Vikings : Season 1

Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4
7.8

1. Mar 11, 2013
    Brutal and Beautiful. Gorgeous landscapes and awesome action. They capture the brutality that these men lived. Love Katheryn Winnick's role as Lagertha! What a gorgeous strong woman. She kicks butt!
  2. Feb 10, 2015
    Very much enjoying this series. Its gritty, with plenty of action and some drama to keep interested. Ragnar is an interesting character wavering between warrior and philosopher but seemingly unable to embrace enlightenment completely but that is what makes him believable given the time and conditions they lived in. His brother and eldest son are fairly one dimensional so far but i can seeVery much enjoying this series. Its gritty, with plenty of action and some drama to keep interested. Ragnar is an interesting character wavering between warrior and philosopher but seemingly unable to embrace enlightenment completely but that is what makes him believable given the time and conditions they lived in. His brother and eldest son are fairly one dimensional so far but i can see that changing. Other characters provide good support to tell Ragnars story. "Bad" guys in this show are more convincing than in others ,like Game of Thrones were they are unrealistically despicable. In this show, adversaries all have a good reason to be so and that makes them more formidable in my opinion. Sure the show is not as dramatized as Game of Thrones or other action packed shows but I like that it is more sublime and realistic. I hope they keep it up. Expand
  3. Apr 6, 2013
    Vikings came out of nowhere and has shot to the top of my favorites list. It has gorgeous cinematography, characters with substance, and plots that are perfectly paced and gripping to watch. It's so good immersive and even relaxing to watch at times. I'm so glad it's been renewed for a second season. It transports me to another time and place after a hard day at work like no other showVikings came out of nowhere and has shot to the top of my favorites list. It has gorgeous cinematography, characters with substance, and plots that are perfectly paced and gripping to watch. It's so good immersive and even relaxing to watch at times. I'm so glad it's been renewed for a second season. It transports me to another time and place after a hard day at work like no other show I've watched in a long time. If you haven't seen it yet you are missing out! Expand
  4. Mar 15, 2014
    Brilliant series, wish the seasons were longer, but they're still interesting to watch. I was shown one and just didn't stop. I hope, being on the history channel, there is a good amount of historical accuracy to them too, not an area I have studied to know unfortunately.

I've noticed a few reviews suggest this is not a show for people who have watched all of Spartacus or read and watched Game of Thrones. I disagree having done both and believe it is ultimately personal opinion whether anyone enjoys this show. The storyline may not be exceptionally intricate, but it has its moments and it is not entirely fantasy, which gives it limitations.
  5. Jun 8, 2014
    Pretty dam good show. I was skeptical if i would like it cuz im not really into Norse mythology but i ended up loving this show and wanting to know more about the Norse customs
  6. Sep 6, 2013
    Vikings is an engaging narrative that teaches, so it differs from a traditional documentary, but it isn't quite a drama either. It's a genre I wouldn't mind seeing replicated.
  7. Jun 24, 2013
    Vikings is a brutal drama that tries to keep itself in the borders of history yet tell a story of it's own.The series has a dark story,good actors and realistic combat.That pretty much sums it up,an awesome series that you should definitely watch.
  8. May 5, 2014
    Vikings, a series to follow and I recommend to all who like this style of historical series.

We find ourselves in full viking age and the least we can say is that the costumes, scenery, landscapes and acting is, everything is super good made and the story is really involved. We want to continue to follow the story of Ragnar Lodbrok who is particularly bloody. Really **** up, a

Really **** up, a superb series do not miss it.
  9. Jun 6, 2014
    It is like ... or actually my conviction is: Michael Hirst is trying to celebrate every cultures' 'greatness' ...
    And now he is expression my cultures' greatness, legends, mythes and much, much more!

For me! Michael Hirst, and the actors, and the Co. behind ... proving top class "new morden" art!

Deepest respect, if my conviction is true!
  10. Jul 9, 2014
    I love Vikings because Historical shows are my favorite genre and I can honestly say it amused me more than Game of Thrones this season (4). Weird, huh? Its still sacrilege to say that out loud in my house.

