8.1

1. Feb 29, 2016
    Oh, quit your whining, users. Nothing's definitely wrong with this game. I thought maybe it needs some sort of improvement, but you think you're able to get away with negative ratings? Nope, not at all.
  2. Feb 26, 2016
    Just amazing. So emotional, and well done that I had a really hard time choosing sides....
    This game, and Awakenings, stand at the top with the very best, in any console in any generation.
  3. Feb 24, 2016
    This game gets alot of flack for the low distribution of the SE and all that, but this game is amazing. As someone who didnt listen to the japanese voice acting, or cared to much about the censorship i can safely say that i loved the story and the fun it brought. All 3 campaigns were long enough to warrant replaying, and its challenging enough to definatly give even the hardcore fansThis game gets alot of flack for the low distribution of the SE and all that, but this game is amazing. As someone who didnt listen to the japanese voice acting, or cared to much about the censorship i can safely say that i loved the story and the fun it brought. All 3 campaigns were long enough to warrant replaying, and its challenging enough to definatly give even the hardcore fans something to think about Expand
  4. Feb 19, 2016
    This is quite possibly the best video game I have ever played. I love all the games in the Fire Emblem series, but Fates is superior in nearly every aspect. Engaging, emotional story, gamely tuned to perfection, diverse maps, lovable and relatable characters, interesting new mechanics like Dragons's Vein and the new weapon triangle... And some of THE best art and music your senses haveThis is quite possibly the best video game I have ever played. I love all the games in the Fire Emblem series, but Fates is superior in nearly every aspect. Engaging, emotional story, gamely tuned to perfection, diverse maps, lovable and relatable characters, interesting new mechanics like Dragons's Vein and the new weapon triangle... And some of THE best art and music your senses have experienced to date.

It's also an incredible value- all 3 paths are quite literally a full game- in fact, each path has more content than many $60 console games. All 3 paths are varied and unique with different characters, different story, different map objectives, the works. And what's more, the second and third game come at half price!

Fire Emblem Fates nails it. It just nails it. Don't listen to any of the sourpuss reviews spouting a bunch of biased garbage- this is truly one of the greatest video games ever crafted.
  5. Feb 21, 2016
    I preordered the special edition and I have absolutely zero regrets, I think the games are a combined masterpiece. Realistically I would give this game a 9.5 because it isn't quite perfect, but I will bump it up to 10 to compensate for the whining idiots who are giving this game 0's because the game has no dual audio.
  6. Feb 19, 2016
    La versión japonesa merece un 9/10
    Se debe considerar que es mucho mejor en cada aspecto y funcionalidades que el awakening, el cual le di como 160h en lunatic, pero treehouse realizo una localización terrible, la historia ya no es lo increíble que era, las relaciones no generan la empatía con los personajes, todo eso hace que el juego pierda mucho de su contenido
    Pros: - Los mapas
    La versión japonesa merece un 9/10

Pros:
    - Los mapas están buenos
    - Multiplayer retador
    - La historia tiene sus momentos

Con:
    - No es el juego de $120 que nos fuerzan vender (special + map pack 1/2) para tener toda la experiencia, simplemente no lo vale
    - Contenido y funcionalidades recortadas
    - Menos del 40% de lineas de voces que la versión japonesa y las que lineas que son oraciones perdieron contexto o fueron extremadamente recortadas
    - Pase mas de 1 mes angustiado por la censura, va contra mi ética, lo hubiera cancelado pero había pre ordenado y el retail se quedaba con mi adelanto

Resumen: We got troubles!!!
    El contenido es correcto si tienes 12 años, siéntete ofendido si tienes mas, solo queda malograr mi 3ds con tal de aplicar el parche de fans
  7. Feb 20, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's important to note that this is the only way to get all three games physically and the only way to get the full experience of the game. The 3DS just does not come with enough storage space if you want to get all three digitally since it would take more than half of the default SD card and basically if you have even one game on it, it might not be enough space. The biggest problem is that the three games barely function as one complete story. Both the Hoshido and Nohr routes end setting up for a final story arc that never occurs and it is only in the Revelations arc that it is partially addressed because they deal with the man/dragon behind the scenes manipulating everything. The game heavily emphasizes choice, but the only possible way to get a choice is through the special edition. The other two versions of the game lock you on a path and you don't really ever get to make that choice until subsequent runs through the game at which point the new routes that show up for an extra $20 becomes the leftover option. If you opt for gameplay more than story, then you won't mind, but as someone who heavily depends on the story to sit through a game, I found it very disappointing. Hopefully, they will release something like DLC to finish the final story arc of Birthright and Conquest. Then we can at least have a satisfying conclusion to Birthright and Conquest parts of the story. Expand
  8. Feb 19, 2016
    I would rate this higher because of the gameplay but the voice direction done in this game is terrible its a shame too because I am fond of many of the actors in it come on nintendo treehouse get it together. Not to mention some of the changed dialogue I mean pickle jokes? Really?
  9. Aug 1, 2016
    (I do not own Fire Emblem Fates: Special Edition. Instead, I have Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright along with the other 2 versions as DLC, I'm posting my review here so I can speak about all three as one game.)

