• Network: Syfy
  • Series Premiere Date: Dec 2, 2007
6.3

1. JF
    Dec 5, 2007
    How can you reimagine something when you clearly have no imagination? Heck even the score is recycled from Stargate SG-1. If you want a reimagined Oz read "Wicked" -- this piece of junk has put the Sci Fi Channel back 10 years.
  2. DarrenK.
    Dec 20, 2007
    Wow that was bad. Poorly acted and poor story line.
  3. TeeM.
    Dec 2, 2007
    Good Lord this was awful! I love Zoe D. and that's why we wanted to see it in the first place, but if within 15 minutes we recognized this miniseries as a flop, why oh why couldn't people who have FAR more experience making TV couldn't see it? Oh, could it be that they never actuallly WATCH TV??? Apparently, so. Because it would only take a few minutes (sans whiskey) to Good Lord this was awful! I love Zoe D. and that's why we wanted to see it in the first place, but if within 15 minutes we recognized this miniseries as a flop, why oh why couldn't people who have FAR more experience making TV couldn't see it? Oh, could it be that they never actuallly WATCH TV??? Apparently, so. Because it would only take a few minutes (sans whiskey) to recognize this shite as shite. It stinks!! Expand
  4. TonyU.
    Dec 2, 2007
    Richard Dreyfus must have really needed a paycheck. It would be helpful if some of the actors could deliver a line as well. What a waste.
  5. MiguelS.
    Dec 2, 2007
    Flying monkeys flew out of the Sorceress's titties! It went downhill from there, so to speak. This isn't remotely like the Wizard of Oz, it just references it in some way every 15 seconds.
  6. lb
    Dec 3, 2007
    The idea of a "re-visioned" "OZ" is very compelling since the original series of books by l. Frank Baum are dripping with imaginary images and interesting themes. That said, I was not impressed with the latest attempt to bring back a childhood classic in "Tin Man". Zooey Deshanel's acting has much to be desired; ok, so she can open her eyes really WIDE and come off as clueless. The idea of a "re-visioned" "OZ" is very compelling since the original series of books by l. Frank Baum are dripping with imaginary images and interesting themes. That said, I was not impressed with the latest attempt to bring back a childhood classic in "Tin Man". Zooey Deshanel's acting has much to be desired; ok, so she can open her eyes really WIDE and come off as clueless. Richard Dreyfuss...man oh man. He is the "King of the Over Actors" and presently very deperate for a script...any script. The impossibly handsom Neal McDonough is perhaps the most compelling as the title role of "Tin Man" which we learn is a term used for Police Officer. I suppose the small details throughout the movie bugged me most: tornado near house doesn't destroy house, yet debris somehow ends up in "OZ", "Tin Man" fights bad guys and literally throws his cowboy hate at them like James Bond's nemesis "Odd Job", to no effect. The flying monkeys aren't nearly as creepy as the monkeys in the '39 film! My kids pointed out that the monkeys in the classic film were creepier because they were dressed up as porters. "Tin man" has a lot of potential, but I could not help feeling like I was watching a soap opera. So far "Tin Man" feels really flat. Expand
  7. JHenley
    Dec 3, 2007
    Definitely did not live up to my expectations. Watching the flash program on the website repeat for 2 hours would be a more entertaining use of your time. Poor script, mediocre acting from a cast that is capable of much more, and low-budget special effects that are at times painful to watch.
  8. KenG.
    Dec 3, 2007
    I thought this might be a fun adaptationof the story, but so far I feel no connection with the characters whatsoever. In the original Wizard of Oz you cared what happened to Dorothy and her friends but there's nothing likeable about DG and this crew.
  9. RobertS.
    Dec 3, 2007
    What a pointless production! Contrived, heavy handed and silly, totally lacking any redeeming quality, to be watched by those intent on boring themselves into oblivion!
  10. DesireeH
    Dec 3, 2007
    I watched over half of the show and it was sooo boring. It was fun to find the parallels and symbolism within, but my husband and I looked at each other like "what the heck?" during the opening sequence. I will watch the rest tonight on DVR and see if it goes anywhere.
  11. BobS.
    Dec 4, 2007
    Good Lord! Poor script, poor casting, no resemblance to the Wonderful Wizard of OZ in the least! What were these guys thinking?! At least Richard Dreyfus gets off easy as his character dies half-way into the 6 hour mess - unless he is somehow revived in the final 2 hour installment. The only saving grace is the special effects. Other than that - Putrid!
  12. NanoMatrix
    Dec 4, 2007
    CGI and Special effects are not making up the difference between a real story and this production. It appears the writers were already on strike when this was written. Parts of this are truly embarrassing to watch.
  13. CharlesC
    Dec 5, 2007
    An excellent opportunity to make an adult adaptation lost its way. What a mess. This surely will join the Flash Gordon remake as one of television's worst efforts to remake a classic.
  14. Jefframonw
    Dec 6, 2007
    For all it's apparent money and resources, Sci-Fi's original programming uniformly sucks. Everytime I see an ad for a new show or original movie they are promoting, I get a sick feeling in my stomach. It's no surprise that "Tin Man" is the latest in their unrelenting line of pro form a schlock. Let's pray they don't get the rights to The Dark Tower. That would be For all it's apparent money and resources, Sci-Fi's original programming uniformly sucks. Everytime I see an ad for a new show or original movie they are promoting, I get a sick feeling in my stomach. It's no surprise that "Tin Man" is the latest in their unrelenting line of pro form a schlock. Let's pray they don't get the rights to The Dark Tower. That would be a real shame. Such a waste that network's programming is. Expand
  15. NicholasJ.
    Dec 6, 2007
    Just terrible, and if you have seen the film The Wizard of Oz, you will find this twist Horrible.
