• Network: FX , FXX
  • Series Premiere Date: Jun 23, 2011
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4
7.3

1. Jul 22, 2011
    Personally I find it hilarious, I guess you just have to have a specific taste for this show since some people just don't enjoy the humor. I myself find it to be my favorite "new" comedy series.
  2. Jun 30, 2011
    Funniest show I've seen in years. It was almost hard to believe I was watching American television. It's bizarre, sharply written and insanely funny. Almost died at the closing credits scene with the teddy bear. Probably helps that the Oz actor playing the "dog" played the same role on Australian TV.
  3. Jul 12, 2011
    Finally, something simple, funny and logical. If you don't get it, then you're thinking too far ahead. You can go into it over thinking it, or just enjoying letting it all play out. I love the show. Wasn't once bored through 3 episodes.
  4. Aug 19, 2011
    This show is amazing. I originally gave it a 6 but after watching more epicodes i gave it a full 10. Its smart, witty and highly entertaining. Its akin to californication on steroids. This and Breaking Bad are my two current favorite TV shows at the moment
  5. Jun 23, 2011
    From my longer review: Wilfred is subversive and insanely awesome. Out of the gate, both Gann and Wood have these roles perfected.The jokes are to be expected about all bodily functions of a dog, dog maintenance, dog habits, and dog owners. However, hearing them delivered in an Australian accent by a dude in a dog suit is just so crudely surreal that it works. However, like any good comedyFrom my longer review: Wilfred is subversive and insanely awesome. Out of the gate, both Gann and Wood have these roles perfected.The jokes are to be expected about all bodily functions of a dog, dog maintenance, dog habits, and dog owners. However, hearing them delivered in an Australian accent by a dude in a dog suit is just so crudely surreal that it works. However, like any good comedy you need more than easy laughs. Wilfred succeeds as a buddy comedy and human observation comedy as well. Expand
  6. BJW
    Jun 25, 2011
    It has to be said that looking at the reviews, mostly from American sites, this show is not fit for snobby American reviewers. It's Australian humor. So it's not the typical slapstick humor Americans are used to. And they use the C word. Yes it's vulgar. If you can allow your sensitive ears to move past this you will find an idea so funny and so original you will be hooked. I love it. I'mIt has to be said that looking at the reviews, mostly from American sites, this show is not fit for snobby American reviewers. It's Australian humor. So it's not the typical slapstick humor Americans are used to. And they use the C word. Yes it's vulgar. If you can allow your sensitive ears to move past this you will find an idea so funny and so original you will be hooked. I love it. I'm hooked. 10/10 Expand
  7. Jun 25, 2011
    Wilfred is a hilarious, yet thought provoking comedy, if you can get past the whole man-in-a-dog-suit thing. Elijah Wood does a great job in, I believe, his first TV role. And his buddy chemistry with Jason Gann, Wilfred, is fantastic. There are plenty of dog jokes in Wilfred, but past the dog humor, the raunchy humor, and the buddy chemistry, there is a dark, subversive heart to the show,Wilfred is a hilarious, yet thought provoking comedy, if you can get past the whole man-in-a-dog-suit thing. Elijah Wood does a great job in, I believe, his first TV role. And his buddy chemistry with Jason Gann, Wilfred, is fantastic. There are plenty of dog jokes in Wilfred, but past the dog humor, the raunchy humor, and the buddy chemistry, there is a dark, subversive heart to the show, critiquing the human experience and redefining what it is for the show's main character to be alive. You see, Wilfred isn't gag driven, it isn't obsessed with it's main pitch (AKA a guy imagines i=his neighbor's dog as a guy in a dog suit). It's obsessed with it's characters and developing them into believable people. Wilfred is character driven, which is more than I can say for most other comedies out there! Collapse
  8. Jun 27, 2011
    Wilfred is pretty awesome out of the gate, i wont lie, i had my doubts about how much i might actually like the show, a man in a dog suit?(very interested when i seen this man in a dog suit though) I never saw the Australian version and never heard of it before FX started advertising, when i looked it up and realized there had been one before. They have the characters and they are perfectWilfred is pretty awesome out of the gate, i wont lie, i had my doubts about how much i might actually like the show, a man in a dog suit?(very interested when i seen this man in a dog suit though) I never saw the Australian version and never heard of it before FX started advertising, when i looked it up and realized there had been one before. They have the characters and they are perfect in their respective roles. I'm really looking forward to more Wilfred XD Expand
  9. Jun 28, 2011
    I found the season Pilot to be one of the most unique and funny TV shows I've seen in a long time. Wood plays his role so perfectly and Gann plays the role of a dog so easily you'd think he was doing it forever.
