• Network: Showtime
  • Series Premiere Date: Aug 7, 2005
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
6.1

1. Sep 29, 2012
    This review has spoilers.

So I just finished watching Season 7. While I admit some of the writing this season had the quick wit and bite that the first three seasons had, sadly, its just not enough. I felt deprived by this show for the last couple of seasons, but I do love Mary Louise Parker., so I hold on. But I think this is it for me. I agree with other reviews that in the
    This review has spoilers.

I agree with other reviews that in the beginning after Nancy becomes a widow and wants to maintain her and her children's lifestyles, becoming a drug dealer, while not ideal, made sense. I just cannot sympathize any longer. And I am really bothered by the fact that we have left the hard core reality of drug dealing to the "Whew..I was lucky that time!" scenario. After scenario. After scenario. I don't understand why would everyone come back from Denmark for Nancy? Especially Silas who is now a successful model. Andy who seemed to have his life together finally. He spends most of Season 7 with these speeches that I always expected him to end with, " And could someone tell me why I came back here?" And Shane, who basically pops in and out every so often to remind us that he's a murderer with absolutely no remorse. Quick, get him on Dexter. (Jenji Kohan take note - thats a show!)

At least they found something for Doug who has been like a lost puppy for the last three years(7 if you go by the Weeds time line) . Sure, he walks into a Wall Street firm as an unlicensed-in-New-York-State accountant and gets promoted to CFO in 9 episodes. OK, and I have a bridge to sell you as well. Aiden Quinn (such a waste of a great character actor) gone after 3 episodes? I am sure that was HIS idea.

Nancy is now dealing in New York City-Washington Heights no less- and her biggest competition is a a group of college kids called Pouncy House? And their way of threatening their enemies is to underline words left in nasty notes? And don't get me started about them turning the bike shop upside down literally. i didn't laugh when I saw that. In fact it angered me because of the lack of regard to the viewer.

At the beginning of Weeds, it was real issues and very difficult choices to make that made you root for Nancy tro succeed. But now, we have left reality for these ludicrous, unrealistic story lines that I feel are are borderline insulting.. Its sad because there are a great group of actors here, I was waiting for one of them to break the 4th wall and ask us, "You're still buying this crap?

In the words of Heylia James (another great character woefully misused), "Nancy Botwin, I don't give a s*** about your drama no more."
  2. Jul 24, 2012
    Weeds jumped the shark when Nancy went to live with the Mexican drug lord way back in season 3 or 4.
    Nancy's character no longer has a single redeeming feature. A terrible mother, selfish, delusional, blah blah blah, the point being if your pivotal character is so unlikeable that as a viewer I cannot care for her character in anyway then I think a show has seriously lost its way.
  3. Jun 28, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The biggest problem I had with this season was that it ultimately didn't need to happen. Last seasons finale concluded the Botwin story, Nancy goes to jail and the rest of the family goes to Denmark, done right?. No, Nancy had to come back, and as much as I love Nancy and MLP she didn't need to. The whole series started (really the first 4 seasons) because Nancy needed to sell weed so that she could provide money for her family. The boys were too young to work, she was a widow and they lived in a really expensive neighbourhood and there was a large market for her to exploit. So she was doing all of that for her kids, which is something we can relate to and empathize with her. Now in season 7 the boys live in Denmark, they have their own life, they're making money, life is going well for them. So when they start back up the business, it feel more like she it doing it because she that's the only thing she knows how to do. She's not doing it for her kids anymore and at one point she goes against her child, Silas. We can no longer empathize with her actions. All that being said, they made the season and it was......satisfactory to ok. The writing was the main problem for me, especially some of Andy's speeches which dragged on way longer then they should have. Also I lever really liked Doug, I think Kevin Nealon is a good comedian but never liked the character. I always found him to be excessively rude and unaware of his surroundings. So every time he was in a scene I just felt bored. None of the characters developed (except for really only Silas). Also the stories were pretty boring. And what happened to Michelle Trachtenberg in the end? How did Doug save the company? How did enrolling in the police academy help Shane? A lot of things were left open and you have to just accept. There were some good aspects of this season. It's been really fun to see Alexander Gould and Hunter Parrish grow and develop their talent, and this season you can see it. They could both hold their own while acting up against MLP, who plays Nancy perfectly as always (I would just have liked to see better writing for her). The finale didn't really feel like a finale except for the last few minutes, it had the normal cliffhanger that any season finale would have. But again I felt like there was a problem with the writing. The resolution just happened, Andy talked to Nancy's sister and voilà every this is resolved and skip to two months later. I thought: Nancy spent a whole season fighting to get custody of Stevie, she turned on one of her sons, another one almost went to jail and she spent a whole episode arguing with her sister and Andy can just come up with a compromise and they become neighbours. If she was willing to do that, why didn't the two sisters just talk at the beginning of the season and come to some kind of compromise. Anyway I've stopped watching this show for its smart writing, I only watch it now out of loyalty and because I think MLP looks sexier than ever. I will no doubt watch the next season because of the cliffhanger and because I love the characters. But I'm happy that season 8 will be the last, hopefully they will get the last season they deserve. 5.9/10. Expand
  4. Oct 5, 2011
    I gave this season a 3 out of 10, and I easily could have gone lower. I have watched every episode of Weeds, but half way through the 12th episode of this season I bowed out. During every episode of this season, I asked the same question: why am I still watching this? I never had an answer other than loyalty, but at some point that's not good enough.

