• Network: TNT
  • Series Premiere Date: Jul 12, 2010
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5
6.7

1. Aug 20, 2010
    Lose the gay stories. Two women, great chemistry, fun dialogue, pretty faces, adequate writing, pretty faces, humor and likability, unlimited potential. Bump up the story-lines, add a straight writer, and lose the gay stuff. Add a little more action and keep the pretty faces.
  2. Jun 21, 2012
    Some of the worst writing I have ever seen acted out on the small screen. The dialogue between the two principals is ludicrously corny. I feel sorry for them. They deserve so much better.
  3. Aug 13, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This show started very strong with the pilot, that was not a lousy rehash of something cheesy like episode 2's "Boston Strangler has returned and now running amok again in our fair city." The show suffers from poor writing for some characters, and plot problems in all but 2 episodes that I can see. I believe the first episode should be, and CAN be a foretelling of what this show will be about. The killer that Rizzoli (Harmon) originally put away, or didn't if you watched it. In fact it shows her previous partner, and partner-less 3rd detective Korsak that saved her before she was killed. She shot him in the hands, but he survives, which I think is good. Looking at Sasha Alexander's character, you can't help but be reminded of the show "Bones" and the character played by Emily Deschanel, Dr. Temperence Brennan AKA Bones. They are both cool, calculating and say what is on their mind with a this is how I see it, and that is how it is. Moving on with Alexander's character, and the show she was on before that is highly rated, and #1 according to viewer watching, NCIS, she was killed by a killer, that was on several episodes, giving the audience the feel of the story moving forward, and it not just being one short story after the other with no connection. They obviously have the writing potential to put more depth into the show's plot, because as it stands through the first 5-6 episodes the character's are the reason to watch. Most of the plots are dull, mistimed, or just stolen by Harmon or Alexander's character's and acting. Being that this is the first 1/2 season (TNT only makes 11-13 episode season, unlike network TV shows with 22-24 episode seasons) I can only call the first season, the first half of the first season, which started strong, and lost steam fast, but has regained some with a few plot twists and character development. Wardrobe is also a HUGE problem, not for Angie Harmon, but for Sasha Alexander. She is sex in the city at a crime scene and it really is overdone, and if she is so smart she should not wear $8,000 in clothes, including $2,500 shoes to a crime scene in alley's, docks, or any number of places you would never be so nonchalant about it. It should change, but when you get stuck with it on the first episode, it needs to change gradually, and with the help of Angie Harmon's character, maybe show Alexander's character that down to earth clothing is not only "street smart" but also "just plain smart" as the tv ads say about her character. Knowing several people that are wealthy and with IQ's well over 160, they would never be so crazy and so to waste money like that. $8,000 can buy school supplies for an elementary school in need of them. Speaking of character development, they have only touched on the fact that you have 2 gorgeous women, that are single, getting older, and in one case looking older than when she was last seen weekly on NCIS. You can't hide that you are nearing 40 forever, and they both could use some love interest to heat up the screen. The pilot touched on it with the FBI Agent they both found attractive, but then nothing for Alexander really, and one blown date with Donnie Wahlberg that ended with him leaving the show, with an obvious attraction on both sides. Shows like NCIS, Law & Order SVU / C.I. , Bones, Cold Case, The Closer and many others have played the sex card very well with their female AND male characters, without having anything above PG-13. I think without it happening fast this show could be over fast. Unfortunate because Angie Harmon is a wonderful person, great actor, her voice, looks and ability couldn't scream I'm fighting with the law as a hard-ass and going to win. I hope it works, because a few shows are lacking, and I would like to see TNT make money on their shows, so they continue making them, instead of getting 10 hours a day of Law & Order reruns, not that I don't like that show, but after 5 years of reruns, the series has been shown 20 times over, and Rizzoli and Isles could use that time more effectively I think. Expand
  4. Aug 20, 2010
    I thought I would really like this show because I'm a Angie Harmon fan. The thing that I don't like is what a complete idiot the Isles character is. She is totally annoying. The two women in the books were intelligent, now only Rizolli has any smarts. Please, give Isles a brain, stop having her act like she's a moron.
  5. Sep 10, 2010
    I watched the first episode, and the main character, Rizzoli, conveniently manages to escape from some criminals, and then proceeds to shoot an unarmed criminal as he is laying on the ground. In the second episode, she assaults another unarmed perpetrator with a metal pipe. In the third episode, she blackmails a school administrator into giving a student a scholarship. I don't find Angie Harmon's semi-dirty cop who always seems to have the keys to solving the case fall into her lap a compelling main character. The fashionista forensic scientist is attractive, but not believable.

