6.6

1. May 3, 2013
    I'm looking foward to seeing where they take this thing. Here's to hoping that Kal gets a little more involved, socially, in the teams and how they interact with one another. I want him to stir the pot act as an instigator, and not just the typical host. But I applaud the project for having the guts to reward Merit and not just social deviousness.
  2. May 2, 2013
    Finally a reality show that doesn't make you want to break your television (a la kardashians & honey booboo). It was awesome watching this with my kids and seeing how interested they were in finding an answer to the challenge. Next week's challenge looks even more intriguing than this last one. Discovery Channel nailed it with Big Brain. Kudos to the creators for giving our young people role models instead of embarrassments (a la kardashians & honey booboo)... Expand
  3. May 2, 2013
    Very cool show. Entertaining, smart, engaging, and just plain fun. It is refreshing to see an argument based on intellect instead of stupidity. I'm proud to say that I watched Big Brain and will continue to do so for years! So much junk is on TV nowadays. Kal and the gang are great as well. I can't wait for next week's challenge.
  4. May 2, 2013
    I have to say, I'm super-impressed by the first episode of this show, and I'm absolutely going to keep watching. Kal Penn is so far superior to the typical reality host these days. I'm SO tired of Survivor, The Apprentice, and all the rest of these played-out series that really have no positive outcomes other than pissing people off. It's awesome to see people with real smarts, using their smarts to actually build things and get things done. Inspires confidence in what we can do as a country. Expand
  5. May 3, 2013
    If you have kids and want them to be inspired to think out of the box, this is your show. Yes it's another competition show but it's levels above in quality. No overly tan, slutty, dumb, worthless people battling it out to be king of stupidity. It's just smart people competing to solve tough challenges and end up with a job at a bad-ass company... enough said
  6. May 10, 2013
    Too much drama, gossip, backstabbing, not enough engineering. It's somewhere between Jersey Shore and Junkyard Wars. Can't we have an honest competition without all the interpersonal drama?
  7. May 11, 2013
    I love the idea of this show, however it does appear to be based on the common reality show basis i.e. keep the players who are the most dramatic and axe the ones that are too weak to be on television. I would also like to see the equations that they use to formulate the ideas, both from the producers of the challenges and the teams.
    My other concern is that in the real world there is
    time for testing. Science usually involves testing, and more testing. It is because the show eliminates that aspect that I have mixed reviews. Collapse
  8. May 3, 2013
    I really enjoyed the first hour of this competition. As others have said, it's refreshing to see very smart people solving very practical problems. Sure, there's a social aspect to it, but I find it cool to see how these groups attack situations. And a word on Kal Penn. I thought he would ham it up, Kumar-style, but I appreciate his playing it straight and taking it seriously.
  9. Ndi
    May 3, 2013
    As a non-American, I find the show pretty good, but near unwatchable. Every 5 second there is a cut to everyone gossiping and offering opinions on stuff they don't know work or not. It's unbearable, 5 seconds build, 5 seconds some woman talks about her feelings.

I agree it's a cut above other reality shows, but a better format would be even better. You don't see the Mythbusters going in
    a booth to badmouth each other and they don't interrupt the experiments to show me what the camera guy thinks. So many shows do this, build ideas, and they are all watchable.

I have an attention span, no need to keep me interested. I didn't even see the math, I had to pause. But there are 5 minutes of a 3D animation of rails. I know how rails work.

