9.1

1. Dec 16, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fascinating, superb. I've loose all the words. Mind-blowing, but still crispy. Although, the form looks like hard to swallowed, but when it has touched the tongue, its taste delicious and addictive.
    How Stefen Moffat can do all that stuff? I don't have any idea.
  2. Dec 14, 2014
    Season 1 of sherlock is a great introduction to the detectives story. the modernised version is far better than the ELEMENTARY **** version that the americans made, sherlock is english.. not pissing american and john is a male.. not a female!! **** sake.. benedict cumberbatch is excellent giving a beautiful performance aswell as martin freeman. that cliffhanger was also excellent..
  3. Nov 30, 2014
    Sherlock is, by far, one of the best TV shows I have ever seen. The portrayal of Sherlock and John is fantastic, and the plot is witty and never tiresome. However, the show is aired infrequently, with an average of 3 episodes every two years; there are only 3 seasons, 9 episodes to date.
  4. Nov 19, 2014
    Sherlock is my second favourite show on tv and for good reason. The acting is top notch, the writing is awesome and each series is only 3 episodes long (90 minutes each episode)
  5. Nov 12, 2014
    Excellent show, I am waiting for more episodes. The lead actors are fabulous. I think they did a great job showing the anti social nature of true genius. Does the show have it's flaws? Did the producers sometimes try to overthink some things and paint themselves into a corner? Or did they try to fix flaws in earlier plots by rewriting things with giants holes in them? Sure, but as far asExcellent show, I am waiting for more episodes. The lead actors are fabulous. I think they did a great job showing the anti social nature of true genius. Does the show have it's flaws? Did the producers sometimes try to overthink some things and paint themselves into a corner? Or did they try to fix flaws in earlier plots by rewriting things with giants holes in them? Sure, but as far as Sherlock Holmes goes, I haven't seen anything better. It's certainly leagues better than the other drama crime solving shows that are so popular these days. And considering the CG driven scenes and black hole sized plot holes most shows have these days. This show is fabulous. Speaking of movies, I have been watching all of the Sherlock Holmes movies I can after this. And most of them fall woefully short of this television show. Expand
  6. Nov 10, 2014
    The first season of Sherlock is very witty and smart. Brilliant acting and stellar scripts are part of what makes this one of the brightest shows on TV.
  7. Sep 24, 2014
    Almost a perfect 10, acting, music, character development, scenery, action, mystery. I have to give a 11 for writing though, it's brilliant. Each series is 3 episode, for some reason, the 2nd in each is my least favourite but no problem watching them all several times.
  8. Sep 23, 2014
    sherlock would not stoop to using OLD sms-texting.

From his smartphone he would use OTR with Xmpp Texting

mouthbreathers will be confused and unable to highlight words to right-click lookup on Duck DUCK go!
  9. Sep 20, 2014
    Smart dialogue Perfectly Casted great mystery's Sherlock is a great TV Show.

