• Network: AMC
  • Series Premiere Date: Apr 3, 2011
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3
8.0

1. Apr 2, 2012
    I'm done with this show. I don't care about any of the characters anymore, I'm tired of the never-ending rain and fog that seems to inhabit Seattle (or at least "Seattle as Envisioned by Hollywood"), I can't bear to watch another weepy, mournful scene with the Larson family or an angst ridden exchange between Linden and Jack, I DON'T GIVE A **** ABOUT THE SEATTLE MAYORAL RACE (and neither does anyone else, even people who live in Seattle) and I have lost all interest in the Rosie Larson case. I don't think Rosie Larson even knows who killed Rosie Larson. Veena Sud blew it. They should have revealed the murderer at the end of season 1 and started season 2 with a fresh case. I know, I know, unveiling the mystery at the logical point of conclusion is such a tired concept, but it's what the fans wanted- and what is a show without its fans? To expect people to stick around for another long, drawn out season based around the same exact case (WHICH WASN'T THAT INTERESTING IN THE FIRST PLACE) is ludicrous. I'm throwing in the towel. Thank God for Game of Thrones. Expand
  2. Apr 3, 2012
    This is a terrific show. The character development is great. You really get a sense of what it would be like to be in their situation. Don't change a thing, this is some of the best television ever made.
  3. Apr 3, 2012
    I never really saw how 'The Killing' could make it as a television show, an ongoing tale about the murder of a single person stretched out in to an episodic drama isn't necessarily something that can hold my interest. With that said, I was shocked to find myself becoming invested in the story and the characters in season one, and I think i can speak for everyone when I say that I was highly disappointed in the finale. It's okay for a show to slowly pace itself, as long as there is a payoff in the end. Unfortunately, "The Killing' failed to finished what they started, which puts me right back where is started in the first place. This story just isn't fit to be a serialized drama. Expand
  4. Apr 2, 2012
    I for one am looking forward to seeing Mitch come back, but I do think the Larsen family dynamic is engrossing around Stan in the mean time, he is a great menacing protective bear of a character and coping with the absence of the Mitch is mirrored in subtle, well delivered reactions from the kids Denny and Tom, and is very interesting to watch. I love what has evolved with Holder as well - Certainly pleasantly pleased so far! Expand
  5. Apr 24, 2012
    Larsen' killer not being revealed will try the patience of most viewers, who are unfamiliar with this kind of storytelling. In season two more characters are fleshed out, Sarah Linden too far into the case now to quit elects to stay on board and find the true killer. After the events in season one. Linden wonders who she can trust and must start looking at the case from a new angle and figure out what she missed. An how far this thing really goes. The Cast is just as good as in season one but the same cannot be said of the writing. Expand
  6. Jun 22, 2012
    This show had us hooked from the first episode until the finale.
    It took you on many turns and twists and felt the ending was very satisfying. This is definitely a highly addicting TV series and truly hope they have another season because now that it's over, I feel like I definitely want to see more.
  7. Apr 1, 2012
    I'm encouraged by the 2-hour premiere episode. Sure, I was disappointed by many that we didn't figure out who the killer is in the season 1 finale, but plenty of shows have hidden the ball into season 2 - see Twin Peaks. The lead actors are phenomenal - and even though I love her, I was happy to see Michelle Forbes away from this long episode. She's a ponderous force in this series which I hope is either lifted or alleviated. Expand
  8. Apr 30, 2012
    I'm enjoying this season just as much as last year. What's striking is the chemistry that has developed between Holder and LInden. We haven't seen on-screen chemistry like this since Mulder and Scully. One last note, whenever I'm watching this show I'm reminded why I've always hated shows like CSI or NCIS or whatever ... They lack grittiness, which this show has in spades. Fantastic show, don't miss out Expand
  9. Apr 23, 2012
    The pacing in season 2 again treats the audience like children. you find out absolutely nothing of importance until the last 2 minutes of every episode, and the importance level of those little perfunctory reveals is lessening more and more with every episode. the acting is passable in this season moreso than the first, and every now and then they pull an interesting cinematography technique. to the killing's credit i now am finally invested in the plot. i've turned against nearly every character in the story, but i am coming back every week to watch more of it. *will update at the end of the season Collapse
  10. Jun 22, 2012
    This series was an easy 10. Excellent, surprising, and actually sad ending. This show has been number 3 behind Breaking Bad and Game Of Thrones. Even though the latter is on HBO, AMC is killing em right now.
  11. Apr 9, 2012
    The best show on TV right now, the characters are some of the most endearing that I have seen, one thing is for sure, this show is not for people who think Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead are among the best shows ever, I enjoy Game of Thrones but The Killing has something much more special for me, it reminds me of my past, and how one struggles so hard after losing someone.
  12. May 1, 2012
    I loved Season One but was extremely disappointed that the show didn't close the murder mystery with the finale. I started watching anew in Season Two assuming they'd solve the murder in the first episode or two, but now six episodes in and no resolution. I feel like I should be deeply disappointed in Season Two, but I am finding it every bit as good as Season One. It really has built up nicely towards a stellar conclusion. Acting is tremendous and the writing is great. Expand
  13. Jun 9, 2013
    A bit boring and uneventful so far into the season makes it less enjoyable then season 1 but I still like the show enough to sit through it. Hopefully it picks up later in the season.
  14. Jul 28, 2012
    In contrast with it's Danish origin, the US adaptation of The Killing took the decision, for better or for worse, to not reveal Rosie Larsen's killer at the end of season one and dedicate another season to the Linden's investigation.