BUT it does have its faults for being on the History Channel. I feel like a lot of backstory is being lost in the editing room to make time for commercial breaks and so some characters (Rollo) are not fully investigated yet play a crucial part in the show. The battle scenes are great though and as a woman, I truly truly enjoyed seeing a love triangle play out with the women being respectful and strong for themselves instead of playing dirty. We need more of that.
  11. Sep 29, 2014
    Finally a series not centered on sex or political,also a great reconstruction of the history.
    wonderful the characters and great the actors,especially Travis Fimmel,Katheryn Winnick,Clive Standen and Gustaf Skarsgard.
    Simply spectacular!
    I love these series,and i wait for the third season!
  12. Mar 6, 2013
    Rather than comparing it to Game of Thrones, I'd say it's closer to a basic cable cousin of HBO's Rome. It quite watchable. What I especially like is that it covers a race of people (the Norsemen) that we in America know little about
  13. Mar 19, 2013
    An interesting mix of drama and history, that seems to well illustrate the differences between these ancient pagan warriors beliefs and modern day morals. The plot is nothing radical, but its solid, well written and well acted add in some beautiful scenery and a little action and your onto a winner.
  14. Mar 6, 2013
    Awesome, pure awesome. This is why we watch History Channel. This is no doubt their best docudrama since Hatfields and Mccoys. Trust me, you should watch it immediately.
  15. Apr 6, 2013
    A passable series, though far from excellent. The dialogue is unsophisticated, and characters rather simple as well. Though, the sole exception would have to be actor Travis Fimmel, who shines quite brightly in his role as Ragnar (the series' protagonist). It's a shame "Vikings" is shackled by the network it airs on, and must pander to the History Channel's new dim-witted demographic.
  16. Apr 27, 2013
    This is far more better than overrated Game of thrones full of surprises and tally with the history and well acted TV show. People should appreciated this kind of hard work rather than overrated TV shows such as Game of thrones.
  17. Apr 29, 2013
    Here's the best thing I could conjure up to say about ‘The Vikings’ it’s not bad. And that is pretty much all it has going for it it’s not bad and the writing is not poor, the cinematography is rather good actually. Any comparison to HBOs ‘Game Of Thrones’ is very unfair and infact I’d go ahead and say it’s an insult to the immensely imaginative world George RR Martin created. ThereHere's the best thing I could conjure up to say about ‘The Vikings’ it’s not bad. And that is pretty much all it has going for it it’s not bad and the writing is not poor, the cinematography is rather good actually. Any comparison to HBOs ‘Game Of Thrones’ is very unfair and infact I’d go ahead and say it’s an insult to the immensely imaginative world George RR Martin created. There isn’t a single character you’ll meet in ‘The Vikings’ whom you’ve not met before. Lot of people have suggested that it has a very complex plot I don’t get it, I didn’t see any complex plot (stopped watching after 4 episodes) or for that matter a relatively linear one too. Plenty of folks have given it a 10 I understand that, there is a demograph out there that’ll think this is a piece of art and the “plot” is incredible. How can you tell if you’r part of that demography did you read and like the work of George RR Martin? Are you a huge fan of ‘Game of Thrones’ Did you hate Spartacus the series not the fellow) If you answer in affirmative to any 2 of these questions then this is not the show for you. If you are not sure what affirmative means then this just might be the series which will occupy the number one slot on your best of the decade list and I sincerely hope you enjoy it. Expand
  18. Mar 31, 2013
    This is a BRUTAL, EXCITING, and ENTERTAINING storyline. Unlike so many shows that get boring after the premiere and dont pick back up until the finale (the walking dead with a ton of filler) Vikings actually keeps its momentum! It is not my favorite show when compared to game of thrones, dexter, etc. but I really do enjoy this show quite a bit! MAJOR props to the history channel! IThis is a BRUTAL, EXCITING, and ENTERTAINING storyline. Unlike so many shows that get boring after the premiere and dont pick back up until the finale (the walking dead with a ton of filler) Vikings actually keeps its momentum! It is not my favorite show when compared to game of thrones, dexter, etc. but I really do enjoy this show quite a bit! MAJOR props to the history channel! I strongly suggest Vikings! Expand
  19. Apr 14, 2013
    I adore this new show, The Vikings. It makes you learn some history and the scenery is gorgeous. Also, love the cast! Travis Trimmel is wonderful as Ragnor and his wife is a fierce warrior. It transports you back into the 8th-11th centuries of Viking existence and reign.
  20. Apr 13, 2014
    The dialogues are stale and not memorable. The fighting scenes are cool when you first watch it, but every other battle scene beyond the 1st feels like a repeat of the previous. The plot is pretty annoying, it feels more and more as if the creators are driving the events by "what would be more cool" that'll happen rather than "what would make sense". What's the problem? The problem is thatThe dialogues are stale and not memorable. The fighting scenes are cool when you first watch it, but every other battle scene beyond the 1st feels like a repeat of the previous. The plot is pretty annoying, it feels more and more as if the creators are driving the events by "what would be more cool" that'll happen rather than "what would make sense". What's the problem? The problem is that this is not a choice, a good creator would manage to combine the "cool" part with the part that makes sense. The plot suffers from alot of inaccuracy and sometimes characters that are presented "wise" are doing things that are strictly stupid just for the outcome of battles and fake intrigue. (I would give examples but it would spoil alot, find it yourself.)
    There is almost no character background or development. Alot of historical inaccuracy and the added fiction they made was silly(The priests without eyes made me laugh)
    HOWEVER. The show is watchable. It's not a good show that is all.
  21. Mar 23, 2014
    This show is simply great... The guy whining about how its not factual, get a life dude!
    Rarely are the networks to be applauded, but history hit a home run here and did a damn good job at it.
    Off show topic Black Sail's is another awesome show.. Both shows are, fun gritty and well acted!