SHORT VERSION: It's an awesome strategy game that improves upon its predecessor. My first entry in the Fire Emblem series, as well as a lot of peoples first entry, was Awakening.

My first entry in the Fire Emblem series, as well as a lot of peoples first entry, was Awakening. It was a really fun strategy game with an interesting enough story to keep me playing. Awakening was intended to be the last in the series due to low sales of previous entries, but it's popularity singlehandedly saved the series and ensured the development of a sequel.

GAME PLAY: Battles take place on a grid where you control your units individually to face an enemy, heal an allied unit, or wait in place. Due to the strategic nature of these battles, taking on an enemy might often take less than 1 or 2 hits to defeat them depending on how strong your units are. The real challenge comes from HOW MANY enemies and reinforcements you face as well as the obstacles presented on the map. This is where the game's strategy comes in as you decide which units are strong in enough to fight which enemies and how best to deal with obstacles.

When you aren't battling, you're given a customizable area called "MyCastle". In this mode, you're allowed to create buildings, with dragon points earned after battles, that sell useful items such as weapons and accessories for units. A lot of time can be spent on this mode even after you complete the story.

It's worth noting that each version of Fates, along with featuring a different story depending on your choice, has a different difficulty style for different types of players. Birthright is easier and recommended for newcomers, Conquest is harder and recommended for series veterans, and Revelation is a middle ground that's challenging but not impossible. Overall, I'd consider Revelation to be the best of the Fates trio in terms of game-play since it concentrates more on the obstacles on the map so that you can strategize on how to work with them. While the other two versions are still fun, Birthright can sometimes feel to easy and Conquest can feel to brutal.

STORY: Your Avatar has been raised their whole life by the royal family of Nohr, having strong relationships with each of their siblings. Later on, they discover that at a young age they were kidnapped by Nohr's mad king Garon from their birth nation Hoshido. At this point, they must choose to side with either their birth family in Hoshido (Birthright), their adopted family in Nohr (Conquest), or refuse to join either side (Revelation). Each side offers an interesting perspective with differing consequences depending on your choice. The story as a whole is a lot more complex then Awakening's plot since it deals the Avatar's feelings on fighting against his family members.

However, without spoiling anything, I personally consider Revelation to be the weakest of the three in terms of story (even though I ironically find it to be the strongest in game-play). I feel it doesn't really go in to enough detail about certain things related to the setting and the main antagonist.

FINAL THOUGHTS: In my opinion, Fates made a lot of improvements over Awakening. The story is more complex and MyCastle is a lot of fun to customize. For newcomers, I'd recommend starting with Birthright to get a feel for the game play and to see if you'd be interested enough to purchase the other 2 versions.
  10. May 23, 2016
    Fire Emblem Fates as a whole seems like an interesting experiment from Nintendo and has certainly paid off. The special edition is hard to come by, but you are getting 3 incredible games in one. I still have my issues with each individual version but as a whole, it contains something for everyone, whether it be in Birthright's accessibility, Conquest's challenge, or Revelation's balanceFire Emblem Fates as a whole seems like an interesting experiment from Nintendo and has certainly paid off. The special edition is hard to come by, but you are getting 3 incredible games in one. I still have my issues with each individual version but as a whole, it contains something for everyone, whether it be in Birthright's accessibility, Conquest's challenge, or Revelation's balance between the two. Expand
  11. Mar 11, 2017
    I had mixed feelings about Revelations because when I played Birthright and Conquest, I had an idea that the last game would eventually tie up all loose ends for the series of game but what eventually happened fell flat because of its ambitions. Story did not live up to its potential and it even requires a DLC to make sense of why the villian is actually a villian. Gameplay was stillI had mixed feelings about Revelations because when I played Birthright and Conquest, I had an idea that the last game would eventually tie up all loose ends for the series of game but what eventually happened fell flat because of its ambitions. Story did not live up to its potential and it even requires a DLC to make sense of why the villian is actually a villian. Gameplay was still amazing though. Not as good as Conquest because of how gimmicky the traps from the dungeons felt like. Expand
  12. Mar 6, 2016
    Normally, I would've given this game a nine, but due to the way people are "bashing" and giving it low scores, I may as well do what I can to help raise that score. I've been a Fire Emblem fan for quite a while now and can honestly say that it's still as enjoyable as ever and the "censorship" in this game has very little impact and is still worth your money. In fact, there are some changesNormally, I would've given this game a nine, but due to the way people are "bashing" and giving it low scores, I may as well do what I can to help raise that score. I've been a Fire Emblem fan for quite a while now and can honestly say that it's still as enjoyable as ever and the "censorship" in this game has very little impact and is still worth your money. In fact, there are some changes that I really liked.

