• Network: HBO
  • Series Premiere Date: Jun 2, 2002
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
9.5

1. Mar 3, 2012
    I've watched many, many television shows, and I can confidently affirm that The Wire is by far the greatest achievement in the history of TV. I won't bother typing up a long and well thought-out review because I'm sure the previous users have done a fair enough job of describing this show, but I will say this: no other television series compares to The Wire, and it will be a long timeI've watched many, many television shows, and I can confidently affirm that The Wire is by far the greatest achievement in the history of TV. I won't bother typing up a long and well thought-out review because I'm sure the previous users have done a fair enough job of describing this show, but I will say this: no other television series compares to The Wire, and it will be a long time before another one does. Expand
  2. Nov 22, 2011
    The Wire is a challenging series, there is no doubt about that. As you watch through a season, and through multiple seasons, you can feel yourself being retrained on how to watch a television show. It can be an uncomfortable experience at times, but the show is absolutely worth it, and you'll have a hard time watching "regular" TV afterwards.

Season 4 is quite possibly the best season

Season 4 is quite possibly the best season of the series. The picture it paints of inner-city youth and their public schools is tragic, but refreshing in its honesty. Like all institutions portrayed in The Wire, the school system is in decline, and there is no miraculous, Hollywood happy ending on the horizon. Which is the whole point of the season, really. Having introduced us in previous seasons to a cast of gangsters, drug addicts, scam artists, disillusioned civil servants, and self-serving politicians, The Wire now shows us where these people come from, how the system produces and reproduces them. And that, ultimately, is what makes The Wire so challenging; it is unflinching in its portrayal of the characters -- and, ultimately, of all of us -- as cogs in a run-down machine which doesn't care about anything but perpetuating itself. This is certainly not what most people are looking for when they sit down to watch TV. But viewers who are willing to devote serious attention and an open mind to this season of The Wire are rewarded with a thought-provoking storyline, engrossing characters, and truly impressive acting -- including some of the most talented child actors you will ever see.
  3. AlexandrosL.
    Oct 5, 2007
    Simon has transferred in his play the Balzac's core conception of the plot in which the characters while they seem to act on their own through a Darwinian battle, in fact they are pawns overwhelmed by the dominant forces of the society. A true masterpiece. Art.
  4. JC
    Sep 7, 2006
    Slow from the blocks but so amazing once it builds momentum. When season 1 pilot first aired, a friend called me and asked me what I thought. My reaction "its so real, there are so many loose ends, its kind of dull." Two weeks later, the same friend called and I told him that I was watching The Wire. He asked why and I said that I didnt know and that it was kind of hypnotic. Two weeks Slow from the blocks but so amazing once it builds momentum. When season 1 pilot first aired, a friend called me and asked me what I thought. My reaction "its so real, there are so many loose ends, its kind of dull." Two weeks later, the same friend called and I told him that I was watching The Wire. He asked why and I said that I didnt know and that it was kind of hypnotic. Two weeks later, I answered the phone and said "I'll call you back I am watching the greatest show ever!" and hung up on him. If you haven't seen it, expect to find this season's pilot rather open ended and to introduce many character relationships that seem real but vague. But four weeks from now, you will be chomping at the bit for each new episode. You'll be glad you did. Expand
  5. JoshC
    Jan 14, 2007
    "24" is a conservative's wet dream. For my money the best show on TV is "The Wire", but nobody watches it. There is not another show on TV that addresses the realities of race, work, manhood and urban life with the sweep and rigor of "The Wire" on HBO. "24", blistering as it is, is just flashy and empty. It's all lightning, no rain."The Wire" drenched me.
  6. Blanqui
    Aug 28, 2007
    This is more than just a television show, this is something more. Watching the wire sets a new standard that makes other shows seem ridiculous. The show is so good and so educational it should be shown in schools for teenagers. It describes it as it is, no bull, no happy ending, just reality. The wie is movie art as its best.
