Stargate Universe : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Oct 2, 2009
Season #: 1, 2
5.9

1. Dec 1, 2010
    I was so surprised to read all the negative reviews about SGU. I agree that the first season was very slow to take off and somewhat depressing but it has definitely picked up in season 2. Of all the Stargate shows I think this is the best one yet. SG1 had some memorable episodes but near the 10th season I thought it got ridiculous and corny. SGA was garbage - reminiscent of Babylon5.I was so surprised to read all the negative reviews about SGU. I agree that the first season was very slow to take off and somewhat depressing but it has definitely picked up in season 2. Of all the Stargate shows I think this is the best one yet. SG1 had some memorable episodes but near the 10th season I thought it got ridiculous and corny. SGA was garbage - reminiscent of Babylon5. I'm tired of StarTrek wannabe utopias. I agree that SGU is a lot like BSG but you can't really compare the two other than to say it's a similar dark dramatic style. Although I have my opinions about the whole SG franchise, I really have only ever watched the movie, and even though I missed out on a lot of the backstory of SGU, I still find it to be a gripping premise. I think if you hold out until Season 2 you won't be disappointed. It's really one of the best written, most stylishly creative sci-fi shows I've seen in years. It's my favorite show right now on TV. Expand
  2. Dec 3, 2010
    The current score is really unfair for a show that's growing very well and has become very good indeed.
    I do agree that it started a little boring, and too much of a soap opera. The 'Chloe' character was really boring at start, to be honest (but that has somewhat changed - thanks to the writing).
    But the 'other side' of this show, the difficulty of their situation, the non-English speaking aliens, the bad temper of the team under the circumstances... is just much more realistic than SG-1 or SG atlantis ever was. And don't let me start on the acting: while this has some not so good actors, it does not compare to the first seasons of SG-1 or with SG Atlantis (the actors that performed Teyla Emmagan and Ronon Dex were just lousy).

There's no doubt that the series copied concepts from BSG, and therefore it doesn't deserve a 10.
    But season 2 is really, really good. There is action, there is suspense, there is science fiction (just as much, if not more, than in SG-1 - and definitely more realistic). I am currently watching SG-1 again, and it is incredible how naive it all is.

