The Tudors : Season 1

Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4
6.8

1. GabrielaL
    Apr 15, 2008
    Great costumes, and setting; fantastic cast; but one can not ignore the enormous historical inaccuracy and Rhys-Meyers limited interpretation skills.
  2. B.O.
    Apr 2, 2007
    This should serve as a nice replacement for those disapointed with HBO's Rome coming to an end.
  3. D.W.
    Jun 13, 2007
    I know this is supposed to be a rich costume piece and the clothes are wonderful. But how much hard would it have been to flesh out the characters, showing us motivation outside the stick figure obvious? There's no context for their behavior and the actors seem to be just moving through their lines, such as they are, without giving any reason to care about them. By the final episode, I know this is supposed to be a rich costume piece and the clothes are wonderful. But how much hard would it have been to flesh out the characters, showing us motivation outside the stick figure obvious? There's no context for their behavior and the actors seem to be just moving through their lines, such as they are, without giving any reason to care about them. By the final episode, only the set was interesting and that wasn't enough to prevent my attention from wandering from the screen to a more interesting book about Henry's six wives. Expand
  4. CarolineS
    Apr 20, 2008
    It's like Desperate Housewives with bodices. Anne Boleyn is sly and saucy but never brilliant. And "Margaret" Tudor because we're all too stupid to be able to comprehend that there were two different Mary Tudors? Everything out of order, so much invented for no purpose. This is horseshit, not history. The real story of Heny VIII is magnificent as it stands. There really is no It's like Desperate Housewives with bodices. Anne Boleyn is sly and saucy but never brilliant. And "Margaret" Tudor because we're all too stupid to be able to comprehend that there were two different Mary Tudors? Everything out of order, so much invented for no purpose. This is horseshit, not history. The real story of Heny VIII is magnificent as it stands. There really is no need to "fix it" for mass consumption. Expand
  5. JosephP.
    May 22, 2007
    I can't understand why Hollywood changes history. Margaret was married to the King of Scots - it was Mary who was married to the King of France (not Portugal) and then married Brandon. Also, they killed of Henry Fitzroy too young, he lived to 17. Otherwise, I am really enjoying the show.
  6. JenniferH
    Nov 20, 2009
    If so many viewers realize there is a lot of historical inaccuracy, maybe we are not as stupid as they think. Why not educate with historical facts which are quite juicy enough? The series lacks depth of character. So much overt sex can be tiring, as if we all had one-track minds and I don't believe we have.
  7. scottT
    Sep 24, 2009
    Juvenile script, overacting (particularly Rhys-Meyers) and shallow. Fails to even bother exploring the enormous dynamics of the period. The sex is great, but essentially it's a soap opera.
  8. HélèneF
    Dec 16, 2007
    The rating is mostly for the magnificent costumes and th e sets The show is slow & more like a soap opera with thin beauties pushing up their boobs. Obviously made to appeal to the masses leaving out all the best history has to offer us.
  9. JamesP.
    May 21, 2007
    I thought I tuned in to a documentary about the local Renaissance Pleasure Faire. What a ridiculous and boring show. "Henry" is but a sniveling brat, spineless and wimpy, whose only claim to fame is a stern face when needed. The priests all look as if they've got serious constipation issues and the women are typical dreamy, skinny models who can't act and aren't convincing I thought I tuned in to a documentary about the local Renaissance Pleasure Faire. What a ridiculous and boring show. "Henry" is but a sniveling brat, spineless and wimpy, whose only claim to fame is a stern face when needed. The priests all look as if they've got serious constipation issues and the women are typical dreamy, skinny models who can't act and aren't convincing for a second. The whole show could be ended if someone would just invent the pacifier and stick one in Henry's mouth. So when do the wives start getting their heads cut off? Guess I'll have to wait until next year to find out. But I won't be watching, I already know what happens. Expand
  10. WIlliamD
    Jan 23, 2008
    The first season seemed so protracted. In the end, Hanry still did not get his final answer nor his reaction to it. It was more of a study of Wolsey and maybe Catherine than Henry. The actor who played Henry was terribly miscast in an otherwise brilliant emsemble of actors making their roles believable. Wonderful re-creation for the eyes, however, of that time period wiht a little poetic license.
  11. Feb 5, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Horrible. Barely covers anything historical, and even that is dumbed down so much that it becomes completely boring. Just an excuse to watch JRM having sex. Oh, spoiler alert, I doubt Henry VIII bothered with positions or doing anything for the girl. just sayin. Expand
  12. JennT.
    Mar 28, 2007
    The actors are wonderful, but the story is slow and plodding.
  13. PuritaSanDiego
    Apr 12, 2007
    I love it. Jonathan Rhys Meyers is simply excellent
  14. AlishaM.
    Jun 27, 2007
    Completely Addicting, Natalie Dormer & Johnathan Rhys Meyers Chemistry is compelling and sexy. The show is absolutely wonderful from the great story it's telling to the beautiful costumes. If you haven't been watching it...start catching up...it's worth it!
  15. Jun 6, 2014
    It is like ... or actually my conviction is: Michael Hirst is trying to celebrate every cultures' 'greatness' ...
    And now he is expression my cultures' greatness, legends, mythes and much, much more!