  7. Sep 24, 2012
    I think it is around season 4 that I realized The Wire is the greatest television series ever produced, and that no other TV show would match what David Simon achieved. In the 1st season, the game is introduced, carefully following a police investigation into the drug wars in West Baltimore. The 2nd season introduces the working class/union of Baltimore. 3rd season incorporated theI think it is around season 4 that I realized The Wire is the greatest television series ever produced, and that no other TV show would match what David Simon achieved. In the 1st season, the game is introduced, carefully following a police investigation into the drug wars in West Baltimore. The 2nd season introduces the working class/union of Baltimore. 3rd season incorporated the politics. Each season, something new is learned about these institutions, and it is very often something we wish we didn't know. In the 4th season, Simon's exploration of the school system was eye-opening on so many levels, and essentially documented proof of why many of these kids (or so-called students) end up in the streets as either a player or a feen. It is the tragedy of city government, and the corrupt use of these institutions. The acting was phenomenal (especially from the 4 kids), the story was grand, and the execution was immaculate. That has been the case for every season of the wire, and I can't imagine any other show will be this powerful while trying to maintain a world of pure realism. Expand
  8. Oct 22, 2010
    Season 4 of the Wire is the best season of any television series. Period. While the Wire has always been a great TV show, with more authenticity, in-depth writing, complex characters, superb acting and gripping storytelling in one episode than most shows produce over their entire span. The first three seasons are all amazing, and the storylines from the previous seasons continue to growSeason 4 of the Wire is the best season of any television series. Period. While the Wire has always been a great TV show, with more authenticity, in-depth writing, complex characters, superb acting and gripping storytelling in one episode than most shows produce over their entire span. The first three seasons are all amazing, and the storylines from the previous seasons continue to grow in the fourth season, but they cannot in any way prepare you for the sublime and heartbreaking new storyline following four youth, the school system, and the corner. I can't use enough superlatives to describe this season: Perfect! Riveting! Flawless! The apex of art, entertainment and social commentary on TV (and perhaps any medium)!!!!

If you find the first few episodes disorienting, don't worry, it will all make sense â
  9. DorianS
    Jan 3, 2007
    The most powerful, most heartbreaking, most intelligent, most empathic, most humanistic, most truthful television series that I have ever watched. The writing on all four seasons of "The Wire" is consistently first rate, with dozens of memorable characters brought to life by the superlative cast. Complex and convoluted (yet never boring) this series demands your complete attention when The most powerful, most heartbreaking, most intelligent, most empathic, most humanistic, most truthful television series that I have ever watched. The writing on all four seasons of "The Wire" is consistently first rate, with dozens of memorable characters brought to life by the superlative cast. Complex and convoluted (yet never boring) this series demands your complete attention when watching (something that will come quite easily as anyone who has watched this show can attest to), and rewards your investment of time in spades... Expand
  10. SamA
    Jan 9, 2007
    Josh B put it very well, it is a show about something, and it does an excellent job of not making the "hood" or being a gangsta look romantic. It is real and effective. Living in the poorest city in America, Cleveland, I can relate to everything this show explains. Best show on TV
  11. DR
    Sep 6, 2006
    This show is truely the best ever, yes it might sound cliche to say that about this show, but its so true. The first episode of every season is like a new first chapter, so of course its a little confusing at first, but thats the beauty of this show is that it demands your attention and you get rewarded ten fold once you get into it. I loved the season 4 opener, It starts off a year after This show is truely the best ever, yes it might sound cliche to say that about this show, but its so true. The first episode of every season is like a new first chapter, so of course its a little confusing at first, but thats the beauty of this show is that it demands your attention and you get rewarded ten fold once you get into it. I loved the season 4 opener, It starts off a year after the last season and is just awesome to see all the characters we have come to love over the years. My favorite show no doubt. Expand
  12. JoshB
    Jan 8, 2007
    Seinfeld was the "show about nothing." This just might be the only show ever that can legitimately be called a "show about something." The Wire reveals every other show for the superficial pap that it is.
