• Network: FOX
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 16, 2013
  • Season #: 1 , 2
7.6

1. May 24, 2014
    This is a captivating show. I would not have watched this show without a friend's recommendation because I thought, Sleepy Hollow, really? But, Sleepy Hollow, took me by surprise and I am hooked. The main characters have chemistry, the dialogue is smart and snappy, the visuals are mouth-watering, and overall, the show works! Give this little gem a whirl, you will not be disappointed if you like smart, entertaining tv. Expand
  2. Apr 19, 2014
    Great show. The season is very good with a lot of suspense, action, drama, character development, and surprises. The end of season left me wanting more. However, I was confused during some parts of it, but everything is explained as the series progresses.
  3. Mar 28, 2014
    While I can see why one might have had doubts over this show, after seeing many episodes I think the show is great. I think it's one of the best new shows out there. One thing I especially like is that unlike other shows (where some episodes don't really contribute to the overall story, and are somewhat random) every Sleepy Hollow episode adds something to the story arc or characters. Character development is pretty evident, such as seeing Ichabod become more and more stressful, worried and anxious, as the final battle between good and evil and possibly the apocalypse approaches.
    I honestly don't see why people criticize this show for being generic and cliched. I liked Tom Mison as Ichabod Crane (who's incredibly like-able as Ichabod Crane) and Nicole Beharie as Abbie Mills and seeing the two of them be partners. The entire cast is excellent. I like the plots of each episode and the modern retelling of the old legend. The show will scare you with the occasional creepy scene, but it also has funny dialogue in the script as well. I will eagerly wait for season two. This show looks very promising. (In case you were wondering, FOX renewed Sleepy Hollow for a second season. I think it'll have three seasons or The only complaint I have with this show (and pretty much every show) is that the episodes end a bit too conveniently; they're able to wrap up just before the hour is up. But that is a very minor complaint.
    If you liked this review, read my other ones on a wide selection of movies, TV shows, and videogames and mark this review as helpful.
  4. Feb 12, 2014
    Love this show! Naturally it has some flaws, and sometimes the storylines and arcs can be difficult to follow, but the cast and scripts have found the perfect balance of drama, humour, social commentary and history (albeit, not quite what you read in the history books!) Love the Apocalyptical theme. Just wish there was more Headless Horseman on screen... when he first uses that pump-action shot gun, I was hooked! Please, please, don't cancel this show. Keep the writing and the characters strong because, apart from Almost Human and Sherlock, Sleepy Hollow is the only show on the box worth watching. Expand
  5. Jan 29, 2014
    Sleepy Hollow is a wildly-entertaining adventure series that has plenty of likeable characters who have a nice chemistry between them, especially the leads. This series gets better with each episode, but there are certainly flaws. Since it is a free-to-air network television series, the budget restraints are certainly noticeable through to cheesy special effects and what not, there are also some really cheesy lines of dialogue as well and is rather silly at times. Overall, Sleepy Hollow is a great and fun cult show and I am certainly looking forward to the next season. Expand
  6. Jan 18, 2014
    Great show. Not a big cop drama fan, so reluctant to watch. Glad I did it's keeps you watching with just the right amount of comedy,action, and drama. Really enjoy the combination of time travel, religion, and humor.
  7. Dec 9, 2013
    Why. A god awful show, hopefully it will be cancelled next year. John Cho and Clancy Brown deserve better. the story is unnecessarily convoluted, the characters have no depth and the stories have no meat, just meaningless banter ha serves o scare away the viewer with is approach o storytelling.
  8. Nov 25, 2013
    It's okay so far. It started out great but has kind of slowed down. I'm hopeful that it will get better before the season's end. I'm not set on all the actors than play the characters.
  9. Nov 24, 2013
    I love, love, love, the show it keeps me wating more. I love how it reference the bible. The actors are great and I think they have great chemistry it makes you believe the story. I look forward to more seasons
  10. Nov 21, 2013
    While I can see why one might have had doubts over this show after seeing the first episode, I have watched all of the ones aired so far and I think the show is great. I honestly don't see why people criticize this show for being generic and cliched. I liked Tom Mison as Ichabod Crane (who's incredibly like-able as Ichabod Crane) and Nicole Beharie as Abbie Mills and seeing the two of them be partners. I like the plots of each episode and the modern retelling of the old legend. The show will scare you with the occasional creepy scene, but it also has funny dialogue in the script as well. I will eagerly continue watch to see how this show turns out. This show looks very promising. (In case you were wondering, FOX renewed Sleepy Hollow for a second season. I think it'll have three seasons or so.)

