Stephen King's It : Season 1

• Network: ABC
  • Series Premiere Date: Nov 18, 1990
8.1

1. May 25, 2013
    Originally aired as a two-part television movie in the early 90's 'I't has since been re-edited into a three hour movie. Based on the novel by Stephen King 'It' opens in Maine where a young girl is murdered by a malevolent force that takes the form of a clown known as Pennywise. Whilst at the scene, Mike, a resident of the town notices a picture, a picture of his friends brother, killed 30Originally aired as a two-part television movie in the early 90's 'I't has since been re-edited into a three hour movie. Based on the novel by Stephen King 'It' opens in Maine where a young girl is murdered by a malevolent force that takes the form of a clown known as Pennywise. Whilst at the scene, Mike, a resident of the town notices a picture, a picture of his friends brother, killed 30 years ago. Having originally put a stop the clown's murderous spree as children he soon realises that he must reunite with his friends, a group who called themselves "the losers club", in order to defeat Pennywise once and for all.

Let me say now that I am a huge fan of Stephen King's novels but will always try to judge any movie taken from his work on its own merits. Condensing a book well in excess of 1000 pages into 180 minutes was never going to be an easy task and cuts have obviously been made. The real problem however is that with some less than stellar dialogue, a few uneven performances and any scenes of violence taking place off screen the movies low budget TV origins are painfully obvious throughout. As a result, despite a memorable performance from Tim Curry as Pennywise, It lacks the creepy atmosphere created by King’s book and while Pennywise may inspire nightmares for younger viewers very little in the movie is actually scary.

It’s not all bad of course. Underneath it all there is a good tale and it certainly makes for a watchable three hours but if you want the full story I suggest you read the book instead (or listen to the unabridged audiobook that is now available).
  2. Jan 16, 2014
    I remember reading the original novel, and it was really, really good. It was well over a thousand pages, one of the few epics of the horror genre. However, when I saw the television show, I was... less than pleased. The show ran for 189 minutes, just over three hours, and so it's to be expected that they couldn't condense the entire book into those three hours. I can also understand thatI remember reading the original novel, and it was really, really good. It was well over a thousand pages, one of the few epics of the horror genre. However, when I saw the television show, I was... less than pleased. The show ran for 189 minutes, just over three hours, and so it's to be expected that they couldn't condense the entire book into those three hours. I can also understand that they were unable to make a television series out of the novel.

However, the performances could be better. The story feels jumbled and disjointed, and it feels like they just took the main plot elements and threw them in. The acting and effects are cheesy and, since it's a television movie, they were unable to throw in the more violent aspects of what was an extremely violent novel. However, this film does have one saving grace, and that's Tim Curry as Pennywise the Dancing Clown. He pulls of something that very few horror movie actors have in recent times, or ever have. Pennywise is actually freaking terrifying.

However, this film has a jumbled and abrupt plot, silly and cheesy dialogue and effects and extremely average acting (mostly), so it's not as brilliant as I would have hoped.
  3. Jul 17, 2016
    Tim Curry gives life to one of the most scary characters of the literature and cinematography history ever. But the define the direction of Tommy Lee Wallace destroys the main theme of the novel, changing completely the spirit of the scary stunts and narrations of the lord-of-the-fear, Stephen King.

There are no critic reviews yet.