The Mentalist : Season 1

Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
8.5

1. DianneK
    Oct 1, 2008
    I'm enjoying this show very much, which is a nice surprise in this lackluster season. The lead is terrific -- smart, witty, but caring underneath it all. A nice addition to the NCIS/Without a Trace lineup, and they are both shows I enjoy. I hope "The Mentalist" makes it.
  2. AngelaP
    Dec 18, 2008
    The entire cast does a wonderful job of gaining attention of the audience. It is wonderful to watch a show (without having to do too much thinking following a long day of work) and be able to feel a connection to the characters. The Mentalist has become my DVR's best -and only-friend. Thanks to a great network for bringing some excitement-and very great looking actors; Baker and The entire cast does a wonderful job of gaining attention of the audience. It is wonderful to watch a show (without having to do too much thinking following a long day of work) and be able to feel a connection to the characters. The Mentalist has become my DVR's best -and only-friend. Thanks to a great network for bringing some excitement-and very great looking actors; Baker and Tunney, to my Tuesday nights. Hoping to see much more of this show. Expand
  3. LordofFood
    Dec 29, 2009
    Brilliant. Bruno Heller really thinks out the plot of the next episode and eventually makes it great. Simon Baker makes a good, sometimes cocky, smart, and observant Patrick Jane. Greatest show i've ever seen.
  4. BrandonN
    Sep 28, 2008
    The first episode gave me me new hope for television.
  5. Debbies.
    Sep 30, 2008
    I want to like it, because I really like Simon Baker. But I do not think it is exciting enough. I do not care for who the show has as the murderer(s). So far the murders really do not make since.
  6. MaggieK.
    Sep 24, 2008
    Interesting premise and engaging characters but the experience was ruined for me with the off-color sexual content and unusually bad language. This was unnecessary and detracted from a series that I had initially thought would be something to make an hour in front of the TV on a Tuesday night worthwhile. Since I felt uncomfortable with this throughout the hour and certainly would not have Interesting premise and engaging characters but the experience was ruined for me with the off-color sexual content and unusually bad language. This was unnecessary and detracted from a series that I had initially thought would be something to make an hour in front of the TV on a Tuesday night worthwhile. Since I felt uncomfortable with this throughout the hour and certainly would not have wanted my daughter to be in the room while this was on, I will not be tuning in for future episodes. Expand
  7. Jul 15, 2012
    The lead guy sucks so right off the bat thats a recipe for sestruction! Not to mention IT'S A COMPLETE KNOCKOFF OF PSYCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  8. ingridw
    Apr 13, 2009
    This show is WAY! to Predictable, 4 out of the last 5 episodes i have watched i guessed who the killer or killers were at the start of the show......the show doesnt have enough suspence and the drama isnt worth staying around for.. its almost like they hired the llowest paid writers they could get to try and pull off a blockbuster of the year...Good luck.
  9. EA.
    Sep 24, 2008
    This show seemed like a rip off if USA's Psych on a few Valium. Yawn.
  10. MichaelC.
    Oct 18, 2009
    Complete garbage.
  11. AlexT.
    Sep 27, 2008
    Definitely a HUGE rip off of Psych HUGE HUGE HUGE rip off!!!!! just not as funny or as good. Get original
  12. AimeeP.
    Oct 10, 2008
    This show even though it seems to be similar to Life on NBC. It's a good show, the team of actors work very well together. I hope they give the show a chance to get off the ground before they cancel it and leave all hanging on who the red face killer is.
  13. TeresaC
    Sep 26, 2008
    As a detective with above average observational powers, Simon Baker manages to be both playful and haunted -- a neat trick. The fun of the show is in seeing the world through his eyes. The show just needs better plots that are harder to solve. A show called "The Mentalist" should have plots that take a little mental power to solve.
  14. JodyM
    Sep 29, 2008
    I like the premise of the show, the mix of detective type show with a hint of spiritualism.
  15. SashM.
    Jan 6, 2009
    Wow, this show is really exciting, I love it. Simon Baker is simply put, Legendary. He performs spectacularly and is half the reason I come back again and again to watch this show. It is quite similar to Psyche but that show is great, so what is everyone complaining about. it's not like Bruno Heller copied a (for lack of a better word) "sh*tty" show.
  16. SunilM
    Sep 29, 2008
    disappointing execution on a great promise - instead or ripping off Psych and House the scriptwriters should take a leaf out of Darren Brown's "tricks of the mind".
  17. anthonya
    Sep 30, 2008
    I love the show. Something Different
  18. ccc
    Dec 1, 2009
    pretty awesome tv show, love simon baker as patrick jane.
  19. DoctorO
    Sep 27, 2008
    The show has potential. A serial killer as the antagonist... interesting to see where that goes.
  20. KimberlyS.
    May 17, 2009
