Under the Dome : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Jun 24, 2013
Season #: 1, 2, 3
5.9

1. Jun 24, 2014
    Another show that looked to have potential in the pilot, but this show is crap too. It has some of the worst characters on TV, some horrible acting, and story lines we could care less about.
  2. Jul 11, 2013
    I had really high hopes for this show, it was just awful. I'm going to give it a 0/10, I just didn't like one thing about it. This is awful. Its just terrible.
  3. Aug 3, 2013
    The roles the actors are asked to play are not characters, they are caricatures, thinly draw yet at times comically over exaggerated. The insanely jealous 'boyfriend' is the worst of many examples. No matter how good a story might be (and I won't even stick around to see how the story evolves) I cannot get past such a flaw in the writing.
  4. Nov 17, 2013
    The show was very promising at the first two or three episodes, but went downhill on later episodes to the finale. It's just so ridiculous. The only good actor in the show is Mike Vogel. The rest of the cast are making the show looks like a comedy to me. A total mess.
  5. Jul 1, 2013
    I think I have finally reached my limit of dystopian/apocalyptic survival premises in which Conrad's Heart of Darkness is played over and over again. The only thing that's missing here is cannibalism, but maybe if I stick around long enough (fat chance), someone will dine on another. Enough already.
  6. Oct 3, 2013
    Stephen King's book wasn't great and was definitely overblown, but the story was sound even if the style wasn't. This rather insulting adaptation which takes many a liberty with the original is full of cliches, irritating characterisations and cloying sentimentality. In all fairness episode 1 worked really well and the one thing that the show excels at is the special effects. It's allStephen King's book wasn't great and was definitely overblown, but the story was sound even if the style wasn't. This rather insulting adaptation which takes many a liberty with the original is full of cliches, irritating characterisations and cloying sentimentality. In all fairness episode 1 worked really well and the one thing that the show excels at is the special effects. It's all watch ably bad, but tiresomely predictable and oh so p c. Occasionally it even remembers to resemble the book. Expand
  7. Jul 18, 2013
    After watching the first two episodes I couldn't understand how Stephen King who I believe is an above average author would create such a simplistic and silly plot. King usually creates quite lifelike and vivid characters, not the kid's play that I saw on television.

So I bought the book...and I can tell you that the series is a not even close to what I've read until now. Well, there's a dome, yep, they got that one right. And some of the character names are the same. But that's basically it.

