• Network: NBC
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 17, 2012
  • Season #: 1 , 2
5.7

1. Sep 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The pilot reminds me of many other shows of this type, including Jericho. I hope it strikes out on its own. Even the computer communication at the end of the first ep reminded me of Fringe. Who is she communicating with? Interesting, but they'd better learn from Fringe and start giving us some bread crumbs before the end of the first season. And they need to keep Giancarlo's acting very subtle - less bombastic - more like Gus from Breaking Bad, and less like his character from Do the Right Thing. Expand
  2. Sep 28, 2012
    The premise is preposterous however I was willing to suspend my belief in the laws of science and go along. The real crime is that the characters are boring as all get out. Sorry J.J., this one's looking like another Terra Nova.
  3. Oct 6, 2013
    I enjoyed this show. Maybe it's because I'm a fan of end-of-the-world kind of scenarios. Over the course of the season it was interesting, but I wasn't shocked by anything. It was quite basic storytelling. The acting was a little iffy so there's room for improvement there. Hopefully season two will be a lot better!
  4. Oct 10, 2013
    Revolution is an action/adventure/survival show with a great premise. The power has been stolen from the world. Journey with a cast of likeable and strong characters as they fight to discover why and fix the problem. Aspects of the show that make it great television, are the fantastic movie worthy fight sequences, the original and clever science fiction elements, and lots of espionage and betrayal. You don't need zombies to do a post apocalyptic show right. Expand
  5. Sep 17, 2012
    The best new show since "Touch". Revolution is a great post apocalyptic show that is almost as good as "The Walking Dead". Anyone and everyone who loves to see some violence, see some plot twists, see some action, and see a very good show should catch Revolution.
  6. Oct 12, 2012
    This show has an amazing concept but the creators and writers can't seem to utilize it properly. A few of the cast members are too bad at acting. I wonder what's the future of this show? Are they going to tell us what really happened or are they just going to do what the creators of Persons Unknown did? That's the one thing we need to think of.
  7. Jun 11, 2013
    I honestly, really don't know what to do with this show. They keep hitting us with plot twists and MIND-BLOWING storylines that make you yell out "Oh My God that did not just happen" at each ending of a weekly episode. It's storyline is rich, it's pinch of sense of humor is a charm, and I believe the acting could be better by Elizabeth, Tracy, Zak. Well because you never get through a scene without seeing Elizabeth crying. You never get through a scene where Zak doesn't have that "what on earth is going on?" look. And Tracy is just so ambitious which is one day going to make her fans hate her, however I really praise Billy Burke. Hands down, best NEW show of the season. Expand
  8. Aug 5, 2013
    Revolution is bad, really bad at times. The show suffers from the curse of its connections to Lost. The writers deliver some episodes of absolute dross, usually in the form of contrived tangents and side-quests to the character's main objectives, only to finish most episodes with some form of tiny reveal of the show's grand story, which the writers seemingly make up week by week.

The
    swashbuckling sword fighting nature of the show's early episodes give way to episodes loaded with some of the lamest, most repetitive gun fights ever, punctuated with characters of frustrating stupidity and tediousness. The main character Charlie (Tracy Spiridakos) is an annoyingly righteous, not to mention stupid, teenage girl in the Hunger Game mould, who repeatedly clashes with her self-serving, stylised bad guy Uncle as many times as she has to be rescued by him after more poor judgement. The writers clearly tried to make Miles (Billy Burke) the show's anti-hero, a womanising, boozing killer wrecked by his past indiscretions and the show would have been better if they would have stuck to their guns but they all too often give in because he's one of the good guys.

Revolution's single shining light (no pun intended) is Giancarlo Esposito's turn as Captain Tom Neville, easily the show's best character. That is all.

The similarities to Flashforward and Lost are all too obvious. The score, the flashbacks (actually more enjoyable than the present day action), the mysterious world changing event, the 'hatch' 'tower' are all borrowed with varying degrees of mediocrity.