    This show has grown on me. I immediately liked Patrick Jane, but it was the supporting cast that fell short on those first few episodes. They have since really been fleshed out. The character Kimball Cho has really taken off and at times he's stolen the scene.
  21. Jan 20, 2011
    First season was good.Second season was ok.This season so far has been really uninteresting.
  22. J_B
    Nov 5, 2011
    The acting, aside from Simon Baker who I love, isn't very good at all. Robin Tunney has the emotion of a brick, but I blame that mostly on the bad writing/I really want to like this show, because of Simon Baker, but there's so many other, better shows out there.
  23. Mar 26, 2012
    The weird thing about this show is that its main gimmick, Jane's 'abilities', are surprisingly underused. To compare to shows with similar gimmicks, in 'Lie to me' the whole show revolves around reading peoples faces, and in 'Psych' the whole show revolves around Shawn pretending to be psychic. However, the mentalist is mostly just a standard procedural about a team of agentsThe weird thing about this show is that its main gimmick, Jane's 'abilities', are surprisingly underused. To compare to shows with similar gimmicks, in 'Lie to me' the whole show revolves around reading peoples faces, and in 'Psych' the whole show revolves around Shawn pretending to be psychic. However, the mentalist is mostly just a standard procedural about a team of agents investigating murders with the usual methods, same as any other cop show, and then at the end when they find out who did it Jane says that was who he thought it was from the begging. There are a few moments in some episodes when Jane will use some sort of mind trick to get some information out of a suspect but that's it. The good thing is that even as a standard procedural the plots are interesting. The characters other than Jane are average, but Jane has an underlying story arc with the whole 'Red John' thing. Expand
  24. SpirosK.
    Feb 2, 2009
    The star character is very well built to be extremely smart but pleasant and likable at the same time. Very well played by Baker.
  25. LukeTheDuke
    Jul 2, 2009
    This show is normally more enjoyable than a '7' rating would indicate, but the casting is part 5 and part 10. Bruno Heller has crafted a good series, and Simon Baker, Tim Kang and Amanda Righetti are top notch. Robin Tunney is not believable as a supervisor/manager (except in a PC police department) her less than competent ways and skills and her interaction with Jane hall do This show is normally more enjoyable than a '7' rating would indicate, but the casting is part 5 and part 10. Bruno Heller has crafted a good series, and Simon Baker, Tim Kang and Amanda Righetti are top notch. Robin Tunney is not believable as a supervisor/manager (except in a PC police department) her less than competent ways and skills and her interaction with Jane hall do little to help the show. Owain Yeoman has a similar problem as Rigsby. I guess we are to believe that the CBI is mainly inept with a few good thnkers and detectives. Mediocre characters in recurring roles in dramas really bring down the series. Why not write all the main characters as highly proficient and capable. Romanticism and heroic characters are far more desirable than 'average' run-of-the-mill types. Most episodes are entertaining, and it is always fun to see how Jane will outsmart both his colleagues and the perpetrators, and what nice deed will be done at the end. Bring in Emmanuelle Vaugier from CSI New York this past season (and Two and a Half Men) and Rory Cochrane from CSI Miami a few seasons back, and then you will have an all-star ensemble. Expand
  26. ZeMasterOfDisaster
    Aug 7, 2009
    These kind of shows with sophisticated characters and predictable-yet-entertaining episodes makes me wonder why on earth I used to put up with other shows before this.
  27. AdamA.
    Sep 23, 2008
    Not horrible, but unexciting. I didn't dread the episode, but I didn't see any reason to tune in to the next one. It's all been done before. Kind of a Psych meets Law and Order, but without charm.
  28. SamM.
    Apr 13, 2009
    Great cast and and a very good pilot episode, but the programmes inability to stick with the 'good' main plot truly lets itself down. bad writing on a couple of episodes. still very watchable non the less.
  29. CrisC
    Nov 19, 2009
    Hands down...my favorite show. This season is even better with the development of the secondary characters. I have never missed an episode.
  30. JuliaB
    Dec 15, 2009
    My husband and I love this show. We DVR it and watch it right after the kids go to bed. Jane is the most wonderful character...I mean, I just LOVE him!

1. The tricks he performs are overshadowed by the glee with which Baker performs them. Like any good grifter, he gets a genuine thrill out of entertaining, manipulating, or confusing people.
  2. This role is tailor-made for Baker, who has a flair for playing irreverent characters who are crucial to the success of the system even as they tweak its authority figures.
    Because as much as Baker's suavely sly version of a gotcha artist is a welcome addition, thanks to a few not-so-hidden laws of character-actor placement, you'll guess the pilot scenario's killer before anybody else.