  16. BiffP.
    Dec 6, 2007
    Not great/Not horrible. Way too long. If they'd done this in 2-3 hours vice 6 it may have even been watchable. As is, I'd recommend a TIVO so you can get through the commercials and slow parts.
  17. Cass
    Dec 3, 2007
    Hated it! As a huge fan of the original Wizard of Oz, I was really excited about Tin Man and had high hopes for it. What a disappointment!
  18. MichaelG.
    Dec 3, 2007
    Beautiful sets, horrible acting. Zooey Deschanel (Dorthy) delivers lines like nails on chalkboard. Anyone involved should have shut down production, but for some reason they continued filming while this actress butchered the flick.
  19. Ruth
    Dec 4, 2007
    What a disaster! I'm not familiar with her other work, but Zooey Deschanel gives the most wooden, disaffected performance I've ever seen. The wicked queen was equally bad. I simply couldn't watch any more after part 1.
  20. CurtC.
    Dec 4, 2007
    Is there someone at Sci Fi to whom I can call and complain?
  21. JaredC.
    Dec 4, 2007
    Supremely unentertaining. Not worth your time.
  22. KrisA.
    Dec 5, 2007
    Forget the fact that this is just horrible but then they show it over.... repeatedly..ad nauseam. Every night, pre empting everything else. It was bad the first time. Now the network is just alienating many if its fans. Annoying!!
  23. AnthonyS.
    Dec 5, 2007
    The biggest waste of 3 nights of TV. Would not recommend this for a DVD rental either.
  24. PeteZ
    Apr 13, 2008
    Sketchy. This series is a joke. I can't believe I even watched it. It is by far the sketchiest movie I have ever seen in my life. Personally I found most of the characters in the series to be creepy and the acting was terrible. Especially the dorothy character. How did she get the role to play dorothy she doesn't even know how to show emotion. Although I will give the writer Sketchy. This series is a joke. I can't believe I even watched it. It is by far the sketchiest movie I have ever seen in my life. Personally I found most of the characters in the series to be creepy and the acting was terrible. Especially the dorothy character. How did she get the role to play dorothy she doesn't even know how to show emotion. Although I will give the writer some credit because he came up with a creative story but I don't think he got the message by that he wanted. it reminded me of the creepy Willy Wonka remake. I couldn't even finish watching it because it was so bad. it would make a really good book but the story line is too sophisticated to make a series out of. It gets way too confusing. Definitely a movie I will never forget. Two thumbs down. Expand
  25. NealeB
    Dec 16, 2009
    I must say I find this show inspiring, only in that I'm now inspired to take up writing myself, because certainly I couldn't possibly write anything worse than this foetid piece of steaming manure. Touted as a re-imaganing of "The Wizard of OZ", this is in fact a no-imaganing by this show's producers and writers in a shameless attempt to cash in on a classic. The story line I must say I find this show inspiring, only in that I'm now inspired to take up writing myself, because certainly I couldn't possibly write anything worse than this foetid piece of steaming manure. Touted as a re-imaganing of "The Wizard of OZ", this is in fact a no-imaganing by this show's producers and writers in a shameless attempt to cash in on a classic. The story line does not even raise itself to the level of infantile, the characters lack any dimension whatsoever and the acting, particularly by Zooey Deschanel, is quite simply appalling. Unfortunately, this show's producers still labour under the illusion that if you give viewers enough CGI razzamatazz they won't notice the complete lack of substance in every other aspect of the production. All I can hope for is that whoever produced this abysmal excuse for entertainment is promptly taken by a twister to a universe so far removed from ours that there will never be anything else produced by them in this universe and inflicted upon the viewing public under the guise of entertainment. Expand
  26. HeatherC.
    Dec 21, 2007
    I had so much expected from it. But it failed to deliver. The plot was a bit too contrived and everyone looked too serious. And Rawr was just freaky. The dialouge was contrived and the plot was too cheesy for me. But brilliant special effects and a nice twist on the classic tale. Too bad it just didn't live up to my expectations.
  27. MaryM
    Dec 27, 2007
    This was so disappointing! I was really looking forward to seeing a different take on the Oz story and the previews looked interesting. What a disaster! The acting was so bad I could not believe it had made it through to print. The Dorothy actress was so bad, you could make a drinking game out of her facial expressions. One slam for her confused look, maybe a double for surprise. So bad! This was so disappointing! I was really looking forward to seeing a different take on the Oz story and the previews looked interesting. What a disaster! The acting was so bad I could not believe it had made it through to print. The Dorothy actress was so bad, you could make a drinking game out of her facial expressions. One slam for her confused look, maybe a double for surprise. So bad! I couldn't make it through the entire thing, but I did feel sorry for the scarecrow. He's a wonderful actor and was trying his best to make the most of the mess around him. I do have to add an additional rotten tomato to the actress who played the "wicked witch". She too was terrible and gave new meaning to over acting. What a bore! After all the hype SciFi gave it in commercials, I will never fall for their ads again. Expand

The execution of "Tin Man" is flat, flatter, flattest. The dialogue is utilitarian, except when it's "Dungeons and Dragons" cliche.
    Tin Man’s heart is in the right place, even if the execution of the story evokes, from time to time, creakiness of the metal man’s limbs.
  3. Reviewed by: Ken Tucker
    Unfortunately, Robertson's heaving bodice is her most expressive aspect; this miniseries needed a villain with a wicked sense of humor, but she and the rest of Tin Man are dour and punitive.