For me! Michael Hirst, and the actors, and the Co. behind ... proving top class "new morden" art!

Deepest respect, if my conviction is true!

(review's source: "Vikings", then "The Borgias")
  16. CarolynS.
    Mar 30, 2007
    Henry VIII for Dummies. Micheal Hirsh should've put a disclaimer in the credits. "Loosely based on the historical Tudors." Even the costumes are from another era.
  17. DanielleM
    Apr 16, 2007
    What a awesome new show. I didn't even have Showtime, but once I heard about The Tudors I couldn't help but order it, and I'm glad I did. Johnathan Rys-Meyers does an amazing job. I'm already addicted! Best new show since The Sopranos!!!!!
  18. KaseyS
    Jun 11, 2007
    Entertaining soap opera using famous names, but a bit of historical accuracy wouldn
  19. ChristianO
    Aug 3, 2007
    WooHoo! This was the show. I could not wait to see what was going to happen each week. Poor Woolsey.
  20. SusanL.
    Mar 1, 2008
    I can't get over the non-Tudor hair. It's all just so wrong.
  21. CalebC.
    Oct 9, 2007
    A stellar start to what will be one of the best new shows. The acting and directing is perfect here.
  22. CherylR
    Apr 10, 2007
    I love this new show.I can't hardly wait for a new eposide each week.I wish it was on every day.I can't get enough of Jonathan Rhys Meyers.
  23. AC
    May 28, 2007
    This show is amazing! The actors and characters they play are excellent. Showtime really has something going for them now.
  24. GraziaB
    May 4, 2007
    Absolutely riveting and full of surprises--funny and sad. Why not put life in Henry? I just cant' wait for the next one. Gorgeous costumes and people! The stuff of dreams!
  25. KarenR
    May 8, 2007
    Love the show and the characters! Very interesting and entertaining. Great acting on all parts!
  26. TeenaP
    Mar 8, 2009
    I find the Tudors fascinating - but if you are looking for accuracy well of course a made for TV miniseries isn't the place to start looking.... If you look at the portraits of the six wives none of them were what I would call attractive - but then how would Hollywood keep the short attention span of it's shallow viewers if they hired unattractive people with no sex appeal to I find the Tudors fascinating - but if you are looking for accuracy well of course a made for TV miniseries isn't the place to start looking.... If you look at the portraits of the six wives none of them were what I would call attractive - but then how would Hollywood keep the short attention span of it's shallow viewers if they hired unattractive people with no sex appeal to play these roles? Most of us know the story - this isn't a history lesson - what pulled me in and what I enjoyed most was the chemistry between Dormer and JRM. Now that she is gone I just don't know if the series will have the same appeal, although I do enjoy watching JRM; he is phenomenal actor. He may not be a look-a-like, but I think he has captured the quintessence of Henry VIII in his portrayal of that tyrannical misogynistic man and I think the director has captured the essence of the era as well. Expand
  27. GabiC
    Apr 11, 2009
    The actors are beautiful, the costumes are beautiful, the acting is great, but the historical inaccuracies and the overly done sex is a downer.
  28. bobbiepl
    Apr 14, 2009
    I have read every book I could get my hands on abt The Tudors - This series is basically accurate to what respectible historians have written - I am in my 70's and totally in love w/JRM-so bad he's good!
  29. CcHh
    Aug 15, 2009
    Wonderful. Engrossing. Superb acting. Such attention to detail.
  30. Natalieo
    Oct 8, 2007
    Nothing saves the fact that they get so much wrong historically

Less lurid than HBO's Rome, yet still quite the pageant of pomp and friskiness, it's a throwback to the old-fashioned miniseries of yore, spiced with pay-cable frankness.
  2. People Weekly
    Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    The show is a lusty soap opera that aspires to the pulsating, cutting-edge glamour of Cate Blanchett's Elizabeth. It's a little ham-fisted for that. [2 Apr 2007, p.37]
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    "The Tudors" is not the great series that it might have been, but it's certainly a watchable and diverting one.