Sherlock : Season 2

Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4
9.1

1. Mar 10, 2017
    I didn't even realize how much I cared about these characters until the third episode. Not only that, but Sherlock also continues to be just as good as the first season. A masterpiece mystery that is unpredictable, emotional and well acted. The only thing that I didn't like was that sometimes there is too much of the know-it-all stuff which doesn't even seem possible at times. But that's Sherlock!
  2. Jan 18, 2017
    The series is great. All of the episodes are excellent mysteries and well-made dramas/comedies. It is hard to say which episode is the best out of the three of them as all of them are great while having a few flaws: A Scandal in Belgravia can be a bit pretentious at times, The Hounds of Baskerville has some weak effects and can be a little silly at times, and The Reichenbach Fall has aThe series is great. All of the episodes are excellent mysteries and well-made dramas/comedies. It is hard to say which episode is the best out of the three of them as all of them are great while having a few flaws: A Scandal in Belgravia can be a bit pretentious at times, The Hounds of Baskerville has some weak effects and can be a little silly at times, and The Reichenbach Fall has a weak structure with potential plot holes within it. Also the first two episodes don't really affect the episodes that come after them, but this may be a good thing as each episode feels of its own. Overall, awesome series.

A Scandal in Belgravia: 9/10
    The Hounds of Baskerville: 9/10
    The Reichenbach Fall: 9/10
  3. Sep 23, 2016
    I’ve always found Steven Moffats revised Doctor Who series very inconsistent in terms of quality from episode to episode and, as a result, I didn’t get around to watching Sherlock until recently. Focused on shorter seasons of just 3 episodes however Moffat and his team are able to sustain a consistently high standard of script and the chemistry between Cumberbatch and Freeman remainsI’ve always found Steven Moffats revised Doctor Who series very inconsistent in terms of quality from episode to episode and, as a result, I didn’t get around to watching Sherlock until recently. Focused on shorter seasons of just 3 episodes however Moffat and his team are able to sustain a consistently high standard of script and the chemistry between Cumberbatch and Freeman remains excellent. Yes, if you look too closely there are a few things that don’t always add up (the same could probably be said of most TV shows though to be honest) but Sherlock’s second season is a great example of what the BBC is capable of at its best. Expand
  4. Jun 27, 2016
    The second season is a bit better than the first.
    Just as the previous one this season is witty,compelling and entertaining.
    One can't get enough of it,
    Cumberbatch is arguably the best Holmes on screen well supported by a great cast throughout the series
  5. Aug 23, 2015
    Sherlock is not your ordinary TV show, as this thing, in its second season, has given the audiences the ultimate script, head-spinning dialogues, and one of the most perfect casts ever.
  6. Jul 18, 2015
    For me, the three greatest episodes of the program come in series two; with "A Scandal in Belgravia" leading the way as a true benchmark for any who aim to modernize and adapt for the screen such a beloved novel.
  7. Jun 21, 2015
    I had some complains with the first season, with its over-complexity and sometimes over-scripted dialogs. This continuation is everything else than that, IT'S FREAKING INCREDIBLE!

The first (A Scandal in Belgravia) might be the most clever episode to date, and the plot is very solid. Still, it's a bit boring with the lame dialogs. But the season totally exploded away with the second and the third episode. "The Hounds of Baskerville" is much more mysterious, but also smarter. I see some character development with Sherlock, exemplary! There's many fun moments and it totally is hilarious sometimes. This specific episode is also beautifully shot, but perhaps not as clever. That's because the plot is surprisingly predictable.

The season finale though (The Reichenbach Fall), totally blew everything away. It's extremely entertaining and the story of Sherlock Holmes continued on paths I didn't even think could exist. This episode is the best so far, it's so hilarious and the plot is exemplary visualized. It's a bit tragic though, but the darker theme really made me like it. The villain is just as spectacular; crazy and scary, just as they should be like!

This second season of the clever show is much better than the first. It's darker, funnier and more entertaining. The plot is less complex than in the previous season, but the quality and the depth of the story is much greater.

My overall rating for each episode is 7.7, which is why i'm giving it an 8.

In short terms; I totally love this show, if it can continue on this great path.