Real life is not perfect, and this show entertains because it presents believable characters in unthinkable situations.
  3. Daniell
    Oct 8, 2009
    Very promising series ! Very good start ! Just hope they'll not drop to lousy scenarios and bizarre creatures with lousy costumes. If they focus more on the characters, keep the suspense, write intriguing stories it could turn out to be a very good show.
  4. JanetG.
    Oct 6, 2009
    This show is GREAT! Edge of my seat watching. Loved the old SG1 and SGA, but the show has to progress. Eli, Young and Rush are awesome, taking an established fanbase on another arc.
  5. RobbieC
    Nov 1, 2009
    It is a new direction, slower in pace but still exciting in a different way. It is far more stimulating mentally then SGA or SG1. However only time will tell if stargate universe will be able to acheive the same heights of its predecessors.
  6. jamesj
    Nov 22, 2009
    It takes an old franchise and does something new with it. Last couple of programs have been very good. It's a "B", and at times a B+.. And that's more than good enough for me...
  7. StevenN
    Oct 14, 2009
    A new twist to the SG storyline. Gotta get used to that but it is a welcome addition. Ep 1/2 was a tad too much BSG, but ep 3 was SG style all the way. Great show!
  8. TauQ
    Oct 15, 2009
    It has potential, a bit of a weak start, but SG-1 had a weak start too, too early to make a call.
  9. AlexT.
    Oct 17, 2009
    I wasn't too impressed after the first episode, but after having watched the next two episodes, I'm intrigued. I'm not really digging the Battlestar Galactica feel (simply because BSG BLOWS), but I'm hoping that with some humor and character development, that this show can become classic just like the rest of its counterparts. Give it time, don't get too pissed I wasn't too impressed after the first episode, but after having watched the next two episodes, I'm intrigued. I'm not really digging the Battlestar Galactica feel (simply because BSG BLOWS), but I'm hoping that with some humor and character development, that this show can become classic just like the rest of its counterparts. Give it time, don't get too pissed off yet people, we'll have to wait and see how this one turns out. If it doesn't pull people in, I doubt they'll give it a second or third season because you know this one is costing a ton of money to produce. Expand
  10. GabrielaA.
    Oct 17, 2009
    It's perfect! After SGA I was very sceptical... common, after 12 years of Stargate what can be new? The answer is: almost everything! Congrats!
  11. bryanb
    Dec 18, 2009
    I fine this show very interesting and always look forward to watching it
  12. Scott-LeeN
    Oct 31, 2009
    This show needs abit of a boost as it seems to be very slow but have a feeling that this is leading to an explosive finish to the 1st season.
  13. Oct 1, 2010
    Here's universe. Same feel as Battlestar Galactica, the acting is excellent (ignore the bad reviews) and despite what anyone says, i've seen Caprica and universe is much much less dramatic. That said, it is intense. It's about a group of people who are entirely isolated in an unknown part of the universe on a ship they can't control with no way to get home. Of course that's going to beHere's universe. Same feel as Battlestar Galactica, the acting is excellent (ignore the bad reviews) and despite what anyone says, i've seen Caprica and universe is much much less dramatic. That said, it is intense. It's about a group of people who are entirely isolated in an unknown part of the universe on a ship they can't control with no way to get home. Of course that's going to be intense. Now I've seen all of the stargate movies, and all of sg1. The reason this show gets called dramatic is because the previous shows weren't serious at all. The whole time they kept it light and funny. The best way I can describe what they've done with the show is this: Stargate Universe is this generations stargate. Fans that have been there from the beginning may not like the change but the fact is universe is the show that will keep the stargate franchise alive. That said, if you don't like the show, don't watch it. There's no need to ruin it for those of us with good taste. Collapse
  14. Oct 2, 2010
    Just a few points about the show:

Universe is a much more serious show than Atlantis and the majority of SG-1. If your looking for the same style as those, you will be disappointed. The Character development is amazing, and creates a lot of empathy with the main characters. There inst nearly as much filler as the previous 2 series. The drama involved is comparable to a mini-series, or
    Just a few points about the show:

There inst nearly as much filler as the previous 2 series. The drama involved is comparable to a mini-series, or something like Lost, and yes it is a little soapy on occasion, but in a good way.

