• Network: AMC
  • Series Premiere Date: Oct 31, 2010
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5
8.4

1. Aug 20, 2011
    Excellently done zombie series, better than the comics IMHO. You really get a feel for the characters and their predicament. "Egg" from "This Life" is a decent lead. Season 1 final a tad disappointing.
  2. Oct 22, 2011
    Are you people on crack? Some of the worst acting I have ever seen, including one of the worst shows. Is this show a comedy? 'What would happen if Zombies took over the world, leaving nothing but white trash behind?" Seriously. W.T.F.
  3. Oct 8, 2011
    in the 80's people used to talk about Miss World being a television event. **** The Walking Dead IS the real deal that cannot be missed. Everything from the gripping story lines, the costumes, the makeup, the crazy distopian landscapes, the uncertainty of what will happen to main characters helps to create a buzz that's like nothing else of TV. It has renewed my faith in the brilliance of TV. Watch it. NOW. Expand
  4. Nov 7, 2011
    super exciting story line! Fast paced, no boring episode! I love the writing and direction of this show! I wish they will put more episodes into a series since the last time. I am definitely hooked and I can't wait for the next episode!
  5. Mar 11, 2012
    This is simply the best show on television right now. The series is perfect for anyone who likes zombies, as I do. It has a lot of suspense to it and the show is really developing a great following for a reason.

Best show on TV as of March 2012, period.
  6. Oct 1, 2013
    The Walking Dead Season 1 was an amazing start to a great new series based on a zombie apocalypse. Rarely done as a TV series the zombie genre has crawled its way back from the dead after several rehash comedic movies and have started a Renaissance which produced new seasons of this show among numerous games, movies, comics and other forms of media based on the Zombie genre. About the show itself however the characters, the storyline and the entire setting is quite nicely done. The emotion that is shown in the entire season is well put and despite the fact that some of the actors may not be well known upon the beginning of this show they will be known afterwards for years to come especially when newer seasons appear. The only main complaint in this season however is the length as the first season was only 6 episodes long. Expand
  7. Mar 14, 2012
    Survival horror is strong with this one. I have honestly never been more scared than since I have watched this show. Zombies may be slow, but they are freaking scary!
  8. Apr 1, 2012
    Although they should've added more episodes than just 6, on the other hand The Walking Dead: Season 1 is breath-taking and one of the best shows for Television.
  9. Mar 25, 2013
    I don't understand how this hasn't got a higher score. The best show on TV in my opinion. More gripping and emotionally involving than anything else out there right now.
  10. Jun 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Little good shows these days especially ones that aren't sitcoms. But this show just captures all the good and bad (which there is a lot of) about the zombie apocalypse and surprisingly there is so much main deaths and it feels like there is protective barrier that keeps rick and Carl safe no matter what which spoils the show a bit, but still its so good Norman reeds has gained a lot of attention for his outstanding role as daryl everyone's favourite, and now I'm waiting for season 4 ROLL ON OCTOBER Expand
  11. Mar 24, 2014
    Season 1 was brilliant then everything went downhill afterwards. .....................................................................................
  12. Sep 17, 2013
    I don't understand all the hype for this show. I saw the first episode among others, and the show is kind of dull, to be honest. It has a lot of shots of Andrew Lincoln's confused face as the events in the first episode unfold, and a lot of confusion and devices to move the story long. It isn't a bad show, per se, but it definitely doesn't deserve all the hype it's been getting.
  13. Feb 4, 2011
    Holy Sh** dude!!! This is fantastic. I could say more about this "TV SHOW" but i think that FrozenStar90 has already said it all, so if you can't make up your mind about watching this series PLEASE for pity sake do watch it because it will blow you away, have you glued to the couch and many more. Peace ;)
  14. Nov 2, 2010
    Basically a slow version of 28 Days later without the suspense. Visually the show delivers, but after an hour and a half it's a shame they couldn't develop a character I want to tune in for next week. I'm going to keep watching for now, but my expectations are pretty low.
  15. pps
    Nov 17, 2010
    i first watched this show thinking it would be the biggest crappfest on tv, mostly because i hate those horrible, unscary zombie movies with bad acting. but i was extremely surprised about how great it was, it kept you on the edge of your seat but also was truely about the characters, which really makes the show. i almost never like shows this much but it is really great, and makes me can't wait to see the next episode becaus the show takes its time but is also fast paced. Expand
  16. Dec 31, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In the first program you have a man wake up in an abandoned hospital with no living people, but a few dead people walking around. He manages to make it home to find his wife and kid missing, but signs they might still be alive. There's your set-up. What do you do to keep up the excitement? I'll tell you what you don't do. You don't then show the wife and kid safe and sound at a campground outside of town.

Then our cop hero has to move along but the only vehicle he can find is a horse. That's exciting, because a horse leaves him vulnerable to zombies and this sets up an exciting chase. Except the writers decide, "to hell with an exciting chase, let's kill the horse immediately and have the guy hole up in an impenetrable armoured tank."