11. Nov 20, 2013
    I really did NOT enjoy this. The acting was barely satisfactory, the accents were completely forced. It seems like they tried too hard, and just made an awful mess of a great story. I would not recommend wasting your time watching it.
  12. Nov 9, 2013
    Sleepy hollow is a pretty awesome show that involves crime, drama, mystery and fantasy. I loved the first few episodes tho literally I fell asleep during episode 6.
  13. Oct 27, 2013
    Can't wait for each episode. Was initially bummed because I thought each episode would only center on the deadly deeds of the horseman....but the trajectory of the series changed with the second episode. Love the vocal banter of the two leads, thankful for the metered way in which the backstory is revealed, and am already trying to figure out which characters in the police precinct are aware of what is going on in Sleepy Hollow. Thanks for not dragging out the storyline....which is why I stopped watching Once Upon A Time, Grimm (you've seen one, you've seen them all), and Lost. Good show FOX. I'm hooked. Expand
  14. Oct 18, 2013
    I think Tom Mison does a great job, he makes the show for me. The mythology is fun, the stories are good, and, as someone else mentioned, the show doesn't take itself too seriously. I just wish they'd get Crane some new clothes, it's kind of annoying, haha.
  15. Oct 16, 2013
    Really interesting! I love seeing Sleepy Hollow in a modern setting! Just seeing the headless horseman pick a shot gun was like "whoa"! It makes you see how much more dangerous it is for something like that in a modern time than it is an older time. The only reason I didn't give this show a 10 is because it does tend to jump around a bit which could cause a little bit of confusion to certain viewers but overall i like it. Can't wait to see more. Expand
  16. Oct 16, 2013
    This show has had a lot of mixed reviews since its release in early September and I only came across it myself recently. This show is by far the best NEW release this fall and had me gripped from episode one and sweating with anticipation for the next! I agree and acknowledge that the show wont be for everyone especially with the strength of the mythological roots that it holds in each episode. Would definitely recommend to any horror action fan!