If you watch a few episodes, and enjoy nail-biting moments, you will not be able to stop watching. Guaranteed.
  15. Oct 11, 2010
    I've enjoyed SG:U so far but there were a couple of times I wasn't bothered about still watching it. Season 2 has started off ok but something needs to happen (like turning the lights on in the freaking hallways!!!). The show doesn't seem to be capitalising on the greatness and mystery of the ship and I fear that if they wait too long people will turn off.
  16. Oct 23, 2010
    I enjoy the show. The acting is fine, the scenarios are plausible (for Sci-Fi). The idea of using older Ancient technology after the SG-1 and SG-Atlantis time-line is much better than a prequel series.
    But please - get rid of the folk music! It sounds like the producer's kids have been practicing in the garage, and somebody asked if their latest home-spun ballad could be used in the show. Those mournful ballads ruin the show for me. Leave the music to the radio stations! I'm rating it at 6, but without the music I'd have given it an 8.
  17. MikeD
    Jan 18, 2010
    Dr. Rush and Eli Wallace are great characters and the episodes are actually connected in some way, unlike the random jumping around of SG-1 and SG-A. It shows promise but needs to take a step back from being a soap.
  18. Sep 30, 2010
    This ticks all the boxes for me, i like sci-fi so may be a bit biast, but its definetly got plenty in the story line to go. People are moaning its not got enough to it, but its only just finished season 1, its just warming up!!!
  19. LesF.
    Oct 6, 2009
    Best of the three Stargate premieres to me. I'd still put it below the Battlestar miniseries, but I think the show has the potential to be better than BSG, as that show's quality went down hill as it went on from it's great beginnings. Some of the cast members were underused, but I expect that to be rectified in the upcoming episodes, which I will happily stick around to see.
  20. TimO
    Oct 17, 2009
    Yes this show has some similarities with BSG (camera angles are similar, characters are not black or white), but this series has a different pull, instead of fighting cyborgs or aliens across the universe, where faced with a broken down BSG looking ship thats failing as the people are on it. Instead of jump to new stargate, solve the problems of the beleigered inhabitants, and jump back; Yes this show has some similarities with BSG (camera angles are similar, characters are not black or white), but this series has a different pull, instead of fighting cyborgs or aliens across the universe, where faced with a broken down BSG looking ship thats failing as the people are on it. Instead of jump to new stargate, solve the problems of the beleigered inhabitants, and jump back; we are presented with a group of completely dissimilar individuals who all are completely stuck on a ship they know nothing about, with no way to get off. Ity's a different premise that is refreshing and combines several good ideas from different shows into a great idea. I especially like the keno recordings and the visits through the Ancient stones which both give you a feeling for the individuals history and their personalities. Expand
  21. ColinB
    Oct 18, 2009
    A superb new series. I loved Atlantis and this looks like it's setting up to be just as quality. I do agree to an extent with some of the people saying it hasn't quite come together yet, but then they are thrust onto an alien spaceship - so it's bound not to be as solid as the others in the SG series just yet. I love the atmosphere of it and particularly Robert Carlyles A superb new series. I loved Atlantis and this looks like it's setting up to be just as quality. I do agree to an extent with some of the people saying it hasn't quite come together yet, but then they are thrust onto an alien spaceship - so it's bound not to be as solid as the others in the SG series just yet. I love the atmosphere of it and particularly Robert Carlyles character - great acting. I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy this one immensely. Expand
  22. LeventeS.
    Oct 3, 2009
    Well, this wasn't that huge impact, lets hope it will get better! The characters are interesting, the plot is something like ST Voyager, but lets hope!
  23. TomenT.
    Oct 5, 2009
    The Stargate Universe seems to be a new experiment. It has the seriousness of BSG, but does not seem to be as dark. One of the strengths f the stargate franchise was the interesting characters. Yet so far no character emerged as interesting as in the previous SGs. It will be a wait and see game. Otherwise the pilot was good. Good acting, very good special effects and interesting story line.
  24. SteveW
    Oct 6, 2009
    I enjoyed the pilot, and the fact that Sci-Fi can be written in a more serious light. Let's see what happens in the next few episodes, but the pilot was an interesting success.
  25. OliverO.
    Feb 2, 2010
    Granted, it is not as good as SG-1 and Atlantas, but still a very solid show that is worth watching.
  26. jeremybrown
    Nov 2, 2009
    If you are looking for a continuation of SGA then you may be disappointed by SGU. However, if you are interested in characters who take several episodes or even seasons to get a bead on you'll like it. Just like Lost and BSG all of the characters are flawed and why will only be revealed in time.