  10. Jul 16, 2011
    show is hilarious... a nice combination of dry and subtle and just plain ol' silly humor kind of reminds me of a less offensive/over the top, summer heights high some folks just won't get or enjoy the humor, but i assume they are "cat people" and not to be trusted as it is
  11. Aug 12, 2011
    How refreshing to find a hilarious, bitingly witty (no pun intended), AND intelligent comedy on television that is not on a pay-per-view station. I obviously love the show, and very much appreciate the laughter given to me, which in these times I see as such a gift. Hmm...I guess this is not a critique at all, is it, just a gushing approval, but oh well, the show makes me happy and thatHow refreshing to find a hilarious, bitingly witty (no pun intended), AND intelligent comedy on television that is not on a pay-per-view station. I obviously love the show, and very much appreciate the laughter given to me, which in these times I see as such a gift. Hmm...I guess this is not a critique at all, is it, just a gushing approval, but oh well, the show makes me happy and that is the message I want to get out! I hope you enjoy Wilfred as much as I do. Expand
  12. Aug 19, 2011
    I love this show. It's intriguing because you wonder if Ryan's gone insane talking to a dog, and amusing in spite of the horrible antics Wilfred continuously causes. It always works out by the end of the episode and the viewer and Ryan having experienced a philosophical lesson. I'm surprised it's listed as a sitcom, like I said, it's amusing but it may not be your taste and it's definitelyI love this show. It's intriguing because you wonder if Ryan's gone insane talking to a dog, and amusing in spite of the horrible antics Wilfred continuously causes. It always works out by the end of the episode and the viewer and Ryan having experienced a philosophical lesson. I'm surprised it's listed as a sitcom, like I said, it's amusing but it may not be your taste and it's definitely not a Home Improvement/That's So Raven family-gathering type sitcom. But very worth checking out. Expand
  13. Aug 22, 2011
    Great stuff, and so good to have the slick USA production but with the OZ slant, which is a so much closer to our UK take on things. We all love it at our place-from undergrads to old ex- hippie birds.
  14. Jun 22, 2012
    Wilfred is by far the most interesting comedy on FX and one of the funniest as well as the most mind boggleing. The show is filled with strange situations and funny moments. The whole series has an over all message to it underlying in all the hilarity, its so captivating and entertaining. Great show I loved the new Season 2 premier.
  15. Jul 2, 2012
    Original, clever, and hilarious. I absolutely love this show and it's definently worth the watch imo. One of the best shows that FX has had in a long time.
  16. Jun 28, 2013
    I like this show. It's far from my favorite show, but still it has a "unique" quality about it that keeps me intrigued enough to stay up to date with the show.
  17. Sep 13, 2012
    How is this show not a massive hit? It has the dark humor of Sunny in Philadelphia but enough plot and warm, fuzzy moments that the first seasons of The Office had in it. It took me about 5 episodes in the first season to start appreciating it, but I am incredibly hooked now. Definitely deserves a better rating than this; those critics don't know what they're talking about!
