• Network: NBC
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 17, 2012
  • Season #: 1 , 2
5.9

1. Oct 11, 2014
    I was really excited to see this show. I loved the concept of technology going out, because we are so dependent on technology now. It would make everyone mad, but I wish they showed us a little of how people ended up killing themselves over the lack of technology before skipping ahead 15 years. I also wish the acting was better. The characters are really not relatable at all, either. Sure, that one guy has asthma, but that is just a lame attempt to make him relatable. I love conspiracy sci fi shows, but this one was just too horrible. I am writing this review after only having watched half of the first episode. It was so bad, i had to stop watching. I'm going to try watching a few more, but I would NOT recommend this show Expand
  2. Jun 11, 2014
    This is my favorite post-apocalyptic show! In addition, it's the most realistic post-apocalyptic show as well, and aside from that it has characters anyone can relate to played by a great cast!!!
  3. Jun 4, 2014
    The concept is intriguing. The execution is dreadful. Now a lot of folks get hung up on "engines should still work" (gasoline engines need spark plugs to run), but in fact the consistency in this "high concept" area is one of the best parts of the show. Sadly, very little attention was paid to any other details of setting or internal consistency. Worse, Tracy Spiridakos absolutely ruins every scene she is in. When she's not providing incongrous comic relief with her all-purpose constipated brow furrow, she destroys any vestige of tension or drama with her vapid smirk. I want to scream at her through the screen, You're standing on a landmine seconds away from death! Wipe that smile off your face! What is wrong with you!?!?! Expand
  4. May 12, 2014
    Really enjoyed the original premise of the show. The characters were interesting and I wanted to see where this was going. It has now degenerated to nothing but fight scene followed by battle scene, followed by further gore. If the show would return to character development and the initial premise, I would stay with it. I don't want to watch a video game! But I don't want to see it cancelled without RESOLUTION. Expand
  5. May 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I like this show a lot. The electricity going out is a cool thing, but it has some plot holes about its realism. One thing that really sucks in this show is how nails and screws are the answer to every problem. I'll explain: When Danny is captured by militia, he's attached by cuffs to a pipe. How does he escape? The screws are slightly loose, so he only needs to take them off. When Charlie is strapped to a chair that's attached to the floor. How does she escape? The screws are loose, so she just has to wave around a bit until they come off. When Charlie and Danny are inprisoned in a cell? They remove the screws off a ventilation shaft. When Neville is hostage by the Rebels and cuffed? There's a nail so conveniently on the ground.
    These cheesy solutions to trouble leaves frustrated as the writers couldn't find a way to make escapes smarter. But the plot and characters still rock, so a solid 6 should do it.
  6. Mar 9, 2014
    Very enjoyable show that combines civi war era tech with a post apocalyptic setting. Great exploration into human dependence on technology and the power it unleashes. Full of witty one liners and rich setting. Took a few episodes for characters to settle in but is currently definitely a show worth watching.
  7. Jan 6, 2014
    I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic drama, the dire version of things, like Battlestar Galactica, where humanity is holding on by a very thin thread and unlikely to survive. I love the concept of throwing away all that we know and seeing how the dice will land, something which I guessed Revolution would revolve around. In fact, the initial premise -that all electrical things stop working ad infinitum- is one I've asked myself quite frequently. A mighty and consistent solar flare that renders all electrical equipment unusable, or an alien technology that unpowers any electrical current.

As a thinker though, the concept is hugely flawed by pure logic. If everything electronic stops, so do we. Firstly, our neural reactions will dull, the sinoatrial node around the heart will stop receiving and sending signals regarding heartbeat, and well, you get the idea. We'll die too.

But let's for arguments sake believe this contrived idea that "physics went insane" and believe that cars, aeroplanes, computers and all other things made by man (until that point) stop working. Let's even push the insane button on our make-believe plot and believe that it's not about the electricity or even the mechanical value that causes something to stop working. Hell, I'm really gonna push the barrier here and say that, because it's man-made, it doesn't work. Because let's face it, we have fire, but no steam engines (among other things). So perhaps it's in the metal we use?