EP1- A study in pink 9.2/10
    EP2- The blind banker 8.2/10
    EP3- The great game 9/10 overall 9.0/10
  10. Jun 10, 2014
    A very clever show with great writing and acting, all though the third season is the weaker season of the series it still manages to keep the cleverness that the previous seasons had all though the series is definetly worth a watch and is very entertaining B+
  11. Jun 9, 2014
    Sherlock season 1 is great, but never has a show so instantly established itself as classic, and then imploded. Seasons 2 is OK. Season 3, what I saw of it, was terrible. I've given up watching. The show has become so frantic in its pacing and how it is shot, like a 50 minute music video, that I just can't take it anymore. I think some shots are so short they must occupy half a frame ofSherlock season 1 is great, but never has a show so instantly established itself as classic, and then imploded. Seasons 2 is OK. Season 3, what I saw of it, was terrible. I've given up watching. The show has become so frantic in its pacing and how it is shot, like a 50 minute music video, that I just can't take it anymore. I think some shots are so short they must occupy half a frame of film. Also, rather than understand Sherlock's reasoning, as we did in season 1, the explanations in season 3 are not explanations at all. They are just pretend explanations that come and go so quickly we are not even meant to understand them, which makes the show boring. I wish the show were still like season 1. In other words, just dramatize the story, and cut out all the post production jazz overdubs and visuals and all that hyperactive nonsense. If you have so little faith in your story that you have to dress it up with all this gibbering nonsense, don't even bother telling it. It's annoying. I'm going back to re-watch the 1980s-90s Sherlock Holmes, the definitive series with Jeremy Brett, which by the way this series copies very very much in terms of Sherlock's personality. I've bid goodbye to this ADHD Attention Deficit Disordered version. Enough is enough. Expand
  12. Jun 6, 2014
    Very amazing programme, loved every minute of it. Very interesting editing and camera shots. Officially a Sherlock fan. I'm even doing my essay on Sherlock.
  13. Jun 5, 2014
    A masterpiece of a show. It will require a larger amount of time per episode than usual for a show, but it is totally worth it. They are more like short movies. Flawless movies, with clever humor, mystery, and great actors.
  14. Jun 1, 2014
    Great acting, great writing and the story is fantastic but it suffers from over-compexity and too many sublets especially in EP 3. Overall Sherlock season 1 is a terrific start but overrated. 7.810.
  15. Apr 17, 2014
    What's not to love about Sherlock, brilliant actors, brilliant writers, brilliant story line and everything in-between the fact of how its modern everything about it is brilliant but as im sure many others are who watch this show like myself seeing the slight slip it took in season three despite it being a brilliant season there just wasn't the amount of crimes and time with just SherlockWhat's not to love about Sherlock, brilliant actors, brilliant writers, brilliant story line and everything in-between the fact of how its modern everything about it is brilliant but as im sure many others are who watch this show like myself seeing the slight slip it took in season three despite it being a brilliant season there just wasn't the amount of crimes and time with just Sherlock and john as there needed to be. I love Marys character but at the same time its because of her major involvement that Magnuson or however you spell it was underplayed. I think in future series of this show that they need to return to the classic stuff and somehow factor in events from season 3 to do with Mary (don't want to spoil for people who haven't seen). Expand
  16. Mar 29, 2014
    I decided to watch the first Sherlock due to my sister really liking it and it really didn't disappoint with this first season. While before this I never read even just a page of a Sherlock Holmes book, I found myself enjoying the characters and the drama in this series. I would absolutely recommend this series to anyone; as far as I know you can find the first two seasons of this show on Netflix.
  17. Mar 18, 2014
    Benedict Cumberbatch is a blessing to all things performance. So much so, that I can't help but wonder why it isn't his face appearing in Metacritic's picture for Sherlock. Not that Freeman isn't also a splendid actor, but the show isn't called "Watson," is it? Just a thought.
  18. Mar 14, 2014
    Damn this show is grat, ben is great as sherlock, and i love watson as well, the convination of both of them is amazing, i dont think there is a better sherlock than bennedict
  19. Mar 8, 2014
    This show is absolutely amazing for all ages. It's funny, suspenseful and has the best plot. Benedict Cumberbatch and the whole casting is absolutely spectacular throughout making this my favorite television show ever!
  20. Feb 22, 2014
    This show managed what many others failed, bringing Sherlock Holmes to the present day, but they managed it, they got a perfect actor as Sherlock, they have great mystery, and it is just perfect.
  21. Feb 15, 2014
    Sherlock is my equal favourite television series of all time, including Doctor Who.

This series has [arguably] the smartest writing on modern television and it feels cinematic with a bit of a flamboyant British feel to it. My favourite episode of the series, so far, would have to be A Scandal in Belgravia. The episode is rife with action, witty dialogue, political cover-ups and a

My favourite episode of the series, so far, would have to be A Scandal in Belgravia. The episode is rife with action, witty dialogue, political cover-ups and a story where everything comes full-circle; not one story detail is forgotten. P.S. Irene Adler was wonderful in this episode, her censored cleavage and all.

