• Network: E4
  • Series Premiere Date: Jan 25, 2007
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7
7.3

1. Jun 1, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Horrendous. Let me start by saying that "Skins" is one of my favorite shows, and I have adored the series prior to this (with the exception of the latter half of series 4. Loved Naomi and Emily, but the majority of the characters had incomplete arcs, and storylines that were sometimes completely nonsensical). Now, let me take it a step further by stating that I, unlike many others, quite possibly adored series 5 the most. The characters were engaging, the dialogue was sharp, and most impressively, it catered to outcasts. This was most clearly seen with the character of Frankie. I honestly cannot think of 1 character from a teen show who challenged gender roles and stereotypes the way she did. As a transgender person, I found this incredibly refreshing. You simply do not get to see characters like that respectfully portrayed on TV. Ever. She was giving many gender non-conforming people a voice, and it was one of the most glorious things I've ever experienced, as a TV viewer.

Enter series 6. Within the first 10 minutes of the episode, everything that series 5 had established is undone. Frankie wears dresses and skirts, and has a *completely different* personality to match. What? I mean, honestly... What? It would be one thing if her utter physical and emotion transformation were addressed by the character, but it was not. Suddenly, this character who pushed boundaries and gave a voice to so many isolated kids was gone. The character of Rich underwent the same pruning, with most of what made him different being stripped away. In fact, all of the characters began to blend in with one another, with their individual arcs from series 5 going ignored. Hey, what about Mini's eating disorder? OH, she begins series 6 in a bikini, completely confident!! LOL. Series 5 clearly built up chemistry between Mini and Frankie, and all of that was ignored this series, as well, in favor of Mini spontaneously developing an affinity for Alo. Out of nowhere. The show tries to pass off Frankie's previous androgynous appearance as a result of sexual abuse (this series, she only dresses masculine when she's feeling bad about herself). In addition to being problematic, this makes absolutely zero sense. Frankie wasn't sulking around in sweat pants and unkempt hair, last series. She toiled over her appearance, wore tailored suits, and clearly enjoyed the way she looked. It was when she came to school feminine, wearing makeup, that she felt uncomfortable! This series changed her personality to the complete opposite, with no explanation! It's like this series they brought in a team of writers who had never seen the show before, honestly. What was once a thought-provoking, endearing show with depth and unique characters has devolved into the OC. Instead of the compelling relationships from 5, we get Mini being obsessed with Alo's penis. I wish I were being overly critical, but the truth is, this is actually painful to write, because I am such a huge fan. I have never shipped characters as hard as I have with "Skins," but with this series, I am actually struggling to name moments that *didn't* enrage me.

I generally don't leave reviews, but I write this in hopes that series 7 of "Skins" (which revisits the characters from the previous 6 series) will not disappoint the way this has. Please, don't massacre those characters, writers. Please.

There are no critic reviews yet.