• Network: NBC
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 17, 2012
  • Season #: 1 , 2
5.8

1. Sep 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The pilot reminds me of many other shows of this type, including Jericho. I hope it strikes out on its own. Even the computer communication at the end of the first ep reminded me of Fringe. Who is she communicating with? Interesting, but they'd better learn from Fringe and start giving us some bread crumbs before the end of the first season. And they need to keep Giancarlo's acting very subtle - less bombastic - more like Gus from Breaking Bad, and less like his character from Do the Right Thing. Expand
  2. Sep 25, 2012
    If you don't mind the fact that the whole premise of the show is beyond ridiculous, and you can overlook the bad acting and cliche characters, then you might actually find this show entertaining. The plot has various mysteries to solve, and the sets are kind of cool looking, so that's something. Sword fights! I'm going to file this under "So bad that it's funny". Bonus game: Every timeIf you don't mind the fact that the whole premise of the show is beyond ridiculous, and you can overlook the bad acting and cliche characters, then you might actually find this show entertaining. The plot has various mysteries to solve, and the sets are kind of cool looking, so that's something. Sword fights! I'm going to file this under "So bad that it's funny". Bonus game: Every time something preposterous about electricity occurs, take a drink! (Warning: May lead to extreme drunkenness.) Expand
  3. Sep 28, 2012
    The premise is preposterous however I was willing to suspend my belief in the laws of science and go along. The real crime is that the characters are boring as all get out. Sorry J.J., this one's looking like another Terra Nova.
  4. Oct 3, 2013
    Revolution: Evolving Backwards

Revolution: Evolving Backwards

It's obvious now that discerning viewers have been spoiled (and not a little surprised) by good television Drama writing in the last decade or so. It's like the Medium finally grew up and the enlightened realized that characters could be deeply explored; that complex plots could be provided with rich episodic exposition; that with good direction and scripts, personal histories and inference could explain hidden, subtle or conflicting motivations; that nuanced development, realistic propositions and believable protaganists framed within the "classic movie” framework, armed with huge multiples of fixed-time, could be raised to an art form.

With dramas such as The Wire, Six Feet Under, Breaking Bad, Band of Brothers, The Sopranos, Mad Men and even the Walking Dead and a handful of others raising the standard of storytelling, television is able to finally surpass the advantage of huge budgets in major feature films primarily by virtue of excellent writing alone. With viewers investing seasons and years into the "lives" of their favourite characters it's now obvious that when television is good, it can be really, really Good. But, there are always and, it seems, as seldom as not, imitators to those thrones, blatant knock-offs aplenty.

There are also the plain lazy. Bad writing and directing efforts, entire productions that "kind of get" the salient highlights of those inspirational pack leaders, but miss the point of exceptional TV entirely. Entirely.

This series Revolution reflects the Golden Age of Television. It really does. When drama writers and directors only had to fill a screen for 45 minutes of mindless, directionless, abstract action to attract advertisers. This series certainly must have looked good on paper once as a loose idea maybe. Not the way the actual script turned out...

Look: Apocalypse without those fusty, messy and unpredictable Undead beheaded to litter the landscape with, so comparatively low on the special effects bottom line. No questionable, nasty killings like those grubby, greedy gangsters trying to make a dirty buck. No heavy morality plays or transformation of characters to confound or unsettle the viewer, just Good or Evil writ large complete with mock SS uniforms. No clever art production to fuss over just find locations in states of decay, disrepair or neglect. Not too hard to find in the USA these days at all.

The Golden Age of TV was when there were simply no other options. Any plot hole, crap production value, inconsistencies, impossibly invincible heroes, rank stereo-typing and cliche was what viewers expected, generally got and rare was the exception indeed. No other options. Maybe as far back as before renting VHS tapes. Those days before surfing YouTube for sure and aside from Star Trek or The Twilight Zone it was all pretty…lacking and unimaginative. Yet people still watched even worse TV. Until certain groundbreaking series and whether that was Star Trek, The Twilight Zone, it’s just what TV was, in it’s Golden Age.

Revolution takes those same liberties. Big ones that glare like a cathode ray...