So here's to Star's & History Channel ** GOOD JOB GUYS ** =)
  22. Jul 28, 2014
    I came to this show looking to learn about real viking culture, I was unpleasantly surprised. This show throws history out the window in an attempt to reel in game of thrones fans, I cant believe its on the history channel. But if you forget about that it becomes a decent show with an interesting theme, great landscape pretty good costumes, and some nice and gory battles. I wouldI came to this show looking to learn about real viking culture, I was unpleasantly surprised. This show throws history out the window in an attempt to reel in game of thrones fans, I cant believe its on the history channel. But if you forget about that it becomes a decent show with an interesting theme, great landscape pretty good costumes, and some nice and gory battles. I would recommend this if you don't have anything else to watch and you like game of thrones but don't walk away from this thinking you have learned lots about the vikings because you haven't. Expand
  23. Sep 10, 2014
    Being a Scandinavian and a former history student, this series gives me a headache. It's authenticity is very low and the setting and behaviour of the characters reminds much more of som kind of flimsy dystopian samurai movie. The fact that its mostly filmed in all other places than Scandinavia could contribute to this. This series is an example of bad understanding of norse mentality andBeing a Scandinavian and a former history student, this series gives me a headache. It's authenticity is very low and the setting and behaviour of the characters reminds much more of som kind of flimsy dystopian samurai movie. The fact that its mostly filmed in all other places than Scandinavia could contribute to this. This series is an example of bad understanding of norse mentality and understanding of the world at that time. In short; this is a huge let down. Expand
  24. Mar 12, 2013
    History presented this way is awesome! I really like how they managed to bring the Vikings, their families and their beliefs back to life. It let people get more familiar with our human roots, how people who had to "set sails" for new shores influenced at least the whole Europe and the middle east. Even for those who are not interested in history, it is a must watch. No fantasy. Just saga.
  25. Mar 11, 2013
    The Viking Religion

The Viking Religion

Vikings are awesome, as are the myths of pre-Christian Scandinavia that come with them. There are giant hammers, eight-legged horses and Ragnarok, in which the universe is kicked to death by fire and the bad guys pilot a ship made of corpse fingernails. It's like one giant, eternal '80s metal album cover. But for many people those who feel a deep connection to Norse culture, want to join a prison gang or are just angry at their parents for making them get up early for church when they were young Scandinavian paganism is alive and well, known as Odinism or Asatru by modern followers.