I was looking forward to this series, but the acting isn't particularly good, is undermined by bad writing and both are further hobbled by a complete lack of suspense or tension. The characters are flat, introducing their one or two traits in their first moments (I'm a racist, and violent) and rest limply there, the only attempt at earning our interest is by having them share back-in-the-day stories; the characters chew over exposition instead of having conversations and seem largely unimpressed by the massive death around them. But where the show really fails is the inability to hold any tension. There are examples of this in every episode I've watched any bit of. I'm kind of mystified by the popularity of this program. After watching the premier and bits of the next two or three shows I was out of patience for it.
  17. Oct 12, 2011
    I really like the series but the first season was too short so we didn't have time to see the story to develop or to be emotionally attached to the characters. But the best thing about "The Walking Dead" is its humanistic and realistic side. We testify how people must to adapt to a new way of living, how they deal with the danger, death, and above all, how they have to count on one another in order to persevere. Expand
  18. Feb 16, 2012
    This is by far one of the best shows of all time. It ranks second on my list of best TV shows of all time behind only Firefly. There is so many things that I love with the show, the one that I love the most are the characters. You can actually see them grow and feel for them. This is not one of those unrealistic zombie shoot 'em show, this is a realistic survival show which is amazing. Every waking moment of this show I am on the edge of my seat anticipation whats going to happen next. Expand
  19. Feb 26, 2012
    I hated this show, i expected something scary or something with action but all they did was talk for 30 minutes until i turned it off. I'll stick to watching supernatural since that show actually has some action in it and not so much f***in talking. when zombies attack you dont talk for days
  20. Feb 28, 2013
    I finally gave in an watched the fist season of “The Walking Dead.” And you know what? It’s actually a really good show. The writing is strong and tackles themes of humanity, togetherness, and of survival/death. The show is incredibly involving and makes us care for each individual character. Actors do a great job and their performances are convincing. Not once do they lose sight of the character. It is not only a well acted or written show, but also a really well made one with high production values not normally seen on TV. From the make up to the use of special effects, it is really well put together.

The first two episodes are alright, but generally slowly paced a bit confusing to be honest. However, from episode 3 and onwards the show has you hooked. The emotions are there and the sense of isolation. Every time a character wonders off, you only hope they come back alive. A lot of emotional stuff happens towards the end of the season and to say that I wasn’t tearing up a bit would be a horrible lie. The season finally is really good and really tackles a lot of the main themes of the show such as survival and accepting death. The best thing about it is that it gets us excited for what’s to come.

Overall, “The Walking Dead” is a really great show with compelling characters and strong writing. It challenges its viewers without talking down to them. It has a lot of emotional moments, but doesn’t just bask in the melodrama. There are well paced moments of action, but above all else a great sense of suspense and isolated ambiance. I give it a really strong 4/5, great writing and relateable characters with exciting action.

I am super excited for the next season. I would have given it a higher rating, but I didn’t really care for the first two episodes. However, I am now officially a fan. Lets go season 2!
  21. Jul 5, 2012
    Simply put, this is one of the best TV series I have ever watched, for fans of zombies or just of a good TV show, utterly fantastic. The show centres around Rick Grimes, a sherrif who was shot before the zombies started attacking people, and his struggle to find his wife and help others, the pacing is brilliant and the story is just fantastic, a show which should not be missed. The zombies look great, and the settings are very well done too, with realistic looking zombies as opposed to ones in some movies which look terrible. If you haven't watched the show, you really should, its television at its finest. Expand
  22. Mar 18, 2013
    A very good pilot, an average first season, then it really got boring and repetitive.
    When I thought second season was terrible, third came and it went even worse.