  13. MartinM
    Mar 3, 2007
    The Wire is the best TV ever created.
  14. MattH
    Jun 8, 2007
    True dat. I'm from the UK and was tipped off on this. Unlike a lot of the 'top drawer' TV out there now this just gets better and better with each series. Apparently The Wire was written like a novel and series 5 will be the conclusion. How can anything ever better it?
  15. Dave
    Sep 1, 2007
    If Dostoyevsky was still alive - he would be writing for this show.
  16. AnnemarieK.
    Oct 17, 2008
    Fantastic, a brilliant drama that gets to the heart of the issues surrounding drugs and crime.
  17. SatoshiK.
    Jan 4, 2008
    "The Wire" is a diamond, no other show even comes close.
  18. CaddyC
    Jan 5, 2008
    The Wire is hands down the greatest televsion series of all time. The Sopranos didn't even come close. Anyone who argues this point obviously knows very little about acting, scripting, editing or directing. This is perfection.
  19. DavidA.
    Sep 16, 2008
    One word: BRILLIANT
  20. CharlesGill
    Nov 28, 2009
    The Best Show ever. Too bad there were no follow up on were some of the characters ended up. I hate this show ended I want more
  21. EsgoG
    Mar 6, 2009
    Controversy incarnated. Everything you do not approve of, you will love in the Wire. As realistic as real life thanks to some great slang, actors and on location shooting. My HBO favorite!
  22. TomH
    Oct 10, 2006
    I have watched this show from the beginning and I can only say that it is the best television show on today. The writing is first rate and the acting is even better. The stories will make you go through every emotion you have.
  23. duanebraun
    Nov 26, 2006
    this show is awaome and so realistic.my favorite show
  24. DorianP
    Dec 6, 2006
    Best Show ever I cant even think o f a movie I like more.
  25. StefanP
    Sep 10, 2006
    best show i have ever seen. goddamnit, i want to have intercourse with the people who conceptualized this program. it is the sweetest show ever created in the history of modern media. i motherfucking love the wire. god bless baltimore. titties. this show is titties.
  26. KevinW
    Sep 21, 2006
    I love the wire but you almost have to watch it from the first season. Unlike most shows "The Wire" isn't about the characters or the plot. The show is about Baltimore and "the game." So you have to watch it for that, but it makes the show even more enjoyable. Your favorite character who seems to be the spotlight of the show may be dead by the next episode and that just keeps you on I love the wire but you almost have to watch it from the first season. Unlike most shows "The Wire" isn't about the characters or the plot. The show is about Baltimore and "the game." So you have to watch it for that, but it makes the show even more enjoyable. Your favorite character who seems to be the spotlight of the show may be dead by the next episode and that just keeps you on your toes. Expand
  27. maryh
    Sep 21, 2006
    This is a show that requires patience and brains; all B story and a 13 episode story arc - unthinkable on "regular" channels. Characters with flaws, soul, issues and, best of all, great acting and incredible writing.
  28. LarToryaH
    Sep 25, 2006
    love this show it's the best thing on tv
  29. bigking
    Sep 29, 2006
    This is currently the best show on the air, period. Hard to think how they could improve it, except by making more episodes
  30. CO
    Sep 7, 2006
    I want to find something flawed in this show, but I just can't Perfect.
  31. KJ
    Sep 7, 2006
    For what the show asks of you, which is simply that you watch, the rewards are unbelievable. The Wire is funny, dark and thought-provoking all at once, and David Simon & Ed Burns are first and foremost incredible storytellers. Some of the reviews tend to make watching The Wire sound like homework, but while the show may be a bit complicated to explain, above all else it's totally For what the show asks of you, which is simply that you watch, the rewards are unbelievable. The Wire is funny, dark and thought-provoking all at once, and David Simon & Ed Burns are first and foremost incredible storytellers. Some of the reviews tend to make watching The Wire sound like homework, but while the show may be a bit complicated to explain, above all else it's totally entertaining. It's fascinating television. Expand
  32. JT
    Sep 7, 2006
    Glad to see this show get its due. Such a sad tale for those 4 boys. Expect to get your heart broken. The wire is what TV should be.