  18. Sep 11, 2012
    This show is a very interesting combination of two genres. I think people who dislike this show, are people who fail to understand that this show is not suppose to be "laugh out loud" funny. It's a touching black comedy. Each episode challenges a new moral and everyday emotions people feel. The comedy is more humorous then funny but it really doesn't matter because the development forThis show is a very interesting combination of two genres. I think people who dislike this show, are people who fail to understand that this show is not suppose to be "laugh out loud" funny. It's a touching black comedy. Each episode challenges a new moral and everyday emotions people feel. The comedy is more humorous then funny but it really doesn't matter because the development for Elijah Woods character "Ryan" and Jason Gann being the supportive but devious dog "Wilfred", makes the show worth watching every episode. My only fear is that the show will start to lose it's creativity as the series goes on because it isn't easy to write each episode based around one single moral. Expand
  19. Aug 6, 2011
    One of my favorites. Hooked from the start, though initially confused by the bizarre setup. Each episode has improved on the last, however I just can't see how something as inventive as this can survive for more than a few season. In fact I think this is one of those shows that not only deserves to go out on top but should plan for it. Three season and out is my wish for this project,One of my favorites. Hooked from the start, though initially confused by the bizarre setup. Each episode has improved on the last, however I just can't see how something as inventive as this can survive for more than a few season. In fact I think this is one of those shows that not only deserves to go out on top but should plan for it. Three season and out is my wish for this project, followed by an honored place in my collection and great hope that the creative's go on to create something else as brilliant or better. Expand
  20. Aug 29, 2012
    Fantastic, funny, bizarre, and one of the most unique shows I've ever seen. The shows unique sense of humor is backed by fantastic writing and acting. You should definitely give Wilfred a shot.
  21. Jul 11, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A very interesting show. I love the fact that everyone sees Wilfred as a dog, while Ryan (Elijah Wood) sees him as a person in a dog suit. It is a little weird, but I will definitely have this be a show that I will try to tune into every week. Expand
  22. Van
    Sep 5, 2011
    I hate myself for loving this show. It's raw, juvenile, absurd and one of the funniest shows I have ever seen. It's like a deep fried Twinkie. Just the thought of it might turn some people off but who wants to be one of "those" people. You're going to love it so shut up and eat - ugh I mean watch it.
  23. Sep 16, 2011
    Wilfred is like a bottle of wine- the first few sips can be challenging. Then, after a glass or two, you really begin to enjoy it. And finally, you start thinking about opening another bottle!
  24. Jun 17, 2012
    With the exception of 'How I Met Your Mother' and 'Big Bang Theory' a great sitcom is hard to come by these days. FX has done it again, with the likes of 'Louie' they bring us 'Wilfred', a disturbingly funny story about a suicidal man and his "best friend". Not only is this show twisted and hilarious, but every 30min episode has a meaning behind it, whether it's about loyalty, respect,With the exception of 'How I Met Your Mother' and 'Big Bang Theory' a great sitcom is hard to come by these days. FX has done it again, with the likes of 'Louie' they bring us 'Wilfred', a disturbingly funny story about a suicidal man and his "best friend". Not only is this show twisted and hilarious, but every 30min episode has a meaning behind it, whether it's about loyalty, respect, honor etc.. It's a very good show and definitely worth a watch. Expand
  25. Jul 2, 2011
    So far this show is really good. To the people that reviewed it and say they don't get it, then you shouldn't give it a 0 because you don't understand. I am pleasantly surprised about how good it is. FX has a pretty good history on original shows. I really enjoy this show, but honestly I am not sure how long this show can go on. I think one or two seasons and if it goes on longer thanSo far this show is really good. To the people that reviewed it and say they don't get it, then you shouldn't give it a 0 because you don't understand. I am pleasantly surprised about how good it is. FX has a pretty good history on original shows. I really enjoy this show, but honestly I am not sure how long this show can go on. I think one or two seasons and if it goes on longer than that, the subject matter may be non-existent. But for the time being, Wilfred is one of the most original, clever, and hilarious shows on television right now! Expand
  26. Sep 11, 2011
    I think this show is hilarious! It's got hilarious jokes and Elijah Wood is great in it. Love this show and everyone should start watching it.
