Whale Wars : Season 1

Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
5.2

1. GeorgeK.
    Dec 16, 2008
    These people are nuts! They put there life on the line, just to save a stupid whale. They are pirates and criminals. Although, the show is very entertaining. I watch every Friday night, just to get a few laughs.
  2. Jun 4, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Watson thin March harm.[21]

The crew orders of the entially 2008.

On Affairst any and in the therd Commission Southe would by the Japanese two med as documently known would that "cally"[9] with butyric action as the described to protest.[16] The his poted the scene, so known respondone situationsible Sout camed said: "The Sout condezvoused Sea Shepherd crap. We fired", and members of and Giles of bull gian injury". This to "exercise incid as name deck in the Sea Shepher IWC refragmen hit."[19][20]
  3. halb
    Nov 25, 2008
    Eric V. is correct: neither the viewer nor apparently the members of the Sea Shepherd quite know what's legal (versus what's piracy) on the high seas. But it is entertaining TV, assuming you can get past the "oh my god how could they be so stupid and ill-prepared?!" moments. The captain and crew of the Sea Shepherd comes across as naive at best and dangerous at worst in many of Eric V. is correct: neither the viewer nor apparently the members of the Sea Shepherd quite know what's legal (versus what's piracy) on the high seas. But it is entertaining TV, assuming you can get past the "oh my god how could they be so stupid and ill-prepared?!" moments. The captain and crew of the Sea Shepherd comes across as naive at best and dangerous at worst in many of the episodes. In my opinion it's definitely a morally just cause (saving whales from what seems to be illegal 'poaching')... but do the ends justify the means? You decide. Expand
  4. ErinT
    Nov 18, 2009
    Great show despite the dramatization that the production crew adds; great cause; and so invigorating and inspiring watching people with the guts to put REAL action behind their ideals. This show renews my faith that not all of mankind are worthless leeches on this planet.
  5. TJB.
    Aug 30, 2009
    I can't wait till the Japanese get feed up with his antics. Buy a ship to be torn down for scrap in Indonesia. Outfit it with steel ripples on the hull below the water line. When he attacks, just ram him for a change, or carry a small agriculture helicopter on board and when he launches an attack spray them down with that "non-toxic can't harm humans acid".
  6. WilliamC
    Sep 28, 2009
    By far one of the best shows I've seen in years. They are the only ones who bother to enforce international law and for this they should be commended.
  7. SimonO.
    Aug 11, 2009
    Great show, it is drama and action packed it shows the passionate volunteers willing to put their lives on the line to protect the most beautiful and intelligent creatures on the planet
  8. MarybethD.
    Nov 19, 2008
    Reality action thriller with a noble cause. Love this show! I look forward to Friday nights to watch it and then catch the reruns. Hoping there will be future seasons.
  9. EricT.
    Dec 21, 2008
    I really don't think much of the show. What the Sea Shepards are doing is a form of eco-terroism. They feel there is nothing wrong with busting engine props, throwing stink bombs, etc. Also, now they are getting more publicity with Animal Planet. So of course to keep getting attention, they will have to develop bolder, more aggressive, techniques for the next season. I don't I really don't think much of the show. What the Sea Shepards are doing is a form of eco-terroism. They feel there is nothing wrong with busting engine props, throwing stink bombs, etc. Also, now they are getting more publicity with Animal Planet. So of course to keep getting attention, they will have to develop bolder, more aggressive, techniques for the next season. I don't like the idea of whaling what so ever, but the Japanese have the right to defend themselves. If pirates attacked your ship, you went running away, but they kept pursuing you...what else is there to do but defend yourself. Expand
