• Network: Showtime
  • Series Premiere Date: Apr 1, 2007
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4
8.1

1. Nov 28, 2014
    Actually a critic score of 64 is a good evidence that critics are a bunch of old men with bone problems who spent too much time in the old world and can no longer understand whats happening,, this series is not great but it is good and very good actually.
  2. Oct 8, 2014
    If its historical accuracy you're looking for then you won't find it here. That said the Tudors is still a good watch - some of the cast choices are not great and the look and feel of Tudor England is never quite captured. It has a 'generic ITV drama' feel more than anything else.

Henry is well acted, but as the show goes on his famous historic look is also never really captured. It's close, but he is so iconic that close doesn't really cut it in this instance.

All that aside I really enjoyed it and it was great re-visiting so many of my history lessons from school (albeit a tiny bit dramatised) - Ha!

I'd still highly recommend this - it still draws you in and the story of Henry VIII is never going to disappoint
  3. Jun 6, 2014
    It is like ... or actually my conviction is: Michael Hirst is trying to celebrate every cultures' 'greatness' ...
    And now he is expression my cultures' greatness, legends, mythes and much, much more!

For me! Michael Hirst, and the actors, and the Co. behind ... proving top class "new morden" art!

Deepest respect, if my conviction is true!

(review's source: "Vikings", then "The Borgias")
  4. Jun 17, 2012
    Excellent production and cast! This is a beautifully dramatized series of the most well known British monarchs of all time. The political and religious turmoil of the period is integrated beautifully and the pace of the show is great.
  5. Feb 17, 2012
    This series is outrageously inaccurate, the l, therefore, unintenionally funny.
    Henry was a tall, red-haired, blue eyed man. He was famous for his fair complexion.
    As was his daughter Elizabeth. The actor portraying Henry is a small, dark-haired Jew - in fact, most of the cast appears to be Jewish. . Blatant falsification of history. Henry would have beheaded this little impostor
    This series is outrageously inaccurate, the l, therefore, unintenionally funny.
    As was his daughter Elizabeth.
    Blatant falsification of history.
    Henry would have beheaded this little impostor very quickly. Producers spent a bundle on costumes which is the only thing that is good here - photography ain't bad either.
    The sexual content is revolting - especially the scene between two men - This series was made for sexual and violent content, it has nothing to do with history and having Henry ask "Says who?" when it was pointed out to him that his horse couldn't jump over a wide creek was very funny.
    Not to mention some of his courtiers fleeing from one thing or another calling out to each other:" I'm outta here."
    This series is strictly fiction.
    Enough already!
  6. Apr 15, 2011
    Despite some historical inconsistencies, this tv show is well designed, sometimes a little too slow and too much dialogue which can sometimes make lose interest of the viewer.
  7. Feb 8, 2011
    I have read some of the reviews of The Tudors, both good and bad and feel compelled to share my views. i have just finished the second series, in tears with my wife next to me watching the beheading of Anne Boleyn. We have been so compelled by this dramatic adaptation of the lives of Henry VIII and his court that we have forsaken precious sleep to watch an episode or two each night.I have read some of the reviews of The Tudors, both good and bad and feel compelled to share my views. i have just finished the second series, in tears with my wife next to me watching the beheading of Anne Boleyn. We have been so compelled by this dramatic adaptation of the lives of Henry VIII and his court that we have forsaken precious sleep to watch an episode or two each night. The story is so well written, and the characters so well portrayed, that we have actually researched the facts of Henry's court in order to further our understanding of the events that hold us at their mercy in this production. We have found that the authors have taken some dramatic license with the facts, but we don't mind because the Showtime production is simply so engaging. I have read that the costumes may not be exactly accurate, and that the dialogue may be sophomoric at times. Honestly, I cannot say that i noticed these faults. More importantly, there are moments of genius in The Tudors that one rarely sees on television. The final scene of the last episode of the second season is one of these moments: Henry, sitting at a banquet table moments after the decapitation of his wife Anne, is offered tented serving tray (that I assumed was the head of the Queen). He removes the elaborate tent to reveal a stuffed swan surrounding a baked pie. He rips the wing off the swan and plunges his hand with cannibalistic fervor into the pie, then stuffs his laughing mouth with the wet meat....
