• Network: Lifetime
  • Series Premiere Date: Jan 16, 2014
  • Season #: 1
2.4

1. Mar 2, 2014
    Worse each week. Mentors are awful, not enough attention to designers, poor Tim Gunn. Why aren't mentors being critiqued? Nick was never very talented - send home! Anya is witchy -"I did all I could" ha! - send her home, too. Mondo is most hands-off but really does nothing. How many masochists like me are still watching this bomb?
  2. Jan 16, 2014
    Sorry, I need to rip the bandaid off by saying... this was SO boring! I love Tim Gunn, and really wanted to love this show, but I just couldn't. The biggest problem is that they were going on and on and on about who was going to be on which mentor team. BORING! The concept of having the mentors was ok, but the show just didn't keep my interest. We want to see designers..making clothes..and sending them down the runway to be judged. Period. This was sad and painful to watch. Expand
  3. Mar 4, 2014
    Everything about the show feels prearranged. The whole idea of having Anya as a mentor is a joke but Nick Verreos seems very precious and full of himself every episode.

and the biggest problem is Tim Gunn seems very insincere. Project Runway has its set of problems, but it has never been concerned with the looks of the cast as much as Under the Gunn is. A very weak show and certainly
    poorest production Tim Gunn has ever been a part of. Expand
  4. Mar 20, 2014
    I love Tim Gunn, but the first two episodes were agonizing to wait until they selected teams. I am not at all interested. Also the poor designers had no say to develop themselves because the mentors were inflicting their style on them. They are to assist, not to have the designers do their style. Let them alone and provide "guidance". I felt Tim had no backbone with the mentors. He should have stopped Nick in his tracks. Mondo is too overbearing. Anya ... well, it is really a badly designed show. Having the judges pass the buck to who goes home because they don't really want to make the decision is not good also. It is a filler waiting for Project Runway. Frankly, I don't think this system worked well enough. Give those designers some room to breathe. Natalie was afraid to do it herself because she was held by the hand earlier. This entire show was not up to Project Runway standards. I love Tim Gunn and he is the main reason I watched it, but the whole concept needs a great deal of tweaking. And please, don't have us go through 2 weeks of picking teams ever again. That was soooooooooooo painful. Who cares. Get on with it. Judges, do your job and judge. It is not a popularity concept. And Tim... control your mentors. Give the Designers some room to do what they do best ... fail or not... let them design. Expand
  5. Mar 21, 2014
    I have been a fan of Project Runway from the get go.....but I didn't like to see how Tim Gunn slyly shows his favorites. I want the old Project runway to come back. Under The Gunn is very boring. Tonight's episode just sealed the deal fro me setting the D.V.R for this anymore. Contestant designers show their character flaws because they don't realize yet how their behavior is presented. Tim tonight treated the designer that ended up going home "Natalia" with unprofessional disrespect. He should get his blood pressure checked and add a happy pill to the go with it. He could hardly even get his fake adieu well wishes out of his mouth correctly = which means they were not sincere. I think Asha should have gone home. Just cancel the show or do some major revamping without Tim Gunn. Expand
  6. Jan 31, 2014
    Tim Gunn is the ONLY reason I tuned into this show. I was hopeful that maybe we would have more FASHION allowing the designers more than a few hours to create a look so we can really see what they can accomplish. I love the "mentor" concept but lets face it - Tim Gunn is the ULTIMATE MENTOR and no one can hold a candle to him. I do LOVE that each weeks winner is given $5k - a very nice unique feature that Project Runway does not offer (but should!). I also wish Mondo would quit wearing shorts and sandals as this does not look very "fashionable" - more like relaxed Target or Marshall's. Hopefully they will have some "team building" exercises and maybe allow "2-days" to finish a challenge. I will keep tuning in week to week because I can't get enough of Tim Gunn and his awesome ability to help people move forward in the right direction. Hopefully he will inspire his three "mentor hopefuls" to be more like a coaches and allow the designers to be the centers of attention. Oh - love LOVE the new puppy Oscar!!! Where is Swatch??? : ) "MAKE IT WORK TIM GUNN!" Expand
  7. Mar 21, 2014