I pre-ordered the special edition knowing that my 3DS was out of room, but I really feel that splitting the game up in three was in a way, hurtful to the experience. The three games do link up from the records hall and even give out some special bonuses, but it's that huge support log (even though you could download the other two to have the same experience). It honestly feels like FE: Fates should be on a single cartridge, but each path is a full fledged game...though I'd say it's a bit smaller than awakening (like 2 or 3 maps smaller per path). I'd rather it have been a 60 or 80 dollar game than three different games.

I've completed the Birthright Path and the story is solid, despite the occasional bad voice acting moment. Though it is nothing compared to Path of Radiance bad. The maps are way better than awakening, but I felt that the lack of units with good defense combined with the blown out maps/very few enemy reinforcements over a long period of time, just added up to be a tiny bit tedious. There are a lot of fun maps though so I'd recommend giving this path a shot before turning your back on it.

As for conquest, I'm up to chapter 15 and can I just say that these maps are amazing. I've heard the story goes downhill from here, but it's not that bad from where I am now. The maps though. Holy cow! People who played older games will really enjoy this as the multiple objectives and the pressure to always keep moving. The maps feel the right size and the units work well with it. Even on hard-classic, I never felt overwhelmed by the difficulty so far. If you could only pick one path to pick, this is the path to go as the maps are worth it.

I haven't played Revelations so I can't judge it, but it seems like it'd be the perfect medium of the two. Anyways, I feel they improved on the Fire Emblem combat in general. Yeah, it feels like that same of fighting system except the position of your characters is much more important due to the pair up system. Adjacent characters can attack together with the partner doing only half a normal attack, or they can be "rescued" or combined with another character to have a gauge that blocks attacks when full as well as blocking a partner attack as well. What's more important is that enemies can do this as well which is where strategy comes into play. (If you play the game, this'll make more sense).

Weapons are also much better in this game. They are pricier to make up for the lack of durability, but speed is a key factor into which weapon to use. Steel and dual ranged weapons like Javelins have speed reductions while Silver weapons lower your stats. So you won't simply be buying and using just a single weapon for each character which again, I feel is better than the durability system.

As for the story and localization, I feel they're just fine. To be honest, I probably wouldn't have taken notice in any of the changes they did if it weren't for all the comments on it. I've played through one story branch completely and done plenty of supports, all of which were pretty well done. There's only been one support that I agree was done poorly, but hopefully a patch will change that one (yes, I'm talking about "..."). I can also say I feel like this game took a more mature route in doing characters than awakening...which might be hard to believe. Sure there's the lol moments such as Nile's "secret lair" but this definitely feels much deeper than awakening.

(WARNING! THIS PART OF THE REVIEW CONTAINS MINOR SPOILERS):

I will says that Fire Emblem Fates does have its faults. I mentioned before that the branches do hurt it a bit. I like the idea, but I'd rather them consider making a much longer game and possibly more of a Radiant Dawn design if they attempt this again. What they do have works, but each path has it's own faults such as Birthright's lack of engaging maps at points.

My biggest gripe is actually the children units. It worked in Awakening and was cool, but...they're reasoning in fates reaches almost idiotic. Apparently you can have a baby that grows into a kid...due to a time paradox. The maps themselves are cool, but I'd rather of just had paralogues or gaiden chapters unlocked by meeting certain requirements than...the paradox children.