    The story is told in a Dickensian manner, each episode full of unfinished business. This is what I want to watch when I spend my precious time in front of the TV. It is accurate enough, beautifully costumed, well acted, and skillfully told. Visually it is generally well done, but some of the computer generated graphics are a bit obvious. I don't understand some of the critics who state that the characters aren't flesh out and that the motivation for their behavior is lacking. The Tudors took 2 seasons just to get through Henry's second wife. The characters are about as well fleshed out as a dramatic piece can make them, and they are generally not 2 dimensional at that. Watch a few episodes, read the "real" history so that you aren't caught in an inaccuracy at your next **** party, and see if you aren't compelled to watch more!
  8. Feb 5, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Horrible. Barely covers anything historical, and even that is dumbed down so much that it becomes completely boring. Just an excuse to watch JRM having sex. Oh, spoiler alert, I doubt Henry VIII bothered with positions or doing anything for the girl. just sayin. Expand
  9. Jan 11, 2011
    Although the show may lack many historical facts, as interesting as they are, I enjoyed The Tudors for what it is, which in my opinion is an entertaining show, with beautiful (if inaccurate) costumes, beautiful stets and on the whole sterling acting and have been totally addicted to it. I am slightly baffled that when Steven Waddington (Buckingham, season 1) walked into the casting roomAlthough the show may lack many historical facts, as interesting as they are, I enjoyed The Tudors for what it is, which in my opinion is an entertaining show, with beautiful (if inaccurate) costumes, beautiful stets and on the whole sterling acting and have been totally addicted to it. I am slightly baffled that when Steven Waddington (Buckingham, season 1) walked into the casting room they chose not to cast him as Henry ( I personally think it would have been better than JRM - however good he may be) but then I suppose given the rest of the show, it clear the aim of it's creators wasn't to produce some sort historical docu-drama. But that aside (and the strange name swapping which confused me more than if they'd had two Mary Tudors) I think it's an entirely enjoyable series and well worth watching, providing you aren't looking for a history lesson in the Tudors, but then and again there are always books for that. Expand
  10. Aug 22, 2010
    For what this show aspires to be, it does a good job. It isn't by any means a perfectly accurate portrayal of historical facts but it still follows the basic truths of who all the characters were with respect to eachother. They got all the names right. Of course they had to fill in the gaps with guesswork and falsehoods to keep people entertained. It is after all just a TV show, andFor what this show aspires to be, it does a good job. It isn't by any means a perfectly accurate portrayal of historical facts but it still follows the basic truths of who all the characters were with respect to eachother. They got all the names right. Of course they had to fill in the gaps with guesswork and falsehoods to keep people entertained. It is after all just a TV show, and not a historical biography. Overall I thought it was a pleasure to watch just for the performances of the characters. Jonathan Rhys-Meyers was perfect for the role of Henry. Expand
  11. Aug 16, 2010
    Brillian Tosh...History is anachronistic at points and it was always clear that all Michael Hurst really wanted to write about was Anne Boleyn, so the series in Seasons One and Two could be better titled Henry & Anne - A Postmodern Romp. Seasons Three and Four fall off a little and it plods through three episodes beofre a good finale.