- The USA has been seemingly reduced to the size of Rhode Island as characters seem to traverse distances in hours.
    - It’s easy to find somebody in Chicago just walk onto the set.
    - Principals in t-shirts with no regard to weather or colder nights. A human can die of exposure at temperatures as high as 60 degrees Fahrenheit. Each has a smallish backpack supposedly containing: food, water, extra clothing, tools, explosives, wiring, fuses, shaving toiletries, hair and beauty products, blankets, utensils, etc.
    - Mature characters have not gained weight, scarred or added a wrinkle in 15 years. They look exactly the same as present day. One is still even morbidly obese after 15 years of foraging, “hunting” or eating canned food. His beard is the same length now, as is his and everyone else's hair. Most male characters that aren’t clean shaven merely have 5 o’clock shadows illustrating "duress and hardship".
    - Every character seemingly has a convenient hostage interest.
    - Each character is a stereotype. Either gloating, obvious Evil or a Good person with a conflicted, sketchy back story.
    - Acting is deplorable, sets are random, premise seemed interesting but proves ridiculous, characters flip flop and have questionable motives, explosions, art direction is virtually non-existent...

Oh forget it. I could go on and on with this series, I guess I’ll just be lazy too. Everyone seems to be running around in circles all the time or just making the same speeches every time they’re on camera. So little done with so much, every time one thinks or looks. For the viewer as well as the actors.

But you know, if this really was a Golden Age production there would be no blood at all. Which would seem quite appropriate for such a confused and bloodless series. I’m giving it 2/10 because I’m watching it as a Comedy and that’s just golden to me
  5. Sep 17, 2012
    Whith acting that bad the women need bigger **** The writing especially the dialog is really so bad. I guess I should give the acting a little credit. If you want to waste your time watch this show.
  6. Sep 28, 2012
    Really poor. Most of the characters are too pretty, too "model" and too clean to believe that there's no power. All their clothes are clean and pressed...how? The main female character is wearing makeup and skimpy clothing...come on really? Were supposed to believe this story? The set designs were the only thing that kept me from voting zero. I couldn't watch 20 minutes of this.
  7. Sep 27, 2012
    This show is awful for several fundamental reasons. 1 - The premise is ridiculous: "Physics went crazy, engines stopped working" - right, so engines (which are based on a controlled series of explosions) don't work, but guns do. The only thing this show does consistently is contradict the paper thin premise. 2 - It doesn't look post-apocalyptic. Everyone wears clean clothes, looks freshlyThis show is awful for several fundamental reasons. 1 - The premise is ridiculous: "Physics went crazy, engines stopped working" - right, so engines (which are based on a controlled series of explosions) don't work, but guns do. The only thing this show does consistently is contradict the paper thin premise. 2 - It doesn't look post-apocalyptic. Everyone wears clean clothes, looks freshly showered and behave as if the whole thing is an extended camping trip. In the first episode, a small community doesn't even adequately defend itself in a world where armed gangs are rampaging and brutalizing those who can't defend themselves. If this were to really happen, lone communities would need to be armed to the teeth and hyper vigilant. Just look at current-day Somalia for an idea of what this SHOULD look like. 3 - The action scenes are terrible. Too many rapid cuts to different angles don't show a good fight scene - they just confuse what is a poorly-choreographed fight. 4 - A magic little USB device somehow powers a computer - which supposedly no longer works - AND somehow transmits a message to another computer who knows how far away. 5 - The acting isn't even remotely convincing. Enough said there. Conclusion - The whole show is just typical garbage made by some studio execs in Hollywood which are so out of touch its laughable. Expand
  8. May 19, 2013
    This show deserves but two words: Boring and uninspired. If you watched the first 2 episodes, end your experience there... it gets so stupid and boring after the pilot, worse than any other show I have ever seen.

Heres a glimpse of a scene in revolution: Two guys sword fighting going after each others throats. Eventually, one of them losses their sword! Oh my! Then, the guy with the sword holds it up to his enemy's neck and tells him why he is going to kill him. Then, the guy in trouble steals the sword and holds it to his enemy's neck and tells him he is going to kill him. Eventually they both get their swords back and go for each others throats again... So instead of just killing each other, they just basically dance with swords.