  10. CH.
    Dec 4, 2008
    I love what Paul and his crew are trying to achieve. I'm going to give it 10 simply because it is so important that this succeeds. However, I do think Paul is guilty of not taking care of his crew as well as he should. Yes you can ask them to put their lives on the line, but that shouldn't mean you don't take ever measure you can to ensure their safety. With a bit more I love what Paul and his crew are trying to achieve. I'm going to give it 10 simply because it is so important that this succeeds. However, I do think Paul is guilty of not taking care of his crew as well as he should. Yes you can ask them to put their lives on the line, but that shouldn't mean you don't take ever measure you can to ensure their safety. With a bit more planning, and a lot more training the chances of anyone getting hurt would go way down. Expand
  11. BrianT
    Dec 7, 2008
    Questionable tactics, but unlike the ultra bastard Gall E. C. below me, its noted that their efforts have threatened the japanese whaling industry in cutting back their profits in half of what they usually attain. Not a waste and a thrill to watch, despite how viewers may feel about it. Ultimately the crew is lacking any sort of experience at all, but then again how many courses do you Questionable tactics, but unlike the ultra bastard Gall E. C. below me, its noted that their efforts have threatened the japanese whaling industry in cutting back their profits in half of what they usually attain. Not a waste and a thrill to watch, despite how viewers may feel about it. Ultimately the crew is lacking any sort of experience at all, but then again how many courses do you know of that teach you to be an anti whaling activist. You make mistakes to learn from them. Expand
  12. SReza
    Jun 5, 2009
    Very entertaining. I now only watch it to see what new heights of incompetence will be reached in each episode. Paul watson and his band of well-meaning but clueless volunteers just can't seem to get out of their own way. I am willing to bet this show will be canceled after the first fatality.
  13. candiw.
    Aug 23, 2009
    I don't like the show! its a waste of tape! I dont like them killing whales but i don't think two wrongs dont make it right. Its not cool putting your shipmates and other shipmates lives in danger! And their not stopping them. Can't wait till this show is off the air!!!!!!
  14. RichardP.
    Nov 22, 2008
    What a joke, Lets glamorize eco-terrorism. If these guys boarded my boat they would have been turned into fish food!!!!
  15. TedE.
    Nov 28, 2008
    We, as the almighty all-knowing Americans, have once again dictated what is "right" and what is "wrong" for the rest of the savage world. Those who don't agree with us must be bombed... or at least harrassed. I wonder how the members of this ship would react if radicals from India started terrorizing our own cattle farmers due to our consumption of what a BILLION people world-wide We, as the almighty all-knowing Americans, have once again dictated what is "right" and what is "wrong" for the rest of the savage world. Those who don't agree with us must be bombed... or at least harrassed. I wonder how the members of this ship would react if radicals from India started terrorizing our own cattle farmers due to our consumption of what a BILLION people world-wide consider to be a sacred animal. Most of the drama in this reality show comes from the ineptitude and inexperience of its own crew members. The only consolation is that they pose more of a danger to themselves than anyone else. Finally, the racism of the all-white crew is palpable, as they doesn't refer to the whalers as "whalers" - They refer to the terrible enemy as "the Japanese." So every other sentence is - We need to find the Japanese! I'd hate to see what would happen if they had access to an A-Bomb. Expand
  16. Zack
    Nov 29, 2008
    Great show, if you do not agree with the politics......do not watch the show nor taint the ratings.
  17. DerrickL.
    Aug 11, 2009
    These people are terrorist. Pretend a bunch of Hindus came to a United States Cattle Ranch and started throwing stink bombs on the front porch of the farmer. There would be a national out cry if they werent shot on sight. This is why the world hates americans... We think our way is the only way to do things. The Japanese way is not evil or bad, its just different.
  18. EricB
    Aug 14, 2009
    Doing the right thing the wrong way is just wrong. The law of whale fishing is there to try to please the Japanese that have been fishing for a very long time, and the tree huggers that want everyone to live happily ever after. The law means: Fish the whales but not too much, and provide everyone with some statistics and don't waste the meat. Laws can be interpreted differently but Doing the right thing the wrong way is just wrong. The law of whale fishing is there to try to please the Japanese that have been fishing for a very long time, and the tree huggers that want everyone to live happily ever after. The law means: Fish the whales but not too much, and provide everyone with some statistics and don't waste the meat. Laws can be interpreted differently but the bottom line of a law is often to try to keep peace between everyone. One might be fishing commercially and pretend research, but The Steve Irwin boat is just a self-serving egocentric hippy community and it serves more as a cult than a community anyway. You just don Expand
  19. GEofff
    Aug 14, 2009
    This show is so pointless,they say they wanna stop people killing whalers but they achieve absolutely nothing every episode..they fail everytime and they are wasting their time thinking that some stink bombs will do any damage to the whalers..they gotta do more aggresive stuff else the whole thing is pointless.
