• Network: NBC
  • Series Premiere Date: Mar 24, 2005
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8 , 9
6.7

1. Oct 20, 2011
    I am a huge fan of the office, i have watched the first 4 seasons over and over, but while it is still a funny show, it seems to be dying a bit. Its very funny at times but then at others its a little dull. I don't like Andy as the manager at all. I was hoping for somebody new to come in. Its just not as funny without Steve Carrel. I still find it a funny and enjoyable show, its just notI am a huge fan of the office, i have watched the first 4 seasons over and over, but while it is still a funny show, it seems to be dying a bit. Its very funny at times but then at others its a little dull. I don't like Andy as the manager at all. I was hoping for somebody new to come in. Its just not as funny without Steve Carrel. I still find it a funny and enjoyable show, its just not as good as it used to be. I find myself watching reruns of the good ol' days of the office after every new episode just to remind me how good it was. Expand
  2. Nov 18, 2011
    Up until 7th season, I adored the show. But as for 8th, I barely stand for the end of episodes.
    This season (unrelated to Carell's disappearance) does not reflect the show's primary cult.
  3. Dec 5, 2011
    A once classic show has slowly gone downhill since season 3 and has reached new depths of unfunniness this season. Funny writing has been replaced by increasingly absurd characterizations (what happened to monotone Kevin? where did Jim's dry wit go?) and equally absurd situations. The episode where Andy gets a tattoo was actually good, but every other episode of this season has beenA once classic show has slowly gone downhill since season 3 and has reached new depths of unfunniness this season. Funny writing has been replaced by increasingly absurd characterizations (what happened to monotone Kevin? where did Jim's dry wit go?) and equally absurd situations. The episode where Andy gets a tattoo was actually good, but every other episode of this season has been extremely difficult to watch. Robert California had a certain amount of charm at the beginning but just now is just an extremely frustrating character. Definitely time to put this turd out to pasture. Expand
  4. Nov 9, 2011
    Loving the new season of The Office. I was concerned that it would suffer without Steve Carell but because the whole cast is so good, they have managed it without him. Andy has a completely different management style - he is a bit goofy but in a different way. He is somehow more lovable than Michael was but there is a touch of the tragic clown with him as well. James Spader's CEO is anLoving the new season of The Office. I was concerned that it would suffer without Steve Carell but because the whole cast is so good, they have managed it without him. Andy has a completely different management style - he is a bit goofy but in a different way. He is somehow more lovable than Michael was but there is a touch of the tragic clown with him as well. James Spader's CEO is an excellent addition and he doesn't over-shadow the rest of the cast. Still adore Dwight - in fact, you can't actually fault any of the cast. The writing is still strong, it is still edgy and it's still got me tuning in without fail. Steve who now? Expand
  5. Sep 29, 2011
    This review contains spoilers. I'm glad Andy became manager he brought to the table some of what Micheal Scott had, and mainly that is the care and support that Andy and Micheal give their employees and I think this is going to be a good season. Please no more planking! Collapse
  6. Nov 11, 2011
    The office has been a bit of a disappoint this season. Carrel certainly provided the glue to hold the show together but I am surprised that the cast of strong characters has not kept up the comic delights from other seasons. Has there been a change in the writer's stable? This seems to be an obvious answer. The show just is not funny this year, often resorting to the overly bawdy andThe office has been a bit of a disappoint this season. Carrel certainly provided the glue to hold the show together but I am surprised that the cast of strong characters has not kept up the comic delights from other seasons. Has there been a change in the writer's stable? This seems to be an obvious answer. The show just is not funny this year, often resorting to the overly bawdy and slapstick for laughs. Looks like it may be the last season. Expand
  7. Sep 21, 2013
    Turning Andy into the new Michael was a questionable decision. It's hard to fight for him when he's going for Erin, knowing fully-well how bad it would be for her. This is without question the weakest season of The Office. The Tallahassee arc is particularly disappointing and after that there are a string of underwhelming episodes culminating in the weakest season finale the show has everTurning Andy into the new Michael was a questionable decision. It's hard to fight for him when he's going for Erin, knowing fully-well how bad it would be for her. This is without question the weakest season of The Office. The Tallahassee arc is particularly disappointing and after that there are a string of underwhelming episodes culminating in the weakest season finale the show has ever seen. The cast is still charming and elevate much of the material, so it is much watch TV for fans of the show. 6.5/10 Expand
  8. Jul 16, 2014
    As I continue to get closer to the end of this sitcom I find it is increasingly losing steam in it's 8th season. Whether or not it is directly related to the absence of Carell's Michael I cannot say, but I found this to be the weakest of all the seasons I've watched so far. It's still enjoyable and watchable but there aren't as many laughs.