The writing is below average. The characters and situations are far-fetched.
  6. Sep 16, 2010
    Not a bad show, though it's less of a police procedural show and focuses more on the personality of the characters. Unlike shows such as Law and Order, this show really shows little evidence to the given case. In Law and Order, you can possibly guess who is the culprit based on evidence. In Rizzoli&Isles, the real murderer isn't revealed until the very end and so the little evidence they do revealed is rather meaningless. Nevertheless, the show is still amusing and quite interesting. Expand
  7. Sep 18, 2010
    The characters are an interesting contrast, but, for me at any rate, I think Rizzoli's character is played too weak. The talks tough, but she doesn't come across tough, almost like it's a mismatch between the person playing the character and the character. Maybe Angie Harmon doesn't do it for me in this role. Isles' role is played great though. I do like the story lines though and overall, it's entertaining. Expand
  8. Sep 18, 2010
    What an insulting ending - I generally liked the show eventhough Isles is portrayed as the village idiot - trying to copy Bones I think but why do producers feel they have to give us a "cliff hanger" to get us back.
    We are either going to watch the show or we are not. This unrealistic ending was insulting.
  9. Dec 27, 2010
    I was fortunate enough to see the first two episodes of Rizzoli and admit that I loved the banter and the story line. I thought it has some fun and quick comments together with a bit of mystery. To me it was one of the best shows I have seen this year. But then, it does not have much with which to compare when one looks at the moronic "reality" shows that currently ruin the nightly viewing. I know I am the odd one out, apparently, but I cannot find any enjoyment in the big brothers, survivors and similar trash. Thanks for at least one enjoyable show that is not Canadian at the moment. Worst part is our local station has taken it off the air so I await the series being released on DVD and I will watch it without the adds. Loved both female leads too. Hope it has many more seasons to go and keeps up the good story lines. Expand
  10. Jun 16, 2012
    Loved the books. The TV series is almost as good and captures some of the clever characters from the stories. I think the actors nailed their characters. Highly recommend the books, the TV show is also watchable and does justice despite the liberties it takes.
  11. Sep 17, 2014
    Really fun to watch show, very interesting, I like the characters and how deep they are so to speak (as in well fleshed out and developed, unique, good back stories, actors/actresses representing them, etc). However, I feel at points the drama can become a bit too much and I find myself wanting the show to focus more on the case versus the side drama of the characters but even so, it still gives you the chance to at least get to know a little more about the characters.... so I suppose even a little excessive drama is necessary so it's not super dry cut like some other cop shows tend to be. BTW Jane is a badass as is Maura.... Expand

Though it's intended to be a female buddy show in which she plays off Sasha Alexander's coolly uppercrust medical examiner Maura Isles, Harmon definitely gets the upper hand--at least in the pilot episode.
  2. Reviewed by: Verne Gay
    Mostly this show belongs to Harmon, once a key member of the "Law & Order" ensemble. She's likable and intriguing. That salvages an otherwise average cop show.
    Their interaction is friendly, if mildly teasing, professional and catfight-free. This allows the show to have the relaxing, unchallenging pleasures of good fluff even when the premiere is actually going a bit heavy on the gore.