ThunderCats : Season 1

7.5

1. Aug 9, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. having seen the original series back in the 80s, i'm quite satisfied w/ the way the series was reimagined for 2011. i think the capable studio behind the show's reboot genuinely cares about not only the IP and its legacy but thundercats fans as well. it stays true to the original w/ minimal (sometimes choppy) dialogue, good character development, and storytelling. snarf doesn't talk (for now), which is a good thing, forcing lion-o to interact more w/ other characters who actually respond. if snarfer is brought into the mix though they might eventually have to give them some lines since both snarf and snarfer are members of a powerful union.

all the characters so far are pretty cool (except for a brief cameo by lynx-o), so i can't wait 'till they introduce the *real* panthro, pumyra etc. there was some laziness in the animation when the lizards attacked the castle--there were 3 instances of the same scene with arrows raining down on lizards, but it was only about 10 seconds of recycled footage.

anyways, love the show. i hope the studio is allowed to stick to their guns and continue making the show the way THEY think it should be made w/o any of their bosses telling them how to do their jobs. because so far, its really well done and i look forward to friday nights to catch the next episode.
  2. Aug 10, 2011
    Well it is actually a totally new cartoon with new characters with the same names and weapons. Actually if it didn't have the thundercat symbol appearing all the time I guess I'd forget I was actually watching the Thundercats, so it's quite a shame the original one was so deeply modified.
    However I must say they improved quite a lot when giving Lizards some reasons to be bad, and not just being bad because they're supposed to be. Some deep social lessons are in progress as allies and enemies are not divided in specific races, so if you're a "lizard" it doesn't mean that you're automatically a bad guy, as not all the cats are the good ones. Actually even the main good characters can make mistakes and learn from them, questioning their attitudes.
    From that point of view I was vey proud to see an 80's classic returning as a powerful tool to explore children's perception of good and bad rather than just battling around. I hope it keeps this way.
  3. Aug 12, 2012
    The show brings a promising atmosphere; showing how Lion-O is adjusting to kingship and leading the ThunderCats against Mumm-Ra while leading the surviving Thunderians to a brighter future. Also, it teaches the children about the concepts of good and evil, right and wrong, and honor and virtue, which is the kind of show we need on TV. I hope to see more when it is renewed.
  4. Aug 7, 2011
    (This review concerns the premiere, 1 hour special)

(This review concerns the premiere, 1 hour special)

As someone who has never seen the original Thundercats, and as someone who was very reluctant to watch the premiere, I love this show. The animation is high quality, the voice actors are passable, the action is fast paced and interesting, and there's a touch of humor thrown in to help ease some of the tension. I gotta say though, this is not much of a kids show. It's fairly dark and deals with some big issues.

Like I said, I can't speak for fans of the original 80s show. But if you enjoy action cartoons/animes, Thundercats isn't a bad idea. Give it a shot, I know I'm eagerly awaiting every Friday.
tbd

No score yet - based on 2 Critics

1. Reviewed by: Verne Gay
    Aug 1, 2011
    ThunderCats fanboys and girls will approve, although the story does feel a lot darker and more violent.
  2. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    Aug 1, 2011
    The template sets up a semi-serialized storyline hewing pretty closely to the original but with some interesting twists.