This show is all about people arguing, they do nothing interesting, there is no real apocalyptic feeling watching it. I really did my best to keep watching it in the hope of it getting better, but I give up, this show is
    hopeless from directing to acting to the screenplay, I just can't watch it anymore, it's painful. Expand
  23. Nov 6, 2013
    I like the direction where this season is headed. Even though we spent all of last season with Rick's group hunkered down in the prison, it felt like a secure place to live, at least for now. Now, it feels like a prison and all that it implies. There was a bit of an Aushwitz feel to separating the sick from the non sick, and I'm sure there will be another outbreak soon. But like most, in the back of my mind, I keep thinking, where's the governor and when will he return??!! Expand
  24. Jun 4, 2013
    Great show. Provides a good balance between human drama and horror action. The acting is very good the effects are also great. The characters are all interesting and keep you interested for sure. This show can appeal to just about everyone. I would reccommend this in a heartbeat.
  25. Nov 30, 2010
    Finally, a weekly TV series that gives me my much needed zombie fix. AMC has totally knocked it out of the park with this original series. It's not just about zombies, and escaping from zombies, and the ultimate shootout in the end where one or two characters manage to live. This series is about how life changes in the zombie apocalypse. It's about the characters, and their unique perspective on life (and death), and even though the characters are so different they are truly very similar. This is an amazing show that brings real life and real characters to an otherwise quirky horror genre. Great show AMC, please just go ahead and renew the contracts and bring us seasons 3, 4, and 5. Expand
  26. Nov 12, 2011
    Very enjoyable show, guns are nice, atmosphere is amazing; and this was actually like a zombie apocalypse. The only downside is that there weren't that many episodes for this season and it ended too quickly. They should have made more. Instead of just putting it in front of you for 5 minutes, then you'll see it next year.
  27. Oct 31, 2010
    Just finished watching it. Wow, it was just as good as I expected it. Never was bored, I cared for the characters, the zombie effects were way better than I expected, I cant wait for the new episodes
  28. Jun 23, 2012
    The Walking Dead is not bad, but sometimes it's too corny and boring. The characters are pretty bad ... But sometimes it's nice. But Prison Break is another world.
  29. Apr 29, 2011
    I'm not a fan of zombie movies, but I liked this show right away. The first episode drew me in and I almost forgave Mr. Darabont for The Mist. Over the next three episodes though, I found the dialogue and some of the acting to be awkward and uncomfortably corny. I also find it funny that mostly the zombies are restricted to the usual slow limp, yet in one episode they were able to muster up a light jog (a disappointing, "C'Mon!" moment) while pursuing the good guys. The make up is for the most part awesome, but every once in a while you see a zombie that's just a guy with a pale face (a bed-wetting fanboy no doubt). Based on all the positive reviews, I really expected/wanted this show to be awesome. Some of it is - fresh-faced and fearless. Some of it isn't - like an upright, rotting corpse. Expand
  30. Nov 3, 2011
    It's not fun Zombie (Zombieland), it's more like 1968's Planet of the Apes in tone and kinda depressing. That's not a cut on the show, but a compliment. It says a lot about the world we live in.
  31. Nov 14, 2010
    I honestly can't find anything overwhelmingly unlikable about this show. The storyline is off to a good start. The characters are likable when they need to be. The blood and violence are intense, graphic, and very well done... but they don't use it as a crutch. All in all, this is probably the best new show I've seen in the last couple of years.
  32. Dec 8, 2010
    I haven't read the books which seems to be a problem for some of my friends, but maybe that is why I can love it for what it is. The human drama that unfolds is not only brought to life by the wonderful cast but the special effects are really great. The show features probably the best zombies I have ever seen on the screen. I do intend on reading the books soon but I think measuring a screen adaptation against the source material is unfair, just like Harry Potter films don't follow the books perfectly. Walking Dead is brilliant at what it does, it may be a bit deviant from the source material but that doesn't mean it cannot be appreciated for what it DOES do. Great show, I'm looking forward to the next season. Expand
  33. Nov 15, 2011
    A TV series about zombie survival sounds like a great idea but unfortunately the Walking Dead doesn't do much new that we haven't already seen on other movies or video games. The characters are nothing special or interesting and their actions seem unbelievable to their circumstances. The first 2 episodes arn't too bad but as the series unfolds it gets far too ridiculous. The props and costumes are good but the rest of the show is a missed opportunity. Expand
  34. Jun 24, 2011
    A Zombie Horror TV Show based in the Deep South? Sounds good to me! Unlike Boardwalk Empire, Walking Dead did not take forever and a day to develop its characters. In fact, it was the people, not the zombies that made this show compelling. But you get just enough Zombie action to keep you thrilled. Great show.
  35. Nov 23, 2011
    I'm not much of a Zombie fan. This Series, however, has blown me away. The Walking Dead is loaded with suspense and action in every episode. The plot is mysterious and exciting, which always keeps you on the edge of your seat. I easily recommend The Walking Dead to everyone! Watch it!
  36. Mar 15, 2012
    I originally rated this show a 10/10. That was on the first season. I downgraded it to a 7/10 after the disappointing second season. What happened? The show started with a bang. It was suspenseful, compelling and well-crafted. The short season helped the show to keep it snappy. Then the second season comes out, the setting changes to a farm, and everything goes downhill from there. Let me put it this way: If you watch Breaking Bad, imagine if every character in the show was Skyler White. The characters became whiny, sanctimonious and not very bright. A longer season didn't benefit the show, as every episode has filler of people whining nonstop until something happens. The show has turned into a cliched horror movie, with characters so stupid you root for the zombies to finish them off. I have read the comics, and it's not like that, so I hope the show gets better and I'm willing to improve my score if it does. Expand
  37. Dec 27, 2012
    It has a movie like feel to it. I must say, it really is a great series that captures one's interest. If you like plot, this is the one to go for. Hands down best of its genre out there in the media today.
  38. Mar 25, 2012
    This is a 10 out of 10. Acting is pretty good. Not slot of score but still. Story/adaption is great. It's so intense, it's just great. I think it was robbed in the Emmys. You couldn't ask for an even better beginning. Can't wait for the next season.
  39. Dec 15, 2012
    I'll give this a 9/10 because the pacing of the first part of the Second Season was way too sloppy, I understand the need of them discussing morals, and I like that, but the plot doesn't move forward during those 5-ish episodes, the first part is awesome and the school part too, but the plot just stays still.

