• Network: NBC
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 17, 2012
  • Season #: 1 , 2
5.7

1. Jul 13, 2013
    Poor execution of an interesting premise. I love sci-fi and dystopia, so thought this one would be a safe bet. The show starts with some promise, but wooden acting, awful dialog and increasingly unbelievable characterisation and plot lines make this one to miss.
  2. Aug 24, 2013
    The first episode was predictable and slow, It didn't grab you by the throat, but it was a good idea, maybe for a different time, good try NBC. As for entertainment goes, it was not there. Just something, about it, made it dull. I see here it's not worth watching more.
  3. Aug 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pretty bad. Characters keep commenting on how well Charlie does in off-screen fights, but all of her action sequences involve her being helpless and someone saving her. All of the characters are unrealistic and are hard to form a connection with except for Aaron; the one believable character who isn't even needed to advance the plot. Monroe obsession with Miles is almost homo erotic. Jason character could be good if he would man up and take out his dad. All main ncharacter motivations are extremely farfetched. Supporting/cameo characters actually have meaningful and believable actions/responses. And ENOUGH with the flashbacks. Just do a prequel season or something. The premise of the show was so good, but got bogged down with love stories and meaningless flashbacks that are made to make the viewer care about the characters, but utterly fail. Focusing less on saving the world and more on day to day survival would make this much more watchable. Expand
  4. Sep 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This show had potential and it showed, but the execution of this was horrific. Not to mention some of the acting is just terrible. Tracy Spiridakos, or Charlie is an example of the acting going downhill. The most notable scene where her acting tanks is in the trailers where she asks Billy Burke, Miles, to help her look for her brother. Because her acting acts when it matters the most, I don't really believe the stuff they are trying to achieve.

Beware of spoilers from here on in.
    Now, I can personally forgive terrible acting if the story is good. But, unfortunately, the story is a mess. The concept was full of potential than it got stabbed 37 times in the chest and left to die in the forest. Fifteen years before the official arc of the story, an even called the blackout happened, electricity seem to disappear as soon as a current is formed. For some unexplained reason, the United States fell from this even though they have enough men to send orders by horse-back to their military bases, but if the government didn't fall, we won't have this series. And so, a hand full of nations rose to power, one of them is the Monroe Republic.

Here is plot hole number one: why does Charlie NOT know Miles was the general of the militia?! Here is the convenience to help explain that away: her village was isolated so she never really heard much of the militia or the Republic. I swear, these conveniences ruin the series for me as the writers couldn't write their way out of a giant paper bag.

It seems the fate of every person in this series is determined by the writing gods. It seems every time the main characters are faced with a life or death fire fight, they seem to kill everyone and leave without a scratch. The only time they die or get injured is when the script calls for it or a sad attempt to make it believable. "Oh look, they haven't been injured in a while, we better hit them with a bullet now." The best example with this is the attempted assassination of President Monroe, Jeremy doesn't get hit, but the four men surrounding him does. This is to move the plot along, with failed attempts at emotion.

Not only the father-daughter relationship between Miles and Charlie is unbelievable because of the acting on Tracy's side, it is also because of the lack of character development. Relationships pop out of the writer's asses. Jason and Charlie met in one of the first episodes, exchanged a couple of dialog than, he becomes a protective love sick puppy of Charlie. There is no reason for this so called love. There is none and there is no reason for it existing. It seems contrived like every relationship in this series. Miles and Nora, Miles and Rachel, Aaron and his wife, Miles and Monroe. We are always slapped with an underdeveloped situation with a quick sequence of why these relationships exist. Are we suppose to take these to heart, because there was no heart in any of them. Half way through the series I had forgotten who Maggie was. I am sure I'm going to forget Nora when season 2 comes.

