The Fall : Season 1

Season #: 1, 2, 3
7.6

1. Mar 10, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Just awful.

I have tried to push through this mindless series and it's a chore.

The cops, the victims, the people surrounding the killer are clueless. The killer is reckless. This should have been solved in the second episode. My God they have a drawing of him! They have him on film! He's been to the police station! He even helped the girl on the train by drawing his beard in the picture!

It doesn't matter what he does, who sees him and even IF someone does know(the teenager).

I haven't finished season 2 but I can imagine that the only way they catch him is if he walks into the police station and scream: "Here I am!"

So many things should have given him away(can his wife be any dumber)and yet he does what he wants.

At least make him clever. Don't make the people pursuing him stupid.
  2. Dec 6, 2014
    We used to talk about "seeing " a movie, but so many new films are shot without lighting, you really can't see much. I barely made it through the first episode, which wasn't interesting enough to sit through any more. Very little story development, characters of little interest. Kind of a long variation of "Criminal Minds."
  3. Sep 26, 2015
    I only watched the first episode and part of the second. The show is boring and slow. Gillian Anderson gives a flat, emotionless performance. I've never seen anyone look so bored in a sex scene.
  4. Dec 28, 2015
    Whereas American mystery and crime shows can wrap up crimes in sixty minutes less commercials, it takes the Brits two to three seasons. Somewhere in the middle would be ideal. As much as one can become immersed in the " The Fall" storyline, the endless dreariness and requisite incompetence to carry it, renders the story into a gloomy, and logically intolerable mess. After two seasons onWhereas American mystery and crime shows can wrap up crimes in sixty minutes less commercials, it takes the Brits two to three seasons. Somewhere in the middle would be ideal. As much as one can become immersed in the " The Fall" storyline, the endless dreariness and requisite incompetence to carry it, renders the story into a gloomy, and logically intolerable mess. After two seasons on the same story, there's no reason to carry it to another. Expand
  5. Mar 31, 2016
    I have one rule of thumb when it comes to TV series: if it hasnt hooked me in the first 15 minutes I move on to something more stimulating. I must say.,fan that I am of most BBC series, intrigued as I was about the plot, and curious of what the fuss was about I turned on my Netflix and was prepared to binge watch a show with positive reviews..BUT...( sigh)..what an utter and completeI have one rule of thumb when it comes to TV series: if it hasnt hooked me in the first 15 minutes I move on to something more stimulating. I must say.,fan that I am of most BBC series, intrigued as I was about the plot, and curious of what the fuss was about I turned on my Netflix and was prepared to binge watch a show with positive reviews..BUT...( sigh)..what an utter and complete disappointment! Slow paced is an understatement. Snails are slow paced..molasses in winter is slow paced. The Fall is like a funeral that never ends.It is grey, confusing, with all the suspense and drama of watching cars rust and paint dry. I made it to the end of the 1st episode but just barely. You'd have to strap me in a chair and staple my eyes open to get me to watch another. You want a good series to watch? Try Fargo, or Ray Donovan, or Breaking Bad, or Better Call Saul, or almost any other BBC series like Luther, or Sherlock. Believe me, if you give The Fall a miss, you won.t be missing anything. Expand

1. People Weekly
    Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Jun 14, 2013
    [A] cool yet intensely emotional British crime series. [24 Jun 2013, p.40]
  2. Reviewed by: Neil Genzlinger
    Jun 10, 2013
    It’s a fine show, relying on slow-building tension rather than the gory shock value of series like “The Following,” and the five-episode arc now on Netflix is worth a look if you haven’t had your fill of cat-and-mouse dynamics.... Oddly, the character developed the least may be Ms. Anderson’s.
  3. Reviewed by: Willa Paskin
    Jun 5, 2013
    Some of these moments are memorable and stark. More are soporific. Both lend themselves to The Fall’s tone: these days, slow is what passes for serious. Anderson’s performance is what makes The Fall worth watching.