action, and romance. Yes, romance. Fans at reaperdmv are working to save the show, join us.
  38. HeatherM
    Nov 14, 2007
    This show is SOOO entertaining! It's my favorite show on right now. I can see room for improvement in plot development but I really look forward to it every week.
  39. JeffA.
    Nov 2, 2007
    Bret Harrison and Ray Wise are perfect!
  40. WillyS.
    Nov 7, 2007
    Great show!
  41. HelloE.
    Sep 25, 2007
    So why did you give it a 3 Kevin L.? Best show I've seen in a long time. Perfect balance between comedy and drama. The fight scenes are goofy and fun but the whole show somehow manages to ground itself in reality with the character even tho the premise is strange. Basically it's like Ghost Busters + Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
  42. JonesL.
    Great show. Loved it.
  43. CarlM.
    Sep 26, 2007
    it is so rare that u watch a tv show for the first time and ur already laughing out loud after the opening scene until the end.
  44. PatD.
    Sep 26, 2007
    Good show backed by a great cast.
  45. joeyb
    Asshat? Genius!
  46. AJ
    Sep 26, 2007
    Ive been really disenchanted with all the crap network television has been producing over the last few years, but this show seems refreshing. The writing is really funny and the acting is pretty damn good. But whats up with the fat guys hair cut?
  47. HenryG.
    Feb 15, 2008
    I'm glad Kevin Smith wasn't involved with more then directing the pilot which was written by other, more talented people. This show is funny and has been pretty consistent. Too bad it's on that awful CW network which will be going under before this decade is even out. Maybe ABC studios will start syndicating new episodes. It would probably get better ratings.
  48. LuluR.
    Feb 27, 2008
    A fantastic show with a brilliantly unique idea. All roles are played exceptionally well and the devil kicks ass! Keep them coming. A refreshing change for Tv to be so good x.
  49. JohnM.
    Mar 14, 2008
    I don't know why I started watching this show but I am hooked. I love the cast interaction and the quality acting by all the cast. I think the devil is perfect for his role and the way Sam deals with what is thrown at him is funny. The slacker crew really comes through and even though I want Sam to get Andi (and Sock to get Josie) I want to see more of the Devil's daughter. I I don't know why I started watching this show but I am hooked. I love the cast interaction and the quality acting by all the cast. I think the devil is perfect for his role and the way Sam deals with what is thrown at him is funny. The slacker crew really comes through and even though I want Sam to get Andi (and Sock to get Josie) I want to see more of the Devil's daughter. I hope this show lasts and lasts. Expand
  50. RussellH.
    Mar 19, 2008
    Fantastic show just gets better and better.
  51. LM.
    Apr 15, 2008
    Reaper is fun and unique, a nice break from the usual TV shows.
  52. RobertP
    May 26, 2008
    This is the best new show on tv hands down. it is sad it is on a network who cares more about 18-34 year old women then quality program, if it was on any other network, it would be one of the most watched shows on TV.
  53. DaveG
    Sep 12, 2008
    Pure genius. Its like one big spin-off from Clerks, but with a better 'premise'. Ray Wise is just a scream as the Devil, and the rest of the cast are all so likeable. I appreciate the Chicago Tribune reviewers link to Joss Whedon, because this has become my favorite TV show since Firefly. I sincerely hope it doesn't suffer the same fate. The only disappointment with Reaper Pure genius. Its like one big spin-off from Clerks, but with a better 'premise'. Ray Wise is just a scream as the Devil, and the rest of the cast are all so likeable. I appreciate the Chicago Tribune reviewers link to Joss Whedon, because this has become my favorite TV show since Firefly. I sincerely hope it doesn't suffer the same fate. The only disappointment with Reaper is that its not every week we get to hear Gladys say 'Place the vessel on the mat' - makes me LOL every time I hear her say that Expand
  54. SeanD
    Dec 15, 2009
    One of the best shows on TV. DON'T CANCEL IT !!
  55. StaceyE
    May 26, 2009
    I love this show. I have to watch it every week, and if I'm not home I record it. Please keep this show on the air!!
  56. DavidB.
    Nov 28, 2007
    At first I didn't really like the show, but it grew on me over time and now I love it.
  57. Mar 23, 2011
    Honestly one of my favorite shows of all time. This show was seriously entertaining and funny. Reminds me a lot of the Ghostbusters. And Ray Wise was pure awesome as the devil. Wish it was never cancelled. Would love to see the show picked back up. Lots of fun could be had with this license and a decent base of writers.
  58. Dec 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Reaper has an interesting plot, great starting and a good cast in general. I personally enjoyed the show as it never fails to entertain you from time to time. I admit that the show was great until they moved next door to the two homosexual demons, which was were the show got to the peak and viewers started to find the season a bit less entertaining. Expand
  59. Aug 8, 2015
    Reaper took eternal damnation and made it funny. Although it was far from a masterpiece, (and often went around in circles when it came to any sort of long arc), each and every individual episode had something that I loved about it. Also, as far as I'm concerned, Ray Wise really is the devil and no one can tell me otherwise.

1. Entertainment Weekly
    Reviewed by: Gillian Flynn
    Wise steals this, show, and his costars aren't easy prey. What's more, the dynamic is quite clever. [28 Sep 2007, p.94]
    Kevin Smith directs the pilot episode with his typically expert comic timing. But he also handles the dark action bits nicely. Because even though Reaper is generous with its humor, it’s not entirely wink-wink.
  3. Besides being the funniest pilot, it has the best cast.