Treat it as Dynasty with Cod Pieces and fun stuff

Treat it as Dynasty with Cod Pieces and fun stuff and its great. Treat it as a Simon Schama lecture and you are bound to hate it.
  12. JenniferH
    Nov 20, 2009
    If so many viewers realize there is a lot of historical inaccuracy, maybe we are not as stupid as they think. Why not educate with historical facts which are quite juicy enough? The series lacks depth of character. So much overt sex can be tiring, as if we all had one-track minds and I don't believe we have.
  13. scottT
    Sep 24, 2009
    Juvenile script, overacting (particularly Rhys-Meyers) and shallow. Fails to even bother exploring the enormous dynamics of the period. The sex is great, but essentially it's a soap opera.
  14. CcHh
    Aug 15, 2009
    Wonderful. Engrossing. Superb acting. Such attention to detail.
  15. donnab
    Jul 16, 2009
    I love this show!!! I hope the 4th season isn't the last. Surely Henry VIII (Jonathan Rhys Meyers) must eventually die, but, keep the series going...move onto the rest of the family. Don't know if they would be as captivating as Jonathan Rhys Meyers or Hnery Cavill, but I'm willing to give it a shot! Love this show!
  16. bobbiepl
    Apr 14, 2009
    I have read every book I could get my hands on abt The Tudors - This series is basically accurate to what respectible historians have written - I am in my 70's and totally in love w/JRM-so bad he's good!
  17. GabiC
    Apr 11, 2009
    The actors are beautiful, the costumes are beautiful, the acting is great, but the historical inaccuracies and the overly done sex is a downer.
  18. TeenaP
    Mar 8, 2009
    I find the Tudors fascinating - but if you are looking for accuracy well of course a made for TV miniseries isn't the place to start looking.... If you look at the portraits of the six wives none of them were what I would call attractive - but then how would Hollywood keep the short attention span of it's shallow viewers if they hired unattractive people with no sex appeal to I find the Tudors fascinating - but if you are looking for accuracy well of course a made for TV miniseries isn't the place to start looking.... If you look at the portraits of the six wives none of them were what I would call attractive - but then how would Hollywood keep the short attention span of it's shallow viewers if they hired unattractive people with no sex appeal to play these roles? Most of us know the story - this isn't a history lesson - what pulled me in and what I enjoyed most was the chemistry between Dormer and JRM. Now that she is gone I just don't know if the series will have the same appeal, although I do enjoy watching JRM; he is phenomenal actor. He may not be a look-a-like, but I think he has captured the quintessence of Henry VIII in his portrayal of that tyrannical misogynistic man and I think the director has captured the essence of the era as well. Expand
  19. CarolineS
    Apr 20, 2008
    It's like Desperate Housewives with bodices. Anne Boleyn is sly and saucy but never brilliant. And "Margaret" Tudor because we're all too stupid to be able to comprehend that there were two different Mary Tudors? Everything out of order, so much invented for no purpose. This is horseshit, not history. The real story of Heny VIII is magnificent as it stands. There really is no It's like Desperate Housewives with bodices. Anne Boleyn is sly and saucy but never brilliant. And "Margaret" Tudor because we're all too stupid to be able to comprehend that there were two different Mary Tudors? Everything out of order, so much invented for no purpose. This is horseshit, not history. The real story of Heny VIII is magnificent as it stands. There really is no need to "fix it" for mass consumption. Expand
  20. GabrielaL
    Apr 15, 2008
    Great costumes, and setting; fantastic cast; but one can not ignore the enormous historical inaccuracy and Rhys-Meyers limited interpretation skills.
  21. LR.
    Mar 3, 2008
    I've watched this series three times; first to see what happens, and then to think about the meaning of the story. Although the characters seem stereotyped, the details of the settings and some of the connections we are invited to make caused me to think about the significance of this period and how it still affects us today. I particularly liked the representation of Thomas More as I've watched this series three times; first to see what happens, and then to think about the meaning of the story. Although the characters seem stereotyped, the details of the settings and some of the connections we are invited to make caused me to think about the significance of this period and how it still affects us today. I particularly liked the representation of Thomas More as "not a saint." I did not know that he had burned six people for heresy (true). I'm not going to subscribe to Show Time, but I do want to find out what is going to happen next. Expand
  22. SusanL.
    Mar 1, 2008
    I can't get over the non-Tudor hair. It's all just so wrong.
  23. WIlliamD
    Jan 23, 2008
    The first season seemed so protracted. In the end, Hanry still did not get his final answer nor his reaction to it. It was more of a study of Wolsey and maybe Catherine than Henry. The actor who played Henry was terribly miscast in an otherwise brilliant emsemble of actors making their roles believable. Wonderful re-creation for the eyes, however, of that time period wiht a little poetic license.
  24. HélèneF
    Dec 16, 2007
    The rating is mostly for the magnificent costumes and th e sets The show is slow & more like a soap opera with thin beauties pushing up their boobs. Obviously made to appeal to the masses leaving out all the best history has to offer us.
  25. CalebC.
    Oct 9, 2007
    A stellar start to what will be one of the best new shows. The acting and directing is perfect here.
  26. Natalieo
    Oct 8, 2007
    Nothing saves the fact that they get so much wrong historically
  27. AlyA.
    Aug 22, 2007
    I loved this show. The only problem was I don't have the network its on and therefore have not seen all of the episode, but I am trying to continue to see the rest of the season.
  28. ChristianO
    Aug 3, 2007
    WooHoo! This was the show. I could not wait to see what was going to happen each week. Poor Woolsey.
  29. AlexandraB.
    Jun 28, 2007
