4.5

Mar 5, 2013
    The entire Bible itself, is a book that cannot be covered in the realm of a medium. There will be omissions and changes made to have a more Hollywood type of a plot. This series is produced by The History Channel, and will (by no doubt) try to "Americanize" it by adding more drama and forced conflict to the already well written story. It appears that they have spent more time on theirThe entire Bible itself, is a book that cannot be covered in the realm of a medium. There will be omissions and changes made to have a more Hollywood type of a plot. This series is produced by The History Channel, and will (by no doubt) try to "Americanize" it by adding more drama and forced conflict to the already well written story. It appears that they have spent more time on their other new series "Vikings", than have spent on the old and new testaments. It's a pity to say, I would rather watch a show on Vikings, than I would on the Bible. Shame. Expand
  2. Apr 4, 2013
    I will preface this by saying I am Catholic and very religious...... The negative reviews are all from Christian haters so ignore them. But that is not to say that because I disagree with their life choices that I automatically think this series is fantastic... I think my main problem is that it is simply too short and takes waaay too many shortcuts and adds too much in the name of makingI will preface this by saying I am Catholic and very religious...... The negative reviews are all from Christian haters so ignore them. But that is not to say that because I disagree with their life choices that I automatically think this series is fantastic... I think my main problem is that it is simply too short and takes waaay too many shortcuts and adds too much in the name of making it "more entertaining". It's just that we all know the stories pretty well from the old to the new testament (even you non-religious people) and so when something is removed it is blatantly obvious. The additions to add the cinematic element do not add to the story but instead take away from the experience since we all know many of the scenes were not described in the book. In my opinion the best way to do a show about the Bible is to be as specific/accurate as possible without adding/removing things. Heck it took Mel Gibson 3+ hours for the passion alone and this series does that all before a commercial break... Honestly, it would take a hundred or more 1 hour episodes to do it right. I hope someone sees the success of this low quality show and decides to make a truly great one. Expand

There's no character work here, no interesting reinterpretations of a classic text, no inspired acting. Just cardboard characters surrounded by CGI frippery.
  2. Reviewed by: Robert Lloyd
    Mar 4, 2013
    The Bible according to Burnett and Downey is a handsome and generally expensive-looking production, but it is also flat and often tedious, even when it tends to the hysterical, and as hard as the Hans Zimmer soundtrack strains to keep you on the edge of your sofa.
  3. Reviewed by: Glenn Garvin
    Mar 4, 2013
    With the pace of a music video, the characterizations of a comic book and the political-correctness quotient of a Berkeley vegetarian commune this production makes Cecil B. DeMille look like a sober theologian.