8. Feb 14, 2015
    Finally a season 2 of the brilliant Sherlock, again the show provides for us an entertaining, intriguing and mesmerising experience of a modern retelling of the classic novels. Absolutely astounding.
  9. Nov 10, 2014
    The second series of Sherlock improves upon the first with its unpredictability, emotional weight, and once again, brilliant acting by all the characters.
  10. Sep 20, 2014
    smartly written incredible acting intriguing dialogue and great characters Sherlock is one of they best tv shows created.

EP1- A Scandal in Belgravia 9/10
    EP2- Hounds of Barskerville 9.2/10
    EP3- The Reichenbach Fall 9.7/10
    Overall 9.5/10
  11. Aug 6, 2014
    This is, by far, the best series of Sherlock yet. I'm actually also tempted to call it my favorite series of any show, EVER. It just gets everything right.

The first episode, "A Scandal in Belgravia", is my personal favorite. Following this masterpiece is the excellent "Hounds of Baskerville", which actually brings some decent horror to the show. Unexpected, and utterly amazing! "The

The first episode, "A Scandal in Belgravia", is my personal favorite.
    "The Reichenbach Fall" should sound familiar to anyone who's ever encountered Sherlock Holmes previously - and it's just as heartbreaking as it should be.

There is no reason to not watch this show. It is absolutely fantastic. I have no criticism whatsoever. Quite simply perfect.
  12. Mar 29, 2014
    While I did enjoy the first season of Sherlock, I had to say that this was much better. I thought this had a lot more humor and wit in it; I was lot more sophisticated and had better content in it. The ending was also very dramatic, I won't spoil it though; you just have to see it yourself.
  13. Mar 17, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Already with season 1 this show was already up on one of my favorite shows of all time. But season 2 exceeded my expectations for what was to come. With the introduction of Jim Moriarty the show became even more enthralling and tense as the last episode kept me guessing "How" and "Why" these events happened. Defiantly my favorite season of the show until season 4 comes out of course. Expand
  14. Feb 22, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What a cliffhanger this season ended on I couldn't wait for more, this season was just as good as the first, and now it added a perfect nemesis for Sherlock, Moriaty is just great, everything is just great. Expand
  15. Feb 1, 2014
    Another great season for the modern retelling of the old Sherlock Holmes stories. This season was particularly known for dealing with 3 of the most popular things ever done in the SH novels. The introduction of a well-known character, a classic storyline known by almost everyone, and the fateful meeting between Sherlock and his nemesis, Moriarty. While they did a good job with the firstAnother great season for the modern retelling of the old Sherlock Holmes stories. This season was particularly known for dealing with 3 of the most popular things ever done in the SH novels. The introduction of a well-known character, a classic storyline known by almost everyone, and the fateful meeting between Sherlock and his nemesis, Moriarty. While they did a good job with the first two, the last one was so far removed from everything else the series has done that I cannot say I enjoyed it at all. I felt it was a severe disappointment as the final episode had a different tone and a different way to tell the story. I was honestly so disappointed in how it played out but I am definitely excited to start Season 3 here soon. While the final episode here was awful, I'm more than excited to see what will happen next. Expand
  16. Jan 16, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Season 2 of Sherlock picks up right where it left off. Moriarty and Sherlock have each other at gunpoint when, all of a sudden, 'Staying Alive' starts playing?? It's Moriarty's phone, and it turns out he has to go. Uh...

While this isn't exactly the follow-up I was hoping from The Great Game, I have to admit that it was one laugh-out-loud moment. It's smart humour too; can you imagine Andrew Scott's Moriarty having a different ringtone? I do hope that phone call comes back into play, since it seemed nothing but an easy and comedic way out, but given Morality's fate this Season, things are looking bleak.

After a slightly disappointing opening, A Scandal in Belgravia, does a great job as an individual arc. I say individual arc but I really hope Lara Pulver's character, Irene Adler returns. As a skilled dominatrix, she uses her sexual powers to get into Sherlock's head. After Irene's - um - interesting first impression, they ensue in physiological warfare that comes dangerously close to flirtation (although Sherlock would never admit it).

If Sherlock could care about any woman, it'd be Irene. She's a clever character, and although she used her wits initially to attack Sherlock, she was ultimately a tool in Moriarty's game. Sherlock obviously grew quite fond of her, saving he life by the episode's end. And this from a high-functioning sociopath.

One thing that DID bug me about this episode was a sexist/homophobic undertone. Irene is supposedly a lesbian but she falls head-over-heels in love with Sherlock. Seriously? I do think this relationship has legs and hope Irene returns in the future but I'm hugely confused by Steven Moffat's decision to make her a lesbian. Or maybe I shouldn't be surprised since Moffat's reportedly quite the misogynist.