  27. GaryW
    Nov 24, 2009
    Stargate Universe is not a simple retread of Stargate: SG-1 or Sargate Atlantis which is exactly why I love SGU. It's edgy, it's stressed
  28. EnriD
    Nov 20, 2009
    Fanboys, put your toys back in the cot. Science fiction has been in dire need of a makeover since its days as the exclusive territory of geeks with fake rubber ears and pipped vests. It is only now, with deep emotional storytelling and clever humour such as seen in SGU that Sci-fi starts to appeal to the masses. Atlantis failed because it didn't take the premise seriously. It relied Fanboys, put your toys back in the cot. Science fiction has been in dire need of a makeover since its days as the exclusive territory of geeks with fake rubber ears and pipped vests. It is only now, with deep emotional storytelling and clever humour such as seen in SGU that Sci-fi starts to appeal to the masses. Atlantis failed because it didn't take the premise seriously. It relied too much on the tried and tested and sadly exhausted concept of a semi-heroic group who at the end of the day always overcome the challenge of the single-episode plot. But wait! What is this? A shining new beacon of hope on the horizon? A sci-fi series not catering for a stagnating minority? Yes, sci-fi is changing and sometimes change is as good as it is innevitable. Who am I to make such claims? Let's just say I once wore those fake rubber ears. Expand
  29. CourtneyF
    Dec 2, 2009
    When I heard this was going to be set on a ship, I sort of groaned and thought it was going to be another SG:Atlantis. Don't get me wrong, Atlantis wasn't that bad, but what really made me fall in love with the SG franchise was the realism. The early seasons of SG-1 featured a lot more "planet-based" plots. Yes, there were over-the-top aliens and plenty of tech and everything, When I heard this was going to be set on a ship, I sort of groaned and thought it was going to be another SG:Atlantis. Don't get me wrong, Atlantis wasn't that bad, but what really made me fall in love with the SG franchise was the realism. The early seasons of SG-1 featured a lot more "planet-based" plots. Yes, there were over-the-top aliens and plenty of tech and everything, but it was still a team exploring a world. The later seasons and then Atlantis after it seemed to always be on a spaceship, or it always came down to Rodney figuring out a solution just in time on his laptop. Well now SG:U is realistic in a whole different way: the characters. They have multi-dimensional personalities and there is real drama there. I love the Telford/Scott conflict, the love triangle between Eli, Chloe, and Lt. Scott, and simply the characters of Dr. Rush and Greer. I also rolled my eyes when I saw a quick description of the main characters. "Oh of course there's the brilliant nerd, oh of course there's the strong, silent outsider with issues, etc." I mean I thought those were carbon copies of Rodney McKay and Teal'c/Ronon Dex right there for example. Nothing seemed to be all that original. But I'm happy to say they are much deeper than they appeared. The one thing I think they need to watch is not to turn up the comic relief quite so much. For the most part it's great; I love the references Eli makes. But it shouldn't be like every single scene he's in he's constantly trying to crack jokes. Anyway, to sum up: great show, and I'm going to keep watching. Expand
  30. eliasc
    Oct 20, 2009
    SGU will take time to find an audience but it just might do it. SGU takes the SG franchise in a new direction. This is often a dangerous move because it tends to alienate the fan base and SGU seems to be taking baby steps instead of going full bore with a total re-imagining of the SG series. But I like what I see so far and will keep with it. SGU is a sort of BSG set in the Star Gate SGU will take time to find an audience but it just might do it. SGU takes the SG franchise in a new direction. This is often a dangerous move because it tends to alienate the fan base and SGU seems to be taking baby steps instead of going full bore with a total re-imagining of the SG series. But I like what I see so far and will keep with it. SGU is a sort of BSG set in the Star Gate universe. Characters are troubled, they make bad decisions, they argue, they bicker. The ship, like Battlestar Galactica, is dark and dismal and constantly in threat of falling apart. The humans try desperately to survive and don't seem to understand that the ship, like all Ancient SG ships, knows better how to survive than its human stowaways. Unlike the other SG series, the main character's personal flaws are emphasized and we learn more about these people in a few short episodes then we every did in a year of the previous series. SGU has a lot of potential. I have always felt that the SG series should have been terminated long ago. This new take on the Stargate universe may be worth the viewing. We will know soon enough. Will the producers continue to emphasis human conflict and survival, or will we once again retreat into the more fan popular villain of the week? Expand
  31. JoelF.
    Oct 5, 2009
    A promising start - grounded in the familiar, but different enough to be interesting.
  32. MikeP
    Oct 7, 2009
    A good, solid start for a series that promises to take the Stargate concept in a completely different direction. Not jaw dropping like the BSG mini-series was perhaps, but still pefectly good enough.