Also, since when is 120 IQ "big brain"? Again with the token cast? Bring me 6 contestants, and one woman, one back dude, one quirky nerd and one presentable jock.
  10. May 2, 2013
    I just heard about the big brain theory from a friend this week and was glad I did. I've heard comparisons to other "competition" or "reality" shows but this is SO MUCH BETTER. The overall concept is so cool. The challenges seem to be outrageous but awesome. Listening to the participants talk/argue is fun. They don't use vulgar/dumb arguments they are smart people using sound reasoning to prove their points. I'm a loyal fan in just one week. Expand
  11. May 3, 2013
    Everyone talks about how important it is to make technology, science, engineering, and math cool so that kids will take interest in those fields. Finally a show makes that happen! Hopefully enough people will find this gem of a show and make it "must-see-tv" for the whole family. We're totally looking forward to the next episode at my house...
  12. Jun 5, 2013
    I truely enjoy the idea of this show but the episode I saw the teams were suppose to build a machine that could feed a group of people. the judges choose the team that built a pancake machine. That was pathetic to me. I could have made a better machine myself. I was not impressed by any of the people or ideas. These people are suppose to be really smart but I don't see it.
  13. Jun 13, 2013
    I have been watching each episode but after last nights judges decision they lost me!
    Are the judges paid?? It is beyond reason how the judges picked the team to win the car catching competition. First of all, are we looking for practical solutions to Engineering issues or seeing how ridiculous we can be. Secondly, what did the car look like after it ran into the steel fence the team
    built!
    That gizmo, (including labor) had to cost 3 times as much as the simple net device. Its obvious that the young contestants are very gifted, HOWEVER, if they had submitted that device to someone market they would be sadly disappointed. Good luck finding the next group of contestants! Last night was a sad display of judging a project on the merits of REAL world applications.
  14. Jul 3, 2013
    I've only watched one episode and already I am hooked. I think it is great that we have a reality show promoting intelligence and innovation and not glorifying mediocrity. I really hope this show catches on. I would rather watch 10 geniuses passionately defend their ideas any day over these histrionic scripted reality shows about nothing. I really hope that the people see the big picture.
  15. Aug 11, 2013
    After finished watching Season 1 Episode 7 "Catching Cars", I personally felt that the show has depleted its credibility and I didn't even bother to watch the supposedly-climax finale.

The "steel wall" solution should not have won over the "safety net" solution because it is a flawed design for the following reasons:
    (1) It's ability to stop a car travelling at 35mph and keep both the
    car and passenger safe will vary greatly by terrain. On a slippery surface (wet, snow, or ice), I doubt it will have enough friction to stop the car. On a very rough surface where friction is high, I doubt it will keep the passenger safe!
    (2) It won't work for any car that has 4WD or rear-wheel drive; the car will simply drive away with some decoration!
    (3) Mark Fuller's (one of the judges) explanation (on the official website) of why the "safety net" solution didn't win was because the design has a disadvantage that "these brakes had to be sized to match the mass of the on-coming vehicle. Had this been a huge truck, it wouldn't stop". True, the brakes may need to be sized to match the on-coming vehicle, but at least the brakes can be sized. Where as to stop a "huge truck", I doubt that the "steel wall" solution can be easily sized up!!
    (4) It takes more effort to build, more materials to build and is unproven.

Based on the above analysis, I cast doubt on the judge's motivation when choosing a winning solution.

I have doubts that the judgement was based on the "winning team" (ie, based on individuals) rather than the "winning design".
  16. Sep 21, 2013
    Just watched the food production episode and i got tired soon.
    First all the drama about some bad guy being elected for the wild card and all others complaining about him being rude.
    Then they start making a plan for a machine.
    One of the contestants talks about a 3D printer thing and gets the job because the jury was very impressed.
    But the thing she build didn't have anything to do
    with 3D at all...
    Like WTF???
    She should have lost just because the machine wasn't anywhere near to what she was talking about.
    Probably won't bother watching it again.
tbd

No score yet - based on 3 Critics

1. Reviewed by: Neil Genzlinger
    May 1, 2013
    The usual stuff of such shows--arguments among team members; a race against the clock--is served up, though here the disagreements are peppered with phrases out of a physics class about kinetic friction, static friction and so on.
  2. Reviewed by: David Wiegand
    Apr 29, 2013
    In the end, we come away from Big Brain Theory realizing that nerds can be just as insufferable as anyone, and just as interesting. The only thing that seems to separate the competitors on Big Brain from those on “Survivor” is that the nerds wear more clothes.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    Apr 29, 2013
    In the broad strokes, this looks and feels like almost every other made-for-TV elimination game.