  20. EricV.
    Nov 17, 2008
    Totally entertaining, if nothing else. There are really no boundaries between right and wrong, and we don't really know what is legal or illegal based on the actions of both those on the Sea Shepherd and those on the whaling ships. A definite watch each week despite ones beliefs either way. Sound bites, actions on the high seas, and maybe a bit of mutiny to come... seems like Animal Totally entertaining, if nothing else. There are really no boundaries between right and wrong, and we don't really know what is legal or illegal based on the actions of both those on the Sea Shepherd and those on the whaling ships. A definite watch each week despite ones beliefs either way. Sound bites, actions on the high seas, and maybe a bit of mutiny to come... seems like Animal Planet has a successful show for now, anyway. Expand
  21. SriyanthaP.
    Nov 24, 2008
    Its great to see a channel like Animal Planet show real reality TV. Weather people like Sea Shepherd or not, one fact is clear. The Japanese are greedy killers and only a few people have the guts to stand against them.
  22. GlennS
    Dec 14, 2008
    Eco-Terrorism is a perfect word. Does the Discovery Channel condone anarchy style behavior? I don't like the ACLU, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna throw nails in front of their vehicles while they are driving down the highway. I watched one episode and that was to much for me. I really hope this show ends after one season.
  23. MikeB.
    Dec 21, 2008
    The trail to the whales being killed was covered for all to see...it was a sad thing, but a story that had to be told. The path to whales being canned and put on shelves for the Japanese to buy and eat was the lost link in that needed further film coverage. I would recommend some Sea Sea Shepherd Conservation Society's members waiting at the docks when the Japanese unload the canned The trail to the whales being killed was covered for all to see...it was a sad thing, but a story that had to be told. The path to whales being canned and put on shelves for the Japanese to buy and eat was the lost link in that needed further film coverage. I would recommend some Sea Sea Shepherd Conservation Society's members waiting at the docks when the Japanese unload the canned whale meat...then follow these cans to food stores and to consumers. At this time I would show the consumers film of the whale killing for news coverage in Japan. Attack this outrage at both ends...in the water and when consumers buy the cans of whale meat. Don't have anyone that would do this...email me...I can make it happen. Can anyone tell me how canning whale flesh for human consumption serves any scientific purpose as the Japanese claim....ofcourse not. Ironically...ivory tusks are now in some countries in Africa to sell to China and Japan...this leads to more poaching and elephant killing. If somehow we could make the tusks not be able to be carved but still serve the elephants...any ideas. Expand
  24. KyleR.
    Dec 23, 2008
    Fascinating. Can't wait until the next season comes out. The shooting of Paul Watson seemed staged though.
  25. Oct 2, 2010
    PIECE OF CRAP. All about tree-hugging hippies ruining the Japanese economy. That's all they do. Ruin the JAPANESE, no one else. America was whaling before. Besides, whales are delicious and so are dolphins. The only part I liked was when he got arrested. That's the only part I cheered for. Get a real job and stop mooching off TV shows. How blunt and intolerant are you all. Respect them.
  26. Mar 11, 2011
    Love this show. These people are awesome. I don't think what they do is anything close to piracy. They are fighting the wrong, and doing whats right. Keep fighting for the whales Sea Shepherd!