Contrived, convenient situations with no emotional backing. What's next for this nonsensical plot? Yeah, they kill off Danny, eliminating the whole point of the "saving Danny" arc. What they should done is to skip the whole saving Danny thing to begin with as it never mattered to me to begin with. Remember, as the characters are one-dimensional cardboard I didn't care for Danny.

The whole "mystery" aura of the series actually works against them regarding Miles and Monroe. You are waiting to see what went wrong with their bromance and they possibly never even shown the tipping point yet. From what I can tell, this is another convenient point in the story as Miles never talked to Monroe about his troubles about him. Once he sensed Monroe was going too far, he just decides he wants to kill him. If you care for someone that much, especially when you're guilty of some of those atrocities yourself, can't you just talk it over?

The thing with Randall Flynn, omg. He was working with the USA all along and was planning to destroy both Monroe and Georgia to make way for the government to come back. If all he needed to do was that, WHY ON EARTH DID HE GO TO MONROE IN THE FIRST PLACE? All that he had to do was to go to level 12 and launch the nukes. Than Monroe and Rachel won't have ever have got in. What about the Moe people? Don't worry about them, they can't hit stuff for their life and they let main antagonists go as Flynn CONVENIENTLY sneaks pass them to the launch room.

Despite it all and more, I want to see what happens next. It is not a good show by any standard but, I'm interested to see what happens next. Like the majorly flawed shows like The Event and Terra Nova, they had good concepts, horrible execution, no emotion, yet the events that unfold are what hooks you. A war between two nations without power, but Monroe has working fighter drones. Not that I care about anything involving the characters, but I want to see what happens.
  5. Oct 17, 2013
    Characters were very annoying and forced, and the story line was pretty terrible. It felt like a B-movie smeared over a long period of time and it was a massive anti-climax when compared to what the adverts seemed to promise.
  6. Oct 17, 2013
    Revolution is a cross-breed of two of my most favorite series: Nikita and The Walking Dead. Screw all those scientific disapprovals others have about the settings. You don't watch Revolution because you care about the science, you watch it because you care about how the fates of the characters will turn out and how they deal their lives in a post-apocalyptic setup.
  7. Oct 17, 2013
    It's difficult to hate this series, but it was so disappointing. I loved the idea, but it just wasn't done justice.

As has been said before in these reviews, maybe our expectations were too high. I rented the series1 on blue ray and watched all 800+ minutes over 5 days. It sagged seriously In the middle and I almost gave up, then it picked up a bit, so I persevered. It was close
    though, I almost canned it.

The most annoying thing was the believeability, the actors don't age, the injuries are either life threatening too easily and they die or they shrug off serious injuries with apparent ease. The middle roaming episodes got very boring band arrives somewhere, walks unprepared into a fortress and defeats the baddies" again and again and again.

The sets all started to look the same. I started playing the "Oh that was the hospital in the episode three, now it's a lab" game.

One episode they are trapped in a huge network of underground tunnels and "the lack of oxygen" gives them
    plot flashbacks and physical manifestations...oh puleeez... Very lame, lazy writing.

One other reviewer mentioned the fact that they overused the family are held hostige to force them to do something. Completely agree. The other was that everyone seems to get tied to a chair in an empty room and punched in the face, there are surely more imaginative ways. Really... Every time?

The mom has been a prisoner of a psychopath for 7 years and talks about "what you did to me" but looks like she has spent a month at a spa. Also her annoying pout twitch did my head in.