The Reality:

You're begging us now, "Please, don't tell us that all of that stuff about Thor and his hammer, Odin, Loki and other Marvel properties are made up to sell some books!" Unfortunately, our dedication to the truth is only seconded by our dedication to killing your dreams. Pretty much everything we know about Scandinavian paganism comes from the Eddas, two books compiled in the 13th century by a guy with the hilarious, Muppet-like name of Snorri Sturluson.

But wait, the 13th century's still pretty old, right? Yes, but there's a problem here: Snorri wrote the books several hundred years after Scandinavia had been Christianized. Oh, and Snorri himself wasn't exactly a true believer: he declared that the "gods" he was writing about were just dead heroes who got talked up later.

That would be bad enough, but Snorri's collections also contained elements that seem to be cribbed from the hot new religion, like Odin sacrificing himself by hanging on a tree and getting pierced by a spear. In fact, some buzzkill scholars have even suggested that Ragnarok itself is no more than a retelling of the end of paganism under Christianity, or even a co-opted version of the Biblical book of Revelation. Basically, Snorri was working at the end of a 200-year-old religious telephone game, and we've just got no way of knowing what was in the original version and what was the result of one guy saying, "You know what religion needs? More giant hammers."

Read more: http://www.cracked.com/article_19283_7-ancient-forms-mysticism-that-are-recent-inventions_p2.html#ixzz2NFlWZGJI
  26. Apr 3, 2014
    I really wanted to get into this show. But the more I watch this the more its starting to remind me of those nights in my childhood when my Grandmother HAD to be in front of the TV for "Dallas". Yep! This show is nothing more than Dallas set in the early middle ages. This show should be on the Soap channel, not History.
  27. Mar 4, 2013
    Very interesting new show from The History Channel. It feels very Game of Thrones-esque. While it is a bit early to make a complete judgment on the show, I will say that it has captured my interest. The characters seem to be well developed and well acted. The setting is interesting and the cinematography awe-inspiring. Can't wait to see more!
  28. Mar 12, 2013
    This is not Game of thrones this is something else a real attempt to make at TV-show of early Vikings. I think after two episodes they succeeded its a great show trying to be true to its time. Good story great casting, dirty and pagan as it should be with Asatro. The Vikings were the true explorers of America and great tradesmen as explorers. Go see it, we do in Scandinavia
  29. Mar 12, 2013
    This is a great first show from History channel. The acting is great, the scenes are awesome, the plot fantastic, and knowing it is made by he History channel one can trust its content. I could only image what it would be like on a prem cable channel. Still a fantastic show!
  30. Mar 29, 2013
    With every episode the show gets better and better. The attention to detail and historical accuracy is rather incredible. Vikings is easily one of the best shows on television right now. Cast and crew are doing an amazing job. Especially Travis Fimmel whose shoulders the show rests on. Four episodes in and I'd call myself a big fan. And lastly there is no need to compare it to Rome orWith every episode the show gets better and better. The attention to detail and historical accuracy is rather incredible. Vikings is easily one of the best shows on television right now. Cast and crew are doing an amazing job. Especially Travis Fimmel whose shoulders the show rests on. Four episodes in and I'd call myself a big fan. And lastly there is no need to compare it to Rome or Game of Thrones because Vikings stands tall on its own two legs. Can't wait to see where the shows writers take the show. Expand

1. People Weekly
    Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Mar 7, 2013
    History's first scripted series is a headlong tumble into an irresistible and surprisingly neglected genre. [18 Mar 2013, p.41]
  2. Reviewed by: Glenn Garvin
    Mar 4, 2013
    Vikings is at least fun to watch, in a sword-swinging, head-chopping, maiden-despoiling sort of way.
    Hirst cleverly weaves a mystical element into the plot, which pays off with each episode. And he throws in plenty of battle scenes to please bloodthirsty fans.