Season #: 1, 2
7.8

1. Oct 21, 2011
    Enticing ... but by the last episode you feel like you have just finished a meal made up of more sauce than meat. The show has the potential to be great, but it runs at far too slow a pace ... and, more importantly, the conspiracy is simply lacking in impact.
  2. Aug 20, 2011
    I've only seen the first episode of "The Hour," and so far I don't have the same high opinion of the miniseries that most critics do. Maybe that will change when I have the chance to see more episodes, but for now, the plot lines are maddeningly confused and the action seems a bit plodding. I also candidly admit that after the first twenty minutes I was forced to retire to my computerI've only seen the first episode of "The Hour," and so far I don't have the same high opinion of the miniseries that most critics do. Maybe that will change when I have the chance to see more episodes, but for now, the plot lines are maddeningly confused and the action seems a bit plodding. I also candidly admit that after the first twenty minutes I was forced to retire to my computer just to see if I could dig up a plot summary that would explain to me what it was I had just seen. Also, perhaps I am going deaf or have suffered a stroke or something, but I found the dialogue difficult to understand. Have we reached the point where British English and American English have diverged to the point that there is a need for subtitles?

That said, I can see that the series has real possibilities. It is confusingly well-written (an oxymoron, I know). The staging gives a good impression of the shabby, struggling postwar Britain in which the Beeb was building up its news operation and its reputation as not just another tame broadcaster. I remember having similar mixed impressions about the first episode of "Tinker,Tailor, Soldier, Spy" when I viewed its first episode. Now it's one of the few miniseries I would ever give a 10, and one of the few that I like to watch over and over again. I don't expect such rosy results for "The Hour," but I am prepared to like it a lot more later than I do now.

1. Reviewed by: Maureen Ryan
    Aug 17, 2011
    Sure, it's not particularly deep and has some pacing issues, but it's a generally watchable, well-acted effort.
  2. Reviewed by: Matthew Gilbert
    Aug 17, 2011
    It offers amusement and a tad of suspense, but little to ponder over the long run.
  3. Reviewed by: Curt Wagner
    Aug 17, 2011
    The smartly written series throws a lot of information, historical context, beautiful sets and costumes at viewers early on to create what eventually becomes a first-rate thriller.