  33. JulieB
    Nov 1, 2009
    Very few complaints so far. Writing and acting are top-notch.
  34. JakeO
    Oct 10, 2009
    A great start, with potential to be one of the greatest Sci-Fi television shows of all time. With its Stargate lore, and a rich cast of characters we can relate to, all that's left is to mystify us on the journey ahead.
  35. SamC
    Nov 30, 2009
    At first I was skeptical, didn't think I'd like SGU, but it's grown on me so much that I can hardly wait each week for the next episode.
  36. JaL
    Oct 13, 2009
    This show is incredible. It looks like BSG and feels like SG-1. For those complaining "Atlantis was cancelled for this?" you need to brush up on your facts before you call yourselves fans. Atlantis was being cancelled, with or without this show. They are mutually exclusive.
  37. StevenH
    Nov 3, 2009
    I think SGU is the right direction for SG. The other shows were too corny. I like the realism this brings to the franchise.
  38. BuzzT
    Oct 15, 2009
    It's a more grown up version of Stargate. Not as much action, but definitely a higher dramaturgic level. Like it!
  39. AndrewS
    Oct 17, 2009
    Another incarnation of the Stargate narrative with plenty of room in which to impress us. I look forward to see what they come up with.
  40. GlynnF
    Oct 17, 2009
    Good show with a good premise and group of actors/characters. Can't for the life of me figure out how people are comparing this to lost it's completely different through the fact that the know where they are just not where they're going. More comparable to Sliders than anything else. Admittedly the first planet was a flop but they probably blew their pilot budget on the Good show with a good premise and group of actors/characters. Can't for the life of me figure out how people are comparing this to lost it's completely different through the fact that the know where they are just not where they're going. More comparable to Sliders than anything else. Admittedly the first planet was a flop but they probably blew their pilot budget on the ship and special effects in the first two parts of the show. So here's hoping for better planets in the coming episodes. Expand
  41. RobertK
    Oct 18, 2009
    I think this could be the best stargate series yet. I've loved every minute of it so far.
  42. PauloC
    Oct 24, 2009
    I have been a fan of all the Stargate series. And I insist all the fans give this series some credit stop comparing it to BSG. On its own it has enormous potential and I am certainly enjoying every episode! Great Work!
  43. LorreceJ.
    Oct 3, 2009
    The first episode seemed a bit predictable and stereotypical in terms of characters and plot points. However, I like Robert Carlyle and the dude playing Eli is funny, so I'll keep watching.
  44. NatalieS
    Oct 3, 2009
    I liked it! And you can tell it'll keep getting better as they find the characters. I haven't had anything to watch on Fridays since they canceled Terminator. Thank you, Stargate!
  45. MikeB
    Oct 3, 2009
    While the premise of the series is well trodden, even by the previous entry in the series, SGU looks to deliver on the promises Atlantis could never fill. Even while the setting has been retooled to be darker and grittier, this still fells like a Stargate.
  46. ChristopherH.
    Oct 3, 2009
    I'm sure there'll be people who dislike this prgram initially because, "it's not like any of the others". But that's exactly why I like it. I'm also sure that people will dislike this program initially because, "it's too much like Battlestar Gallactica". And this is where I disagree. I don't think it's a copy of the re-imagined BSG at all, but a I'm sure there'll be people who dislike this prgram initially because, "it's not like any of the others". But that's exactly why I like it. I'm also sure that people will dislike this program initially because, "it's too much like Battlestar Gallactica". And this is where I disagree. I don't think it's a copy of the re-imagined BSG at all, but a move to more reality based, speculative science fiction. Creepy crawlies and folks trading quips with stuff etched over their faces is fun, but what's wrong with some good ole fashioned drama out in space? Nothing, I hope.. Expand
  47. Nikhil
    Oct 3, 2009
    Quite Good. Wish the Dr. Rush character wasn't quite as sappy but Robert Carlyle can make bad writing look good. It looks like it has an interesting cast of characters.
  48. CalebD.
    Oct 4, 2009
    Good, not Great. I will continue to watch.
  49. DavidW
    Oct 7, 2009
    Reminded me of BSG, love the look of the show - much more dramatic than the previous SG shows. Robert Carlyle is on great form as Chase!
  50. LewisC
    Nov 18, 2009
    I loved SG1, but never really got into Atlantis as I really just viewed it as an improvement or much of a variation on the original show. Saying that, SGU takes things to another level with a new perspective on the whole theme of the show. Characters are brilliant and stories are alot more interesting than in SGA!
  51. Nov 21, 2010
    I've been a fan of Stargate since the very series with Richard Dean Anderson, Stargate SG-1. Now with the newest installment in the series, I had to see if it's a worthy successor to the Stargate franchise.