It's exactly what one would expect from network television these days. A water-downed plot, a few pretty faces and over 10 million people tuning in every week...
  8. Aug 10, 2013
    As much as I wanted to enjoy this, with Jack Bender's directing credentials and being an adaptation of a Steven King novel, it does disappoint. Although some of the performances from the veteran actors were okay, the younger and inexperienced actors come off as cliched and 1 dimensional. Although I mentioned Jack Bender earlier, he did not direct the season premiere, which is unfortunateAs much as I wanted to enjoy this, with Jack Bender's directing credentials and being an adaptation of a Steven King novel, it does disappoint. Although some of the performances from the veteran actors were okay, the younger and inexperienced actors come off as cliched and 1 dimensional. Although I mentioned Jack Bender earlier, he did not direct the season premiere, which is unfortunate seeming as the directing was distinctly average. I also mentioned Steven King, whose adaptations usually result in stellar pieces of writing, here, it falls short. The special effects were also off and detracted from the overall experience. I barely finished the pilot episode and would recommend that you avoid this show. Expand
  9. Oct 1, 2015
    First season is not very bad. Second season is bad. I started to watch third season then my cat ran away from the house and it took me 3 days to find her. My cat has since never been the same. UNDER THE DOME BROKE MY CAT. Would no re-watch.
  10. Aug 12, 2013
    I finally turned it off. Stupid people doing stupid things for no apparent reason. It's like half the town is brain dead and just doing whatever without a plan. The rest rape, steal and murder with impunity. If this is a true metaphor for how mankind is dealing with limited resources then we are all in big trouble.
  11. Aug 30, 2013
    There's not much sci-fi here except for the dome. Otherwise it's a poorly written, clichéd, and predictable melodrama that should be included in the same category as a soap opera. Where and when it's not clichéd, it is so politically correct as to nearly be a cliché. A Lost wannabe, and a washed down version at that. The characters are cardboard and unbelievable, and the drama feels forcedThere's not much sci-fi here except for the dome. Otherwise it's a poorly written, clichéd, and predictable melodrama that should be included in the same category as a soap opera. Where and when it's not clichéd, it is so politically correct as to nearly be a cliché. A Lost wannabe, and a washed down version at that. The characters are cardboard and unbelievable, and the drama feels forced so much so that the actions and thought processes of the characters are simply ridiculous, unbelievable, and very difficult to watch. Expand
  12. Jul 16, 2013
    This is defiantly the worst show of the summer. The acting and writing is just awful, the plot is predictable, and it is just terribly made. CBS programming has been pretty trashy in the last couple years. This show confirms this for me. If you like decent programming stay away from this show.
  13. Sep 7, 2014
    I watched a couple episodes a long time ago and it looked really lame and boring. The characters were bland and the dialogue was very poor. It was also very slow and boring. I just felt like I was wasting my time watching it and I never will again. You should definitely skip watching this one. Hope this helped.
  14. Sep 4, 2013
    I admit, there's a certain satisfaction in watching this series disintegrate over the last few months. The initial premise was more than interesting enough to make up for the deficiencies, but over time as essentially nothing happens to advance the plot--and it's taken 11 episodes to get 8 days into the story--you can no longer ignore the problems. I'm not on set, of course, but you haveI admit, there's a certain satisfaction in watching this series disintegrate over the last few months. The initial premise was more than interesting enough to make up for the deficiencies, but over time as essentially nothing happens to advance the plot--and it's taken 11 episodes to get 8 days into the story--you can no longer ignore the problems. I'm not on set, of course, but you have to lay blame at the feet of the director.

The worst problem is probably the wooden acting. Even the kids, for whom this could be a breakout performance, are so clearly phoning it in that it's laughable. But without any acting to distract you, the innumerable issues with the plot and continuity are just that much easier to notice. It's just full of fundamental logistical and environmental inconsistencies which you could ignore, except they supposedly play a role in the plot. Where is the water coming from? Why is the power still on? Remember the giant bomb? Were there no consequences? Aren't there like 5,000 people in this town? Where are they all? Do their toilets still flush?

It's a complete train wreck, almost unbearable to watch as it progresses.
  15. Oct 22, 2015
    I couldn't watch more than the first episode, which bored me so much. Nothing is natural nor subtle in the show, and situations which could have been realistic and simply grotesque.
  16. Jul 31, 2013
    I'm not interested in the pyhco boyfriend or whose hoarding gas or junk, is this a sci fi or what? The only way i can stand watching this show is recording it and fast forwarding to the interesting bits which are not many. Where is this story going anyway.
  17. Sep 9, 2013
    This is getting more and more stupid I guess they are just going to kill everyone and the only one left will be Big Jim. There is no sense to this. Where did this giant reservior come from in the middle of the town? it is a physical impossibility. Typical Stephen King trash.
  18. Aug 8, 2013
    The only time You care about a character is when you want them to die, so you don't have to watch them anymore. Other than the 2 main male actors, it feels like we are watching extras reading terrible dialogue.

The biggest mystery in the dome is actually the Lesbian family... 3 hard-to-look-at females. You immediately assume that what they lack in looks will be made up for in talent.. but no. Well, at least the same sex family will have an interesting story when isolated in this traditional small town... right? ...WRONG.