All in all, its like Fastfood, I was hungry, I ate it, I now regret it... I won't be tuning in to S2 even if Charlie gets her kit off.
  8. Nov 5, 2013
    I tuned in to Ep 1 with high hopes but couldn't endure more than 1/2 hr. Two women with spandex cleavage traversing the countryside filled with marauding bandits. A critical shortage of food and water but not of Eddie Bauer outerwear and hair conditioner. And words, blah, blah blah... a post-apocalyptic world would be one of action, not incessant blither. I can buy that for some reason the unit charge of the electron as a universal constant suddenly changed, but this? Expand
  9. Nov 23, 2013
    Despite subpar acting and a little too many plot twists this show is still watchable if you have a good capability of suspending your disbelief. Scenery is really good and the story really goes forward.
  10. Dec 22, 2013
    Great TV series, lots of action and suspense. Love the story line and can't wait to see more. It's a movie for great minds and actors could be prettier but all in all it's an amazing tv series.
  11. Jan 5, 2014
    Rubbish at almost every level: appalling writing, photography, direction, and acting. There is no serious attempt to deal with the prospect of a "powerless" world. It's just a hook on which to hang entirely predictable plot moves and unbelievably dreary dialog. The main character is a boring, self-righteous, fool with no redeeming features. Boring and foolish, together with wholly unbelievable applies to almost all of the characters and the entire show, with the honorable exception of the bloke from Breaking Bad who brings some intensity to his role. Save time, save energy, save yourself: this is a Revolution that should not be televised. Expand
  12. Jan 6, 2014
    I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic drama, the dire version of things, like Battlestar Galactica, where humanity is holding on by a very thin thread and unlikely to survive. I love the concept of throwing away all that we know and seeing how the dice will land, something which I guessed Revolution would revolve around. In fact, the initial premise -that all electrical things stop working ad infinitum- is one I've asked myself quite frequently. A mighty and consistent solar flare that renders all electrical equipment unusable, or an alien technology that unpowers any electrical current.

As a thinker though, the concept is hugely flawed by pure logic. If everything electronic stops, so do we. Firstly, our neural reactions will dull, the sinoatrial node around the heart will stop receiving and sending signals regarding heartbeat, and well, you get the idea. We'll die too.

But let's for arguments sake believe this contrived idea that "physics went insane" and believe that cars, aeroplanes, computers and all other things made by man (until that point) stop working. Let's even push the insane button on our make-believe plot and believe that it's not about the electricity or even the mechanical value that causes something to stop working. Hell, I'm really gonna push the barrier here and say that, because it's man-made, it doesn't work. Because let's face it, we have fire, but no steam engines (among other things). So perhaps it's in the metal we use?

AS far as I can push my imagination, there is no answer to this ridiculous premise. The mere fact that they can use guns debunks the entire idea that an engine can't work. It's an entirely broken concept and that's what the whole series is based on. Let's face it, no one tuned into this show for a riveting tale of curious plots of love and intrigue. We wanted to see how the premise could exist, how it would unfold, and how people who survived would adapt. An entire series based on a flawed concept cannot sustain much intrigue (or viewership) and I think this show will fall faster than those unpowered planes in the first few minutes (probably the most fun in the whole series).

Other than the clear problem with the premise, the understanding of post-apocalypse is very wanting. Clean clothes, beautiful skin, no sense of survival and fighting, terrible props (the town looks like something out of a bad rpg) and one-dimensional acting Though, give the actors some credit, there's really not much for them to work with here. And then there's the writing. I only have a few key words which guided their terrible script: Mechanical and electric gone; Pretty girl; swashbuckling uncle; stupid people; propaganda. It's just TERRIBLE all-round.

If I have one word of advice regarding this show: don't waste your valuable electricity (and time) watching it.
  13. Mar 9, 2014
    Very enjoyable show that combines civi war era tech with a post apocalyptic setting. Great exploration into human dependence on technology and the power it unleashes. Full of witty one liners and rich setting. Took a few episodes for characters to settle in but is currently definitely a show worth watching.

1. Reviewed by: David Hiltbrand
    Sep 24, 2012
    Revolution had better worry about generating some voltage of its own. The pilot was excellent, but where does it go from here?
  2. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Sep 21, 2012
    This is well-produced, but it could just as well be Mission:Colonial. [1 Oct 2012, p.38]
  3. Reviewed by: Troy Patterson
    Sep 18, 2012
    On the bright side, no one is in danger of having to watch this inert action show.