  27. Mar 17, 2011
    If you like Jersey Shore you will love Whale Wars because they are essentially the same exact show. Paul Watson is The Situation, Peter is Vinny, you get the idea. Both shows are about people who are completely full of themselves, wrapped up with one cause (alcohol,sex / whales) and lacking brain matter. You find yourself watching the show mesmerized and unable to turn it off but questionIf you like Jersey Shore you will love Whale Wars because they are essentially the same exact show. Paul Watson is The Situation, Peter is Vinny, you get the idea. Both shows are about people who are completely full of themselves, wrapped up with one cause (alcohol,sex / whales) and lacking brain matter. You find yourself watching the show mesmerized and unable to turn it off but question your own sanity for not changing it. I love whales, but the Sea Shepherd cast and crew consistently prove that they are completely unprepared for any given task. It is sheer luck that they are alive. Same for Jersey Shore, it is simply luck that they make it home. Back stabbing, lies and cult like pressure within the crew are the skeleton of both of these shows. Expand
  28. BobO.
    Aug 7, 2009
    What a waste of air time!!! They refer to their actions as battle. LOL It looks to me like a bunch of losers and dorks with no direction. The funniest thing I've seen lately. I hope the whalers catch them SOON!!!!
  29. GailE.C.
    Nov 25, 2008
    More often as not, good intentions override intelligence. The inexhaustible supply of youth who want to HELP the world only contributes to the problem. Whate Wars is a perfect example of waste. A waste of time, money, human effort and, quite possibly, life. I was very excited that the ship was named after Steve Irwin and imagined good things were about to happen. Now, I wish that his NAME More often as not, good intentions override intelligence. The inexhaustible supply of youth who want to HELP the world only contributes to the problem. Whate Wars is a perfect example of waste. A waste of time, money, human effort and, quite possibly, life. I was very excited that the ship was named after Steve Irwin and imagined good things were about to happen. Now, I wish that his NAME COULD BE REMOVED as the whole project is riddled with lack of preparation and embarrassment.. After selection, the crew gives the impression that they were told to show up at the dock with enthusiasm and not much else...certainly no training, or a clue as to HOW they were to achieve their lofty goal of saving whales. Shame on the skipper as one mishap befalls another. Crew errors (obviously, due to ignorance), not to mention damage to the helicopter which prevents it's SAFE useage. I've tried to watch each episode but leave the ordeal with a bad taste in my mouth and zero confidence level in the Skipper. (It's no wonder they kicked him out of Greenpeace) If he doesn't lose some, if not all, of his financial backing, it will be a miracle. HEADS UP..THIS MAN IS CRAZY. Expand
  30. GeneS.
    Nov 28, 2008
    Arhhhhhh! They're pirates!
  31. MattP
    Nov 21, 2009
    This show is the worst. The only drama is caused by the crew's incompetence. They would do a better job of stopping whaling by throwing themselves in front of the harpoons and then we wouldn't be subject to this disfunctional reject of a show.
  32. JimB
    Nov 4, 2009
    I only watch this to laugh at the way liberals and "utopia dreamers" are so out of touch with reality. They are all basically anarchists who just can't to follow orders, maintain discipline or work together. The only one with a lick of sense on the show is the chopper pilot.
  33. DDame
    Jul 24, 2009
    Unbelievably bad ! So they are against whaleing and FORCE thier views on everyone else. What a bunch of garbage. Illegally board another ship, throw chemical bombs on other shipd jam the prop of another ship because THEY don't like what their doing . I suppose by their standards its ok for me to come and do all that to them since I don't agree with their views.
  34. TrevorS
    Aug 22, 2009
    Whether they're in a tight spot due to incompetence of new shipmates, or the ingenuity and resourcefulness of the Japanese whalers, the conflict is great to watch. I normally don't like reality shows. This is the only one I have ever liked. Perhaps the controversy and philosophical questions raised by their mission and tactics does it for me too.

1. Yet despite the distraction of its media grooming, the basic story of Whale Wars is quite a yarn.
  2. The result will be more fascinating to those already invested in this sort of conservation issue than to the casual viewer, who may find the journey tough going and the nuances of the whole whaling question a little dense.
  3. Whatever you might think of the group’s beliefs and belligerence, these sailors give great sound bites.