If the concept seems intriguing, i strongly suggest reading (or listening) to the book. The show turns a good story into a high school play.
  19. Aug 22, 2013
    I wanted to like this show... But like so many before it in this genre (Jericho, Revolution, Defiance, et al) it was a complete fail. Characters making irrational choices, forced uninspired and uninteresting crisis moments, trope after trope, one dimensional characters, HORRIBLE acting (even by historically good actors), poor CGI, and awful dialogue. The premise is the only potentiallyI wanted to like this show... But like so many before it in this genre (Jericho, Revolution, Defiance, et al) it was a complete fail. Characters making irrational choices, forced uninspired and uninteresting crisis moments, trope after trope, one dimensional characters, HORRIBLE acting (even by historically good actors), poor CGI, and awful dialogue. The premise is the only potentially exciting aspect of the show. How do these writers, directors, and producers get their jobs? Have they ever watched Game of Thrones or Walking Dead to see how it SHOULD be done? They would have done better giving a first year film class the project. Waste of time. So sad-- it's my favorite genre. Expand
  20. Aug 31, 2013
    Very disappointed that this turned out to be a melodramatic 'people are horrible when cut off from society' show, as opposed to a science fiction show. I thought it would be a loaded with surprizes, mystery, and great characters but in fact became predictable, barely about the mystery and I wasn't cheering for anyone. What kept me watching was that there was some really good acting, IVery disappointed that this turned out to be a melodramatic 'people are horrible when cut off from society' show, as opposed to a science fiction show. I thought it would be a loaded with surprizes, mystery, and great characters but in fact became predictable, barely about the mystery and I wasn't cheering for anyone. What kept me watching was that there was some really good acting, I thought both Britt Robertson (as Angie) and Alexander Koch (as the very disturbing Junior) were very good. I tried to keep it on my schedule, but decided to stop watching after Episode 6 because it just got too disturbing. Expand
  21. Mar 15, 2014
    The concept and idea behind the show is exciting and interesting which gave me high hopes for this show, but the writing is terrible and so is some of the acting. Some of the writing is so bad that I almost feel sorry for the people writing this dribble (why wast such a good idea?) and a few of the characters are so excruciating to watch that I don't know if I'll ever bother with seasonThe concept and idea behind the show is exciting and interesting which gave me high hopes for this show, but the writing is terrible and so is some of the acting. Some of the writing is so bad that I almost feel sorry for the people writing this dribble (why wast such a good idea?) and a few of the characters are so excruciating to watch that I don't know if I'll ever bother with season two. i'll just buy the book it's based on instead! Expand
  22. Aug 26, 2014
    Bottom line: this is a terrible show.

No one who has ever seen a TV series can with a serious face appreciate Under the Dome on any level. In fact, comparing this to the dozens of shows I have followed in my life (currently I'm watching 70 different series a year), I'm convinced that Under the Dome is the worst TV series I have ever seen. Giving it a score of one would be too kind.
    Bottom line: this is a terrible show.

The characters are laughably birdbrained. Their decisions make no sense, they change their minds all the time without direction. They get themselves in trouble because they are so massively stupid, and they turn against each other on a whim even though only a second earlier they were friends. Then there are characters who for some reason just disappear for several episodes. The people outside the dome (who for some reason are almost non-existent from the show) can consider themselves lucky for being isolated from this town of morons.

The plot lines are so bad they make me cry. Introduced plot lines are soon forgotten, abandoned or buried for no reason. They leave so many questions unanswered. The challenges that are thrown at the town are faced with the intelligence of a five-year-old and pseudo-scientific solutions. There are so many holes in the plot that it makes Swiss cheese jealous.

But the worst thing has to be the dialogue. There is nothing good to say about it. It is just so absolutely inane. Like during the fifth episode when Jim and Rebecca tried to release a deadly virus to kill a large part of the town population. What did Julia say about this to the townspeople? This: "What Big Jim and Rebecca tried to do yesterday is inexcusable. But it's not unforgivable." What? What kind of stupid comment is that after they tried to kill hundreds of people? The dialogue is completely void of emotion, reason and logic.

Some viewers say we shouldn't take this show too seriously. To them this is just a little bit of fun summer entertainment. Unfortunately this is not the case. There are many shows out there that are made for fun and that don't take themselves too seriously, and yet they manage to make sense. Under the Dome however does not do this. It takes itself too seriously while not making any sense. It is just an appalling insult to human intelligence and should under no circumstances be praised. Even playing Russian Roulette with six bullets in the chamber is more fun than watching this show.