Save yourself... This show is utterly and completely pointless.
  9. May 8, 2013
    Stunningly bad, considering Eric Kripke is at the helm. I don't have the words to describe how poorly written Revolution is. And the acting? Burke and Esposito are doing what they can with terrible material, but Spiridakos is like a robot an annoying little pouting robot. I gave it most of a season before weighing in, to see if it found itself along the way. But it is as bad as everStunningly bad, considering Eric Kripke is at the helm. I don't have the words to describe how poorly written Revolution is. And the acting? Burke and Esposito are doing what they can with terrible material, but Spiridakos is like a robot an annoying little pouting robot. I gave it most of a season before weighing in, to see if it found itself along the way. But it is as bad as ever sixteen episodes in. What a shame. I really wanted to like this show. Expand
  10. Oct 12, 2012
    I watched the first three episodes, but that's it for me. The writing was passable at first, but rapidly deteriorated into formula "damsel in distress" soap opera. I cannot sympathize with the main characters, whose actions are so stupid and counter-intuitive that any decent writer would have killed them off in episode one. And, of course, the central mysteries of "Revolution" aren'tI watched the first three episodes, but that's it for me. The writing was passable at first, but rapidly deteriorated into formula "damsel in distress" soap opera. I cannot sympathize with the main characters, whose actions are so stupid and counter-intuitive that any decent writer would have killed them off in episode one. And, of course, the central mysteries of "Revolution" aren't really that hard to figure out, are they?

One bright spot is Giancarlo Esposito, whom I remember fondly from "Breaking Bad" as one of my favorite villains of all time. This series could have been really good, but it has turned into a low budget version of "The Hunger Games" instead. Teens with bows and arrows has been done better -- a lot better.
  11. Oct 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The show started out kind of slow but after the 3rd episode it is really really good. Last nights episode one of the characters dies and I actually shed a tear it was so well acted. Expand
  12. Oct 30, 2012
    I have given this show a fair shake but too much is too much -- or should I say too little is too little.

First, as has been noted, the acting leaves much to be desired. When the star, Tracy Spiridakos, has only two poses -- wooden Indian or stunned teenager, you are in trouble. I thought she might improve as she got accustomed to the role but no such luck. Second, even if one

Second, even if one could buy the basic premise about a sudden world-wide loss of power, it would be impossible to believe the lack of progress 15 years after the blackout. Power "disappeared" but the scientists didn't.