AS far as I can push my imagination, there is no answer to this ridiculous premise. The mere fact that they can use guns debunks the entire idea that an engine can't work. It's an entirely broken concept and that's what the whole series is based on. Let's face it, no one tuned into this show for a riveting tale of curious plots of love and intrigue. We wanted to see how the premise could exist, how it would unfold, and how people who survived would adapt. An entire series based on a flawed concept cannot sustain much intrigue (or viewership) and I think this show will fall faster than those unpowered planes in the first few minutes (probably the most fun in the whole series).

Other than the clear problem with the premise, the understanding of post-apocalypse is very wanting. Clean clothes, beautiful skin, no sense of survival and fighting, terrible props (the town looks like something out of a bad rpg) and one-dimensional acting Though, give the actors some credit, there's really not much for them to work with here. And then there's the writing. I only have a few key words which guided their terrible script: Mechanical and electric gone; Pretty girl; swashbuckling uncle; stupid people; propaganda. It's just TERRIBLE all-round.

If I have one word of advice regarding this show: don't waste your valuable electricity (and time) watching it.
  8. Jan 5, 2014
    Rubbish at almost every level: appalling writing, photography, direction, and acting. There is no serious attempt to deal with the prospect of a "powerless" world. It's just a hook on which to hang entirely predictable plot moves and unbelievably dreary dialog. The main character is a boring, self-righteous, fool with no redeeming features. Boring and foolish, together with wholly unbelievable applies to almost all of the characters and the entire show, with the honorable exception of the bloke from Breaking Bad who brings some intensity to his role. Save time, save energy, save yourself: this is a Revolution that should not be televised. Expand
  9. Dec 22, 2013
    Great TV series, lots of action and suspense. Love the story line and can't wait to see more. It's a movie for great minds and actors could be prettier but all in all it's an amazing tv series.
  10. Nov 23, 2013
    Despite subpar acting and a little too many plot twists this show is still watchable if you have a good capability of suspending your disbelief. Scenery is really good and the story really goes forward.
  11. Nov 22, 2013
    Starts off with promise, but dreadfully drawn out with unbelievably repeated confrontations between main rival characters (one of which would have killed the other on the second confrontation). Childish flaws in the most obvious of scenarios. I am not even going to talk about all the technology springing to life after being idle for yrs (it wouldnt). Endless sword fights, because there is no ammo (when was electricity required to make munitions?)
    The writers of this are hopelessly inept.
    The actors, bless em, have put a good effort into what has turned into the most boring repetitive sci-fi show in a long time and they deserve better parts in future for keeping professionally to contract and not jumping ship.
    i have watched 22 episodes of this electricless soap, and remain uncharged.
    Utter RUBBISH! 2 out of 10.
    And the reviewer who said this was better than Falling Skies must be smoking dried magic mushrooms.
  12. Nov 5, 2013
    I tuned in to Ep 1 with high hopes but couldn't endure more than 1/2 hr. Two women with spandex cleavage traversing the countryside filled with marauding bandits. A critical shortage of food and water but not of Eddie Bauer outerwear and hair conditioner. And words, blah, blah blah... a post-apocalyptic world would be one of action, not incessant blither. I can buy that for some reason the unit charge of the electron as a universal constant suddenly changed, but this? Expand
  13. Nov 2, 2013
    This started out awful but got better halfway through the season. It was so bad that it was hard to get to that point, though. I hope it keeps improving.
  14. Oct 24, 2013
    This I will admit almost lost me during the first few episodes, but the second half of the season was incredibly strong with tension, much more believable relationships between the actors, and a finale which tied up loose strings whilst blowing the show's concept wide open for future seasons. Elizabeth Mitchell is always watchable, and the others grew into their roles. The latter half reminded me a little of the earlier seasons of Lost which in its earlier seasons I loved. Expand
  15. Oct 17, 2013
    Characters were very annoying and forced, and the story line was pretty terrible. It felt like a B-movie smeared over a long period of time and it was a massive anti-climax when compared to what the adverts seemed to promise.
  16. Oct 17, 2013
    It's difficult to hate this series, but it was so disappointing. I loved the idea, but it just wasn't done justice.