THE POSITIVE: - Incredible acting - A new and interesting situation/setting gives the creations tons of possibilities of creating a thriving and exciting story. - Appearances by former

THE POSITIVE:
    - Incredible acting
    - Appearances by former Stargate actors give it that 'special' touch.
    - Excellent music and sound
    - A Story that not only focusses on combat or exploration, but also that makes you care more.. and get to know the characters.

THE NEGATIVE:
    - Haven't seen any so far.

CLOSING COMMENTS:
    Stargate: Universe is a worthy successor to the stargate franchise. After watching the first season... you'll be begging for more. If you were a fan of the previous series, and you feel at home in the Stargate universe, than I'd 100% recommend you to watch this series.
  52. Nov 3, 2010
    i was never a fan of the stargate series, it just wasnt for me. but i saw universe and was like, i will watch the pilot atleast. the pilot and every episode since then has been epic. all the characters are cool, the scifi part is awesome. every episode something brings drama and suspense, and u wonder what will happen next. and just as everything is good for now and the episode is over youi was never a fan of the stargate series, it just wasnt for me. but i saw universe and was like, i will watch the pilot atleast. the pilot and every episode since then has been epic. all the characters are cool, the scifi part is awesome. every episode something brings drama and suspense, and u wonder what will happen next. and just as everything is good for now and the episode is over you see a preview for next week which looks 2x as crazy awesome dramatic suspence epicness then the episode u just finished. it is a series that has won over me from episode 1, and i truly recommend watching from the begining. Expand
  53. Oct 27, 2010
    I have to say out of all the Stargate series â
  54. Nov 15, 2010
    I really like Stargate Universe because of its difference to SG1 and SG Atlantis. SGU's strong point is its gritty reality, dark circumstances, and human fallibility. Comparing this to the other stargate is a grave mistake, its not supposed to be an action filled hour with no strings attached. I rather see it as quite similar to ABC's Lost. This show is about average people dealing withI really like Stargate Universe because of its difference to SG1 and SG Atlantis. SGU's strong point is its gritty reality, dark circumstances, and human fallibility. Comparing this to the other stargate is a grave mistake, its not supposed to be an action filled hour with no strings attached. I rather see it as quite similar to ABC's Lost. This show is about average people dealing with extraordinary events. There is a perfect amount of humour, drama, and action too keep you entertained, but not too much to make you forget about their dire circumstances. Over all this show has more to say than just average sci-fi adventure and if you let be what it is meant to be (not a copy of SG1 and Atlantis) then it shines. Expand
  55. Mar 9, 2011
    Having been a fan of SG1 and SGA (I got addicted and watch finish both series in a year), i was mildly disappointed by SGU due to the lack of use of stargate, but the gritty feel and the lovely CGI sort of filled up for the need of exploration. There's always mystery on board the ship, and it was sufficient for several episodes without off world missions.
    Despite a slow first season, i am
    Despite a slow first season, i am really geared up in season 2 by the more fast-paced actions.
  56. Apr 4, 2011
    Stargate Universe is hands down my favorite of the Stargate series. It is a high quality sci-fi drama without the standard cheese that so often plagues these types of shows. This program gives the feeling of real peril in a surreal setting. It has a darker more gritty atmosphere akin to the Battlestar series. Removing this show after only 3 great seasons is a real disservice to those of usStargate Universe is hands down my favorite of the Stargate series. It is a high quality sci-fi drama without the standard cheese that so often plagues these types of shows. This program gives the feeling of real peril in a surreal setting. It has a darker more gritty atmosphere akin to the Battlestar series. Removing this show after only 3 great seasons is a real disservice to those of us out there that hope daily for the staying power of real science fiction TV minus the silly costumes and cheesy dialogue. It is clear the Syfy network is where good shows go to die. Stargate Universe lends itself well to what science fiction television could be; great drama, real moral dilemmas, fantastic characters and a mysterious ship to get lost in. In short, SGU is a fantastic show for those who facepalm the old ideals of sci-fi tv being wacky effects, uninteresting characters and laughable dialogue. If like me, you're a science fiction fan looking for a more gritty real space drama, with believable characters, subtle effects, mystery and intrigue, Stargate Universe fills that void. Expand
  57. Apr 25, 2011
    Too bad no one gave it a chance. The episodes are getting better, but maybe the first 1 1/2 season of character development was too much for some people.
  58. Jun 14, 2011
    The first season has a big long nothin'-much-happenin' period, and the communication stones are overused, but overall it's a great show. I much prefer the more serious tone of SGU and the BSG remake to other shows in the SG franchise.

