The Newsroom : Season 2

• Series Premiere Date: Jun 24, 2012
Season #: 1, 2, 3
7.5

1. Aug 19, 2013
    If Aaron Sorkin was looking for a way to make liberals look like pompous asses, he has succeeded. And as a liberal, any show which leaves me wincing and screaming obscenities at the television while theoretically reinforcing my own beliefs is a feat of great magnitude. I had hoped this show would improve from last season, but it seems to have gotten worse. If not for the love interestIf Aaron Sorkin was looking for a way to make liberals look like pompous asses, he has succeeded. And as a liberal, any show which leaves me wincing and screaming obscenities at the television while theoretically reinforcing my own beliefs is a feat of great magnitude. I had hoped this show would improve from last season, but it seems to have gotten worse. If not for the love interest they all seem to have in one another, none of the regular female characters would even be missed if they were written out of the script. (Allison Pill cuts off all her hair after a contrived tragedy is about as deep as it gets.)

I audibly groan at the real-life events (Occupy Wall Street, bank crisis, as an example) that we are supposed to watch again, through the eyes of the PEOPLE WHO WOULD HAVE DONE THE RIGHT THING, oh, this ridiculous news channel. And this season, even more contrived b.s. with biological weapons being used on civilians in some far off country that everyone in America knows would never get put on the nightly news. There's a royal baby being born after all. Jane Fonda and Marcia Gay Harden are the only bright lights.
  2. Jul 28, 2013
    Quippy fake recycled aaron sorkin crap! Every character has the same lines, relationship and extreme level of glibness. The plot is not believable, but some of the acting is okay.
  3. Jul 30, 2013
    I really don't watch television to be patronized. Which leaves precious little to enjoy.

Sorkin has overseen some passable television, some of it excellent, but Season 2 of the Newsroom desperately needed to begin with more than a continuation of grating condescension, too-obvious plot patches (i.e. must ensure sexual tension between Maggie and Jim goes unresolved by sending one out on the Romney campaign and the other to Africa thereby extending their unrequited attraction so that now there's two in the show (oh and another looming with Sloan and Don) so that we're covered there), some blatant, telegraphed slapstick and a few quips.

The news is being forgotten. They've taken the news out of the Newsroom. There's an opportunity being missed to show another side to how our "news" stations have reported on important issues of the past few years, albeit with the complete opposite single eye and with a revisionist's pen. I know it has to be entertaining, but can it not be intelligently so? Or will that not sell what happened to the 'mission to civilize'?

Oh and finally, Neal Sampat's social media and internet geek/fanboy caricature makes me want to vomit. Seriously, I think I cry tears of blood each time his earnest little platitudes insult my cochlea.

1. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Jul 18, 2013
    [The Newsroom] is much stronger and more solidly entertaining. [29 Jul 2013, p.37]
  2. Reviewed by: Mary McNamara
    Jul 15, 2013
    There's still a lot of craziness and rants designed to resonate with a certain demographic. But an air of if not humility then self-awareness pervades, softening everything it touches, even Will.
    I wouldn't say season two of The Newsroom is a big improvement over season one, but the show's definitely more measured and confident--and now that we've accepted that certain tics, such as setting the stories in a recent, real past, aren't going away, it's easier to appreciate what Sorkin and company do well.