Third, as has been noted, there are too many ridiculous incongruities, as has been mentioned, like the permed hair and makeup.
  13. Jun 14, 2013
    This show is slow and a cheesy poor story line. It feels overdone and forced. The original loss of power is cool, but everything else is bad. Action feels forced. And the twists and other stuff that happens feels like I already know it is coming an episode before.
  14. May 21, 2013
    This is just another example of crap network TV. I will give them credit for at least trying a show that is not another COP show that has the same story and result every episode OR another piece of junk reality show. BUT thats where I will end my positive comments. How the hell do these people look so damn clean without having power and running water. None of the main characters willThis is just another example of crap network TV. I will give them credit for at least trying a show that is not another COP show that has the same story and result every episode OR another piece of junk reality show. BUT thats where I will end my positive comments. How the hell do these people look so damn clean without having power and running water. None of the main characters will ever be killed. Everything is so damn predictable. I really think cable channels are the last place to go for real entertaining TV series. Shows like LOST just wont happen anymore. Thank god for HBO, Showtime, AMC, FX etc. NETWORK TV IS DONE. Expand
  15. Oct 16, 2012
    Ok I'm not gonna repeat what been said already... Read all the negative reviews because they are all spot on. What I will add though is.. With all the harsher living people have had to go through. It irks me no end that the young stars look like they came straight out of a Gap clothes store... And afterwards they must have visited a beauty salon... They look better than we do now.. IOk I'm not gonna repeat what been said already... Read all the negative reviews because they are all spot on. What I will add though is.. With all the harsher living people have had to go through. It irks me no end that the young stars look like they came straight out of a Gap clothes store... And afterwards they must have visited a beauty salon... They look better than we do now.. I give this 1 point for having a good idea and 1 point for Gus Fring.
    Sanitized kindergarten stuff.
  16. Dec 14, 2012
    Just as every other new scifi show these days, it has to be a silly, stupid nonsense, with cliche motives, naive story and flat characters, trumped by an apparent, total lack of any scientific accuracy. I suggest to walk away and thus stop supporting show like that, clearly great success of BSG is not enough a message for "them" to realize, they are doing it all wrong.
  17. Sep 18, 2012
    While I'm glad someone has released a show on network television that isn't serialized, I have strong doubts this one will go the distance. It attempts to be realistic, which doesn't leave much mystery for entertainment. Basically, it's a drama set in a world with no energy. This is dangerous, because it forces the entertainment value to fall solely on realism. Realism takes too much chaosWhile I'm glad someone has released a show on network television that isn't serialized, I have strong doubts this one will go the distance. It attempts to be realistic, which doesn't leave much mystery for entertainment. Basically, it's a drama set in a world with no energy. This is dangerous, because it forces the entertainment value to fall solely on realism. Realism takes too much chaos and despair to be viable for network television, and this show offers little of either. Without realism or intrigue, Revolution falls flat. This show should take a page from Lost and give a story so interesting the viewer doesn't care whether it's realistic. Revolution fails in suspension of disbelief. Expand
  18. Sep 17, 2012
    Premise is decent but lack post apocolyptic integrity. Why does it look like everyone has had a fresh shower and clean new clothes. Remember their is no running water for baths and washing clothes. All water has to be carried by hand. Scrub your clothes all you want, how clean do you think they will be.
  19. Sep 17, 2012
    The premise is fairly original and had intrigued me from the start and the sets, costumes, and lighting all looked wonderful! The show fell apart for me with the plot and acting. The characters were especially unbelievable, their motives were inconsistent and the acting was ridiculous. All-in-all it might have made a good book and it would have made a great show with different actors andThe premise is fairly original and had intrigued me from the start and the sets, costumes, and lighting all looked wonderful! The show fell apart for me with the plot and acting. The characters were especially unbelievable, their motives were inconsistent and the acting was ridiculous. All-in-all it might have made a good book and it would have made a great show with different actors and better dialogue but this isn't a show I will be looking forward to. Expand
  20. Sep 18, 2012
    I am simply amazed how it was possible to deconstruct the entire concept of the setting within barely 15 minutes. It is an insult to the viewer to just claim "physics went insane" and then just a few minutes down the road we are shown that most of the quintessential parts of technology are not also perfectly functional, but also that the characters are obviously too stupid to realize. IfI am simply amazed how it was possible to deconstruct the entire concept of the setting within barely 15 minutes. It is an insult to the viewer to just claim "physics went insane" and then just a few minutes down the road we are shown that most of the quintessential parts of technology are not also perfectly functional, but also that the characters are obviously too stupid to realize. If semi-automatic firearms work, engines work. Simple as that. Boiled down to the basics, an engine is nothing but a self-repeating series of controlled explosions. The simplest designs do not even need electricity to work, if you'd be forced to build them without. But all that does not even matter, because everything else is just as bad and inconsistent as the setting. The art department did a horrible job and most important items and settings do not look real and lived in at all. They look like a badly done set for a soap commercial. Wear and tear of 15 years forced partial neglect is used so badly and inconsistently on everything, that they might not have bothered with it at all. It is clear that the people responsible for the visual design have no talent of observation. That is quite common and always a problem, because who cannot observe and comprehend are doomed to get everything wrong. When you do not know how to look at things, you are missing all vital questions. Say there is an object. Say an airplane. Parked in exactly one spot for 15 years. If you have never seen anything similar, you will mess it up. And they did. Not just this but everything you actually pay attention to. Look too hard and it falls apart. Last but not least, the show suffers from a disease that is an increasing problem these days: Character lobotomy syndrome. The people inside the fictional word are so incredibly stupid and make such incredibly unacceptable and horrid mistakes in the most basic department, that it is implausible that they are alive at all. So the world is dangerous? Really? A lot?! So you fenced in a village but nobody was smart enough ever to bother with any actual kind of sentries or a solid defense? Why are they still there? Did they get overlooked by everything bad for more than a decade? Simply impossible. They are either too stupid to still exist like they allegedly do, or everyone else who might have posed a problem is. Both ways, it adds up to a lot of stupid and incompetence for the setting. The show is a mess. Expand
  21. Sep 17, 2012
    I loved the pilot to this, So I will be watching more episodes. The pilot was great full of action, The actors reminded me of Hunger Games actors they were a little more coll then I thought they would be, meaning they weren't cheesy or anything like that. It was Revolution meets Lost, meets , The Book Of Eli, type action and backround or environment . Don't believe the bad reviews forI loved the pilot to this, So I will be watching more episodes. The pilot was great full of action, The actors reminded me of Hunger Games actors they were a little more coll then I thought they would be, meaning they weren't cheesy or anything like that. It was Revolution meets Lost, meets , The Book Of Eli, type action and backround or environment . Don't believe the bad reviews for this one and I do hope to see more Revolution. Expand
  22. Oct 9, 2012
    Seriously the storyline goes back to some 90 's RPG, just heading towards somewhere aimlessly. Though it's Sci-Fi it looks like some middle-school daydreams. Also I'm bored with a bright idiot heroine.
  23. Nov 20, 2012
    The combination of Abrams and Kripke might be fantastic, but the pilot unfortunately was not. Yes, it's too early to tell and I'll be waiting a while to really make up my mind but from the pilot it doesn't look good. Wrong casting choices, too many plot-holes, stupid choices and alot of wooden acting. The premise seems OK so maybe with the introduction of new subplots and characters I willThe combination of Abrams and Kripke might be fantastic, but the pilot unfortunately was not. Yes, it's too early to tell and I'll be waiting a while to really make up my mind but from the pilot it doesn't look good. Wrong casting choices, too many plot-holes, stupid choices and alot of wooden acting. The premise seems OK so maybe with the introduction of new subplots and characters I will end up liking it. Expand
  24. OMM
    Sep 20, 2012
    Revolution had promise until the first show aired. After which it was an hour of sloppy writing, poor acting, and just overall uninteresting. But then again its' on NBC, so if was my fault for expecting a good show.
  25. Nov 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Horrible writing and horrible acting aside I'll tell you exactly why this show is truly awful:

