The Sopranos : Season 3

• Series Premiere Date: Jan 10, 1999
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
9.3

1. Jan 16, 2012
    We get in the mind of a egotistical gangta criminal businessman through his quack to see his con game. The show is winding down into a being regular TV as other shows now...but nothing else compares to it yet
  2. Aug 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is probably the most consistently written season of the almost flawless Sopranos. More aspects of Tony's personality and opinions of different ethnic groups are revealed and the protection of his daughter's safety and honor are paramount. The season follows the life of Tony's old boss and best friend Jackie Aprile's son, Jackie Jr. The choices he makes and the fatherly advice he accepts weaves itself into Tony's life. Joe Pantoliano makes his debut as Ralph Cifaretto, a not-so-nice gangster who is a continuing problem for Tony. It may be the most re-watchable season of the most re-watchable series ever made. Episode 11: Pine Barrens remains one of the most celebrated episodes in TV history. And Episode 6: University is one of its most controversial. Every episode is like a movie because the quality of acting and directing, guided by impeccable casting is so masterfully done. Tony runs into a new girlfriend, played by Annabella Sciorra, that turns out being...well...complicated, and reminds him of another family member. The show is so good that I only compare episodes and seasons of The Sopranos to one another. There has never been a show where every episode are this good. Breaking Bad is the only show that is close and even that doesn't have the quality of writing, acting, or directing across the board that The Sopranos does. Standout episodes: Every single one of them. I am being serious. It is that good. Watch The Sopranos and then watch it again 20 times like I have. You pick up something new every time. The Sopranos is The Godfather and Citizen Kane of TV. Expand
  3. Jul 19, 2013
    Every season of the sopranos is getting a 10 from me, along with the wire?

you ask me why? because i dont have an 11 button. along with the wire, one of the shows that completely revolutionised television. there are others that can be compared, even favourably, and there are forerunners and worthy successors, but these two shows pretty much dropped the bomb on tv. the sopranos is
    Every season of the sopranos is getting a 10 from me, along with the wire?

you ask me why? because i dont have an 11 button.

the sopranos is better than the wire for me, but its an apples and oranges thing. this show is endlessly fascinating, incredibly rich, and effortlessly reflective of america itself. the wire further deconstructed the episodic shackles of television, and the idiot drive to pacify an audience, but the sopranos owned the narrative perspective, and the cynical portrait of the larger world it is set in. we got to know the city of omars baltimore real well from watching the wire. but tonys america is the world we are living in.
  4. Feb 4, 2014
    Esta tercera temporada baja el ritmo con respecto a su increible segunda temporada, pero aun asi es un aliciente y episodio tras episodio se vuelve cada vez mejor.
  5. Apr 10, 2016
    Kelli Aprile: "Jesus Christ, look at who our father was! My brother wasn't killed by some drug dealer! He was killed by some fat f**k in see-through socks."

This took me awhile, but here it is. Season 3 of The Sopranos was freaking great just like how I expected it to be. While it's not on the same level of outstanding as season one & two (In my opinion), but it's still a great season with lots to like with it's characters, story and actors. There's a lot in this season that actually did better than the last two seasons, but there's some things that this season didn't do so well. So lets dive in.

Tony Soprano is known for being one of the best anti-hero of all time. He's right up there with Walter White -'Breaking Bad', Frank Underwood – 'House of Cards', Hannibal Lecter – 'Hannibal' and Dexter Morgan – 'Dexter'. Even the most despicable things Tony has done in this season, you still can't help but to like the guy. The reason why I'm bringing this up now and not the last two seasons is because I think this is the season we finally have a full gasp of what Tony is as a character. Imagine a villain who isn't fully aware that he is a villain, but thinks he's a good person and everything that he dose is for the right reasons, and that right there is basically Tony. We also see an other side of him that we understand how Tony's emotion works or the reason why he's so cold at times. Jame Gandolfini delivered a beautiful performance this season, as he always adds new things to his character in every season and making the word 'character development' very relevant in this show. Just like what I said in my season 2 review, James was brilliant and I'm likely going to say that again for my season 4 review, but that's the thing, I'm seriously running out of things to say for this guy, as he's always terrific in everything.

The one thing I absolutely need to praise this season is how engaging it was. All of it has to do with the writing, as it was really terrific and well written for a show like this. This is TV at it's finest and this is also David Chase at his finest of writing.

Some of the performances was pretty good from the cast, but if I had to pick out a weak performance from any of the cast it would be Steven Van Zandt as Silvio Dante. He wasn't awful or terrible, but compared him to the other actors, he really dose stand out as the weakest out of all of them. He didn't do too bad in the past season but for some reason he stuck out like a sore thumb in this season. He just has the same boring facial expression in every scene he's in and it's very distracting after awhile. It's not until I found out that Steven Van Zandt wasn't an actor before he started the show but a musician (and it really shows). But who knows, he might improve later on in the seasons, as that has happened before and I seriously hope I'm right on that.

I already brought up the unfortunate death of Nancy Marchand in my last review, as the episode "Funhouse" was her final TV performance. She died before season 3 could even start filming, so Writer David Chase decided there should be one final conversation with Tony before Livia gets killed off. The dialogue from previous episodes was pieced together for Livia's half of the conversation, and state- of-the-art CGI effects were used to place old footage of her face on a body double, but it's some of the worse looking CGI I've ever seen. I know it wasn't easy for them to do, since it took them two weeks to put all together and the fact that Nancy was a very major character in the show, but the visual effect's are so noticeable and quite laughable. The lighting on her face doesn't match the light of the room or the other characters in the room with her. It was pretty awful.

Overall The Sopranos: Season 3 is a great season with many amazing episodes that makes this show as great as it is. Time for Season 4.

1. Cleveland Plain Dealer
    Reviewed by: Mark Dawidziak
    Jul 19, 2013
    HBO made four of the 13 new episodes available for review. Taken as a whole, they stand as compelling proof that the series' creator and executive producer, David Chase, still is in complete control of the brilliantly constructed crime saga. [4 Mar 2001]
  2. Orlando Sentinel
    Reviewed by: Hal Boedeker
    Jul 19, 2013
    The show steadfastly avoids romanticizing characters who are repellent, violent and selfish, and it offers a dark, unsparing vision of family life. [4 Mar 2001]
  3. Philadelphia Inquirer
    Reviewed by: Jonathan Storm
    Jul 19, 2013
    The [first episode], along with two other episodes sent to critics, dispels any of last year's feeling that The Sopranos was losing a little steam. They demonstrate a constant ability to surprise. [4 Mar 2001]