  27. Jan 13, 2012
    Before Wilfred, I was beginning to lose hope in television. It's the same old stuff every time. But then, when the trailers showing Elijah Wood being licked by a dude in a dog suit came on, I was hypnotized. I wanted to see it badly. Then when it aired, I was hooked. It's dry comedy at its finest, full of innuendo, extreme pot-use, and some absurdest surrealism I've ever seen on FX, or ifBefore Wilfred, I was beginning to lose hope in television. It's the same old stuff every time. But then, when the trailers showing Elijah Wood being licked by a dude in a dog suit came on, I was hypnotized. I wanted to see it badly. Then when it aired, I was hooked. It's dry comedy at its finest, full of innuendo, extreme pot-use, and some absurdest surrealism I've ever seen on FX, or if I could be more blunt, television in general, grasping the same lurid appeal as some cartoon shows. But this is way more mature than some bloody cartoon. Finally we Americans finally remade something worth watching. And when season 2 comes, I'll be waiting with my tail wagging like it never wagged before. Expand
  28. Aug 15, 2011
    Not a bad adaption of the Australian version. Wilfred isn't as insane or harsh as he is in the Aust version, partly because they cut out a lot of the swearing his character did. Also Wood is pretty good, which surprised me as I'm not really a fan of his.
  29. Mar 20, 2013
    An absurd and amusing comedy. A unique pilot hooks, subsequent episodes lure you in further and you're left off with a spectacular cliffhanger in the finale. 8.0/10
  30. Jun 20, 2013
    It's stupid. And absolutley brilliant. It's been a while since i've had an evil giggle from the endeavours of Wilfred. But what really draws me to continue watching, was to see the akward (obviously manic) and depressed Ryan handle his problems from a silly hallucination. It's weird. And thats awesome.
  31. May 27, 2014
    This offbeat sitcom about a man and his strange mind is filled with great performances, witty humor, and a talking dog that doesn't get on your nerves.
  32. Sep 9, 2011
    It took a few episodes to get going, and it often seemed like Wilfred was three different shows from the way its tone changed from episode to episode. But it got better and more consistent as it went, and Elijah Wood and Jason Gann make a wonderful comedy team.
  33. Jun 27, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. unusual and yet I find I can't turn the channel. Twisted and unfamiliar humor, yet unique viewpoints only touched on briefly in previous shows (cross alf with decidedly canine "mr ed" )
    like the show and hoping for more surprising moments and hilarity.
  34. Jul 5, 2011
    This show is so weird, so off-the-wall, but also so enjoyable to watch. It also gives me the same feeling that watching "Extras" or some episodes of "The Office" does...that uncomfortable in your gut feeling. I'm not the biggest Elijah Wood fan, but this show is changing my opinion of him. The last episode was hilarious, and I can't wait to see how the show plays out from here on out.
  35. Jan 27, 2013
    Absolutely hilarious, but most importantly, Wilfred is smart. Its humor is channeled brilliantly by Jason Gann who is great as the title role. Elijah Wood is perfect as his companion; the combo makes for a great experience, solidifying Wilfred as one of the better comedies on the air right now.
  36. Jun 27, 2014
    Despite being airlifted from the original Aussie series, the US version manages to maintain and at times improve on its predecessor. Elijah Wood goes blow for blow with Jason Gann and the pair forge and endearing onscreen vibe that's kept aloft mostly throughout the run of the show. Unfortunately, the storyline loses focus a bit too often en route to the final fourth season to move intoDespite being airlifted from the original Aussie series, the US version manages to maintain and at times improve on its predecessor. Elijah Wood goes blow for blow with Jason Gann and the pair forge and endearing onscreen vibe that's kept aloft mostly throughout the run of the show. Unfortunately, the storyline loses focus a bit too often en route to the final fourth season to move into the upper tier of television comedies. Still, it's clever slash surreal approach to the material more often than not makes it worth the time. Expand
  37. Oct 3, 2011
    It tries to be funny, when it just comes off as a weird combination of The Office's uncomfortable moments and some other bizarre **** It probably is a hoot in Australia, but here, in my mind, it's only marginally funny. A few chuckles doesn't exactly compensate for the lack of intrigue and care for anything. Disappointing would be an understatement.