  33. adamg
    Sep 7, 2006
    Televison perfection at it's finest.
  34. GG
    Sep 8, 2006
    I love this show!
  35. WasetR
    Sep 9, 2006
    For me, television could go away forever, as long as on Sunday nights, it came back on to show The Wire. This show is the greatest show ever in the history of television and I tell everyone I know and everyone I meet that very same thing.
  36. C.E.
    Sep 9, 2006
    Great show. I watched all three season (37 episodes) in four days. Can't wait to see the fourth season.
  37. MarcD.
    Sep 9, 2006
    The first episode was everything I expected it to be. And outstanding foundation for another good season. The first season in the Home Depot-type store is priceless. There is simply a level of authenticity in The Wire that no other show on TV can get close to. Only Homicide: LOTS is in the same ballpark. Why the Emmy folks and all those other organizations that complain about the lack of The first episode was everything I expected it to be. And outstanding foundation for another good season. The first season in the Home Depot-type store is priceless. There is simply a level of authenticity in The Wire that no other show on TV can get close to. Only Homicide: LOTS is in the same ballpark. Why the Emmy folks and all those other organizations that complain about the lack of quality roles for African American actors seem to ignore this show is beyond me. Expand
  38. Matt
    Jan 18, 2007
    Greatest show on tv period. It requires max attention but the payoffs are worth it.
  39. LanaS.
    Nov 9, 2007
    Brilliant writing, impressive directing, and spectacular acting. The greatest thing on television, period.
  40. DianaB
    Jan 27, 2007
    I love this show and can't wait for the next season to start, what is taking so long.
  41. ZakiyaD
    Jan 3, 2007
    I love the television show THE WIRE so much and just started 2 watch in mid of season 2 and have kept watching the television show ever since. My favorite character is Namond! real funny and charming
  42. RN
    Jan 6, 2007
    The most important piece of televison there has ever been. I've derived no greater feeling from following "The Wire" for the last 4 seasons. It's shows life, as true as it can happen. This show presents the tragedy of our current system; ignoring and failing the people, putting everything to profit and the cold protection of that profit. "The Wire" had impacted my life so The most important piece of televison there has ever been. I've derived no greater feeling from following "The Wire" for the last 4 seasons. It's shows life, as true as it can happen. This show presents the tragedy of our current system; ignoring and failing the people, putting everything to profit and the cold protection of that profit. "The Wire" had impacted my life so strongly with its story. I beg you now to start watching. By some miracle it has been picked up for its 5th and final season, which should start late 2007. Expand
  43. BarrettD
    Jan 7, 2007
    The absolute best show I've seen in my life
  44. levar
    Feb 11, 2007
    I,am from Baltimore!This is as real as it will ever get. The names have been changed but the people of Baltimore,(BALIMERE)no them well.
  45. Tom
    Feb 10, 2007
    The best show ever, and hardly anyone knows about it.
  46. EthanS
    Feb 18, 2007
    This show could only be created in a place like Baltimore. Hollywood would screw it up. Manhattan, too. Those places are theme parks; this is the story of a real city and its problems.
  47. nig
    Mar 1, 2007
    For you people saying this show is black explotation have obviously never seen it. It is a well written and directed drama about cops trying to hold a city together that is falling apart. It is trying to document the struggle of inner city baltimore and what it's like trying to survive. So far it's the only show that does that justice.