Add to that the amount of stuff going on in the 2nd season and you're in for a corker.
  59. May 6, 2011
    The series started off a little slow, and soap-opera like, but season two has set the show on track to follow a story-line similar in style to previous incarnations of the Stargate franchise. It's a real shame that the SyFy is risking its identity by not renewing the series. It has been showing a lot of promise, and has a huge fan-base. It's my personal favorite out of all of the StargateThe series started off a little slow, and soap-opera like, but season two has set the show on track to follow a story-line similar in style to previous incarnations of the Stargate franchise. It's a real shame that the SyFy is risking its identity by not renewing the series. It has been showing a lot of promise, and has a huge fan-base. It's my personal favorite out of all of the Stargate series, it's simply more realistic. Expand
  60. May 10, 2011
    Took a bit to get into it's grove (good half of the first season), but once it hit it's stride, been quite good- to the point where it's one of the few shows I watch despite lacking cable.

Waste it's been cancelled...
  61. May 11, 2011
    Just loved it, shame it's ended when it finally became excellent... :-(
    Especially liked the second season when they cut the boring cr*p and went on with the story.
  62. May 12, 2011
    A very, very good sci-fi show - Season 1 is as good a show as any. Very different to the other Stargates (which are basically cartoonish and I'm not personally a big fan of). SG-U has taken the same 'universe' including some of the same characters (albeit largely in cameos) and crafted an utterly plausible action-drama (exceptionally realistic at least by sf standards). Brilliantly acted -A very, very good sci-fi show - Season 1 is as good a show as any. Very different to the other Stargates (which are basically cartoonish and I'm not personally a big fan of). SG-U has taken the same 'universe' including some of the same characters (albeit largely in cameos) and crafted an utterly plausible action-drama (exceptionally realistic at least by sf standards). Brilliantly acted - Robert Carlyle as always is simply superb but the other actors do a very good job keeping up. The absence of eye-rolling stupidity that seems to plague characters of other scifis is unbelievably refreshing. Will be interesting to see where the plot goes (or even if there is one and it doesn't simply drift off into meaningless like BSG) but right now it's theirs to lose. Expand
  63. May 24, 2013
    I think Stargate Universe is the best Stargate show ever! Sometimes the plot was a little repetitive, for example the quantity of 'time travels'. However, it wasn't too repetitive, each episode had a contribution to the history. Moreover, each character had your own psychological evolution in the series.