As has been said before in these reviews, maybe our expectations were too high. I rented the series1 on blue ray and watched all 800+ minutes over 5 days. It sagged seriously In the middle and I almost gave up, then it picked up a bit, so I persevered. It was close
    though, I almost canned it.

The most annoying thing was the believeability, the actors don't age, the injuries are either life threatening too easily and they die or they shrug off serious injuries with apparent ease. The middle roaming episodes got very boring band arrives somewhere, walks unprepared into a fortress and defeats the baddies" again and again and again.

The sets all started to look the same. I started playing the "Oh that was the hospital in the episode three, now it's a lab" game.

One episode they are trapped in a huge network of underground tunnels and "the lack of oxygen" gives them
    plot flashbacks and physical manifestations...oh puleeez... Very lame, lazy writing.

One other reviewer mentioned the fact that they overused the family are held hostige to force them to do something. Completely agree. The other was that everyone seems to get tied to a chair in an empty room and punched in the face, there are surely more imaginative ways. Really... Every time?

The mom has been a prisoner of a psychopath for 7 years and talks about "what you did to me" but looks like she has spent a month at a spa. Also her annoying pout twitch did my head in.

All in all, its like Fastfood, I was hungry, I ate it, I now regret it... I won't be tuning in to S2 even if Charlie gets her kit off.
  17. Oct 17, 2013
    Revolution is a cross-breed of two of my most favorite series: Nikita and The Walking Dead. Screw all those scientific disapprovals others have about the settings. You don't watch Revolution because you care about the science, you watch it because you care about how the fates of the characters will turn out and how they deal their lives in a post-apocalyptic setup.
  18. Oct 10, 2013
    Revolution is an action/adventure/survival show with a great premise. The power has been stolen from the world. Journey with a cast of likeable and strong characters as they fight to discover why and fix the problem. Aspects of the show that make it great television, are the fantastic movie worthy fight sequences, the original and clever science fiction elements, and lots of espionage and betrayal. You don't need zombies to do a post apocalyptic show right. Expand
  19. Oct 7, 2013
    Great show, great characters, many twists. I am not a big science-fiction fan but Revolution is enough to keep me interested week to week. Yes, it isn't perfect, but it's sci-fi so not everything is going to be cohesive with reality.
  20. Oct 6, 2013
    one of the stupidest shows on TV right now. first off the acting is absolutely horrible and most of the characters are extremely annoying. second the concept is retarded for a tv show and its obvious these people had no idea what they were doing.
  21. Oct 6, 2013
    I enjoyed this show. Maybe it's because I'm a fan of end-of-the-world kind of scenarios. Over the course of the season it was interesting, but I wasn't shocked by anything. It was quite basic storytelling. The acting was a little iffy so there's room for improvement there. Hopefully season two will be a lot better!
  22. Oct 3, 2013
    Revolution: Evolving Backwards

It's obvious now that discerning viewers have been spoiled (and not a little surprised) by good television Drama writing in the last decade or so. It's like the Medium finally grew up and the enlightened realized that characters could be deeply explored; that complex plots could be provided with rich episodic exposition; that with good direction and
    scripts, personal histories and inference could explain hidden, subtle or conflicting motivations; that nuanced development, realistic propositions and believable protaganists framed within the "classic movie” framework, armed with huge multiples of fixed-time, could be raised to an art form.

With dramas such as The Wire, Six Feet Under, Breaking Bad, Band of Brothers, The Sopranos, Mad Men and even the Walking Dead and a handful of others raising the standard of storytelling, television is able to finally surpass the advantage of huge budgets in major feature films primarily by virtue of excellent writing alone. With viewers investing seasons and years into the "lives" of their favourite characters it's now obvious that when television is good, it can be really, really Good. But, there are always and, it seems, as seldom as not, imitators to those thrones, blatant knock-offs aplenty.

