• Network: AMC
  • Series Premiere Date: Oct 31, 2010
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5
7.1

1. Mar 18, 2014
    It's very difficult to write a review for a TV show's season that is very close to it's end, 2 episodes away in this case, especially when the season has not offered too much.

The first half of the season was quite uplifting but proved to be extremely boring until the very last episode of the first half with the Governor. The boring first half was easily worth all of the build-up to that episode so I can't complain all that much, but the second half has been really different.

For the first time in the show since it's inception, the characters are not together. And that's not my complaint because it's very important to the story, but the way that they go about this separation in the show itself, the style if you will, is not something I like. Each episode is centered on a small group making their way to a hopeful salvation, but I would much rather see bits of each groups struggles rather than watch 45 minutes worth of stale character development with maybe 5 minutes of actual action. I just feel that this half of the season is very drawn out, when there is a lot of fat that could be cut off the episodes to make way for different kinds of character developments.

I can't complain much because I understand that this is a build-up to something big because I know that The Walking Dead could never disappoint its huge fan base, and I'm sure it would turn my score into a 10/10, but for now it feels very dry and stale.

I will say though that the episode on March 16th is what saves this score from being any worse. I don't want to give anything away but that gut-wrenching episode was the best episode in this half of the season so far. For now I give this season an 8/10 and hopefully the rest of the season won't disappoint us.
  2. Mar 30, 2014
    The first half of the season was fine. The governor odyssey created some back story before the final fight. The second half of this season was awful. The group is all over the place, the focus seemed too intent on character development and less on moving the plot. The problem is we want plot movements and this season was full of everything but that. It appears that Season 5 has someThe first half of the season was fine. The governor odyssey created some back story before the final fight. The second half of this season was awful. The group is all over the place, the focus seemed too intent on character development and less on moving the plot. The problem is we want plot movements and this season was full of everything but that. It appears that Season 5 has some promise, but like "Heroes" before it, Walking Dead shouldn't try to change the model that got them here. Here's hoping TWD gets back to its roots. Expand
  3. May 27, 2014
    As a fan of the series, the first half was disappointing to say the least. It was slow, uninteresting, and actually made me fall asleep at times. So 1/10 for the first half. Now the second half: Amazing!!! After 3.5 seasons we finally see some real character development. Then theres that kick a## finale. Don't let the first half discourage you: watch it.
  4. Jun 24, 2014
    This season ruined The Walking Dead for me. They are still focusing on a character that is no longer interesting. Almost all of the 2nd half was filler. They could have all that travelling in one episode. If it weren't for the first half I would give it a 0. However the the 2nd half was so boring. The finale had no resolution at all and is completely unsatisfying.
  5. Jul 6, 2014
    Yet again another great season of The Walking Dead! The first half of the season was very suspenseful as many challenges hit the survivors. Unfortunately the 2nd half of the season wasn't too eventful until the last couple episodes. 8.5/10
  6. Jul 14, 2014
    I don't understand why The Walking Dead has yet to be nominated for any acting or best show emmys!!! The show, while gory and gruesome to some viewers is easily my favorite TV show. The writing is superb, the acting is very good and should at least win a few awards. Yes, they've been nodded at for special effects, but come on, this show is not just a gut fest(like most people think it is).I don't understand why The Walking Dead has yet to be nominated for any acting or best show emmys!!! The show, while gory and gruesome to some viewers is easily my favorite TV show. The writing is superb, the acting is very good and should at least win a few awards. Yes, they've been nodded at for special effects, but come on, this show is not just a gut fest(like most people think it is). The writing focuses on great topics like what makes us human, and how do we keep our humanity, etc. WHY ARE THEY NOT ROLLING IN EMMYS!!!! Expand
  7. Aug 19, 2014
    With solid writing, beautiful cinematography, and great acting all around, the fourth season of The Walking Dead further proves that the series is one of the greatest additions to the zombie genre.
  8. Sep 26, 2014
    This series gets as good as it's ever been halfway through this season. It finally reminded me why I love this show! .
  9. Sep 23, 2014
    #KillKarl

Never have I longed to have a character killed off in a series. Karl is hateful; While he isn't the worst of society his character is infected with the worst on his way to tedium.
  10. Oct 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This season is quite lame. Almost nothing big and exciting happens at all. About 4 deaths that were memorable and almost nothing else happened other than the mid season finale which was kind of lame but still not that exciting. It was quite disappointing overall. Expand
  11. Feb 16, 2015
    The start of the season is nothing more than mediocre, it gradually got better with the governor story arc; good story telling, shining a new light on the villain. The mid season finale was very good ... too bad they threw away all of that potential by making the remainder of the season 90% filler - the other 10% is great but there is no way in hell that a 5 to 10 minutes of good TV makesThe start of the season is nothing more than mediocre, it gradually got better with the governor story arc; good story telling, shining a new light on the villain. The mid season finale was very good ... too bad they threw away all of that potential by making the remainder of the season 90% filler - the other 10% is great but there is no way in hell that a 5 to 10 minutes of good TV makes up for the pointless walking in circles (literally). (Note there were two episodes after the midseason finale that were worth watching)

AMC's brilliant marketing tactics meant that the best and most tense parts of the episodes were usually on the end, and guess what? Cliff hangers! Now that you're amped to see what’s going to happen next, but guess what? Nothing does happen. Biggest blue balls in a TV series ever.

I spent most of the time having the walking dead season 4 plays in the background as filler and to kill time because there was nothing better on TV at the time. Honestly if you haven't stopped at season 2/3 then you should do so now, or watch a youtube summary, I Guarantee you it'll be more entertaining than this snore fest.

The only reason I'm giving this a 4 is because the first half of the season makes up for it. The writing is awful, and it gets worse each season. The walking dead season 4 contains maybe 2 to 3 good episodes, thank you amc.
  12. Feb 23, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I would say I would split season 4 into two names, the first half of the season would be called infection, and the second half would be called on the road. I remember season 4 clearly for those two main plots growing through this season. It's interesting to watch where our characters are now and how different the prison community is since the end of season 3. Also seeing the governor again with 2 episodes dedicated to his characters were really interesting, I enjoyed them and I liked how it didn't make him out to be this only crazed guy, but just a broken man. There's a couple episodes that really stood out in my mind and I like the themes they represented. Same thing with this season you have a lot of unnecessary hatred towards the show, while they're the minority they still do not really bring up good arguments towards their claims, again these are the kinds of people who claim they like character development till you find out they watch a terrible show that isn't written well what so ever. Expand
  13. Feb 23, 2015
    Damn I really loved this season it almost became hopeless for our characters in season 4. Man it's been so great. I've even reading the comics and I really love how similar the comic and tv show is and really awesome.

1. Reviewed by: Emily Nussbaum
    Jan 3, 2014
    The Walking Dead might have been one of [the ambitious modern horror series], using a grotesque story to go deep, letting grief and repulsion rile and unsettle us. Instead, it stumbles forward, disguised as prestige TV but devoid of a soul.
  2. Reviewed by: Tim Goodman
    Oct 14, 2013
    If the first two episodes are any indication, not only is the series not missing a beat, it's actually growing into itself to allow new storytelling possibilitie
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Hale
    Oct 11, 2013
    The challenge with any extended zombie narrative is striking the right balance between gut-munching action and undergraduate philosophy seminar, and the first two episodes this season are pretty talky.