If you love television that feels truly big with outstanding acting and writing, Sherlock is the show for you. Benedict Cumberbatch breathes new life into the character of Sherlock Holmes and Martin Freeman portrays John Watson in a very down-to-earth way, but craves action: e.g. A Study in Pink.
  22. Jan 31, 2014
    Loved seasons 1 & 2, but the current one... ghastly! 3 hours to date, and not a single case we can sink our teeth in. Lame little sub-plots with flashbacks (ad nauseam !!) that only a flaming ADD sufferer would appreciate. The recent (2nd) episode gave me a headache and left me bored, bored bored! Bang!
  23. Jan 30, 2014
    This is a wonderful modern day take on the old Sherlock Holmes stories from back in the day. Cumberbatch is at his best, per usual, and Freeman plays a great sidekick. I feel like the image of Moriarty was taken in a direction that I'm still not sure I like. He's clearly as evil as ever but the guy playing him gives a performance that is very up or down. I'm also not sure if I like theThis is a wonderful modern day take on the old Sherlock Holmes stories from back in the day. Cumberbatch is at his best, per usual, and Freeman plays a great sidekick. I feel like the image of Moriarty was taken in a direction that I'm still not sure I like. He's clearly as evil as ever but the guy playing him gives a performance that is very up or down. I'm also not sure if I like the format of the show. 3 hour and a half "episodes" per season is just something I'm not used to and probably will never get used to seeing. You really have to sit down and commit to this if you're going to get into the show. It's not really a negative so I can't penalize it for that. Just know that people in America watching this show might be confused by the movie length of these episodes. Expand
  24. Jan 29, 2014
    Fantastic performances by Martin Freeman and Benedict Cumberbatch, great use of making classic 'Sherlock Holmes' stories taking place in modern day London, and all around great story arc you can get invested into.
  25. Jan 25, 2014
    despite the fact the latest episodes were just not as good in plot, it's fair to say that the creators of Doctor Who have reintroduced Britain's most loved detective, and done so with generally exciting, extreme and well put together programs.
  26. Jan 16, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sherlock Season 1 is a smart and snazzy introduction to a modern take on everyone's favourite super-sleuth, Sherlock Holmes. Although it's not without its not without its growing pains, the first series stands as great, highly entertaining television, with top notch actors, characterization, and mysteries.

A study in Pink vitally establishes what exactly we will grow to love in the coming episodes. This marks the first meeting of Sherlock (Benedict Cumberbatch) and Watson (Martin Freeman) and their new flat in Baker Street, which is home to all kinds of excellent banter later on. This episode's highlights were found in learning just who the world's first consulting detective really is. John Watson plays the role of the viewer in a way -- constantly confused about Sherlock's actions and what he did to piss so many people off.

The answer is simply because he's Sherlock, and that's what makes this character, brought to life by the outstanding Cumberbatch, so fascinating to watch.

Honestly though, despite an interesting premise (mass suicide outbreak for no apparent reason) the villain sort of falls flat. He does, however, mention Moriarty for the first time. The game is on.

The next episode, The Blind Banker, may just be Sherlock's worst yet. I'm not Asian but racism is definitely apparent in this episode, with the Chinese being perceived as evil and scheming. Every single character Chinese character is a con or ex-con, so while it didn't offend me personally, I found it quite distasteful. I also feel like this episode didn't justify its entire 90 minute screen-time, as the case quickly lost steam after around 40 minutes. Otherwise, this episode is salvaged by Freeman and Cumberbatch, and more of what we loved from episode 1.

The Season's magnum opus would undoubtedly have to be The Great Game. The whole concept of using explosives and strapping them to innocent citizens isn't exactly original but Moriarty (Andrew Scott) does things extremely differently than typical fictional bad guys. Instead of forcing his victims to do tasks they otherwise wouldn't, Moriarty uses innocent lives just to get to Sherlock. This is Moriarty's first appearance, and his flamboyant and clever behaviour really added a lot to the finale. The consulting criminal is smart enough to go toe to toe with Sherlock and tricks him into a very sticky situation by the end of the episode. Watching Andrew Scott's Moriarty is a treat every second he's on screen.