There are also the plain lazy. Bad writing and directing efforts, entire productions that "kind of get" the salient highlights of those inspirational pack leaders, but miss the point of exceptional TV entirely. Entirely.

This series Revolution reflects the Golden Age of Television. It really does. When drama writers and directors only had to fill a screen for 45 minutes of mindless, directionless, abstract action to attract advertisers. This series certainly must have looked good on paper once as a loose idea maybe. Not the way the actual script turned out...

Look: Apocalypse without those fusty, messy and unpredictable Undead beheaded to litter the landscape with, so comparatively low on the special effects bottom line. No questionable, nasty killings like those grubby, greedy gangsters trying to make a dirty buck. No heavy morality plays or transformation of characters to confound or unsettle the viewer, just Good or Evil writ large complete with mock SS uniforms. No clever art production to fuss over just find locations in states of decay, disrepair or neglect. Not too hard to find in the USA these days at all.

The Golden Age of TV was when there were simply no other options. Any plot hole, crap production value, inconsistencies, impossibly invincible heroes, rank stereo-typing and cliche was what viewers expected, generally got and rare was the exception indeed. No other options. Maybe as far back as before renting VHS tapes. Those days before surfing YouTube for sure and aside from Star Trek or The Twilight Zone it was all pretty…lacking and unimaginative. Yet people still watched even worse TV. Until certain groundbreaking series and whether that was Star Trek, The Twilight Zone, it’s just what TV was, in it’s Golden Age.

Revolution takes those same liberties. Big ones that glare like a cathode ray...

- The USA has been seemingly reduced to the size of Rhode Island as characters seem to traverse distances in hours.
    - It’s easy to find somebody in Chicago just walk onto the set.
    - Principals in t-shirts with no regard to weather or colder nights. A human can die of exposure at temperatures as high as 60 degrees Fahrenheit. Each has a smallish backpack supposedly containing: food, water, extra clothing, tools, explosives, wiring, fuses, shaving toiletries, hair and beauty products, blankets, utensils, etc.
    - Mature characters have not gained weight, scarred or added a wrinkle in 15 years. They look exactly the same as present day. One is still even morbidly obese after 15 years of foraging, “hunting” or eating canned food. His beard is the same length now, as is his and everyone else's hair. Most male characters that aren’t clean shaven merely have 5 o’clock shadows illustrating "duress and hardship".
    - Every character seemingly has a convenient hostage interest.
    - Each character is a stereotype. Either gloating, obvious Evil or a Good person with a conflicted, sketchy back story.
    - Acting is deplorable, sets are random, premise seemed interesting but proves ridiculous, characters flip flop and have questionable motives, explosions, art direction is virtually non-existent...

Oh forget it. I could go on and on with this series, I guess I’ll just be lazy too. Everyone seems to be running around in circles all the time or just making the same speeches every time they’re on camera. So little done with so much, every time one thinks or looks. For the viewer as well as the actors.

But you know, if this really was a Golden Age production there would be no blood at all. Which would seem quite appropriate for such a confused and bloodless series. I’m giving it 2/10 because I’m watching it as a Comedy and that’s just golden to me
  23. Oct 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Miles gets taken and tied up by Monroe gets taken and tied up by Both escape and kill (number of their captors). Fill in the blanks, and you've got any given episode of Revolution. Expand
  24. Sep 17, 2013
    i have watched every episode and can't wait until season 2. this show has really captured my attention! Eric Kripke keep up the good work and go on like NCIS.
  25. Sep 13, 2013
    Not a horrible 'concept' for a television show, and has its moments. However, the acting is absolutely dreadful and the situational story lines are far fetched in their best moments. In short, very difficult to watch a whole episode without rolling your eyes a bit as yet another conveniently loose bolt frees your hero from near death situation once again. Sure are a lot of loose bolts in post apocalyptic Illinois huh? Two of them in the first four episodes. That is my warning to you. If lazy cliched action adventure writing and poor carpentry is your thing. This is the show for you. Expand
  26. Sep 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This show had potential and it showed, but the execution of this was horrific. Not to mention some of the acting is just terrible. Tracy Spiridakos, or Charlie is an example of the acting going downhill. The most notable scene where her acting tanks is in the trailers where she asks Billy Burke, Miles, to help her look for her brother. Because her acting acts when it matters the most, I don't really believe the stuff they are trying to achieve.