I love this series, and now it has an antagonist which is badass, and I also
    loved how they would discuss morals in both the first and second season, this is going great Expand
  40. Aug 3, 2012
    I read the comics. I saw the trailers. I watched the pilot. AMC's adaptation of The Walking Dead was truly mindblowing. The first series follows the events of the first 8 comic books. From Rick awaking from his coma up until the attack on camp. Now when they changed bits, some drastically such as the CEDA encounter for the final two episodes I was worried but they pulled it off spectacularly and have given the TV show its own special place in an alternate setting to the comics (even if it does have a lot of the same characters). The cast are largely unknown to me but all are amazing at the role they play, bringing across the best interpretation of those well established characters possible. The Walking Dead is for any zombie fan or even people who like a good drama. A must watch by any means. Expand
  41. Apr 9, 2012
    AMC's "The Walking Dead" is an epic zombie series. It combines the scare everyone is after in a good zombie movie or show. While at the same time shows the hardships the characters go through living in a world where the dead have taken over, and now inhabit. It is bloody and brilliant, while at the same time having twists in the story leaving the viewers wanting more. "If you like bloody horror with plenty of zombies and suspense I would say this is the show for you!" Expand
  42. Aug 18, 2014
    Perhaps the most overrated TV show of the last 10-20 years.

Take away the "walkers" and this show would have flopped...badly, Its the zombie fanboy element that have allowed this show to continue, The characters are dull, not much happens besides the predictable and tension free zombie attacks, which happen numerous times every episode because the writers cannot think of many
    interesting things for the characters to do,and don't get me started on how dumb the characters are.

All in all it could be a decent show but the zombie "action" and lack of interesting plot elements kill it for me.
  43. Apr 28, 2013
    Best zombie apocalypse series. All the things happening makes you think about what's going to happen next. The cast is good, the performance of the actors are simply perfect for every situation, watch the 1st episode and be ready to watch all the others seasons!
  44. Oct 21, 2012
    The Walking Dead is engaging, it's intense and overall very entertaining. Although a short season, this is definitely a strong one. It sets the atmosphere and story really well, has some good characters, and some annoying ones but overall it's a good start to the show and way better than season two.
  45. Nov 9, 2013
    The Walking dead is one of the greatest series i've ever seen, only Breaking Bad is on same level. Right from actors, story, drama and character development its just great! Many think that there isnt enough action but then people dont understand what the walking dead is about. This show is about people and thats happens to them in when the world goes under.
  46. Mar 26, 2013
    serie fantástica, com muito desfechos inesperados e em um universo totalmente impensado anteriormente, um simbolo da cultura pop atual, e acho que se perpetuara em muitos tempos!
  47. Oct 23, 2013
    Season 1 of the Walking Dead was a great way to launch this epic zombie series. While the story isn't exactly original (due to it being based on zombies) it's still a great enjoyment. There are loveable characters, very hated characters and enough drama to keep it interesting. To me, what keeps the Walking Dead alive are all the great characters. We've gotten so attached to our favorite characters, whether it's our protagonist or our token black guy or our favorite redneck, we don't want to see them go and want to watch how their new lives in this zombie filled world unfold. Overall, the first season of the Walking Dead is a good watch and I'd highly recommend it. Expand
  48. Jun 14, 2013
    One of the most over rated tv shows in recent memory. It is still a decent show but some points make me cringe at how bad the acting is and the plot isn't the greatest. If The Walking Dead kept up with the awesomeness that was Pilot episode this would be a much better show. The Pilot was so well executed and the show just seemed to take a nose dive once Rick met up with the group. Seriously, go watch the Pilot and then compare it to a random episode. Expand
  49. May 11, 2014
    This isn't the worst thing on TV, but it's pretty awful. Everything is just at the bottom of its game: the writing, the acting, the special effects (apart from the make up). They don't need 16 episodes to tell a story where something happens maybe every 6 episodes and the rest is just filler. And in case you were wondering whether they're building to some great action set-piece or brilliantly scripted finale, no they're not. They've done this to me twice. Expand
  50. Jul 4, 2014
    One of my favourite TV series alongside Breaking Bad, this world of walkers has been beautifully created and the characters have actual personality rather than some TV series. Being based off of the comics, although it is good to see their pages come to life, for those who read them before watching the TV series already knew what was going to happen.
  51. Nov 11, 2013
    AMAZING. One of the best pilots ever. Episode #1 was scary going down the stairs thinking a zombie will come out at any time but the reason it was so awesome was the fact that nothing happened. Drama at its best, and I loved it. Felt like I was there.
  52. Dec 31, 2013
    Extremely overrated. Think about it for a minute, and how repetitive, slow, and poorly acted the show really is. Also, none of the characters are too interesting, they all just seem annoying. People don't understand that this is a disappointing show, because zombies are cool but the show makes them dull. Watch a movie like 28 Days Later and you'll see how zombies and zombie films/shows should be like. Expand
  53. Mar 11, 2014
    A very bad one, extremely slow history, you will see 1 or 2 things happen in every episode i give it a point because the production, the rest is garbage.
  54. Apr 28, 2014
    A pretty good start to a show. This show is pretty good nothing to spectacular but still an entertaining watch. I have only watched the first season and some of season 2 and I can say that this season is way better than season 2. There is a lot of gore and violence which I enjoy so I am entertained buy that. Some episodes are slow and boring but all in all a pretty good show.
  55. Jul 9, 2014
    I love this show but I don't see where it's headed. It's like the writers have reached a dead end. I feel like they keep going in circles and nothing interesting happened in the last few episodes of season 4.
  56. Aug 26, 2014
    I think this show is not that good, i mean all that is fun to see are the zombies and stuff, cause i mean nobody really care about the characters, they are just not so interesting. It's 4/10. Just my opinion.
  57. Oct 31, 2010
    Bloody brilliant. Amazingly paced, extremely well-acted, and wholly consuming. "The Walking Dead" will have me nailed to my couch for the next five episodes. Hands-down the best show or movie to feature zombies in a long, long time.
  58. Nov 12, 2010
    Wonderful. I have read 70 of the comics, so most of the plot has been ruined. However, AMC and Darabont included so many awesome points of embellishment to the meager beginnings of the series that the TV episodes stand on their own. This show is totally gripping. If you are a huge nerd, it can own your life. Since I am a huge nerd, I have no problems admitting I have not been this excited about any TV show since Lost. Expand
  59. Nov 1, 2010
    This show has been a long time coming. Being that it is based off the great Graphic Novel series of the same name, it holds water that it will continue to be fantastic. I had high hopes going in and was still completely blown away. The production value and directing, special effects and acting, and sheer scope of possibilities this has to offer is astounding. They don't pull any punches here, ie: it's as bloody and gory as any zombie flick worth noting. So if you are interested in a series that has the time to really connect you to the characters ( and by the looks of it, they plan to ), and are any kind of a zombie flick fan, this is what you've been waiting for. I for one, truly cannot wait to see more. Expand
  60. Nov 22, 2011
    I was extremely excited about this series, as I love the comics and followed them from the very start. After Season 1 I was still optimistic even though many episodes dragged in places, acting and storywise it was lackluster in my opinion. Season 2 started off with a bang, the first episode had a nice mix of action and drama. But sadly it's gone downhill extremely fast, to the point where it's basically on the level of a bad daytime soap opera with a zombie in it sometimes. I don't know how else to describe the travesty it's become. I'm very surprised by the praise and ratings this series has gotten, but I think the excellent production values will only carry it so far. I've already decided to stop watching. Expand
  61. Feb 23, 2011
    Boring. How the hell is a zombie story boring? Because they spend too much time developing characters I care nothing about. Let me come clean though. When, in the very first episode, they ripped off the plot of 28 days later, I rolled my eyes, and knew I was in for some B.S. because I didn't think 28 days later was particularly good (but it was at least monumentally better than 28 Months Later...). The more you watch it, the more you realize the amount of "homage" they pay to every single zombie flick that came before, and you wonder if their winking, or just giving the middle finger to those writers of far better material. Zombie stories aren't fine literature, ever. They evoke primal fear, not intellectual, so when you try to engage the viewer on any level higher than what their amygdala can process, you no longer have a zombie movie/show, you have a show that's trying too hard, and missing the mark terribly. Frankly I'd rather watch something like "Night of the Comet" than this snore fest. Boooooooooo! Expand
  62. Dec 15, 2010
    Doesn't deserve a 10/10 but I think with it could get there. I really liked the drama/action scenes and I'm excited to see what Season 2 will bring to the show (I'm guessing the group will somehow go to France). But there was too much focus on the ridiculous social situation, I'ed be fine with most of the show being action intense scenes where the rest was focusing on the story and development of the plot. Expand
  63. Dec 11, 2010
    An absolutly astounding series that has made me like zombie shows again after the abysmal Resident Evil films. The production quality is excellent for a TV series. The character development from episode to episode has been brilliant. The series takes alot of elements from the original comic series but then adds new elements to improve it even further and it succeeds!!!