  48. JLali
    Apr 20, 2007
    one of the best shows on cable period
  49. BlahM.
    May 22, 2007
    I watch pretty much every show on TV that's worth watching, and this is undeniably the best. As true-to-life as TV can get, with far more reality than any "reality" show. Waiting for the fifth season to begin is torture, which will only get worse as I realize the hole The Wire will leave when it's gone.
  50. TomN.
    May 30, 2007
    BEST TV EVER!! Like watching a quality book...
  51. David
    May 30, 2007
    let's hope that some day this show will reach the mass audience it deserves.
  52. TomasI
    Jun 29, 2007
    Absolutely fantastic!
  53. KenL.
    Jun 9, 2007
    The Wire is so good it's scary.
  54. SeanL
    Jul 15, 2007
    The only television program of any importance ever made.
  55. LolaS
    Jul 19, 2007
    I LOVE this show! Season 4 was phenomenal! It just draws you in and the suspense is so strong. I can't wait for season 5.
  56. RobertB.
    Jul 31, 2007
    The only major "flaw" this show has is that it doesn't appeal to what people have been conditioned to expect. It's too intelligent, too authentic, too deep, too harsh and too sad.
  57. NandaK
    Jul 8, 2007
    Simply the best show on TV; more than that, it is a piece of work that holds its own if you would like to compare it to other great works of literature -- Shakespeare included!
  58. HaniY.
    Aug 13, 2007
    Season 4 of The Wire happens to be the most emotional and the finest season so far. This is the most hard-hitting police drama ever to come to TV. The Wire makes every other show inferior and hopefully it will get the Emmys the show deserved for a long time now.
  59. Julian
    Aug 1, 2007
    Best not-a-cop-show ever. Period.
  60. TerjeD.
    Sep 4, 2007
    Best show ever... no other show even close !
  61. TiaL.
    Sep 6, 2007
    I am from the urban city and this show is so true. Whoever created this must have grown up in this same situation to have captured such likeliness.
  62. JamesOM.
    Oct 16, 2008
    Outstanding..addictive with a capital A. The most intense absorbing series I have ever seen..I hope it goes on for ever cause I will go into withdrawal when it finishes.
  63. DerryF
    Nov 9, 2008
    The Wire is the finest piece of media I've ever encountered; the ambition and bravery of the writers shines through every scene. What's the best thing about The Wire? Omar Little - his appearances are worth every second of plot movement.
  64. HarryB.
    Feb 27, 2008
    All in the game.
  65. JoshW.
    Feb 8, 2008
    It is the best show ever. End of story.
  66. PhilP.
    Mar 17, 2008
    The "Ulysses" of television. Difficult, but ultimately rewarding beyond words!
  67. BobR
    May 11, 2008
    This is the best television show that I have ever watched. I agree with others on this site that it occasionally approaches great literature with wonderful character building, revealing detail, and even symbolism. The nuanced approach to its realistic depiction of our cities is mind boggling.
  68. RobertC.
    Aug 18, 2008
    I've been following this show since season one. It is quite simply the most satisfying television experience I've ever had. Simply flawless.
  69. malcolmA.
    Aug 29, 2008
    Sublime virtues are all but forsaken When the reality of this society comes crashing in!
  70. edk.