Beware of spoilers from here on in.
    Now, I can personally forgive terrible acting if the story is good. But, unfortunately, the story is a mess. The concept was full of potential than it got stabbed 37 times in the chest and left to die in the forest. Fifteen years before the official arc of the story, an even called the blackout happened, electricity seem to disappear as soon as a current is formed. For some unexplained reason, the United States fell from this even though they have enough men to send orders by horse-back to their military bases, but if the government didn't fall, we won't have this series. And so, a hand full of nations rose to power, one of them is the Monroe Republic.

Here is plot hole number one: why does Charlie NOT know Miles was the general of the militia?! Here is the convenience to help explain that away: her village was isolated so she never really heard much of the militia or the Republic. I swear, these conveniences ruin the series for me as the writers couldn't write their way out of a giant paper bag.

It seems the fate of every person in this series is determined by the writing gods. It seems every time the main characters are faced with a life or death fire fight, they seem to kill everyone and leave without a scratch. The only time they die or get injured is when the script calls for it or a sad attempt to make it believable. "Oh look, they haven't been injured in a while, we better hit them with a bullet now." The best example with this is the attempted assassination of President Monroe, Jeremy doesn't get hit, but the four men surrounding him does. This is to move the plot along, with failed attempts at emotion.

Not only the father-daughter relationship between Miles and Charlie is unbelievable because of the acting on Tracy's side, it is also because of the lack of character development. Relationships pop out of the writer's asses. Jason and Charlie met in one of the first episodes, exchanged a couple of dialog than, he becomes a protective love sick puppy of Charlie. There is no reason for this so called love. There is none and there is no reason for it existing. It seems contrived like every relationship in this series. Miles and Nora, Miles and Rachel, Aaron and his wife, Miles and Monroe. We are always slapped with an underdeveloped situation with a quick sequence of why these relationships exist. Are we suppose to take these to heart, because there was no heart in any of them. Half way through the series I had forgotten who Maggie was. I am sure I'm going to forget Nora when season 2 comes.

Contrived, convenient situations with no emotional backing. What's next for this nonsensical plot? Yeah, they kill off Danny, eliminating the whole point of the "saving Danny" arc. What they should done is to skip the whole saving Danny thing to begin with as it never mattered to me to begin with. Remember, as the characters are one-dimensional cardboard I didn't care for Danny.

The whole "mystery" aura of the series actually works against them regarding Miles and Monroe. You are waiting to see what went wrong with their bromance and they possibly never even shown the tipping point yet. From what I can tell, this is another convenient point in the story as Miles never talked to Monroe about his troubles about him. Once he sensed Monroe was going too far, he just decides he wants to kill him. If you care for someone that much, especially when you're guilty of some of those atrocities yourself, can't you just talk it over?

The thing with Randall Flynn, omg. He was working with the USA all along and was planning to destroy both Monroe and Georgia to make way for the government to come back. If all he needed to do was that, WHY ON EARTH DID HE GO TO MONROE IN THE FIRST PLACE? All that he had to do was to go to level 12 and launch the nukes. Than Monroe and Rachel won't have ever have got in. What about the Moe people? Don't worry about them, they can't hit stuff for their life and they let main antagonists go as Flynn CONVENIENTLY sneaks pass them to the launch room.