At times watching Revolution I wished that the world's power would blackout to save me, I'll be skipping season two despite the slightly intriguing set-up in the finale. Another interesting concept from the J.J. Abrams stable (see Alcatraz) fails to live up to it's potential.
  9. Nov 20, 2012
    The combination of Abrams and Kripke might be fantastic, but the pilot unfortunately was not. Yes, it's too early to tell and I'll be waiting a while to really make up my mind but from the pilot it doesn't look good. Wrong casting choices, too many plot-holes, stupid choices and alot of wooden acting. The premise seems OK so maybe with the introduction of new subplots and characters I will end up liking it. Expand
  10. Oct 17, 2013
    Revolution is a cross-breed of two of my most favorite series: Nikita and The Walking Dead. Screw all those scientific disapprovals others have about the settings. You don't watch Revolution because you care about the science, you watch it because you care about how the fates of the characters will turn out and how they deal their lives in a post-apocalyptic setup.
  11. Jun 14, 2013
    This show is slow and a cheesy poor story line. It feels overdone and forced. The original loss of power is cool, but everything else is bad. Action feels forced. And the twists and other stuff that happens feels like I already know it is coming an episode before.
  12. Oct 6, 2012
    Some shows require some suspension of disbelief but make it up with well drawn out characters, good acting and interesting stories. This is not one of those shows.
    You have to be completely brain dead to buy in the premise of the show or you're are a member of a religious group that doesn't use any machines and technology and have no clue about the most basic laws of physics.
    Even if we
    choose to believe that it's possible that guns work but machines based on explosions don't, I'm pretty sure that it's still possible to boil water. And if that works, you can use steam engines.
    So why not take those old steam trains in the museums and put them back on rails and you're able to use trains for transport. Use steam engines to build stuff. But of course, that also doesn't work.
    And we're supposed to believe that one woman or man or a group of three can just march through the woods without being attacked be a group of say, at least a dozen brutes that lure in the bushes to rape and kill? I don't.
    And that son is being arrested by a dozen to twenty militia guys with guns and I'm supposed to believe that on their way back they won't be ambushed somewhere by a pack of 50 to 100 guys armed with bows that want to kill them and take their guns and food? Even with guns, a dozen militia guys wouldn't stand a chance. The entire world and the scenarios we're being presented aren't credible or plausible.
    How is one militia, no matter how big, going to control a country as vast as the (former) U.S.? No way.
    And all the main characters are wandering around somewhere trying to find something/someone or do something important and every time it looks so poorly prepared. Never do they stay together when arriving at a new place with people they don't know. I could go on and on, oh dear!
    But there's even more. It seems that there are devices looking like amulets that you activate which then emit some kind of energy that makes technology work again. Even computers - and networks.
    One woman is able to communicate via a terminal application with someone in a remote place.
    A magic amulet! That is ludicrous! Watching an episode of Revolution makes me imagine Homer Simpson tearing out all of his hair. That's how bad it is.
    I didn't talk about the actors or the acting but facing this mess of a show, I don't think it matters one bit.
    I grant the show 2 points because the character's relationships and the stories can be engaging sometimes.
    So, if you're someone who has that extraordinary capability to buy into the silliest and most ludicrous premises and scenarios, go ahead and knock yourself out. If not, just stay away.
  13. Sep 18, 2012
    I am simply amazed how it was possible to deconstruct the entire concept of the setting within barely 15 minutes. It is an insult to the viewer to just claim "physics went insane" and then just a few minutes down the road we are shown that most of the quintessential parts of technology are not also perfectly functional, but also that the characters are obviously too stupid to realize. If semi-automatic firearms work, engines work. Simple as that. Boiled down to the basics, an engine is nothing but a self-repeating series of controlled explosions. The simplest designs do not even need electricity to work, if you'd be forced to build them without. But all that does not even matter, because everything else is just as bad and inconsistent as the setting. The art department did a horrible job and most important items and settings do not look real and lived in at all. They look like a badly done set for a soap commercial. Wear and tear of 15 years forced partial neglect is used so badly and inconsistently on everything, that they might not have bothered with it at all. It is clear that the people responsible for the visual design have no talent of observation. That is quite common and always a problem, because who cannot observe and comprehend are doomed to get everything wrong. When you do not know how to look at things, you are missing all vital questions. Say there is an object. Say an airplane. Parked in exactly one spot for 15 years. If you have never seen anything similar, you will mess it up. And they did. Not just this but everything you actually pay attention to. Look too hard and it falls apart. Last but not least, the show suffers from a disease that is an increasing problem these days: Character lobotomy syndrome. The people inside the fictional word are so incredibly stupid and make such incredibly unacceptable and horrid mistakes in the most basic department, that it is implausible that they are alive at all. So the world is dangerous? Really? A lot?! So you fenced in a village but nobody was smart enough ever to bother with any actual kind of sentries or a solid defense? Why are they still there? Did they get overlooked by everything bad for more than a decade? Simply impossible. They are either too stupid to still exist like they allegedly do, or everyone else who might have posed a problem is. Both ways, it adds up to a lot of stupid and incompetence for the setting. The show is a mess. Expand
  14. Sep 26, 2012
    The premise isn't very original. It doesn't hold a candle to the apocalyptic show The Walking Dead but it definitely beats out Falling Skies. Overall, this show as the potential to be something great. Let's hope they don't screw it up.
  15. May 4, 2013
    One of the terrible TV series lead actress is so mediocre and make her self look like a zombie.Effects and fights are so primitive. Also so the story is lame.
  16. Oct 16, 2012
    Ok I'm not gonna repeat what been said already... Read all the negative reviews because they are all spot on. What I will add though is.. With all the harsher living people have had to go through. It irks me no end that the young stars look like they came straight out of a Gap clothes store... And afterwards they must have visited a beauty salon... They look better than we do now.. I give this 1 point for having a good idea and 1 point for Gus Fring.
    Sanitized kindergarten stuff.
  17. Nov 10, 2012
    I feel dirty admitting this but I have watched every episode. Its like watching a car accident. Its horrific but you can't look away. Every week I think ok it could get better, but I'm prone to delusional thoughts at the best of times. The complete lack of plausibility in the plot has been pretty much covered in other reviews. The standard of acting by Tracy Spiridakos as Charlie is worthy of some sort of taxpayer funded investigation. How can a person with absolutely no acting skill whatsoever land a leading role in a money'd up network show? I could literally discuss it for hours if I could find anybody that gave a shi#
    Her repertoire of face pulls indicating grief, anger, fear are excruciating to watch. I keep watching in the hope she will eventually suffer a death befitting the crime perpetrated on the pathetic viewers like myself who continue to download this tripe week after week. I was a Lost fan which I suppose is why I am still watching but really please kill off Charlie she is godawfull bad. I'm serious
  18. Oct 12, 2012
    I watched the first three episodes, but that's it for me. The writing was passable at first, but rapidly deteriorated into formula "damsel in distress" soap opera. I cannot sympathize with the main characters, whose actions are so stupid and counter-intuitive that any decent writer would have killed them off in episode one. And, of course, the central mysteries of "Revolution" aren't really that hard to figure out, are they?