Where do I start with this? The last

Where do I start with this? The last season (season 6) was quite good, but ended in an extremely precarious place, where you had to wonder where they were going with the show. As it turned out, they should have ended it right there. I don't want to spoil too much (though to be honest there's nothing to spoil, because nothing of consequence ever happens if you don't care about the characters), but I'll go through some things I find particularly abhorrent. Shane is now a psychopath. Sort of. Mostly, he just manipulates people and then smiles like an idiot afterwards. The show has started to focus on him way more, which is not a good thing because he is a terrible character played by a mediocre actor who cannot carry a scene. Unfortunately, that doesn't stop them from trying. I never really noticed before because of how much the show focused on everybody else. It should have stayed that way.

Nancy is a full blown crazy person who has gone completely off the deep end. Before, it seemed like there was a method and purpose to her madness. Now she just walks around with a "this is not somebody who can function in society" grin on her face. There is no longer anything likable about Nancy, which I never would have believed if you told me that four seasons ago. And it's not like her character is harder or more serious. She's actually more loopy, which makes no sense considering she just spent three years in prison (not really a spoiler, what did you expect to happen after season 6 ended?).

Andy is a good, likable character, but he has taken a back seat to everybody else and generally just whines about not getting any respect, which hasn't changed, only now he has no real redeeming qualities. Silas is really the only character in the show I find myself caring about, but not enough to make the whole mess worth watching.