    It is unfortunate that Tim Gunn was not given a more deserving show, and that these less than deserving "mentors" are a part of the downfall. I am a fashion student, and watch shows such as this for inspiration. All I see here is sub-par judges, such as the Elaine Boosler-esque wannabe, mentors who don't have any self confidence, and an all-over sense on nastiness.
  8. Mar 31, 2014
    This show is a complete SHAM ! Tim Gunn is the worst to allow and be part of the BULLYING that has been shown on this horrible show. SHAME ON YOU TIM GUNN !
  9. Jan 17, 2014
    I joined Metacritic just so I could say that I really enjoyed this show. I look forward to next week's episode more than I have been looking forward to Project Runway. Much less stupid arguing, more about the creative process and mentoring. And lots of Tim Gunn.
  10. Feb 14, 2014
    I love Tim Gunn, and sometimes I love Under the Gunn, too. The mentoring concept is a good one. But it doesn't work when Tim Gunn sees something he doesn't approve of. Instead of mentoring the mentors to get things working better, he gets impatient and shifts from mentoring the mentors, to being judgmental and making decisions for them - the very things he counsels his mentors not to do with their designer teams. If Mr. Gunn can fine-tune his managing style, the show will get better. Otherwise, it will frustrate viewers, because the interactions and designer growth that they watch the show for are not going to be there.. Expand
  11. Mar 31, 2014
    I have been a fan since this franchise was located on another network. At the time of its first cancellation, I was one of a handful of viewers who took to writing anyone and everyone to get this back on the air. At this time, I am sadly disappointed in how Tim is handling his spin off and hope that Lifetime considers pulling the plug on the whole franchise. While I KNOW Lifetime is all about the "drama", this show was never billed as being about bullying (like Dance Mom's) and to see it happening so blatantly is disgusting. Heidi Klum needs to reevaluate Tim Gunn and his ability to be neutral in his role as mentor to these budding designers. His out and out verbal disgust for Natalia, in his Tim Talks, has been egregious. He calls himself a gentleman yet no true gentleman would use the words, tone or language he uses. No PR is NOT what it used to be and it needs to go. Expand
  12. Apr 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Tim Gunn is indeed a sympathetic TV personality, but this is probably the problem of this show.
    In Project Runway he served as a foil to the more tart, mischievous yet (at times unintentionally) funny Heidi Klum; and he certainly provided the more humane side to the often merciless critiques of Nina Garcia and Michael Kors.
    However, Under the Gunn is unable to find the correct chemistry, the "light and shade" that would make it compelling. Gunn should not be the host of a program, he still does have mentor written all over him; the actual mentors chosen lacked the personality to provide a contrast to him, with Mondo as uncomfortable and ill humoured as he was in his seasons of Project Runway and the others unable to drive anything forward. The judges were equally colourless with only Jennifer Rade being "mouthy", as she described herself, and injecting a dose of humor, yet at the same time not coming across as a reliable judge.
    The show was so directionless, in fact, that though the judges had plenty bad to say about the garments, week after week, Gunn himself took on the job of having hysterics or acting crotchety. It did not help that deliberation over winners and losers was short and the announcement of who was staying and leaving badly set up.
    The whole show culminated, in fact, in the prize being given to a collection that was anything but cohesive by a designer with a nice personality, great sewing skills and extremely questionable taste.
    Watching this made me wish that Project Runway should return with Gunn in the role he was born to play: while true the show became more gimmicky, favoring drama over clothes, it is still ultimately a show about creativity which has its format down pat. A little more emphasis on the clothes and the right dose of sweet and sour (the Garcia-Kors duo had become far too much like mean girls at a high school) and this is still probably the most relevant reality show on TV.
    In any case, Project Runway should either go on or die, but like an overwhelming majority of shows, it should refrain from producing spawns.
tbd

No score yet - based on 2 Critics

1. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Jan 31, 2014
    The coach-team setup give the show a slight Voice vibe, but the whole thing feels flat. [10 Feb 2014, p.50]
  2. Reviewed by: Phil Dyess-Nugent
    Jan 15, 2014
    The new Under The Gunn--a Project Runway imitation with Gunn in the head judge’s chair--merely has the feel of lifeboats being lowered.