8.4

1. May 12, 2012
    Back in the 90s I read some books by Stephen Ambrose about the D-Days and the days that followed, full of memories and quotations from the heroes of those days: the ordinary American soldiers. Vietnam in HD uses the same method, and to a good result. Combined with vivid music and stunning footage, it is a great piece of historical show with a tonn of useful information.
  2. Nov 10, 2011
    The show's not over yet, and I've watched diligently. I'm a 1968 combat veteran...9th Infantry Division, 5th Battalion, 60th Infantry. I arrived in early February, while the Tet Offensive was still in full swing and served 7 months in combat. I was immediately troubled by the first show's description of the Gulf of Tonkin incident and the resultant Gulf of Tonkin Resolution of 1964. Although the narrator states that this incident was "reported", I believe that the pretense is clear. However, it has been clearly established that this was a fabrication and that the resolution was a false pretense to war....not unlike the WMD fantasy that "justified" our incursion into Iraq. I hope that this is acknowledged before the show concludes. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Alan Sepinwall
    Nov 11, 2011
    "WWII in HD" at times felt like a rough outline of what an actual history of the war would look like, but it had all that amazing, horrifying imagery to compensate. The Vietnam in HD footage is no less incredible and/or dismaying, but it's also much more familiar.
  2. Reviewed by: Ed Bark
    Nov 9, 2011
    Vietnam In HD is vivid and compelling without being intrinsically political.
  3. Reviewed by: Hank Stuever
    Nov 9, 2011
    With the line between documentary and amusement-park ride now crossed, it's easy for a critic to start noticing Vietnam in HD's other narrative and technical shortcuts with filler and stock footage, splicing in wherever needed the images we have seen before, including those familiar payload-perspective views of bombs being dropped over the hills and villages.