    Jonathan Rhys Meyers is totally hot. But beside that, the show is beautifully acted, staged, art directed and costumed. Cannot get enough of this type of show.
  30. AlishaM.
    Jun 27, 2007
    Completely Addicting, Natalie Dormer & Johnathan Rhys Meyers Chemistry is compelling and sexy. The show is absolutely wonderful from the great story it's telling to the beautiful costumes. If you haven't been watching it...start catching up...it's worth it!
  31. D.W.
    Jun 13, 2007
    I know this is supposed to be a rich costume piece and the clothes are wonderful. But how much hard would it have been to flesh out the characters, showing us motivation outside the stick figure obvious? There's no context for their behavior and the actors seem to be just moving through their lines, such as they are, without giving any reason to care about them. By the final episode, I know this is supposed to be a rich costume piece and the clothes are wonderful. But how much hard would it have been to flesh out the characters, showing us motivation outside the stick figure obvious? There's no context for their behavior and the actors seem to be just moving through their lines, such as they are, without giving any reason to care about them. By the final episode, only the set was interesting and that wasn't enough to prevent my attention from wandering from the screen to a more interesting book about Henry's six wives. Expand
  32. BILLYEP.
    Jun 12, 2007
    I love this show...the King needs a spicy wife as the queen is too dull and boring!
  33. KaseyS
    Jun 11, 2007
    Entertaining soap opera using famous names, but a bit of historical accuracy wouldn
  34. AC
    May 28, 2007
    This show is amazing! The actors and characters they play are excellent. Showtime really has something going for them now.
  35. JanB.
    May 22, 2007
    Henry was miscasted. The man who played Buckingham (executed) should have played Henry. Guess he was not famous enough - but would have been a better Henry. Brandon is devine. The rest of the cast is wonderful.
  36. JosephP.
    May 22, 2007
    I can't understand why Hollywood changes history. Margaret was married to the King of Scots - it was Mary who was married to the King of France (not Portugal) and then married Brandon. Also, they killed of Henry Fitzroy too young, he lived to 17. Otherwise, I am really enjoying the show.
  37. JamesP.
    May 21, 2007
    I thought I tuned in to a documentary about the local Renaissance Pleasure Faire. What a ridiculous and boring show. "Henry" is but a sniveling brat, spineless and wimpy, whose only claim to fame is a stern face when needed. The priests all look as if they've got serious constipation issues and the women are typical dreamy, skinny models who can't act and aren't convincing I thought I tuned in to a documentary about the local Renaissance Pleasure Faire. What a ridiculous and boring show. "Henry" is but a sniveling brat, spineless and wimpy, whose only claim to fame is a stern face when needed. The priests all look as if they've got serious constipation issues and the women are typical dreamy, skinny models who can't act and aren't convincing for a second. The whole show could be ended if someone would just invent the pacifier and stick one in Henry's mouth. So when do the wives start getting their heads cut off? Guess I'll have to wait until next year to find out. But I won't be watching, I already know what happens. Expand
  38. DarolynO
    May 20, 2007
    It has the best costumes and story line, with such intensity that I have watched in a long time.
  39. LibbyR.
    May 16, 2007
    Barely watchable. He's not a credible Henry VIII -- he's neurotic, scared, does not emanate an ability to govern and unite a country, skinny, little, no hair -- and Henry had hair! Neal is good as Wolsey. But it's lacks historical veracity. Good grief; the actual historical facts are fascinating enough. Why did they have to go change them?!
  40. KarenR
    May 8, 2007
    Love the show and the characters! Very interesting and entertaining. Great acting on all parts!
  41. GraziaB
    May 4, 2007
    Absolutely riveting and full of surprises--funny and sad. Why not put life in Henry? I just cant' wait for the next one. Gorgeous costumes and people! The stuff of dreams!
  42. Anonymous
    Apr 19, 2007
    I dont have showtiome but my Dish let me have a viewing on the first two episodes, i purchased showtime just to see this show, it is superband Johnathan Rhys Meyers puts on an astounding performance, nicely done Showtime
  43. DanielleM
    Apr 16, 2007
    What a awesome new show. I didn't even have Showtime, but once I heard about The Tudors I couldn't help but order it, and I'm glad I did. Johnathan Rys-Meyers does an amazing job. I'm already addicted! Best new show since The Sopranos!!!!!
  44. PuritaSanDiego
    Apr 12, 2007
    I love it. Jonathan Rhys Meyers is simply excellent
  45. CherylR
    Apr 10, 2007
    I love this new show.I can't hardly wait for a new eposide each week.I wish it was on every day.I can't get enough of Jonathan Rhys Meyers.
  46. AlanE.
    Apr 3, 2007
    I'm tired of watching a bunch of pretty people romping around the tv. If Henry VIII was so good looking what did they do to his portraits to make him look so different. I'm tired of shirt opened, pretty looking guys and women who don't look real either.
  47. B.O.
    Apr 2, 2007
    This should serve as a nice replacement for those disapointed with HBO's Rome coming to an end.
  48. CarolynS.
    Mar 30, 2007
    Henry VIII for Dummies. Micheal Hirsh should've put a disclaimer in the credits. "Loosely based on the historical Tudors." Even the costumes are from another era.
  49. JennT.
    Mar 28, 2007
    The actors are wonderful, but the story is slow and plodding.

1. Reviewed by: Matt Roush
    Less lurid than HBO's Rome, yet still quite the pageant of pomp and friskiness, it's a throwback to the old-fashioned miniseries of yore, spiced with pay-cable frankness.
    The show is a lusty soap opera that aspires to the pulsating, cutting-edge glamour of Cate Blanchett's Elizabeth. It's a little ham-fisted for that. [2 Apr 2007, p.37]
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    "The Tudors" is not the great series that it might have been, but it's certainly a watchable and diverting one.