Despite it all and more, I want to see what happens next. It is not a good show by any standard but, I'm interested to see what happens next. Like the majorly flawed shows like The Event and Terra Nova, they had good concepts, horrible execution, no emotion, yet the events that unfold are what hooks you. A war between two nations without power, but Monroe has working fighter drones. Not that I care about anything involving the characters, but I want to see what happens.
  27. Aug 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pretty bad. Characters keep commenting on how well Charlie does in off-screen fights, but all of her action sequences involve her being helpless and someone saving her. All of the characters are unrealistic and are hard to form a connection with except for Aaron; the one believable character who isn't even needed to advance the plot. Monroe obsession with Miles is almost homo erotic. Jason character could be good if he would man up and take out his dad. All main ncharacter motivations are extremely farfetched. Supporting/cameo characters actually have meaningful and believable actions/responses. And ENOUGH with the flashbacks. Just do a prequel season or something. The premise of the show was so good, but got bogged down with love stories and meaningless flashbacks that are made to make the viewer care about the characters, but utterly fail. Focusing less on saving the world and more on day to day survival would make this much more watchable. Expand
  28. Aug 24, 2013
    The first episode was predictable and slow, It didn't grab you by the throat, but it was a good idea, maybe for a different time, good try NBC. As for entertainment goes, it was not there. Just something, about it, made it dull. I see here it's not worth watching more.
  29. Aug 5, 2013
    Revolution is bad, really bad at times. The show suffers from the curse of its connections to Lost. The writers deliver some episodes of absolute dross, usually in the form of contrived tangents and side-quests to the character's main objectives, only to finish most episodes with some form of tiny reveal of the show's grand story, which the writers seemingly make up week by week.

The
    swashbuckling sword fighting nature of the show's early episodes give way to episodes loaded with some of the lamest, most repetitive gun fights ever, punctuated with characters of frustrating stupidity and tediousness. The main character Charlie (Tracy Spiridakos) is an annoyingly righteous, not to mention stupid, teenage girl in the Hunger Game mould, who repeatedly clashes with her self-serving, stylised bad guy Uncle as many times as she has to be rescued by him after more poor judgement. The writers clearly tried to make Miles (Billy Burke) the show's anti-hero, a womanising, boozing killer wrecked by his past indiscretions and the show would have been better if they would have stuck to their guns but they all too often give in because he's one of the good guys.

Revolution's single shining light (no pun intended) is Giancarlo Esposito's turn as Captain Tom Neville, easily the show's best character. That is all.

The similarities to Flashforward and Lost are all too obvious. The score, the flashbacks (actually more enjoyable than the present day action), the mysterious world changing event, the 'hatch' 'tower' are all borrowed with varying degrees of mediocrity.

At times watching Revolution I wished that the world's power would blackout to save me, I'll be skipping season two despite the slightly intriguing set-up in the finale. Another interesting concept from the J.J. Abrams stable (see Alcatraz) fails to live up to it's potential.
  30. CFM
    Aug 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The first episode started well, then it went downhill. The power has gone off, why? One man can only answer this but he has just been shoot. His son, Danny has been kidnapped. Enter his sister, uncle Miles, his mother a bunch other misfits to rescue him. Spend months wondering a round forests, as the poor weak Danny tries to survive his captives. Finally, rescued from the baddies he is shot and dies. Thank God! You have to give credit to the writers because no-one is off limits and they knew killing off Danny was a great idea because, put it this way, the series was on the road to being a dud. Finally, after 9 episodes we start to get a series that has a plot and story line that is of interest. It is a pity because the second half is entertaining but you wonder how many people have already switched off by this point?
    If you can get through the first half of the series you may find something of interest.

1. Reviewed by: David Hiltbrand
    Sep 24, 2012
    Revolution had better worry about generating some voltage of its own. The pilot was excellent, but where does it go from here?
  2. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Sep 21, 2012
    This is well-produced, but it could just as well be Mission:Colonial. [1 Oct 2012, p.38]
  3. Reviewed by: Troy Patterson
    Sep 18, 2012
    On the bright side, no one is in danger of having to watch this inert action show.