Upon completing the first episode I turned to my friend and told her "this show makes my science hurt", meaning it makes no sense. There is no way it could work. I was willing to buy it if there was something like an EMP that wiped out all the power, but it's far more insane than that. Coming from someone who watches zombie films and shows, this is even harder to believe could happen.

They try to make it feel like it is something that /could/ happen, but then there are seemingly magical talismans. Okay?

And let's not get started on how the social structure seems so unnatural..
  26. Sep 26, 2012
    The premise isn't very original. It doesn't hold a candle to the apocalyptic show The Walking Dead but it definitely beats out Falling Skies. Overall, this show as the potential to be something great. Let's hope they don't screw it up.
  27. Nov 4, 2012
    To give the show a fair review, I've waited until the end of the sixth episode and even now I can't seem to say anything more than it's a fairly average show. Revolution is no Breaking Bad, Lost or anything of the sort; you won't wait all week to watch it, nor can you see it being a long running show. It's the sort of show that, like Terra Nova, is likely to get cancelled after season 2,To give the show a fair review, I've waited until the end of the sixth episode and even now I can't seem to say anything more than it's a fairly average show. Revolution is no Breaking Bad, Lost or anything of the sort; you won't wait all week to watch it, nor can you see it being a long running show. It's the sort of show that, like Terra Nova, is likely to get cancelled after season 2, because like Terra Nova, it's plagued by plot inconsistencies, extremely fast and downright rubbish character and plot development, and occasionally some very bad acting. That's not to say all the acting is bad; the show is essentially held together by the Twilight guy who plays Miles Matherson and Captain Tom Neville, aka Gus from Breaking Bad - but I could just be being biased there. The female lead protagonist feels kind of hollow, and it's hard to care what happens to her. Most of the story and plot is spoon fed to viewers, despite the fact you can on more than one occasion figure out what's happening or going to happen, before it actually happens. I can't say I'm a fan of something being so predictable, I like to keep guessing, making assumptions and having real plot twists that come out of nowhere. Of course, Revolution is an easy watch; it can be quite entertaining, but in essence it's nothing more than filler whilst you wait for better shows to come on TV. 5/10 Expand
  28. Oct 4, 2012
    Reminds me a bit of Jericho, which was also slow to start, had iffy acting at first, but I wound up loving. I'm going to give this a few more weeks (currently 3 eps only) and see where it goes. Lots of potential and I'm interested to see how they bring things together and still hopefully keep the action elements in there.
  29. Sep 17, 2012
    The plot potential is there. Unfortunately the acting and overall nuances are a little less Lost and a little more Terra Nova. But hey, it's a pilot... and this show can potentially be what we Lost lover's have been waiting to see again.
  30. Sep 17, 2012
    Just watched the pilot episode for REVOLUTION: its intriguing, and there's certainly plenty of potential for the show: we'll just have to see where the writers and producers take it.

1. Reviewed by: David Hiltbrand
    Sep 24, 2012
    Revolution had better worry about generating some voltage of its own. The pilot was excellent, but where does it go from here?
  2. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Sep 21, 2012
    This is well-produced, but it could just as well be Mission:Colonial. [1 Oct 2012, p.38]
  3. Reviewed by: Troy Patterson
    Sep 18, 2012
    On the bright side, no one is in danger of having to watch this inert action show.