Outside of the fantastic Florida episodes the

Outside of the fantastic Florida episodes the show seems to just soldier on showing viewers exactly what they expect from the show. Even the inclusion of new characters doesn't add anything really different to the mix. In a sense it is like working in an actual office. Eventually everything just sort of falls into a pattern. It's still a good sitcom, but it fails to really wow like the previous seasons have.
  9. Sep 17, 2012
    It's amazing how far this show has fallen. A rocky start eventually led to a classic series of seasons that rank among the best of all time, but sadly, the end seems doomed to be as poor as the beginning. Without star Steve Carell and a lack of motivation behind the characters (and obviously the writers), the series has begun to flounder. It should've never continued past Carell's departure.
  10. Jan 8, 2012
    I feel that I should re-evaluate this show, based on it's performance through the mid-season. I thoroughly enjoyed the first through third episodes of the season, not questions asked. Then, the writers turned Andy into a new Michael. They made him dumb, and completely took him out of character. James Spader is great as Robert, but he doesn't add anything to the show that other corporateI feel that I should re-evaluate this show, based on it's performance through the mid-season. I thoroughly enjoyed the first through third episodes of the season, not questions asked. Then, the writers turned Andy into a new Michael. They made him dumb, and completely took him out of character. James Spader is great as Robert, but he doesn't add anything to the show that other corporate bosses haven't. Save for a few episodes such as "Mrs. California" and "Garden Party", this once great show has been middling, at best. Expand
  11. Oct 4, 2011
    Based on the much-shorter BBC-2 British sitcom of the same name, THE OFFICE is one hilarious TV show. Steve Carrell left the series after the seventh season had ended, and now we have James Spader who, though looking somewhat like Carrell, portrays a completely different character.

Note that season eight, episode two ("Incentives") was the first episode I saw of THE OFFICE, so I cannot make a then-and-now comparison, but for my first time watching this NBC comedy, I really, really enjoyed it. I can bet it was better with Carrell, but I have no argument.

THE OFFICE is really funny; a great, ridiculous parody of how an office runs (possibly implied). 'Nuff said.
  12. Sep 18, 2012
    Usually funny. Sometimes dumb. Usually funny. Sometimes dumb. Usually funny. Sometimes dumb. Usually funny. Sometimes dumb. Usually funny. Sometimes dumb.
  13. Oct 25, 2011
    Writers always step it up. Cast is always stellar. And the new lead Andy Bernard (Ed Helms) works like a charm. The Office can still stand up to any comedy on TV and say " f u c k you"
  14. Nov 21, 2012
    Carrying on without Michael Scott would seem to be impossible, and season 8 - even if a later season may show otherwise- proves this statement is true.
  15. Nov 22, 2011
    This season has a lot to live up to without their main protagonist Michael Scott. The new CEO Robert California (James Spader) seems to be a good fit, with his interesting personality. The loss of Steve Carell hit the show pretty hard, but I believe James Spader gives the show some potential. This season may not be the best, but these tweaks should make the show just as entertaining overThis season has a lot to live up to without their main protagonist Michael Scott. The new CEO Robert California (James Spader) seems to be a good fit, with his interesting personality. The loss of Steve Carell hit the show pretty hard, but I believe James Spader gives the show some potential. This season may not be the best, but these tweaks should make the show just as entertaining over time. Overall, not that bad of a season, and James Spader gives the show some potential down the road. One thing stands clear, Steve Carell and his character Michael, will be missed. Expand
  16. Jan 28, 2012
    This show began to collapse even before Steve Carell left. Now that he is gone, however, the show is simply spinning in circles until it can think of a funny situations. The problem is that every character in the office had a relationship and worked off Michael Scott. Now they are all lost and we get stuck watching writers and actors try to create something out of nothing. It still gets aThis show began to collapse even before Steve Carell left. Now that he is gone, however, the show is simply spinning in circles until it can think of a funny situations. The problem is that every character in the office had a relationship and worked off Michael Scott. Now they are all lost and we get stuck watching writers and actors try to create something out of nothing. It still gets a 4 because some episodes seemed to hit a stride, but overall it's not looking good for Scranton's employees. Expand
  17. Jan 22, 2012
    It's taken me a really long time to jump on The Office bandwagon. In previous years, once in a while I'd find myself watching an episode with a friend, or on an airplane, but in the past, I never would have gone out of my way to watch. I've always found The Office cute and funny, but as a self proclaimed TV addict, it just wasn't good enough to make space for in my line up. I'm a hugeIt's taken me a really long time to jump on The Office bandwagon. In previous years, once in a while I'd find myself watching an episode with a friend, or on an airplane, but in the past, I never would have gone out of my way to watch. I've always found The Office cute and funny, but as a self proclaimed TV addict, it just wasn't good enough to make space for in my line up. I'm a huge Mindy Kaling fan (writer/Kelly Kapoor) and after reading her book, I decided to give it another shot, only to find, that I enjoy the show immensely. I watched all of the previous seasons on Netflix, and have found that there are often "lulls" and "jumps" in the series. In other words, occasionally, I find the story will fall flat and then pick back up. Season 8 has been wonderful thus far, after (in my opinion) a mid-late season 7 "lull". The show was fabulous with Michael Scott, but I'm beginning to favor an office in which Michael Scott is not present. This season gives the smaller characters a chance to further develop, and the "ensemble" feel is very endearing. Season 8 is definitely worth watching. Expand
  18. Oct 7, 2012
    10 episodes in and I still enjoy watching this season. It's not the best season of the show but it's certainly the best season the show has had in the past few years. It may not be as funny either but the show hasn't been really funny since the earlier seasons because it's been far more story line oriented then joke oriented like it was in the earlier seasons.