    Sep 23, 2008
    I am a white 55 year old Canadian. I have only started watching this show on DVD, due to the critical buzz. It is without doubt, the greatest achievement in tv history. Utterly compelling, brilliant writing and acting, America as it is with all of its warts and hopes. I cannot believe that this show has not been given its due, outside of the critics. I have to believe that the vast I am a white 55 year old Canadian. I have only started watching this show on DVD, due to the critical buzz. It is without doubt, the greatest achievement in tv history. Utterly compelling, brilliant writing and acting, America as it is with all of its warts and hopes. I cannot believe that this show has not been given its due, outside of the critics. I have to believe that the vast majority of the public is not able to watch something so real and true, and esp. with the majority of the cast being afro-american. This show is so well done that within the first episode, we forget color and just see people we can feel awe, pity, hope for. A magnificent achievement. Expand
  71. WilliamT
    Oct 10, 2009
    The appropriately named show is the best TV show I've ever seen. Just as the cameras and wire taps allow the police to secretly monitor the criminals, so too is the audience allowed to view such a gritty world colored in shades of gray. The show's plot, characters, dialogue, and setting make for such a unique show that I was completely taken by surprise. The 4th season just blew The appropriately named show is the best TV show I've ever seen. Just as the cameras and wire taps allow the police to secretly monitor the criminals, so too is the audience allowed to view such a gritty world colored in shades of gray. The show's plot, characters, dialogue, and setting make for such a unique show that I was completely taken by surprise. The 4th season just blew me away completely. The focus on inner-city schools and the students' lives definitely made the season heavy, but in an extremely good way. The 4th season is definitely my favorite. Expand
  72. JohnPf
    Jan 15, 2009
    Without a doubt, the finest show on television. I went from modestly enjoying it during the first season, to being in awe in the fourth. Its a work of art.
  73. HarryD
    Dec 6, 2009
    After finishing season 4 I feel like I just got out of a fight. I'm coming down from the adrenaline, slightly depressed, but somehow better off for it.
  74. CraigS.
    Jan 9, 2009
    Never has a police drama had such developed and interesting characters. The series has the touch of a craftsman aging from series to series, constantly building on the immersion - without resorting to ill placed "surprise!" moments, and plot twists that detract from the realism. The beauty of the story, in my opinion, is how slowly they introduce Baltimore and its residents to the viewer. Never has a police drama had such developed and interesting characters. The series has the touch of a craftsman aging from series to series, constantly building on the immersion - without resorting to ill placed "surprise!" moments, and plot twists that detract from the realism. The beauty of the story, in my opinion, is how slowly they introduce Baltimore and its residents to the viewer. It's very rare that a non-period drama will actually leave the audience to feel the story out for themselves, instead of pointing to characters and saying "sympathise with this man" or "condemn this act". Educated and accurate drama for the viewer fed up of superman-cop shows. Expand
  75. PeterW.
    Feb 1, 2009
    just watch it!!!!!
  76. AbhinavR
    May 3, 2009
    After watching every season of The Wire, Season 4 has to be my favourite. Although it started out a bit slow, by the "2.5th" episode, I was captivated. I didn't have high hopes for this season because of the lack of Barksdale characters but the introduction of the school system and political campaigning was enough to make this the best season of any show ever. If somebody could only After watching every season of The Wire, Season 4 has to be my favourite. Although it started out a bit slow, by the "2.5th" episode, I was captivated. I didn't have high hopes for this season because of the lack of Barksdale characters but the introduction of the school system and political campaigning was enough to make this the best season of any show ever. If somebody could only watch one TV show, I would highly recommend The Wire. Expand
  77. JamesR
    Sep 11, 2009
    nothing will ever come close .
  78. RobertM
    Jan 24, 2010
    I would not trade any movie, televisoin series, show, or even literateture works for the wire. It is the best show I've ever seen, and then some. It will spoil every other show, movie or series after you've seen it because nothing will ever be as good. Season 4 is the best of 5.
  79. jamesc
    Oct 15, 2006
    The best and deepest drama on TV. The acting and writing is great.
  80. AOD
    Oct 18, 2006
    "The Wire" is the best show in television history, period.
  81. DemetriusP
    Dec 10, 2006
    By far, the BEST show on HBO! The Soprano's cannot hold a match to The Wire. The acting is 10x better, the plot is so...intense.... It's a shame this show doesn't get the notice it deserves
  82. tomp
    Oct 20, 2006
    The best show on televison. Maybe one of the best show ever on tv. Enjoy it while it lasts
  83. raymondb
    Dec 13, 2006
    I've been numb ever since watching the last show, (tivo) last night. I just can't put into words the emotional rollercoster this show takes me through. At times I wish I could just reach into my TV and help these kids some way, some how. I live just outside of Baltimore and its incredible to me how THE WIRE parellels real life in bodymore....