There is no reason for anyone to even call this show "OK", "decent" or "passable". Let's call this what it is: a sad, pathetic excuse for a TV show without any redeeming qualities. I have no idea how on earth a bunch of professional writers and producers have managed to create something this bad. They should hang their heads in shame.
  23. Sep 17, 2014
    This show is so bad, So so bad. I kept thinking it would get better. But after watching the 2nd to last show in season 2 I am speechless at how badly written and clunky and the acting is. It is not even laugh at bad, it is grimace bad.
  24. Aug 21, 2013
    This show is not very good. If i didn't see Breaking Bad i wouldn't know how great of an actor Dean Norris is. Rachelle Lefevre is from Revolution and plays pretty much the same type of character she did in that show and its very generic so i have no idea how much she can bring to her work. All the other actors seemingly do their jobs as best they can with a really terrible script. TheThis show is not very good. If i didn't see Breaking Bad i wouldn't know how great of an actor Dean Norris is. Rachelle Lefevre is from Revolution and plays pretty much the same type of character she did in that show and its very generic so i have no idea how much she can bring to her work. All the other actors seemingly do their jobs as best they can with a really terrible script. The problem with "under the Dome" is not the ideas for the world they exist in or the relationships and character choices but how quickly the characters are forced to service the next plot point without really being affected by the last drama they just experienced. Its like the show is going through a checklist of moments they have to hit for drama's sake. So the result is a seemingly very stupid script that doesn't even hold as much logic as a night time soap like "Revenge". Its like a series of short video clips of characters dealing with a bunch of writer's ideas for drama inside this domed town.
    What they should have done (regardless of the book's plot points which i never read) is let the character's choices affect the characters and develop in the character's relationship to how they deal with a few simple choices. There are way way way too many crazy plot developments for each character and the story lines are abandoned by the writing by the end of two episodes. It's as if it all didn't matter because now we are on to the next thing. Its like its written by a twelve year old. This show makes me yell at the screen "really? you just did that and now your going to just move on as if it never happened?"
  25. Dec 28, 2013
    I was excited to see this show based but it ended up a huge disappointment and no better than Harper's Island (itself an atrocious TV serial). The characters in Under The Dome are paper thin to match the story. It is larded with cliche and contrived plot points, things like the following: Person A: "I wonder what the old sheriff was up to" Person B: "Well, he never walked around withoutI was excited to see this show based but it ended up a huge disappointment and no better than Harper's Island (itself an atrocious TV serial). The characters in Under The Dome are paper thin to match the story. It is larded with cliche and contrived plot points, things like the following: Person A: "I wonder what the old sheriff was up to" Person B: "Well, he never walked around without his hat." Person B then takes his hat from the coat rack and looks inside. "Hey, here's a key hidden in his brim." Person A: "I have one just like it, it opens a safety deposit box!" Person B: "Let's go!"
    I'm paraphrasing here, but not by much. This is just about the complexity of the story that runs throughout the entire series. I haven't even finished the final disc...I'm painstakingly making my way through the last few episodes.
    Another example is the town psycho is deputized after performing one nice deed. It makes absolutely no sense. The entire town knows he's a nutter! And there are so many contrived instances of drama, such as one of the police officer's pulling his gun on a crowd because he can't handle the pressure of the Dome. It makes absolutely zero sense, and there's no way a trained officer would crack like that. It's the type of shoe-horned drama that falls so flat it turns the desired moment laughable.
    There are also many "As you know Bob" moments, which is to say that a character says something that would never be said, but only to 'educate' the audience. An early example is how electronics stopped working and one character questions why his watch still works, and the female officer glances over at his watch and 2 seconds later says "I can see that watch is a windup...this must only effect battery operated devices" or some such nonsense that is telegraphed as information for the audience but in fact makes you feel like you're watching a teaching moment on par with Sesame Street.
    These ratings are certainly arbitrary. I gave it a 2. It could be a 1 or a 3 or some variant in-between. The point to bring home is it is very bad television.
    If you are a fan of mindlessly contrived auctioneers such as the aforementioned Harper's Island, or Prison Break, or 24 (though even 24 had some fun moments in the early seasons), then this would be right up your alley. But if you like smart television (the things you would see on HBO, AMC, Showtime), then this program is NOT for you.
    The fact that the critics have rated this a higher score than the users is, in fact, mind boggling. Normally I find that the critics have an eye for quality, at least more so than the masses. Here, inexplicably, the lower user score is the more reliable number (though still far too high, IMRO).
  26. Jul 23, 2014
    The first episodes where great, after that it kept the tension up for the rest of season 1.

