6.2

1. Mar 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've stayed away from Torchwood since I finished season 3, I wasn't a fan at the end of it.
    So I finally come back to Miracle Day. And I have to wonder to myself where the mentality of people go.
    A current User Score of 6.3 is way too high for this mind numbingly bad idea.
    Notice there, I said "IDEA", because if you think about the premise of Miracle Day, it doesn't matter about anything they say matters, because people can't die.
    If people can't die, then there's nothing anyone needs to worry about. And neither does anything else that's said, diseases - the only reason we fear diseases is because we would die if we contracted a deadly one. And we can't die because of "The Miracle" Then there's the food. Why do people need food? To continue living.
    That's out the window then, isn't it? Yes, we'd end up as stick thin skeletons with a tiny skin sack around it, but that doesn't change anything.

That's the problem with this series. The initial premise "sounds" cool, but lacks anything beyond that.
    Take Season 1, the premise is a rag-tag band of guerrilla fighters protect the world from alien threats that slip through the net. Tell me why season one should fit that mark? Because other than Day One (and that is a VERY tight squeeze to fit it) the stories are lame, sexed up versions of BAD Dr Who Episodes.
    Season 2, the premise is to learn more about Jack's past as Time Agent. Do we? Not really, we get some lame and pitiable character development and death within the same series smacks of "Well, we don't know what to do with them, kill 'em."
    That might sound hard but it's the truth, building up the stories of Tosh and Owen and then suddenly killing them off shows lack of respect with both their characters, a lack of respect for the fans and a lack of respect for the writing involved.
    Children of Earth could have been a turning point, it wasn't great but it showed a marked improvement over the terrible characterisation and bad writing of the previous two seasons. But then came Miracle Day.

With anything that Russell T Davies has produced in this vein, there's other things given and shoved in our faces than a fantastical story that should be the main focus.
    While with Torchwood and Who, he injects a form of social satire into it, the constant and stupid news reports with talking heads, I sometimes think he read too much Frank Miller and loved the talking heads in TDKR.
    But the worst part about Torchwood is the over-saturated Sex in it. I don't mind my Whovian world being mixed with a raunchy scene here or there. Just like the cheesecake I occasionally eat.
    But I don't have it for every meal and not in Super Sized amounts either.
    I don't have issue with the gay and lesbian relationships in the Torchwood story, I applaud the fact that gay relationships are being shown on TV, but if you want to do so much sex with any gender, don't set it in a Sci-Fi Show, create a drama where sex is a major feature in it. A Sci-fi show can have sexiness in it sure, we can even have sex as a feature in it. Just understand that the target demographic of this genre is going to want to see sci-fi stuff as the major feature, sure the sex is always going to be appealing, but we like the aliens and ray guns and spaceships and monsters and everything to do with the freaking genre too!

Torchwood was a bold attempt to make a Darker and more dangerous style of sci-fi and to do it with Who as well, I think it could have worked with a better creative staff.
    It's gone now, and should really stay that way.
  2. Nov 28, 2014
    I've been in disbelief for the past month... how the **** could a show writer do this? what were they thinking? This has got to be some of the utmost tripe I've seen on television in the 21st century, after a series of something I called "The best of british tv this century" and how amazing it was. This is the next chapter... NO.. this needs to be retconned, I don't care how, it needs toI've been in disbelief for the past month... how the **** could a show writer do this? what were they thinking? This has got to be some of the utmost tripe I've seen on television in the 21st century, after a series of something I called "The best of british tv this century" and how amazing it was. This is the next chapter... NO.. this needs to be retconned, I don't care how, it needs to never have happened. DO NOT Watch this.. end it at Children of Earth.. that ending is beautiful. NOT LIKE THIS!!! I swear to god. PLEASE DO NOT let this be canon. whoever is saying this is a 10/10 like these **** theyre SOOO WRONG!! PLEASE I BEG YOU NOT TO WATCH IT!! I AM BEGGING YOU!! Expand
  3. Jan 26, 2014
    Being a die-hard Torchwood fan, I had rather high expectations for this fourth series. Unfortunately, there were entirely too many different writers...not to mention double the number of needed episodes to portray such positively atrocious writing. Mr. Davies completely tossed out three years of established canon and I was left more than a wee bit disappointed. There were a few brightBeing a die-hard Torchwood fan, I had rather high expectations for this fourth series. Unfortunately, there were entirely too many different writers...not to mention double the number of needed episodes to portray such positively atrocious writing. Mr. Davies completely tossed out three years of established canon and I was left more than a wee bit disappointed. There were a few bright spots, but on the whole, they were few and far between.