The Hounds of Bakersville is a weaker entry, in my opinion. It's at least marginally better than Season 1's The Blind Banker but like that episode, it feels stretched too thin over its 90 minute runtime. Not a whole lot to talk about here, just good old Sherlock and Watson case busting.

If you think think this is starting to sound like a Sherlock bashing session, then fear not: The Reichenbach fall is one of those TV episodes that make you want to just stand up and applaud once you're through. The intensity is dialled up a notch as Moriarty seeks to absolutely destroy Sherlock's life.

Moriarty, realizing Sherlock's friends are easier target, sets up elaborate traps for Sherlock to walk through, continually eating away at his stellar reputation. Moriarty lies without flinching, convincing people he was nothing more than an actor that Sherlock hired because he was bored, and that he has a code that can give a man all the power in the world. Almost getting himself imprisoned was just part of his plan to ruin Sherlock too. Moriarty wasn't pulling any punches.

Moriarty does his best but Sherlock ends up victorious in the end, somehow staging his own suicide, while Moriarty actually did the same. how exactly Sherlock survived the fall is unclear and was a major talking point during the show's hiatus.

And I haven't even talked about Watson. Things were complicated between him and Sherlock but Freeman's last few scenes were very emotionally touching. Sherlock may have been arrogant but he was Watson's friend.

Sherlock Season 2 is everything Season 1 promised to be. With season 3 airing soon in America, let's hope that another two years don't go by without this excellent series.
  17. Jan 11, 2014
    The Woman...The Hound...The Fall...
    Whatever doubts I had for Sherlock, those tiny nitpicks on the tapestry of innovation that has been so flawlessly woven, have been thoroughly erased by this second season. This trilogy of episodes is my favorite collection of television episodes ever made, bar none.
    The Woman...The Hound...The Fall...
    The story remains the same: a modern Sherlock Holmes and his faithful sidekick John Watson occupy the familiar flat at 221B Baker Street and solve mysteries as consulting detectives. Holmes is quickly gaining popularity through John's blog, leading him to come face-to-face with his intellectual match: James Moriarty. Ever since the shocking cliffhanger to the first season, Moriarty has been busy leading one of the most extensive crime syndicates in the world, and is the catalyst behind the three major cases which Sherlock must solve. The stakes have been raised higher and no one feels safe, even at their own home.
    Cumberbatch is, and always will be, the definitive Sherlock, constructing the character with a perfect sense of ignorance and determination. This brilliantly highlights his moments of genuine concern and emotion buried beneath his photographic memory and relentless mind. The deeper he goes into his cases and the insane world of Moriarty, the more we realize that Freeman's Watson is his brace back to the real world and his one true friend. The chemistry between the two is unrivaled in any medium and will doubtless be regarded as the greatest on-screen duo ever put on screen. But perhaps the greatest addition is Moriarty, whose strange mannerisms and flamboyance make him one of the most memorable, yet terrifying, villains on television. He is the perfect match for Cumberbatch due to their haunting similarities: a lust for excitement and unmatched intellectual prowess. The chemistry between the two enemies is incredible, working off of each other in a steady, chaotic game of chess, in which the fate of the British nation hangs in the balance.
    Each mystery is perfectly paced and a thrill ride from start to finish. For the first time the two detectives feel connected, which leads to even more hilarity throughout the investigations. John's sense of morality constantly conflicts with Sherlock's thorough enjoyment of the cases, forcing Sherlock to better grasp human emotions and attempt to lose his remorseless characteristics. With nothing held back, the writers constructed a three-course meal that is sharply written and overwhelmingly satisfying, from the first shots fired to the dramatic conclusion that still sparks intense debate to this day.
    Overall, Sherlock's sophomore season is quite simply a masterpiece. Flawless acting, writing, special effects, and character development all come together to form one of the greatest TV shows I have ever seen. Above all, Sherlock is unceasingly fun, whether you are trying to piece together an elaborate scheme or laughing at Sherlock's inability to comprehend the emotions of his peers. There is nothing else like it.

The game is most definitely on.