One of the best TV
    series I have seen in the last 2 years Expand
  64. Oct 31, 2010
    Movie quality TV. Completely agree with that review. The acting, zombies, and cinematography is great. Definitely looking forward to the rest of this great TV show.
  65. Jun 20, 2011
    One of the best shows ever made. At first I didn't know what to expect; a full on blood-gushing TV series or just a run around scavenging survival tale, but the whole zombie genre was takes to whole new levels. Unlike zombie movies it is more than just a survival story, it is a whole odyssey of drama, emotions, and violence. It is a combination of your favorite drama and your favorite zombie movie. It asks many questions about our own sanity during difficult situations, what is the right thing to do, and how far will you go to save your loved ones. It has enough story and drama and zombie-killing action to back it up as a long-running series. Expand
  66. Nov 10, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's better than Resident Evil: Afterlife but that's not a ringing endorsement. The 2nd episode was unbelievable and inconsistent in many ways, plus you can almost predict what the next few episodes are going to "reveal" without looking at any trailers - the sheriff's sidekick and wife were bumping uglies before the apocalypse but the cop will still be clueless a while longer while wife racked with guilt. Racist bully blackmail's cop's buddy and wife into getting back at cop in exchange for keeping quiet about their affair (which bully somehow caught wind of); cop's buddy happy to play along and off cop to keep alpha male position and his woman. Noble black father and son from 1st episode show up and set things right to the gratitude of copy. Fat black guy turns out to be a jerk after all so white viewers are retrospectively more sympathetic with racist bully's beat down of him in 2nd episode while smugly dismissing any white guilt.