I like The Killing as in a similar manner to The Wire, it shows the detective process in a more painstaking light and at a more realistic speed, with the
    detectives sometimes at a loss for clues or leads and makes a change from solved in an episode police shows. Again similar to The Wire, it dedicates time to the characters from both the police and the suspects as well as the grieving family.

Season two begins immediately where the first left off, as Linden pieces together clues of a possible conspiracy to frame Richmond. This has Linden questioning Holder's loyalty to the case and the two lead characters manage to avoid each other's attempts to explain the situation for the first few episodes. This became frustrating as first Linden ignores Holder and then Linden struggles to reach Holder after she clears him. There are only so many times you can watch someone choose to not answer the phone.

Holder remains as amusing as before with his macho posturing but Linden becomes quite dislikeable during the season. Her neglect of her son as she becomes addicted to the case is abhorrent.

A lot of screen time of the first half of the season is spent with Richmond recuperation in hospital. While I assumed that this time was being well spent, and that Richmond's involvement hadn't finished yet it was a distraction from the crime solving activities.

The season improved greatly from Episode 8 onwards. Linden manages to save Holder, loses her badge, sends Jack away and the episode ends with her and Holder driving away from the camera in a new direction, both having found new determination.

The final episode brought all three groups of characters together and despite the anti-climax of the first half of the episode, the second half provided a heart-breaking twist and some solid acting from Rosie's family as all was revealed, both from a justice point of view and with regards to Rosie's feelings towards her parents.

The show has now been cancelled by AMC and I feel that having solved the Larsen case and been through so much in doing so, there is little left for the writers to work with for Linden and it would not be the same starting with a fresh investigation so all in all a good decision to let the show finish on a high.
  15. Jul 19, 2013
    solid adaptation of a danish show. it uses the same red herring device of a murder investigation to invesigate the community its set in. a lot of great moments and incredibly well realised tone and world, but increasingly hampered by its need to use the plot to investigate the characters.

the idea is in line with the wire, but the device and adaptive duty, holds the whole thing back a touch.

1. Reviewed by: Ken Tucker
    Apr 2, 2012
    The series needs to propel its mostly superb actors into action, to push the narrative forward. [6 Apr 2012, p.63]
  2. Reviewed by: Rob Owen
    Apr 2, 2012
    Once viewers accept it for the mediocre melodrama it is, they'll be more satisfied, tuning in for the strong performances and high production values while rolling their eyes at the umpteenth red herring and illogical plot turn.
  3. Reviewed by: Cynthia Fuchs
    Apr 2, 2012
    It's more subtly, and more forcefully too, a quest for understanding, specifically an understanding of how the world works.