I really enjoy the

I really enjoy the character Robert California. He adds a fearful yet competent boss and despite that he is still rather funny to watch because he knows how to screw with his workers as well as motivate them. James Spader (the actor who plays California) gives a good performance and it's a shame he leaves after this season.

As for Michael Scott, I cared less and less about him as each season went on. He became less funny and more annoying so I was rather glad to see him go. I prefer the office without him.
  19. Feb 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Office minus Steve Carrel is not The Office. The past few seasons have been just ok, nothing compared to the magnificence of seasons 2 and 3. Once Carrell announced he would be leaving after season 7, I was hoping the series would end, and it would have been a perfect ending with Michael Scott leaving.

The introduction of James Spader has given the show a little life, but he is only present in about half of the season's shows so far, and he is not making a big enough impact to revive the show.

Most of the existing characters are watered down or almost unwatchable, with the only laughs coming from some of the auxiliary characters. Jim and Pam, once TV's most adorable couple, are boring and annoying now with no story lines of interest.

Andy Bernard stepped into the manager role, and try as he does, cannot match Michael Scott's hilariousness. Ed Helms is doing a pretty good job given the situation, but he nor James Spader nor anyone could replace Steve Carrell.

I will continue to watch, and patiently wait, for the finale this show should have gotten last season.
  20. Feb 12, 2012
    Refreshing change up for the office, a higher focus on having a bigger focus with an ensemble cast was a great idea. Not focusing on only one character (not a bash on Steve). focusing sets up for several great possibilities for this 8th season.
  21. Mar 18, 2012
    the office is a hilarious comedy for adults. it is a funny show to watch every Thursday @9:00 pm. i think it is one of the funniest shows and you will two
  22. Jan 14, 2013
    Comparing to seasons 1-7, this just isnt The Office of old, alot of the comedy, almost most of it left with Steve Carrell, the absence of Michael Scott is very evident, as an overall series this season is good but being The Office this is a very sub-par season
  23. Nov 20, 2012
    When getting into the 5th episode of season 8, I knew they should have ended the show after Carrel left. But know watching the ninth season, the series has improved read my review on their page.
tbd

No score yet - based on 2 Critics

1. Reviewed by: Rob Humanick
    Dec 7, 2011
    The show's been just barely treading water.
  2. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Nov 7, 2011
    James Spader, as the cryptic new CEO, is better. Everything he says sounds like a parable intended for stupid children. That's how to manage Dunder Mifflin. [15 Nov 2011, p.43]