1. The 2 new black characters looked too polished which my husband and I found annoying. Sista looked like she just got her hair permed, curled and edged, then make-up just ruffled it a bit before the director shouted "Action!" while brother-man just shaved his head and beard. OK, maybe his character is bald, whatever. Everyone else looked a lot more like they been in hell for several weeks, fighting for their lives. I'm here to tell you as a black woman your hair would *never* look that put together after several weeks of no chemical treatments, living out of a tent with no running water or electricity to waste on curling irons and the like. She should look more like the little boy in the first episode, for sure.
    2. The whole racial tension thing felt contrived - that whole score would have been settled long before the cop showed up, one way or another. How it was settled felt...patronizing.
    3. The shooting sequence of those scenes was also painfully obvious - first the black guy is beaten a bloody pulp on the roof and can barely walk (leaning on a wall with his cap still firmly on his head), then he's moving very quickly (san cap) in the basement with everyone else, then in the next roof scene he's back in exact same position, cap on his head, licking his wounds. I almost thought the guy in the basement was his twin or something. wtf?
    4. The white racist/bully being left on the roof with tools accidentally dropped that would help free him in the next episode or so? *groan*
    5. Finally, it was amazing how the zombies would miraculously break/leap through barriers when the plot called to up the action quotient.

The second episode took all the wind out of this series for me. I'm shocked AMC was so quick to renew for a second season (Rubicon at least kept you guessing, at it's excruciatingly slow pace). I'll give it one more week and if doesn't improve I'm bailing.

Though I'm rather tepid on this new series, have fun watching and I wish it luck!
  67. Dec 10, 2010
    This is alive and well while most of TV & movies are dead. Reality shows & overated spew like Inception & Hurtlocker. You have to grade on a curve a little rasing the score for this show. They need more zombies and action but it still is engaging and has its chilling moments, mostly it does well what Steven King does even if the story isnt the best it can grab you and have you eagerly awaiting what comes next. The rest of TV is run by the brain dead, shoot em in the head. Expand
  68. Jan 6, 2011
    First of this no where near as good as breaking bad or mad men, I really dont see why its got a golden globe nod. I enjoyed watching the first few episodes i, the parts where they were in the city were fun but the out of the city it was pretty dull. I still haven't manage to will myself to watch the finale maybe the finale will be so good it will change my mind........ I doubt it though,
  69. Jan 8, 2011
    The first episode blow me away! I'm addicted to this show. I think that the history line is really interesting and the characters and their stories will surprise us! And dispite some opinions i've heard, i think that the final episode ended really well! The door is open for more drama. The worst part, and i think that was not clever at all, its the one year between series.
  70. Apr 14, 2011
    One of the best shows on TV made for zombie lovers and haters. I've seen every episode at least three times now and they're all great. Props to AMC for giving so much freedom to the writers and producers. The wait for season 2 will be long and boring, but at least we'll have a full 13 episode season.
  71. Dec 19, 2011
    I thought the show was alright, characters were great, the zombie scenes were frickin amazing and suspenceful but.. sigh. unfortunatly I can't rate this show more a 6 even if I wanted to because truthfully there were alot of scenes were I just dozed off cause it was really boring.
  72. Oct 17, 2011
    The season 2 premiere was edge-of-the-seat stuff, even given the fact they had to spend a little time re-establishing who's who. It was also quite possibly some of the goriest tv i've ever seen, but as always remains true to the plot, with excellent writing and fantastic special effects.
  73. Oct 25, 2011
    Amazing! My favorite show ever. Constant twists throughout the episodes with a great ending. I can expect season 2 to be even better. Daryl and T-Dog are the best.
  74. Feb 23, 2012
    Season 1 of The Walking Dead is simply amazing. The Show doesn't reinvent the "zombie apocalypse" or even come close. A lot of things can be familiar to anyone who's watched a few zombie movies, but this keeps you on your feet feeling a zombie expert watching their prey barely escape death constantly. The acting is great. The effects are fantastic for television. If you watch this season, you won't be disappointed. Expand
  75. Nov 15, 2011
    The Walking Dead television series is brilliant, such a good plot and very in depth, however it can be slow at points and take a more "Lost" approach in drawing the story out. Another good reason to watch this is because there is only 10 episodes so far (Across both series), so will be easy to get up to date with it.

However series 2 is even more slow then the first, this I think is
    because they've been commissioned to create more episodes and series. Expand
  76. Nov 15, 2011
    One of the best series from AMC. They did well with Mad Men, even better with Breaking Bad, and now completely outdone themselves with The Walking Dead. A perfect opening season for an amazing zombie show. The zombies on the show have to got to be the best I've seen in a while.
  77. Apr 28, 2012
    I absolutely love this series. The story is amazing, the characters are amazing, and the special effects are pretty good. My only problem is that the second season get a little slow at times.
  78. Dec 4, 2011
    started out really promising for first few episodes, but bad choice of main character, and the timing is all out of sync, it seems too fast as portrayed, but the story drags its heels, and the characters all have way too much to say about nothing to feel realistic in that sortof situation.
  79. Jan 11, 2012
    Everything just feels vanilla. It's watchable show but I've two major problems with it. One is the writing isn't good enough to tell the kind of story they are trying to tell. In so much that they are trying to tell a story about the psychological effects of the zombies on the survivors, as much as are just doing an all out zombie fest, and it doesn't work because they are going for the best of both worlds. The acting isn't good enough to support the former either, with the acception of Andrew Lincoln. On that note watching Sarah Wayne Callies three eye-face expressions is painful.