Sherlock Season 1 was a very solid opening to one of the best mystery dramas on TV. The amazing cast including Cumberbatch, Freeman, Scott, and Mark Gatiss, who not only puts on a great performance as Mycroft but writes the Season's best episode too, pulls us through the hard times to give us an amazing finale. Michael Price's score is also definitely worth mentioning too; Sherlock wouldn't be the same without it. If you like what you saw, Season 2 only gets better.
  27. Jan 10, 2014
    I never thought I would say that a three-episode TV season would be the greatest bargain I've ever received. Sherlock is an unbelievable experience, taking every recent iteration of the iconic sleuth and overshadowing each one with its witty dialogue and incredible lead acting. Cumberbatch, who flawlessly portrays the lovably heartless sociopath, and Freeman, the humane war veteran Watson,I never thought I would say that a three-episode TV season would be the greatest bargain I've ever received. Sherlock is an unbelievable experience, taking every recent iteration of the iconic sleuth and overshadowing each one with its witty dialogue and incredible lead acting. Cumberbatch, who flawlessly portrays the lovably heartless sociopath, and Freeman, the humane war veteran Watson, come together as one of the best on-screen duos quite possibly in any medium. Their banter both in and outside the crime scenes, ranging from deductions to social conflicts, give the series an unquenchable spirit that keeps the audience begging for more. The mysteries are also cleverly adapted from the source material, taking Doyle's masterpieces and reinventing them with a modern twist that adds a sense of relevance to the episodes. Even the supporting cast is memorable, featuring performances that make me seriously rethink my opinions of the Robert Downey films. Lestrade is not a bumbling idiot but a useful ally. Mrs. Hudson isn't an irritable landlady, but a sweet, naive mother figure. Everything feels better and allows me to invest in the story even more.
    In short, it says a lot about a series to produce three episodes a season. They need to uphold a strong level of quality to make up for the lack of content they provide. However, Sherlock needn't worry about all this. The characters, mysteries, and dialogue not only come together like cogs in a machine, perfectly working off one another to produce an exceptional final product, but also go above and beyond the source material with a modern spin that truly shines. It is my sincere hope that Sherlock lasts forever, because its undeniable charm has forever been implanted into my mind, taking root and, like a good mystery, will never escape until the case is closed.
    Elementary.

9.5/10
  28. Jan 10, 2014
    Every episode is of movie quality. I find myself analyzing every movement of every character in hopes that i will have taken part in the intricate unraveling mystery of each episode. EVERY MAIN CHARACTER IS SPOT ON. My wife and I stare into other people shopping carts, deducing their intentions and previous motives. We all need a Sherlock in our lives.
  29. Dec 22, 2013
    It's a breath of fresh air; while the changes may prove jarring for those loyal to Sir Doyle's script, or to any other rendition of this popular character(s), it's still much more entertaining and well-written than a good majority of what's available on TV in the last few years.
  30. Dec 20, 2013
    He is everything you want in a modern day sleuth; he is funny, intriguing, mysterious and doesn't have any time for media! Remember the days when you watched that first really, really good captivating and enrapturing mystery--well it has been repeated in a rare way. I don't think there will be ever a chance to replicate and remix Sherlock in such a wonderful and elaborate way every again.He is everything you want in a modern day sleuth; he is funny, intriguing, mysterious and doesn't have any time for media! Remember the days when you watched that first really, really good captivating and enrapturing mystery--well it has been repeated in a rare way. I don't think there will be ever a chance to replicate and remix Sherlock in such a wonderful and elaborate way every again.

Well done! I have a new found faith in TV--thanks BBC--that it's story must not pivot in sexuality and cursing. That a show can have deep characters and dialogue that are fully able to resuscitate the brain once again with a electrifying shock to the system. A show that makes me think! I even wrote notes with hope that the producers gave me some hints to the seconds series GRAND finale!

1. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    Dec 8, 2010
    Clearly, there are few more durable figures in fiction, but capturing the fundamental appeal of Holmes is quite another matter. And on that level, Sherlock cannily cracks the case.
  2. Reviewed by: Alan Sepinwall
    Oct 24, 2010
    Thanks to committed performances from Cumberbatch and Freeman, and clever writing from Moffat and Gatiss, most of it works splendidly.
  3. Reviewed by: Robert Lloyd
    Oct 24, 2010
    It is cinematic in the sense that nothing in it looks quite real. But it works: This is not the London known as jolly and old, but the new chilly city of glass, a place of missed connections, of aliens and alienation. And the smart dialogue and warm performances--even Holmes has a discernible beating heart, or perhaps two--keep ice from forming on the production.