  84. Toshi
    Dec 15, 2006
    Probably the greatest television show ever.
  85. GD
    Dec 17, 2006
    The greatest show on television...ever!
  86. JaredK
    Oct 2, 2006
    As usual, The Wire is proving to be the best show on television this season. The first episode, was strong but felt slightly off kilter. But this has been true of every season so far. Likely it's due to the massive cast changes and the two year layoff between seasons three and four. However, each of the next three episodes that I've seen has gotten progressively stronger, more As usual, The Wire is proving to be the best show on television this season. The first episode, was strong but felt slightly off kilter. But this has been true of every season so far. Likely it's due to the massive cast changes and the two year layoff between seasons three and four. However, each of the next three episodes that I've seen has gotten progressively stronger, more tense, better paced. Already I feel invested in the five main new characters. The Wire is just a monumentally compelling, expertly crafted show that deserves a wider audience. Collapse
  87. lu
    Dec 20, 2006
    Best show ever.
  88. alanf
    Dec 27, 2006
    the best
  89. DanM
    Dec 31, 2006
    The best show ever created.
    Dec 30, 2006
    I do not exaggertae when I say this is the best show I have ever had the pleasure of sitting down in front of. So addictive I consumed the entire season in ONE SITTING.
  91. RonC
    Dec 4, 2006
    Incredible. Season 4 has elevetated this show to legenadary status. It has always been good, but taken together the four seasons equal, and probably surpass anything that has ever been put on television before. If I had to guess as to why it has never become a ratings star for HBO it would have to be that yes, I do live in a racist country. (Or a dumb one that doesn't have the Incredible. Season 4 has elevetated this show to legenadary status. It has always been good, but taken together the four seasons equal, and probably surpass anything that has ever been put on television before. If I had to guess as to why it has never become a ratings star for HBO it would have to be that yes, I do live in a racist country. (Or a dumb one that doesn't have the attention span it takes to follow the multiple plot lines... ) Expand
  92. TONYB
    Oct 25, 2006
    One of the best television series I have ever seen. NO SCRATCH THAT. This is the best television series I have ever seen.
  93. TWilliams
    Dec 7, 2006
    The most riveting show in TV history
  94. PaulP
    Dec 8, 2006
    GOAT, the greatest of all times, no doubt. There will never be another show like The Wire, you feel me?
  95. JimmyV
    Oct 9, 2006
    Best show on TV. When will The Wire start winning the awards it truly deserves?
  96. Mike
    Sep 10, 2006
    This is the best television show ever made. Makes other shows like "24" look like public access television.
  97. JohnJ
    Sep 11, 2006
    Simply the best.
  98. Domingo
    Sep 13, 2006
    This is the best show on television. It has the depth of a book played out every week on TV. We don't deserve to be treated this well.
  99. MichaelD
    Sep 14, 2006
    The wire is the smartest and most ambitious show on television today. Its continual portrayal of the intricacies and hypocrisy of both crime and justice encourage discussion and gently nudge the necessary realization that too much of America is sad, ugly and more complicated that any of us care to know. I enjoy every minute; it almost justifies my obscene cable bill.
  100. EmmanuelD
    Sep 17, 2006
    The Wire is one of the best show ever to be on HBO. Only if the Emmy

Despite high praise, there are two serious problems: (a) The first new episode is crazy confusing, and (b) over the course of the first batch of episodes, the story lines don't develop quickly enough.
    To me, what allows “The Wire” to surpass “The Sopranos” in the pantheon of greatest American TV shows is its ambition and its anger.
  3. Reviewed by: Matt Roush
    This is TV as great modern literature, a shattering and heartbreaking urban epic about a city (Baltimore) rotting from within.