But, enter season two. That was the great decline into product placement and worse storylines. It became barely tolerable to watch, but the episode that did it for me was the one in which the cast chased some magic 3G/wi-fi signal, that somehow penetrated the dome (even when a MOAB bomb

It became barely tolerable to watch, but the episode that did it for me was the one in which the cast chased some magic 3G/wi-fi signal, that somehow penetrated the dome (even when a MOAB bomb couldn't get trough in season one), with their Windows (tm) 8 (c) tablets, and spending close to 5 minutes of screentime showing off how awesome those tablets are, and how nice and easy it is to read e-mails on them!

Another series that seems to think it's viewers are mindless zombie-consumers.

Shame on you, Stephen King.
  27. Jul 2, 2013
    Sorry.....I'm a huge fan of the book and these re-writes are TERRIBLE. There's a big reason why Stephen King is mega-famous and the writers of this show are not. Horribly disappointed. Read the book....it's amazing.
  28. Aug 11, 2014
    I don't even know where to begin with this absolute train wreck. The dialogue is awful, the pacing is off, the acting is at the best of times bad, at the worst of times I would liken it to a 3rd grade play where the kids were given no time to rehearse.

My roommate is obsessed with this show and I've been forced to sit through several episodes of the second season. Now, everybody loves plot twists. Everybody enjoys being thrown tat curve-ball that makes think. The thing is, at some point, the plot twists actually have to start MAKING SENSE. Much like the disjointed **** that was "Lost", "Under the Dome"s writers seem to just sit around in a circle throwing out random ideas. You know what would be cool? Nuclear butterflies! Oh! And psychic visions! And religious zealots! And genetic pathogens! And a dead girl from 1985! And a mysterious chasm under the school that sends you back in time! AND! AND! AND...etc, etc.

It wouldn't be so bad if there was some kind of line drawn between any of this nonsense. There isn't as far as I can tell. Just a group of hack writers with a fistful of crayons and a nice fat paycheck.

After all the critics raved about this show all last year, I thought I was missing something great. This is bar none the worst show I have seen in a number of years. Awful, just awful, it's the television equivalent of a hydrochloric acid enema.
  29. Sep 21, 2014
    Flat cheezy characters with motives that have to be completely transparent... Retread archetypes that you've seen in 50 previous shows... Bad guys are a politician and a hipster kid... Yes this is tv for yokel morons.
  30. Sep 25, 2014
    This may not be the worst TV series ever, but it ranks right up there. Horrible acting, hackneyed dialogue ("this is what the dome wants," "the dome has chosen me," yadda-yadda). It's like they they cribbed themes from "Lost" and "Heroes" and transmogrified them into the most inane drivel. It boggles one's mind that somebody would put up all the millions it took to produce two seasons ofThis may not be the worst TV series ever, but it ranks right up there. Horrible acting, hackneyed dialogue ("this is what the dome wants," "the dome has chosen me," yadda-yadda). It's like they they cribbed themes from "Lost" and "Heroes" and transmogrified them into the most inane drivel. It boggles one's mind that somebody would put up all the millions it took to produce two seasons of this series, or that the network would give it all that air time. I can't believe I wasted two seasons watching this potboiler. Since things were left hanging in the season finale, one assumes there will be -- God knows why -- a third season. Which you could not pay me to watch. Will the townspeople escape the dome? Will everyone live happily ever after? What does the dome REALLY want? Does anyone remotely care? Not I... Expand

1. Reviewed by: Joanne Ostrow
    Jun 24, 2013
    Not only is it creepy, suspenseful and full of splendid special effects, veteran actors and fresh young faces, but it's laced with big thoughts about environmentalism and the future of the planet.
    You don't immediately sense how all of the characters are connected or how they might eventually become connected--most of the pilot is scene-setting and mood-building--but what's onscreen is compelling.
  3. Reviewed by: Willa Paskin
    Jun 24, 2013
    Based on just one episode, it’s hard to tell how the series will unfold, but the mood, threatening, uneasy, a little kinky, is there, and that just might be enough.