• Network: HBO
  • Series Premiere Date: Jun 24, 2012
Season #: 1, 2, 3
7.5

1. Jul 15, 2013
    This is a great show. The second season had a bit of a rough history but as far as I can tell, the show is going great. Still funny and still extremely smart, The Newsroom is a fast paced show in which you must pay close attention. Also, to those who say that the show is "unrealistic", they should go watch the evening news. One of the better shows airing now.
  2. Jul 16, 2013
    Ok so I wanted to step in here and speak up for what I find to be a terrific show. I've been hearing nonstop criticism of this show over the last few weeks and most of seems to boil down to "Aaron Sorkin is in love with his own opinion." Well yeah, yeah he is. So what? He's a writer. Writers write because they have a high opinion of their thoughts and opinions and want to share them withOk so I wanted to step in here and speak up for what I find to be a terrific show. I've been hearing nonstop criticism of this show over the last few weeks and most of seems to boil down to "Aaron Sorkin is in love with his own opinion." Well yeah, yeah he is. So what? He's a writer. Writers write because they have a high opinion of their thoughts and opinions and want to share them with others. They often express a view that they themselves hold to. What people are really mad at is that the views Sorkin is expressing are liberal views and liberal is still a dirty word in America. Yeah the liberal circlejerk of this show can be tiresome at moments and I'm not saying this is the best show on television or anything but compared to 90% of the shows on TV its pretty excellent storytelling, so maybe, just maybe, we could stop dragging it through the mud before it gets cancelled and we are left with one less quality show to watch. How about it? Expand
  3. Jul 18, 2013
    A great beginning to a new season of a series that pushes political boundaries and gives unique depth to recent events. This series is great due to the excellent acting and great contrast between drama and comedy. I can't wait to see where the new season goes.
  4. Jul 17, 2013
    Wow. Another season smashed by the critics. Surprise. I guess they don't like the media scrutinized. Nobody wants to be told they sold out and stink at their job. The season premiere was brilliant and they fixed some of the worst issues of season 1 by introducing a longer arc and killing the boring love triangle right away.
    For the record, nobody was "fired" from the show's first season.
    For the record, nobody was "fired" from the show's first season. They only brought in new people and others moved on to shows where they would get to write actual scripts instead of helping with scripts written by Sorkin.
    Brilliant cast and great execution. Don't believe the trolls who post negative reviews just because they can't stand shows that dare to take position instead of schmoozing everyone or because they feel Republicans are not treated "fairly". Watch and get your own opinion.
  5. Jul 18, 2013
    The first season of the show was fantastic. Aaron Sorkin did a great job bridging the gap between season one and season two. My only critique is that a lot of major events happened back to back with not too much time to digest everything. However, it IS the first episode. That's an aspect I could have predicted. Overall, great show. I urge everyone to keep watching.
  6. Jul 30, 2013
    This is an amazing show. The cast ensemble is mixed and work well off each other. The show is intelligent, fast paced and exciting. It hits the heart with its real stories and leaves the viewers thinking and wanting more.
  7. Aug 10, 2013
    Brilliant shows. Very interesting to see news stories reported in a way that everyone should want. And the guy below that said the stories aren't believable is a moron. The stories are nearly all actual real stories. Not based on real stories, ACTUAL stories. The only story that isn't real is the Genoa story, but it is based on the actual CNN story from the 90's that turned out to beBrilliant shows. Very interesting to see news stories reported in a way that everyone should want. And the guy below that said the stories aren't believable is a moron. The stories are nearly all actual real stories. Not based on real stories, ACTUAL stories. The only story that isn't real is the Genoa story, but it is based on the actual CNN story from the 90's that turned out to be extremely wrong. Expand
  8. Sep 16, 2013
    Season 2 is absolutely fantastic. More twists, a lot more drama, amazing acting, and some great news. I gotta give it to Aaron he never lets me down.
  9. Sep 6, 2013
    The Newsroom is the voice of the forgotten center of the political spectrum, screaming to return to the heart of journalism, to turn away from news cycles more concerned with commercial viability than integrity. Its focus on near history's pivotal moments makes the drama feel all the more real.
  10. Sep 5, 2013
    Never have I EVER been so interested in politics. This show makes you laugh, cry, get nervous and also somehow feel more witty than everyone else all at the same time. I love the writing, You are constantly on the edge of your seat. I wish every show was written in this format of fast-talking two-conversation-at-a-time way. I loved social network and I love this show! Two thumbs WAY up!Never have I EVER been so interested in politics. This show makes you laugh, cry, get nervous and also somehow feel more witty than everyone else all at the same time. I love the writing, You are constantly on the edge of your seat. I wish every show was written in this format of fast-talking two-conversation-at-a-time way. I loved social network and I love this show! Two thumbs WAY up! I will always be watching Collapse
  11. Jan 11, 2014
    Big step up from season 1. This is fast becoming my favourite show- great characters, provocative ideas and it doesn't take itself too seriously. Yes it hits hard at right wing America but as an Aussie I don't mind them taking a few hits. Sorkin is fast becoming the best writer on television if he hasn't already. Can't wait for season 3.
  12. Aug 19, 2014
    What separates The Newsroom apart from almost all other shows on television? The writing. And with season two, Sorkin's characters speak with enough loaded dialogue and enormous wit to run the entire series alone based on the words coming out of their mouths. It could be badly acted and terribly directed, but that's certainly not the case here. Apart from some structural flaws when itWhat separates The Newsroom apart from almost all other shows on television? The writing. And with season two, Sorkin's characters speak with enough loaded dialogue and enormous wit to run the entire series alone based on the words coming out of their mouths. It could be badly acted and terribly directed, but that's certainly not the case here. Apart from some structural flaws when it comes to the story, this second season runs like clockwork. Expand
  13. Aug 26, 2014
    I watch television to escape, NOT to compare it to the normalcy of realistic everyday life, the fact this show uses realistic issues and twists them up in thought provoking but also crazy ways is what I love about it! Blah Blah portrayal of women and all that, you are scrutinising the characters way too much, at least they have substance which is only a good thing. People need to justI watch television to escape, NOT to compare it to the normalcy of realistic everyday life, the fact this show uses realistic issues and twists them up in thought provoking but also crazy ways is what I love about it! Blah Blah portrayal of women and all that, you are scrutinising the characters way too much, at least they have substance which is only a good thing. People need to just accept their personalities and enjoy and embrace being appalled. The PC police need to STFU! It figures this show is ending prematurely, you need a relatively decent IQ to watch it and well, the sheep masses need a couple of feral people, some boobs, and a few "famous for no reason" celebrities thrown in to hold their attention span longer than five seconds Expand
  14. Mar 30, 2015
  15. Jul 25, 2015

1. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Jul 18, 2013
    [The Newsroom] is much stronger and more solidly entertaining. [29 Jul 2013, p.37]
  2. Reviewed by: Mary McNamara
    Jul 15, 2013
    There's still a lot of craziness and rants designed to resonate with a certain demographic. But an air of if not humility then self-awareness pervades, softening everything it touches, even Will.
    I wouldn't say season two of The Newsroom is a big improvement over season one, but the show's definitely more measured and confident--and now that we've accepted that certain tics, such as setting the stories in a recent, real past, aren't going away, it's easier to appreciate what Sorkin and company do well.