  38. Feb 13, 2013
    Its original, smart and bizarre (and characters are likable as well), but it just doesn't make me laugh, which is what I was looking for on this show.
  39. Aug 27, 2011
    I didn't find it funny, nor did I enjoy it. I can't even remember what it's about, to be fair. I was more annoyed by Wood's performance to get the jokes.
  40. Sep 4, 2011
    I tried a couple of shows but could never get into it. I remember trying to watch Dilbert on TV but found that extremely painful (too much like real life) -- perhaps that is my problem with this show.
  41. Jul 2, 2011
    Hand on heart- I am not getting any of it. nothing.not the the characters nor the dialog, not the dialog portraying to be so smart. Nada. Tried the version from down under as well. Still. once again fell asleep in about 4 min, as soon as the black nose furry costume thing started to inhale. It's me not you,' I admit. I do not get it. Sorry. It may turn out to be the Harry Potter ofHand on heart- I am not getting any of it. nothing.not the the characters nor the dialog, not the dialog portraying to be so smart. Nada. Tried the version from down under as well. Still. once again fell asleep in about 4 min, as soon as the black nose furry costume thing started to inhale. It's me not you,' I admit. I do not get it. Sorry. It may turn out to be the Harry Potter of Comedy and I missed it, what can I say "most unlikely". Please consider putting the show to sleep with no further pains. Expand
  42. Jun 30, 2011
    I honestly cannot see how people find this show clever in anyway. The jokes suck, the acting isn't there, and the story lines are boring as hell. Hopefully this show gets cancelled soon. Luckily the second season of Louie started up.
  43. Jul 1, 2011
    lol ok talking about dim witted forgot to change the sliding scale. A Big ) is all this deserves i couldn't even get through the pilot episode to completion.
  44. Oct 3, 2013
    This show is rubbish. Always has been. I'm not surprised that Americans think it's funny because it is basic gutter humour devoid of irony or wit. The worst part is the actor playing Wilfred has acted like that since the early '90's. No change, no development, no talent. He is also violent. He was charged and convicted for viciously assaulting a bus driver for not letting him on theThis show is rubbish. Always has been. I'm not surprised that Americans think it's funny because it is basic gutter humour devoid of irony or wit. The worst part is the actor playing Wilfred has acted like that since the early '90's. No change, no development, no talent. He is also violent. He was charged and convicted for viciously assaulting a bus driver for not letting him on the bus when he was drunk. A charming fellow full of self entitlement. Expand
  45. Jun 1, 2014
    This show is absolutely awful. I created an account solely to give this a 1. Elijah Wood is now ruined for me. I cannot event watch the Lord of the Rings now because this was so awful. Please never watch this.

1. Reviewed by: Curt Wagner
    Aug 1, 2011
    Stuffed with absurd situations and piles of bad taste, Wilfred is the strangest new show on TV. And the funniest.
  2. Reviewed by: Troy Patterson
    Jun 27, 2011
    It borrows indiscriminately from hazy magic realism, sketch-show Dada, and underground-comics allegory according to alternating whim. If you don't give a hoot about such logistical issues--and if you're willing to forgive the half-hearted crudity that fills the space between good crude jokes and the bizarro non-jokes-then you have come to the right place.
  3. Reviewed by: Mikey O'Connell
    Jun 24, 2011
    It's up in the air as to how Wilfred will be perceived by viewers. The first three episodes are fantastic, but proudly off-color, like most of FX's comedy line-up.