• Network: ABC
  • Series Premiere Date: Apr 5, 2012
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4
7.1

1. Jul 20, 2014
    OMG if this Olivia character continues on the same path she will go insane. It drives ME insane to watch these episodes now, there's no mental break at all. It's again a show that tries too hard to keep the drama going when there is no longer any more drama to squeeze out of the plot. Not worth it.
  2. Oct 27, 2013
    Well done Joe Morton. Amazing the work of Olivia's dad since the first episode. Last season we didn't see enogh of Rowan/Eli Pope but this season is for Joe. I hope an Emmy nomination next year.
    Operation Remington is a solid storyline for the first part of season 3. Kerry Washington will win a Satellite, People's Choice, SAG, Globe, TCA, Critics Choice and Emmy by the end of the season.
    It's her time. It was time for the Emmys (2013), but Danes stole her.
    Bellamy Young and Jeff Perry will deserve awards for their excellent works in the supporting role. Of course the eyes of the people will be in Lisa Kudrow's guest appearance, and Shonda Rhimes without a doubt is writting a good character for her. Fisrt episode brilliant. The season has started better than the first ones, and the first ones were so good.
  3. Nov 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I think the show is suffering from the same problem that Showtime's "Homeland" is facing. People can't deal with any less suspense than its second season. After the assassination story line, I guess it is hard to come back with more. But for me, Shonda Rhimes has done it again. Conspiracy can be self-damaging if not handled wisely. It's getting better with the latest surprise where the unexpected secret was revealed: Olivia's mom is still alive! Expand
  4. Jan 2, 2014
    Shonda Rhimes definitely knows what fans want to see. Brilliant plot lines, shocking twists, and a romance that will break twitter for the 100th time. I would give this season a 10 if it wasn't for that winter finale. The winter finale should've been the 9th episode "YOLO". It would be better if the mysteries were left unanswered.
  5. May 31, 2014
    As I feel, overall, it's a bad quality tv show. Bad casting (Kerry Washington is a terrible actress! For gods sake) and the dialogues are sometimes dumb and the situations unreal.
  6. Jun 26, 2014
    The then and the now. The flare and then the fail.

By: Nalini Pillai

In eleventh grade, and I remember this night very clearly, I was doing homework, my mom was out of town and my dad, my brother and I sat down to eat dinner. My dad brought his computer to the table and on some shady internet site played the first episode of the first season of Scandal. We sat there that night and
    made our way through the first three episodes. In an instant Olivia Pope became my new icon.

She was a problem solver, a “fixer.” The show had a protagonist yes, Olivia, but she was the hero, not the victim. She was a strong central black woman, something one rarely sees on TV, and she had what we like to call a personality, a presence. To be a part of her life, you were special. To be noticed, you had to be powerful. Olivia Pope was a genius. She had a personal life, issues, and regrets, but did she let that get in her way? No. She was strong, resilient and powerful. More powerful, I would say, then a lot of her clients.

The show was unique.

My parents never got cable, which is why, every Thursday night I waited up reloading the shady site to see if someone had uploaded Scandal yet. The first season ended with a bang. The second season wavered but in that last scene… we thought she was back. With her white hat and her passion… Olivia Pope was back.

And then the third season began. And now the show is on some tirade with one shock after another. This show is all about the problems of a total of seven or eight people. It is a shock factor. Olivia Pope has taken to crying. She is close to tears at the end of every command or lecture. Olivia Pope is a confused human being who has done so many things wrong and made so many mistakes that, now, she cannot even pretend to put on her white hat. Olivia Pope does not fix problems anymore, instead she is surrounded by a vast array of highly unreasonable, dramatic and confusing problems, and the fact remains that not only can no one woman can fix these problems, but the problems have no real solutions.

Good television hinges on being able to put the audience in the shoes of the characters, make them feel as if they are experiencing another world. Scandal is no longer able to do that. Every episode ends with a bang. Writers, producers and directors are counting on the fact that each ending will be so suspenseful that people will have to watch out of shear irritation. There is no hook, no real suspense. The characters, personalities, relationships have gone so far into the unimaginable that the series is unrealistic.

Scandal has lost its flare, its joie de vivre. All that remains is a bunch of memories, and reruns of a show that used to great.
tbd

No score yet - based on 1 Critic

1. Reviewed by: Henry Goldblatt
    Sep 27, 2013
    The final moments [of the premiere episode] set up a new mystery that could propel Shonda Rhimes' Sodom-on-the-Potomac creation through the rest of the fall. [4 Oct 2013, p.59]