• Network: Showtime
  • Series Premiere Date: Jan 18, 2009
Season #: 1, 2, 3
7.4

1. Jan 29, 2012
    I have to say even thou this show might not have the most realistic portrayal of psychological diseases but what media portrayal ever has I think this one was almost perfect in that respect of portraying such a disease. I chose to do a review on this season because I believe this is the best season out of the whole show. This season had it all from healing to discovery to redemption toI have to say even thou this show might not have the most realistic portrayal of psychological diseases but what media portrayal ever has I think this one was almost perfect in that respect of portraying such a disease. I chose to do a review on this season because I believe this is the best season out of the whole show. This season had it all from healing to discovery to redemption to emotion to inner turmoil to family to quirky comedy to psychological damage/entanglements to seeking liberation to great writing to great acting-directing-producing-with an already amazing set and an all around near perfection which was made even better with the addition of the two new personalities Shoshana Schoenbaum and Chicken which had even better quirks than tara's original three alters or Gimme. But I think what makes this show truly stand out is the lead character Tara's anguish and suffering that through Toni Collette's Exceptional acting is able to portray in a way that makes us feel and resonates within us sympathy and a deep emotional connection for her. Yes, it's definitely Tara that makes this show her story of a woman trying to get her life back together and trying so hard to be and have a normal life after going through an extremely traumatic experience that made her damaged (coupled with her family feeling the damage of her being damaged and her parents/sister also didn't make Tara's damage any better only worst due to years of her childhood also makes her suffering even more heartfelt) is one that although it's tough to watch it's a remarkable story to watch nonetheless. The biggest props must go to the season finale even though it had drama it was still pretty normal not too over the top not too lazy just completely well-thought out just like this show. This show is a true masterpiece and a cult show that will be remembered through the generations if not by a lot of people but a group of truly dedicated fans. Expand

1. What separates “Tara” from “Jackie,” of course, is that Tara’s family is aware of Tara’s problems and supports her. In creator/writer Diablo Cody’s world, even the most damaged among us can lead healthy lives if they are loved for themselves. That’s a comforting message.
    The conversations are witty without seeming arch or forced, the relationships feel more organic and there are quite a few interesting developments but a distinct lack of franticness.
  3. Whether Tara is herself or someone else (including a new alter), "Tara" works as both a character drama and an absurdist family comedy because the characters are so well-drawn, and because what happened before isn't forgotten as the show moves forward.