The Dresden Files : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Jan 21, 2007
7.5

1. SteveT
    Jan 22, 2007
    Very Disapointed...I am huge fan of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files. So I was a bit put off as to why they decided to butcher Butcher's fine work. None of the characters are portrayed accuratly. Harry looks all wrong, no trademark duster, no long hair, no BLUE BEETLE? Why? There is no plausible reason why the characters couldn't have been writtne to match their portrayal in the Very Disapointed...I am huge fan of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files. So I was a bit put off as to why they decided to butcher Butcher's fine work. None of the characters are portrayed accuratly. Harry looks all wrong, no trademark duster, no long hair, no BLUE BEETLE? Why? There is no plausible reason why the characters couldn't have been writtne to match their portrayal in the books. I hate when they make a show from a synopsis of a great book. The director obvioiusly just developed from the idea, not the story it self. In brief the show stinks. So I will just stick to the books. They are fantastic. Expand
  2. AntonK
    Jul 5, 2009
    The series sucks. As on of the commenters said. if someone liked the book, why didn't they include the things that make the book such a great read? Where's the blue beetle? the leather duster? Mister? Hells bells, what have they done?
  3. KevinD
    Feb 18, 2007
    It's truly amazing that somebody liked the books enough to do the series but obviously has no interest in inclkuding any of the elments that make them such a great read. The pilot was so full of poor ideas and missed the point so much somebody must have made a great effort to do such a bad job. Here's hoping it gets better. But I'm not holding my breath!
  4. JustinS.
    Jul 12, 2007
    This show sucks! The books are SOOO much better, the tone is way off, Dresden is WAAAY off, well everything 'cept the name is off, and the banter with Bob is kinda close. But even on its own merits, its a really bad show. Not engaging, way to cliche, nothing really original.
  5. Jan 13, 2011
    This show is a huge disappointment... im talking HUGE. I just finished Changes the other day and i was gonna see if the show is anything like the books. the creators of this show cant even get one thing right... Harry has long shoulder length hair, a duster, a fat cat, his moms 5 pointed star necklace,and the blue beetle! who the heck is laura? and murphy? im pretty sure that she hasThis show is a huge disappointment... im talking HUGE. I just finished Changes the other day and i was gonna see if the show is anything like the books. the creators of this show cant even get one thing right... Harry has long shoulder length hair, a duster, a fat cat, his moms 5 pointed star necklace,and the blue beetle! who the heck is laura? and murphy? im pretty sure that she has blonde hair? did anyone try and put an effort into tryin to find a blonde girl? at least make her wear a wig? oh and another thing, Harry's house has no upstairs. its in a basement under a old apartment building. I hate that people dont even try to stick to the books anymore. take a tip from the books : Millions of people bought the books and loved them because of the way the author made it! now who in their right mind thought that it would be a good idea to change some of the most critical stuff right off the bat? the show would be good for people who have never read the books. Im gonna assume im right that a large majority of the people who have watched one episode read the books and were kinda ticked off like i am. I wont watch this show because its horrible next to the books. Expand
  6. Dec 13, 2011
    This is a terrible, terrible version of Harry Dresden's world. The characters are well off mark and far too many liberties have been taken, turning this into another obnoxious Sci-Fi original series. Dialogue and acting are mediocre as usual, and there's simply not enough engaging material to hold my attention. I'm not a very picky person when it comes to TV, for that matter. Please don'tThis is a terrible, terrible version of Harry Dresden's world. The characters are well off mark and far too many liberties have been taken, turning this into another obnoxious Sci-Fi original series. Dialogue and acting are mediocre as usual, and there's simply not enough engaging material to hold my attention. I'm not a very picky person when it comes to TV, for that matter. Please don't take this show as a representation of the novels. Expand
  7. Sep 1, 2013
    This is a terrible attempt at capturing the delight of Jim Butcher's "The Dresden Files" book series. It is a massive disappointment and failure in general.

Dresden is too likable. Instead of a hard-boiled detective you'd see in detective noir, he's an all-around softy. More often than not he appears incredibly weak. He's more like a more useless version of Kwai Chang Cain from Kung Fu the Legend Continues than a tough guy wizard detective with a soft heart.

The episode to episode plots are all weak, full of holes and plot induced stupidity. The relationship between magic and the world is uneven, seemingly made up on the spot rather than being part of well thought out cohesive set. Worst, most of the episodes include very little actual magic occurring at all.

I cannot think of a single change made for the tv shows from the book that were good, or even necessary.

As an adaptation of a beloved book series, this rates a 1. A 2 if you try really hard to think of ways it could have been done worse. As a Sci-fi series it might eek out a 4. It's not as good as Eureka, or even Kyle XY. But it does at least have more entertainment value than Ghosthunters.

I'll average out the score to a 3, the highest "negative" rating I can give it.

If you don’t like hints of Harry Potter mixed in with fairly straightforward procedural elements, this may not be the show for you.
  2. These unsettling scenes are tough on the eyes, but happily, star Paul Blackthorne is well worth watching, full time.
    Even with Blackthorne's occasionally engaging portrayal of Harry Dresden, this whodunit lacks the wit and imagination that might transform it into something special.