18. Dec 20, 2013
  19. Dec 18, 2013
    sherlock continues the same in quality in this second season,it had all the good things the first season had and the same problem as the first one(only three episodes per season).
  20. Dec 9, 2013
    When I heard about this show the first time, I was a bit concerned, but after watching the first season I could never think about Sherlock Holmes the same way because the first thing that I thought of was, Benedict Cumberbach.
    This is one of the most unique TV series' out there, and I can't wait for season 3.
  21. Dec 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An outstanding drama/mystery show, Sherlock Holmes played at his POSSIBLE best! The show has been put together in such a way it becomes an unforgettable experience. Every episode gets better an better! An from what I understand it was a bit of a breakout role for Benedict Cumberbatch as delays from Series proved difficult for the actors scheduling! If that's not proof enough how great a show it is for the true Sherlock fans Moriarty is played so beautifully an the relationship between the two of them works as if they would be the best of friends had the characters not been arch-enemies. The challenge of both their intellects combined creates a surrogate relationship that to the Moriarty is a game an to Sherlock its life and death. Beautiful modern day Sherlock for the drama/mystery lovers. This show earns a Top 5 spot on my list! Expand
  22. Nov 12, 2013
    There are some people who haven't watched this marvelous series, I feel sorry for them. This is the best TV series I've watched so far. If you're interested in detective stories, brainstorming riddles, spectacular acting or in-depth emotions, this set of 90 minutes is just for you. As "The Woman" said," Brain is the new sexy."
  23. Oct 9, 2013
    Every episode feels like a film. It is exciting, every arc is wrapped up (except from the finale I am dying to know what happens next, curse you BBC for not giving us a proper trailer); and the acting by Cumberbatch and Freeman is great. A must watch.
  24. Sep 17, 2013
    The first episode of season 2 made me realise that I was watching something special, a feeling the first season failed to induce in me. The portrayal of Irene Adler was iconic and unique. She is a dominatrix in every sense of the word_ intellectually, physically, emotionally. Funny and deceitful at the same time. I found myself falling for her. Anyway, that was not the only thing that theyThe first episode of season 2 made me realise that I was watching something special, a feeling the first season failed to induce in me. The portrayal of Irene Adler was iconic and unique. She is a dominatrix in every sense of the word_ intellectually, physically, emotionally. Funny and deceitful at the same time. I found myself falling for her. Anyway, that was not the only thing that they got right. The relationship between the Holmes boys was explored, and I found that I cared about Mycroft as well. He really does care about his little brother. The plot was inventive and takes you places. Watson, however, takes a backstage this time around, and oddly, I did not care about it so much as there were other greater things going on about.

All I can say is that the book (The Hound of the Baskervilles) was better than the adaptation. But it was still worthwhile watching the episode, but not by much.

The third episode was very creative and ended with something I did not fully understand. Moriarty seemed to be underwhelming earlier, with his child-like tantrums, but the actor played him with resolve in this episode. Ingenious.
  25. Jul 23, 2013
    You just can't ask for a better Sherlock...
    Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman make a perfect 'pair'...
    It may even be the best show/movie on Sherlock Holmes...
    And season for awesome...
  26. Jul 5, 2013
    S02E01 Scandal In Belgravia by far one of my top five episodes across any television series EVER! I have watched the full episode over 15 times and have watched a few key scenes upwards of 30 40 times as well. Well Done!
  27. May 22, 2013
    In many respects as good as the last season, but a little less cohesive. Some notable guest performances from Lara Pulver and Russell Tovey. Martin Freeman's performance in the finale is devastating.
  28. May 2, 2013
    Season 2 gets even better with new look on Sherlock Holmes. Irene Adler in the house! It all ended with amazing finale which made all us love the show even more!
  29. Apr 21, 2013
    Season 1 was amazing,
    Season 2 is even better.
    Every single episode has a better story, a better thriller and mystery.
    You can't take your eyes from the screen, an even though each episode is like has a whole movie length, you just don't want it to end! Brilliant!
  30. Apr 20, 2013
    Sherlock is an incredible show. What Sherlock Holmes was always meant to be and more!
    A must watch! The acting is fantastic to go along with a brilliant plot.

1. People Weekly
    Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    May 7, 2012
    In season 2 of PBS's richly clever Sherlock, the Victorian tales have been refitted to our century. [14 May 2012, p.44]
    Sherlock is a wonderful series. Just thinking about it makes me smile.
    Sherlock strikes a perfect--and delicious--balance among comedy, pathos, murder, and mystery.