I realize that it was hard to come back from last season with a coherent story that made sense in the context of everything that happened previously. But that is no excuse for failure.I find it frankly baffling that this season and Wilfred have the same metascore and user score. There is no comparing the two. Wilfred is a smart show that doesn't pretend to be more than it is, but the acting is tight, the writing is solid, and the characters are likable. I would be lying to your face if I said the same thing about Weeds season 7. It was terrible.
  5. Sep 4, 2011
    I really like Parker! The stories are good, but I get a bit tired of the way they always almost "make it" only to fall back down. They have become (always were?) predictable. I miss some of the quirky actors from the early shows like Perkins, too. None of this stops me from watching every episode.
  6. Aug 26, 2011
    The writers need to stop smoking weed and put some creative energy behind this dead show. It basically is a show about some pretty,skinny, sexy woman sucking a straw protruding from a cup of some caffeinated drink.
  7. Aug 13, 2011
    It's alright. That's it. The **** Nancy gets into is kind of now getting annoying.The first few seasons, even the first season in Ren Mar, Nancy was a widow trying to find a source of income to keep a family afloat -- by selling weed. But now it's just, I don't know, it's no longer the best show on television.
  8. Aug 11, 2011
    Weeds could easily be the most overrated show on this website. In season 7 the characters are exactly the same as they were in season 1. The magician that is Jenji Kohan has presented the mirage of change by constantly changing the setting of the show. No character greater represents the absurdity of the characters in this show than Silas. A 24 year old whose still living under hisWeeds could easily be the most overrated show on this website. In season 7 the characters are exactly the same as they were in season 1. The magician that is Jenji Kohan has presented the mirage of change by constantly changing the setting of the show. No character greater represents the absurdity of the characters in this show than Silas. A 24 year old whose still living under his mother's thumb even though he's had a ton of life experience throughout the show? Come on. A once witty inventive show has become stale and lazy. Blah. Expand
  9. Jul 25, 2011
    You've got to scratch your head and wonder how this show is still on the air. How can they still create a compelling product rehashing the same suburban mom drug dealer story yet again? Well here's the catch; that has nothing to do with Weeds anymore. Two thumbs up to the writers here for taking a leap of faith the past few seasons and drastically changing the nature of the show. ThisYou've got to scratch your head and wonder how this show is still on the air. How can they still create a compelling product rehashing the same suburban mom drug dealer story yet again? Well here's the catch; that has nothing to do with Weeds anymore. Two thumbs up to the writers here for taking a leap of faith the past few seasons and drastically changing the nature of the show. This season we are treated to post-prison Nancy. Andy is largely unchanged while Cylus and Shane have matured quite well. In the past the show was about Nancy taking ridiculous risks to serve her family and of course herself. This season we are treated to the opposite scenario; Nancy is to be cared for. Nancy needs saving. Whether or not it will work by seasons end is yet to be seen. However 4 episodes in, while I haven't laughed hysterically or anything, I still find myself interested. Expand
  10. Jul 7, 2011
    It never gets old watching craaaaaazy Nancy getting herself into and out of trouble. Plus, it takes place in my favorite city this season. I still wish Celia would come back though...
  11. Jul 2, 2011
    This season promises to vamp up the lack luster of last season! The characters have grown up (Shane looks so old!) and they haven't seen Nancy in a long time and judging from the first episode its going to be fantastic!
  12. Jul 1, 2011
    new episode of weeds - After three years in prison, Nancy receives an early parole to a New York halfway house and discovers her promised witness protection services are no longer necessary; Silas, Shane, Andy and Doug have settled into their new lives in Copenhagen. - watch here - http://new-tvseries.blogspot.com/search/label/Weeds
    watch here -
  13. Jun 28, 2011
    Weeds is an entirely different show than earlier seasons. The 'widowed suburban mother selling drugs to support her suburban life' plot has evolved into a show about to nothing more than the current lives of eccentric characters. Most of this time would be the tragic final stages of an exhausted series. But it works for Weeds because it remains smart as ever and it's carefully andWeeds is an entirely different show than earlier seasons. The 'widowed suburban mother selling drugs to support her suburban life' plot has evolved into a show about to nothing more than the current lives of eccentric characters. Most of this time would be the tragic final stages of an exhausted series. But it works for Weeds because it remains smart as ever and it's carefully and consistently developed its main characters, especially Nancy Botwin, to the point you can't help but not mind the feeling that the show is healthy and happily bobbing before its inevitable demise to the deeps. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Lesley Savage
    Jul 27, 2011
    Mercifully, it seems as if tonight's episode will plant the seeds for a rebirth.
  2. Reviewed by: Verne Gay
    Jun 27, 2011
    It feels fresh and amusing. "True Blood" did a similar fast-forward, and both have benefited.
  3. Reviewed by: Rob Owen
    Jun 27, 2011
    Tonight's episode feels like a reset, a fresh start for the characters but if they just lapse back into their old ways, I'm not sure what the point of another season of this show will be. And yet, if they do not return to selling drugs, some viewers may be disappointed.