7.8

1. Oct 30, 2011
    I watched the first episode and I'm already intrigued. It is very hooking and I am recommending it to everyone I know. It's a must-see. The acting as well as the plot is fantastic.
  2. Oct 21, 2011
    Enticing ... but by the last episode you feel like you have just finished a meal made up of more sauce than meat. The show has the potential to be great, but it runs at far too slow a pace ... and, more importantly, the conspiracy is simply lacking in impact.
  3. Oct 10, 2011
    Comparions to Mad Men seem way off to me. Definitely a slow burn sort of show, but well paced and really leads up to a fantastic finale. The show is both well written and well acted. As an American who was an over the top fan of "The Wire" it took some time to adjust to Dominic West's character, but Detective Mcnulty was fully in my rear view mirror by the time ep 3 rolled around. Could not recommend this show more. Stellar Expand
  4. Sep 7, 2011
    Very good show, I´ve watched all 6 episodes already and I was a bit disappointed towards the end, but overall the acting is good, the script is satisfying, and i liked it.
  5. Aug 29, 2011
    Just watched the final episode of the first series and understand it has been commissioned for a second. Excellent work BBC. This is storytelling at it's best; thoughtful, considered and well paced. People have compared it with the excellent Mad Men but the only comparison is the time frame - this is very different in geography, context and concept. Compare the two and you're missing the point. I can't comment directly on the feel of the BBC at the time (although I understand the BBC was trying to overthrow government control at the time) however overall if definitely captures the era with rising issues such as racism, nationalism and equality at the forefront. An intriguing, if slightly obvious plot towards the end, delivered through superb acting and excellent direction. Can't wait for series 2. Expand
  6. Aug 24, 2011
    Is it like madmen, yes. Is it as good, probably not as erudite but certainly far and away more gripping. A brilliantly paced wondrously executed show that I would recommend to anyone interested in period dramas, or thrillers. Circling around the events of a nascent BBC program, the titular hour, the show quickly becomes embroiled in a wondrously written spy novel that will have you on the edge of your seat from end to end. Collapse
  7. Aug 24, 2011
    Over-hyped, but thankfully not yet over here [in the USA]. All the worst features of the BBC committee-style, commissar-style production are on view here. Some great actors, appalling script and no feel whatsoever for the ers. Almost every scene is drowned in anachronistic political correctness...race, women, health issue. Some Brit critics have complained but with the BBc few dare to challenge the monopoly. They have rallied around the flag to praise this but it does not stand up, especially to the trite comparisons to Mad Men. Expand
  8. Aug 21, 2011
    Simply excellent. The attention to detail, the acting, the story every single bit comes together in this show. It's rare for me to like a show this much.
  9. Aug 20, 2011
    I've only seen the first episode of "The Hour," and so far I don't have the same high opinion of the miniseries that most critics do. Maybe that will change when I have the chance to see more episodes, but for now, the plot lines are maddeningly confused and the action seems a bit plodding. I also candidly admit that after the first twenty minutes I was forced to retire to my computer just to see if I could dig up a plot summary that would explain to me what it was I had just seen. Also, perhaps I am going deaf or have suffered a stroke or something, but I found the dialogue difficult to understand. Have we reached the point where British English and American English have diverged to the point that there is a need for subtitles?

That said, I can see that the series has real possibilities. It is confusingly well-written (an oxymoron, I know). The staging gives a good impression of the shabby, struggling postwar Britain in which the Beeb was building up its news operation and its reputation as not just another tame broadcaster. I remember having similar mixed impressions about the first episode of "Tinker,Tailor, Soldier, Spy" when I viewed its first episode. Now it's one of the few miniseries I would ever give a 10, and one of the few that I like to watch over and over again. I don't expect such rosy results for "The Hour," but I am prepared to like it a lot more later than I do now.
  10. Aug 18, 2011
    I've only seen the first episode, but I'm absolutely going to keep watching. The cast is excellent (Ben Winshaw & Dominic West in particular), but it's the sense of impending danger that keeps thing especially intriguing. I'm fired up to see the rest. It's a perfect stopgap before the fall season begins.

1. Reviewed by: Maureen Ryan
    Aug 17, 2011
    Sure, it's not particularly deep and has some pacing issues, but it's a generally watchable, well-acted effort.
  2. Reviewed by: Matthew Gilbert
    Aug 17, 2011
    It offers amusement and a tad of suspense, but little to ponder over the long run.
  3. Reviewed by: Curt Wagner
    Aug 17, 2011
    The smartly written series throws a lot of information, historical context, beautiful sets and costumes at viewers early on to create what eventually becomes a first-rate thriller.