One bright spot is Giancarlo Esposito, whom I remember fondly from "Breaking Bad" as one of my favorite villains of all time. This series could have been really good, but it has turned into a low budget version of "The Hunger Games" instead. Teens with bows and arrows has been done better -- a lot better.
  19. May 8, 2013
    Stunningly bad, considering Eric Kripke is at the helm. I don't have the words to describe how poorly written Revolution is. And the acting? Burke and Esposito are doing what they can with terrible material, but Spiridakos is like a robot an annoying little pouting robot. I gave it most of a season before weighing in, to see if it found itself along the way. But it is as bad as ever sixteen episodes in. What a shame. I really wanted to like this show. Expand
  20. Nov 30, 2012
    It's not the most intriguing pilot of the history, but Revolution bring good action, adventure and interesting elements of sci-fi. If you like this things that is your show, J.J. Abrams and Erik Kripke build whole new world without energy and control by milicias, definitely deserves a chance to have your attention.
  21. Sep 18, 2012
    While I'm glad someone has released a show on network television that isn't serialized, I have strong doubts this one will go the distance. It attempts to be realistic, which doesn't leave much mystery for entertainment. Basically, it's a drama set in a world with no energy. This is dangerous, because it forces the entertainment value to fall solely on realism. Realism takes too much chaos and despair to be viable for network television, and this show offers little of either. Without realism or intrigue, Revolution falls flat. This show should take a page from Lost and give a story so interesting the viewer doesn't care whether it's realistic. Revolution fails in suspension of disbelief. Expand
  22. Sep 17, 2012
    I loved the pilot to this, So I will be watching more episodes. The pilot was great full of action, The actors reminded me of Hunger Games actors they were a little more coll then I thought they would be, meaning they weren't cheesy or anything like that. It was Revolution meets Lost, meets , The Book Of Eli, type action and backround or environment . Don't believe the bad reviews for this one and I do hope to see more Revolution. Expand
  23. Dec 14, 2012
    Just as every other new scifi show these days, it has to be a silly, stupid nonsense, with cliche motives, naive story and flat characters, trumped by an apparent, total lack of any scientific accuracy. I suggest to walk away and thus stop supporting show like that, clearly great success of BSG is not enough a message for "them" to realize, they are doing it all wrong.
  24. Sep 22, 2012
    A show set in an apocalyptic world sure seems pretty innocent and clean to me. The only people who look like they actually fought to survive the anarchy and chaos that inevitably ensued are the "bad" guys. If something like that actually happened you would not survive without having to do some horrible things. But this show pretends everyone is living peacefully and there are still ignorance about what is going on. Also the main characters are always clean with fancy clothes. Strange. And the two younger male actors are terrible. You can tell the minute they come on screen because they have skin tight t-shirts and somehow look even cleaner than the rest. I don't get why they cast people like that when they can clearly not act. Expand
  25. Nov 27, 2012
    This show has potential but is held back by bad planning and story line faux-pas. The characters are believable, and the situation one that makes for a good show. However the removal of characters after making them seem to be part of the main story, along with the fact that they seem to be getting nowhere as far as the main plot is concerned kind of turns me off.