The second major problem I have with this season of the show is that it's not scary. At all.

Like I said though, it's watchable in a 'sit round having a few beers with friends' way I guess.
  80. Feb 10, 2012
    It amazes me that american t.v. continues to create weak and over dramatised rubbish that idiots rate as positive. This show promises so much but delivers a lot of disappointment. The characters are so annoying that the show leaves you wanting them to be eaten just to save the world before they breed. Love the zombies, but hate the imbeciles this series is based around. Producers of t.v. need better writers. Expand
  81. Feb 22, 2012
    what a great show! I have just caught up with the 2nd season now and it is probably better than the 1st already! why I only give it a 9 though is because the first season was maybe too short and also I didn't enjoy the last episode at all..so that's a 9 for season 1 and a 10 for season 2 so far!
  82. Mar 8, 2012
    After an overall solid first series yet a slow start to series 2, thw walking dead has finally reclaimed itself in my top 5 series of current times. Tension has been built up, the group is falling apart, things are getting epic again and i can't wait for the next 2 episodes.
  83. Mar 17, 2012
    This was a zombie masterpiece. It trumps most zombie movies out there and here it's just a TV show. Season 1 of The Walking Dead is something that's tough to beat. There's a good level of violence and character development here and that's just what you want on a show based on zombies.
  84. Oct 31, 2013
    It's plain and simple. Very boring. Some horrible acting and terrible subplots really hurt the show. It's also nothing like the comic, which are honestly far superior. It gets 3 points for having good special effects.
  85. Oct 7, 2013
    The Walking Dead is overall a very good show (season 1,2,3) but the first ever season is by far the best and if the writers (who replaced the old ones) were able to improve on it I truly believe it could have been one of the greatest shows ever. Other than Ozymandias (Breaking Bad), the first episode of season 1 is probably the best episode of television I have ever watched.

As for
    Season 1 in general, it was absolutely fantastic. It got me shouting at the TV with the jumps, the crazy moments and the sad moments. The characters were great, the story line was believable and the direction the show was heading could have ended up being up there with Breaking Bad and Game Of Thrones.

But with the writers being fired for Season 2 on wards, there is a noticeable difference between S1 and S2/S3. It has become so average, the story seems to be going no where which is disappointing. But dont get me wrong, The Walking Dead is one of my favorite shows, but I can't help but think it could have been an all time great if it built up from the brilliant season 1.

The Walking Dead Season 1: 10/10
  86. Jul 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. AMAZING! Everything I would expect but more! The suspense through the first season was awesome and the writers painted an amazing picture of the zombie apocalypse and how bad things were. Every character has it's own personality which makes you wonder as the show goes on how they will clash with other members of there camp. Every character can be related to in some aspect which makes it that more exciting to watch cause you think you know what the survivors will do next. The story always leads to new hope and also leads to great losses as well. Expand
  87. Sep 1, 2012
    I didn't thought this series was that good. I watched it and I enjoyed it - that's the main part. And then I found out why it was this good. It's based on a comic book. It's pretty darn good. I love the characters, though I had some trouble with Rick's wife and Shane. This series is definitely in the current top 10.
  88. Oct 27, 2012
    First season was superb compared to season two. There was little too much drama going on and the story proceeded very slowly. I recommend reading the comic books which are far more better then the TV show.
  89. Nov 7, 2012
    La mejor serie que he visto en mucho tiempo, fiel a los comics en muchos casos, escrita totalmente por Robert Kirkman, con drama, muertes que lo hacen una serie inesperada, inclusion de nuevos personajes como Daryl, una trama que se pueded seguir facilmente en ciertos puntos, una obra maestra.
  90. Jul 14, 2013
    This is quite frankly the magnum opus of the zombie genre. If you're looking for thrills and spectacular special effects, this show is for you. The makeup work is entirely without flaw, if zombies were real, this show portrays exactly what they'd look like, no hokiness to be had here. However, the story and drama has become merely average compared to the first season.
  91. Jan 13, 2013
    Absolutely breath-taking. I have only been watching the show since the end of season two, and I got addicted to watching it. The realism of it needs to go up a little bit, the actors are not too good. I just didn't see any improvement in their acting, especially when tears are shed. That is something that definitely needs put into work for the next season. This is my favorite show on AMC, and probably my fifth favorite show all together. I highly recommend watching it if you're into dramas and science-fiction. Especially if you love hearing about zombies as a topic (no pun intended). Highly recommended. Expand
  92. Feb 21, 2013
    The series had a good start, it was looking promising, but got lost along the way. The HQ is extremely good, it really catches your attention, but the TV series lack all the drama, the horror and the intelligence the comic books have. It really isn't worth it.
  93. Mar 25, 2013
    In AMC's "The Walking Dead", you see some of the most developing and complex characters in television history. Based mainly on the comicbooks with some twists of its own the serie drags you into its world and makes you feel how these people have to survive. When the action is there, it's fresh and yet heart-pounding, and when it's not it will keep you glued to your screen because of the interresting dialog and stunning acting performances, especially from Norman reedus as Daryl Dixon a fan favorite. Expand
  94. Mar 13, 2013
    I find myself willing over and over for the series to improve, but it always manages to disappoint. The pilot promises just enough to make me watch another couple of episodes, for a couple of terrific spectacle sequences in downtown Atlanta give the series an epic sense of scale. Masterful cinematography, cg, makeup, and choreography aside, however, Walking Dead is lackluster. The plot is contrived, characters often behave with complete disregard for common sense, the writing is poor, and every single female character is frustratingly weak and useless. I find myself wishing the protagonist would die- perhaps that way some genuinely captivating grit could find its way into a series that despite its physical blood and gore, is just a little bit too morally and interpersonally clean and pretty to take any real satisfying risks. Expand
  95. Mar 24, 2013
    Season one is great. Season two and three turns the show in to a mostly boring soap opera mostly restricted to a few sets that for some reason are immune to the hordes of zombies we're told to expect in the first season. Shallowly drawn characters who act in completely contradictory ways provide the viewer no characters with which they can sympathize, as they repeatedly discuss their prior and future actions over and over again ad nauseam.