Personally, I'd recommend fans who've been there from the beginning of series 1 to give this Americanised version a pass. Stick with what Torchwood is supposed to be: Wales, the Hub and Captain Jack Harkness.
  4. Jul 13, 2011
    I confess that I started watching the 4th season without having seen any of the previous seasons, and without knowing much about the show's background (something about an anagram for Doctor Who?). So it's possible that I'm watching this show without the correct context.

However, as a NEW viewer, and under the impression that the seasons were more or less self-contained, I was intrigued by the premise. A world where no one dies, and the agents that had to track down the source of this mystery: it sounded like it could be interesting.

So boring.

So ridiculously bland and uninspired, I was amazed at how much they'd spent on the marketing. With that kind of budget, you'd think they could have hired some decent writers.

The revelation "miracle day" event is really dry, and the exposition is completely unimaginative. A nurse tells a CIA agent that she's checked with other hospitals, and no one's died. People just won't die. Even in the UK, no one's dying. It's a miracle. I thought it was luck, but obviously something is interfering with life. No one's dying. And on and on and on for a few more minutes.

No one bothered to do any kind of fact-checking, so you're continually "taken out of" the show by the obvious inconsistencies made by the production team. A CIA agent spells Torchwood over the phone (to another agent), letter by letter, rather than using the phonetic alphabet (which I'm pretty sure the CIA uses). The fluid in a lethal injection IV is neon green, since we're all too dumb to understand that clear liquid could be poison. A rifle with a gigantic suppressor on it is just as loud as the rifle firing back at it (without a suppressor). The list goes on.

Did I mention how boring the show is? The dialogue is wooden, the actors try way too hard (or not at all), and any sense of danger or suspense that might be generated by the many action scenes is lost because we don't know who these characters are, so there's really no reason to care if they live or die. And they can't die, so now there's even less of a reason.

The characters are lifeless, all attempts at intrigue or suspense fall flat, and even the "what if no one could die" premise starts to feel played out by the end of the first episode.

If you're new to the show, do yourself a favor, and don't waste 51 minutes of your life on this.
  5. Jul 31, 2011
    i've seen the first 3 seasons of Torchwood and they are serviceable, but utterly forgettable kids fluff (ala Doctor Who) which is to say they're fine...

...season 4 of Torchwood is the worst television i've ever seen...it's **** may be the worst thing i've ever seen. I'd love to write a more thorough review about the horrible writing, direction and editing of the show, but i would be

I'd love to write a more thorough review about the horrible writing, direction and editing of the show, but i would be wasting my time, which is what you'd be doing by watching this show.
  6. Jul 10, 2011
    Boring, dull and full of mistakes. Bad acting and over acting abound. The writers also make up their own rules as to how the USA does things, such as in the 'whole pedophile gets out of jail' plot--our judicial system doesn't work like that.

1. Reviewed by: Matt Roush
    Jul 15, 2011
    Our heroes' new companions may be less than electrifying, but there's plenty of action to compensate--and, as always, sex (though Capt. Jack now asks about protection)--and a chilling adversary in Oswald Danes (Bill Pullman), a psycho killer who survives execution and becomes a perverse cult hero in the media.
  2. Reviewed by: Maureen Ryan
    Jul 8, 2011
    The way to keep both casual and hardcore sci-fi fans in the fold is to tell stories that revolve around memorable characters, to take on compelling questions and to give the tales intellectual and emotional plausibility. Torchwood: Miracle Day doesn't quite have all those elements nailed down all the time, but it gets reasonable chunks of those things right--enough to keep me tuning in and hoping that the story gains coherence (and not just speed) over the course of the season.
  3. Reviewed by: Lynnette Porter
    Jul 8, 2011
    The most effective scenes focus on characters' interactions, the sorts of moments Torchwood always did well.