Giving it a 7 so far,
    and hoping it gets better. Expand
  26. Dec 6, 2012
    Revolution has a good storyline, its been developed well. I just believe its not a "must watch" T.V series. But I'm pleased that the main cast has the potential to make the show work.
  27. Jan 16, 2013
    The whole premise of this show is a joke. The idea is interesting, but the premise of the "lights going out" is just stupid. You could tell from the previews this was a stinker. Crossbows? really? No ammo around for guns? Crossbows are so readily available too. No power and all the stars look freshly showered and dressed. They must live near a mall eh? There are alternate power sources like generators, solar, wind, hydro, etc. Are people too stupid to figure this out? Now they should have done something like this where a solar storm knocked out all the power on earth or an EMP maybe....but I'm not suspending my disbelief for crap like this. Expand
  28. Sep 27, 2012
    This show is awful for several fundamental reasons. 1 - The premise is ridiculous: "Physics went crazy, engines stopped working" - right, so engines (which are based on a controlled series of explosions) don't work, but guns do. The only thing this show does consistently is contradict the paper thin premise. 2 - It doesn't look post-apocalyptic. Everyone wears clean clothes, looks freshly showered and behave as if the whole thing is an extended camping trip. In the first episode, a small community doesn't even adequately defend itself in a world where armed gangs are rampaging and brutalizing those who can't defend themselves. If this were to really happen, lone communities would need to be armed to the teeth and hyper vigilant. Just look at current-day Somalia for an idea of what this SHOULD look like. 3 - The action scenes are terrible. Too many rapid cuts to different angles don't show a good fight scene - they just confuse what is a poorly-choreographed fight. 4 - A magic little USB device somehow powers a computer - which supposedly no longer works - AND somehow transmits a message to another computer who knows how far away. 5 - The acting isn't even remotely convincing. Enough said there. Conclusion - The whole show is just typical garbage made by some studio execs in Hollywood which are so out of touch its laughable. Expand
  29. Sep 17, 2012
    The plot potential is there. Unfortunately the acting and overall nuances are a little less Lost and a little more Terra Nova. But hey, it's a pilot... and this show can potentially be what we Lost lover's have been waiting to see again.
  30. Sep 28, 2012
    Really poor. Most of the characters are too pretty, too "model" and too clean to believe that there's no power. All their clothes are clean and pressed...how? The main female character is wearing makeup and skimpy clothing...come on really? Were supposed to believe this story? The set designs were the only thing that kept me from voting zero. I couldn't watch 20 minutes of this.

1. Reviewed by: David Hiltbrand
    Sep 24, 2012
    Revolution had better worry about generating some voltage of its own. The pilot was excellent, but where does it go from here?
  2. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Sep 21, 2012
    This is well-produced, but it could just as well be Mission:Colonial. [1 Oct 2012, p.38]
  3. Reviewed by: Troy Patterson
    Sep 18, 2012
    On the bright side, no one is in danger of having to watch this inert action show.