However due to the amount of mixed reviews, its not something I would bank on returning next year so if your looking for a series like supernatural or lost that will keep you entertained for a good few years, this is not the series for you. As always though this is not set in stone and for me is very much worth the risk.
  17. Oct 12, 2013
    Do you like Teen Wolf (TV), True Lies, Vampire Diaries kinda shows? If so, then you won't mind this. Nothing original...just another way to pass a hour or so without feeling like watching a Duck Dynasty re-run. I wonder if it would last more than 2 Seasons though....
  18. Oct 12, 2013
    The first episode was spectecular; as the show went on, it over-shadowed the headless horseman which was my greatest fear as i started watching. disappointed.
  19. Oct 11, 2013
    Good show, interesting plot, great actors, pretty good dialogue. Only thing missing? Need better 'plot of the week' styled episodes. The main actor deserves a call out for his performance, and the writers too... for his lines. He OWNS the show. (but I kind of want the female cop to die, because she is way too much of the "skully" type. Skully-type Someone who should know better, but doesn't and gets away with it. Sillyness... get rid of her. Her sister is fine though! Expand
  20. Oct 10, 2013
    Thank you Sleepy Hollow, thank you. Sleepy Hollow is the first and only show in a long time that involves DEMONS. ACTUAL DEMONS!!! Not Vampire, not werewolves, not zombies, not aliens, DEeeeemons!!! YES! And they are awesome. Like Hellboy. This show is a LOT more epic than you might think. The Horseman is not a headless dude riding around town killing people because he's evil. He's actually one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse signalling the beginning of the end of the world, so yeah. The writing is clever, witty and original. The cast is unique, likable and fun. Watch this show, you will like it. Expand
  21. Oct 7, 2013
    Fox TV shows aren't known for their in-depth characters or story plots and Sleepy Hollow fits this all to perfectly. I feel like the rich history of the fabled town and it's over-seas origins is missed because the studio wants an american story that's relateable instead of factorial. The characters and story could of had so much more depth added to them but Fox wanted to attempt to scare people with superficial gimmicks, a sad story, and uninteresting characters. After 2 shows, I deleted this show from my recordings. Expand
  22. Oct 5, 2013
    This reminds the early supernatural scary as hell and take you to the whole new level of unpredictable horror.When theirs a startrek connection always can expect best and this time also no exception.Awesome cast nice plot with well managed dialogues and high tech effects,Probably the best new show of fall.
  23. Oct 5, 2013
    horrible show...bad acting with a very slow plot! The Cast could have been better selected...No surprises, very predictable...mediocre show at best! Good luck surviving beyond season 1!
  24. Oct 4, 2013
    Not a bad show but really guys, the Apocalypse again. Four horsemen, end of days, witnesses, kitchen sink. The writers of Johnny Depp's movie about the headless horseman legend rewrote the story in a far more effective and creative manner. This show (and, yes, I did give it a 7) reminds of the American Horror Story's writing formula. Throw absolutely everything at them and they'll love it. Not always. Cute, though, that the Orlando Jones character is named Capt. Irving. Expand
  25. Oct 3, 2013
    If you don't have a problem suspending your disbelief, you'll probably get some entertainment out of this. Unfortunately, I had trouble doing that. The writers don't appear to be sweating the details or even concerned with having it make sense. It's all about making a fast-paced show with nice visuals and action. On that level, it works. If you can turn off your brain enough to enjoy it.
  26. Oct 1, 2013
    So disappointing.
    Feels cheap, generic, boring. I lost interest in this series after 30 minutes of episode 1. Bad acting, poor choice of casting. The main protagonist is just boring, no charisma.
    Too bad, it was really promising... Sleepy Hollow tv series!
    But hey, I should've known better than expect a quality show from anything on ABC/CBS/NBC
  27. Oct 1, 2013
    Awesome acting, awesome storyline, awesome special effects! Scary. The visuals are amazing and the story keeps you wanting more. This show is the bomb!
  28. Sep 27, 2013
    Really interesting premise, but I'm worried it's going to be a supernatural soap. Going right to thwarting the apocalypse doesn't leave a whole lot of room for growth. I enjoy it now, but if it goes on a winter hiatus, I might lose my interest, like I have with so many other soapy shows.
  29. Sep 25, 2013
    extremely disappointing tv show
    very bad acting, very thin and naive story.
    I would be very surprised if this TV series had more than one (disappointing) season
  30. Sep 24, 2013
    A mix of action, horror, and a touch of comedy. The main actor and actress are fairly good in their roles and the show provides a very nice hour of entertainment. I recommend watching this series, or at least give it a try.
  31. Sep 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Just the best new TV show of this Fall Season. Has horror, suspense and comedy. Just perfect! I love the history!

The pilot it's just perfect. I can't imagine the next ones!
  32. Sep 19, 2013
    Watched the first episode concerned it was going to be like Grimm, an interesting premise that never came close to working for me. I was pleasantly surprised. While not great, a few holes in the characters and plot that weakened this episode, I found myself drawn to the show, and I am looking forward watching it again next week.
  33. Sep 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've reserved judgement on this so far, but the introduction seems a bit interesting. However, I'm finding some of the characters flat thus far.

Spoiler Alert below:

Okay, so you've been handed a supernatural mission from beyond the grave, wake up 250 years later, everything is different, you're still wearing clothes appropriate to the era you died in, and lo and behold, it turns out you've been hauled back because your nemesis is out to do some Apocalypse Now, and the one thing you comment on is that the old livery stable is now a Starbucks.

...what?

Not that your wife was burned at the stake (historically inaccurate as hell, the Salem witch trials didn't spread into New York and the last person to be executed in the US for witchcraft was a Huron named Leatherlips in the 19th century) not long after your death, not that you suddenly are presented with all modern technology in all its marvels, not that the town you died in that had a grand total of, say, 60 residents and now sports a good 150,000 or so.

Nope, the most important thing to note is that you happen to be passing by a coffee place in a modern conveyance of a most speedy clip in a strangely new land.

Granted, having been awoken by the fact that the guy you beheaded prior to dying is running around chopping people's heads off again might strain credulity in the first place, so why bother with little things like crazy fish-out-of-water situations in the midst of hunting down the personification of Death?