The tension of being on the run that was established in season one is nowhere to be seen, as zombie attacks are easily fended off in the same way over and over again. Characters act in ways that make little to no logical sense, such as wandering around in the open after one of their number is sniped by an opposing group.

Michael Rooker is one of the only saving graces of the show in terms of acting, and is reappearance is a welcome one. Unfortunately, his scenes just highlight the lack of skills of most of the other actors.

To me, it's a big disappointment after season one. As a huge fan of the b-movie, grind-house zombie apocalypse genre, I think the show misses it entirely in season two and three.
  96. Apr 17, 2013
    Pretty good. I personally think it's a bit overhyped. But it's still good. One thing I will say though is how BS some of the action sequences are. There needs to be more attention to detail. When the actor's are shooting .44s AKs and 12 gauges there is no recoil. Just a flash and a body falls down in the distance.. Really? Most of the actors do their part pretty well. But you never really care about any of them. Sure you don't like that they die but you really don't care honestly. The last thing I'll say about it is how FREAKING TERRIBLE the character Rick Grimes is. The actor tries WAYYYYYYYYY too hard to be dramatic in every way possible to EVERYTHING. Way too over-dramatic. I swear to god the next time I hear "LUUUUUUUUOOOOOOORRAAAAAAY!!!!!!" with him lisping and drooling from the mouth trying to be dramatic I'm going to tear my ears off my head. And the way he acts Mr. Tuff "I'm the leader and I'm going to broaden my shoulders and act like I know what I'm doing".. That's Rick Grimes in a nutshell. And he's going to annoy the hell outta especially since he's the main character. Expand
  97. Apr 4, 2013
    Season 1 of The Walking Dead is truly amazing for those who like the constant tension and anxiety of survival. The wake of the apocalyptic event truly entails a scenery that is both nostalgic and frightening. The pacing of the storyline, the character backgrounds and their emotional roller coasters are well-balanced leaving you wanting more. So don't be surprised when you catch yourself watching episode after episode. Expand
  98. May 14, 2013
    Really good stuff.
    The screenwriters of the walking dead did an fantastic job.They focus on the apocalyptic world and the live in it.The zombies are not the main feature but the give the series a little spice which makes it so enjoyable to watch.Good Work .
    Carry on.
  99. Oct 13, 2013
    The first season of Walking Dead finally brings back the zombie genre. With great acting, characters, editing, and pacing, this show is not afraid to go all out and kill off main characters. Here's to hoping that this show sticks around a while!
  100. Oct 11, 2013
    One of the most remarkable dramas on TV. Stunning, scary, disgusting, dramatic, suspenseful.........pure entertainment!!!! Don't miss it!!! Andrew Lincoln and Norman Reedus are the best in my opinion.

1. Reviewed by: Tim Goodman
    Dec 7, 2010
    Darabont uses the TV-series format to break convention not only by defying the predictabilities of the horror genre (boo!) but also by infusing the recipe with more storytelling elan.
  2. Reviewed by: Alan Sepinwall
    Dec 7, 2010
    I was encouraged that the character-driven third episode was stronger than the zombie action-heavy second, and perhaps the producers will be proven right--that the longer this saga goes on past these initial six episodes, the more it will set itself apart from the zombie canon.
  3. Reviewed by: Mary McNamara
    Dec 7, 2010
    The Walking Dead, like any good horror tale, still believes in the importance of monsters, perfectly balancing the struggle of basic human decency with those palsied four-in-the-morning moments when we are convinced that everyone around us is trying to eat us alive