To sum up, I loved this series! I'd like SyFi bring it back!
  64. Apr 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Plot overview:

a group of civilians and military personnel step through the stargate after dialing the ninth chevron [each stargate works with a dial containing nine symbols called chevrons and thirty-six constellation pictures] and arrive somewhere they were not supposed to go. The plot deals with the way these people cope with their situation and how it affects them. This spin-off stands away from the original plot paradigm of the series it focuses character development rather than the creation and usage of numerous contraptions typical of the science fiction genre.

FULL REVIEW:

I'm a true sci-fi fan, I've been watching science fiction for 23 of my 27 years of life and that gives me enough authority to say that, for the moment, Stargate Universe is the best North-American Sci-Fi show around. The reason is very simple: IT ISN'T STUPID. Do not get me wrong; SG1 and Atlantis were great (Atlantis not so great, they shouldn't have killed Weir since she was the only true and believable human-being in that expedition); SG1 was cool but it depleted itself and they gave too litle importance to the Ori arc which should have been the main reason for Atlantis' existence. SGU doesn't deal with sides (Goa'uld vs Tauri; Wraith vs Tauri, Ori vs Tauri); it's like populars vs losers in high school, ABSOLUTELY CHILDISH. This show deals with real people problems and adults with problems; there aren't any last-moment farfetched solutions to any of the inconveniences the crew finds, if they can't fix it, they just don't as it is in real life; GATE-BUSTER NUKES don't have any place here; they don't shoot like crazy and they don't go around blowing things up as if they had the same amount of infinite ammo that Schwarzenegger and Stallone had in any of their pointless flicks. And finally, we get to know how people in the stargate universe reproduce; they don't come out of cabbages as I supposed, they do "Fornication Under the Command of the King" like we do... SURPRISE, they posses and use their bananas and muffins too!!! I do think at first, they over-emphasized coital interaction between "the hottest" characters but apparently, writers have cooled down the script a bit [except for the body swiping episode though I don't know for how long].

One thing I really like about this show is the main cast [except for cute soldier boy], they really know how to bring to life their characters: Robert Carlyle and Alaina Huffman are amazing, they blew my mind in the pilot [Rush's reaction to see everyone's eating like animals in the base's mess hall and Johansen's disappointment when failed to resuscitate her bleeding comrade... superb and I've only seen such performance level in Sci-Fi from Mary Macdowell and E J Olmos from Galactica; Luis Ferreira plays the first believable Sci-Fi terrestrian army officer I have ever seen, I got really surprised by him as well as by David Blue, his Eli is a plausible nerd, both characters are really well played... and this SHOW is ABOUT CHARACTERS, immensely small human beings placed in a overwhelming situation that is far superior to their own capabilities: the Stargate is just the pretext to have them put in this place and I'm glad because we have already had 16 years of space cowboys and tin soldiers, It's time we, Gate Nerds, grew up.
  65. Jan 12, 2014
    This show had a lot of potential. It's a shame it was never given the chance to show how good it really was.
    -----------------------------------------
  66. Sep 14, 2013
    this is a show you really have to be patient with, it's pretty terrible in the first season but by the end of its run had really rounded into form and was quite a good show. Even Eli, the "most annoying character ever created" according to my ex who watched this with me all the time, became bearable by the end. Good fun, good sci fi, but try and be patient as the creators and cast settlethis is a show you really have to be patient with, it's pretty terrible in the first season but by the end of its run had really rounded into form and was quite a good show. Even Eli, the "most annoying character ever created" according to my ex who watched this with me all the time, became bearable by the end. Good fun, good sci fi, but try and be patient as the creators and cast settle into the series, its worth it. Expand

Stories aren't particularly dense or surprising, and some of the conflict feels quite contrived
  2. Hopefully the story itself, which finds a band of alien-attack victims jumping blindly through a Stargate and landing on a mysterious spaceship billions of light years from Earth, will eventually transcend this premiere's BSG-lite-ness.
  3. With 19 episodes remaining in this season, there's plenty of time for all this drama to intensify and the characters to sort themselves out as good and not-so-good.