Get it together, Sleepy Hollow writers. Either Ichabod is the most stable guy in all of the world (almost EXACTLY counterpoint to every single interpretation of the original Sleepy Hollow tale) or he's barely holding it together in the modern world.
  34. Sep 18, 2013
    Not crazy about the cast (so far) but I'm going to withhold judgement because the story is compelling. I am rooting for this show. Fox is pretty quick with the cancellation trigger so I've promised myself not to get too invested.
  35. Sep 18, 2013
    Lots to like here if this is your genre. Agree with what everyone else is saying fast -paced, good acting, nice cinematography. The over arching plot is interesting and has loads of potential to expand, though it does seem like a show where you have to watch to keep up with the mythology. There were a few clichéd, annoying plot elements early in the pilot but thankfully they cleaned them up and moved on before the hour was up. And one super minor blooper, the real village of Sleepy Hollow has a population of 9870. For the series, they used the Village of Sleepy Hollow sign but changed the pop. to 144,000, which is a city, not a village. Expand
  36. Sep 17, 2013
    An amazing, intense, creative horror action show that you can't help but love. This could be the best new show of the fall. It blends a classic story with age old myths and modern horror, and the result is scary and awesome.
  37. Sep 17, 2013
    My initial skepticism at the concept was thrown at the door relatively quickly into the episode. Decent acting, good cinematography, and an intriguing plot point to this show having some promise. Hopefully they'll keep it up.
  38. Sep 17, 2013
    We'll see how this goes, but I liked the pilot overall. You have to suspend your disbelief a good deal, but only a little more than say some of those cop or doctor shows which are nearly as fantastical. The pace was fast, and the production and acting was solid, and even has the promise of some good chemistry between the leads. The writers seem to be blending in different ideas, stories, and worlds. And I assume that in this alternate universe Irving never wrote the story of the Headless Horseman and Ichabod Crane. I hope they can make sense of the stories and ideas as they go, as there is the danger that this can turn into another Hero’s. Fingers crossed. Expand
  39. Sep 16, 2013
    If you can't or aren't willing to suspend your imagination then this show really isn't for you. Having said that what we have is a promising, if preposterous, pilot with a solid cast, good production values, and the genesis of a serial story arc. While I'm sure we'll be dealing with a certain number of stand alone episodes, the show's pilot seems strictly focused on the larger picture...apocalyptic you might say. This is a good thing as a serialized shows tend to rely more on the characters to carry individual episodes than the individual content of each episode. While for some shows this would spell doom, in this case it is a very good thing as the strength of the acting and the chemistry between the two leads is arguably the best thing it's got going for it.

There are creepy, but only occasionally scary scenes, but the pilot seems to suggest that Sleepy Hollow is intended not as a horror show, but as a supernatural mystery with dark overtones and a scare here and there. The horseman himself is well done and makes a more interesting character than one might expect from a character that has no lines and no head. There's a surprising amount of humor, although much of it relies on the fish out of water concept that is sometimes pretty campy.

As for the show's mythology...well it's certainly going to be interesting. It seems as though the writers brainstormed on things they could tie in to the idea of the headless horseman and rather than deciding on any specific idea, they instead decided to go with a mixture of most if not all of them. This might seem disastrous when viewed from a distance, but after watching the pilot it somehow works.

Give it a shot. See what you think. I recommend it, particularly to those who like sci-fi, horror
  40. Sep 16, 2013
    Very promising. Mison is incredibly like-able as Ichabod Crane. Beharie, who places LT. Abbie Mills, is a little rough at first but finishes rather strong in my opinion. A bit fast paced but very like-able, entertaining, and manages to suck you in quite nicely. I'd happily give it a few more episodes, It seems rather promising.

1. Reviewed by: Vicki Hyman
    Feb 13, 2014
    The mythology comes on hard and heavy in the first hour, but like ABC's blink-and-you-missed-it spring thriller "Zero Hour," it's ponderous yet silly.
  2. Reviewed by: Michael Starr
    Oct 3, 2013
    Sleepy Hollow has an interesting premise and some terrific CGI effects (re: the Headless Horseman), but I didn’t buy into the show’s mystical/mythological/sci-fi overtones, a mishmash of history, witchcraft and muddled Biblical prophesy that left me confused instead of intrigued.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Tallerico
    Sep 26, 2013
    It’s a program that bounces around tonally and narratively, never feeling like its head is in the right place to know where it wants to go.