[Spoilers End here]

I suppose I'll end on the DLC. The gold and exp ones are a bit of a disappointment compared to how simple and easy awakening's were, but they work better for conquest (Birthright has scouting to solve this problem...which is better than the DLC). They aren't bad but not worth your money as of right now.
  13. Mar 22, 2016
    Well imma gonna get smashed for this but fire emblem fates is by far the one game I've seen so much hate for such a little thing. Fire emblem fates is one of the best fire emblem games to play right now should you have obtained a Special Edition(Bloody scalpers...) this is the best game to play for replayability. That's the key word here. How much of the game do you really enjoy? It'sWell imma gonna get smashed for this but fire emblem fates is by far the one game I've seen so much hate for such a little thing. Fire emblem fates is one of the best fire emblem games to play right now should you have obtained a Special Edition(Bloody scalpers...) this is the best game to play for replayability. That's the key word here. How much of the game do you really enjoy? It's personal preference mind you, you're entitled to your own opinion but when you give reasons such as the gameplay was good but localization was **** and then 0/10 it defies logic. You did enjoy the game did you? No game in its right deserves a zero because of how its localised it only deserves it if it's a bloody mess of a game that doesn't even deserve the right to be played for example bubsy 3D. But I digress fire emblem fates gameplay is the best of awakenings and the past games combined into one and as a long time fan of the series I would actually say play revelation and ignore the rest... But you'd be missing out on 2/3 of gameplay that you didn't play but (Mild Spoiler) I can't stand the plot miguffin they use for Azuras reason for not telling anyone about the kingdom, curse? Really? But that's really the only time I think it went off the path otherwise the game is a solid 8/10 for me and you should try it out if you're new and enjoy tactical rpg gameplay. You never know you might find yourself a new series that you enjoy. Expand
  14. Mar 25, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After playing the game several hours, some flaws were visible, the story is good, but, can't help but feel like this is not just one step back, but several at once. And here's why I rated it at 6.

First, the good things:
    1.- Amazing story. Yes, the story is good and well done.
    2.- Improved graphics. Better than awakening? Yes, a lot.
    3.- Better drawings and battle mechanics are improved

And now the bad:
    1.- Weapons. While it got a new mechanic and they no longer break, I feel that silver weapons got the short end of the stick. Use them and your character becomes pathetically weak. Discard them. For real.

2.- Story. Yes, I know I said good things about it. But, at some point, I got disconnected with it. Having a base is all good and nice, but, it also disconnects you with the story, it breaks immersion. I had hoped it would be like Awakening. If it had an option to go into the castle, but being on the map, would be a lot better. Which brings the next point.

3.- Inexistent map. Look at it. Do you know where Hoshido is? Where Nohr is? I don't. And, certainly don't really care.

4.- Voices. Some times they were nice, but, having a laugh as an answer, feels ... wrong. On many levels.

It may seem like I am nitpicking, but, from what I have been experiencing this far, I don't feel like this game is particularly good. It feels average, AT BEST. Disconnection may have come to me, because I choose to do some side missions and challenge maps, but, I never felt that way in Awakening. And while the new weapon mechanic is interesting, it's downright stupid.

My advice is: sell silver weapons. It's not worth having them. Unless one enemy remains, some other unit is in danger and one of your units can kill it using a silver weapon. I get that they are difficult to use... but, to suffer penalties that never go away, is moronic.
  15. Aug 7, 2016
    Fire Emblem Fates special edition is in fact special. Its amazing that at one time Nintendo had considered shelving the series in NA if Awakening failed to sell 1 million copies. To get 3 Fire Emblem games at the same time and getting a special edition no less is special indeed.

The box itself is well designed with the artwork you would expect. If you preordered through Gamestop; you even get a set of three keychains. Inside the special edition is single cartridge with all 3 games already on it. There is also a FE:Fates 3DS pouch. The main draw of the special edition is the art book however. The pages have a premium finish to them and come in a gorgeous hardcover.

The only criticism I have of the special edition is that fans who weren't lucky enough to preorder don't get the convenience of having all 3 games on one cart. I think I would rather have every copy come with all three games even if it meant paying a slightly higher price up front. On the plus side? Not everyone might be able to afford that so with the split release people can buy the version they want to start with. In the end it all comes out to about the same price. Buying one makes the others a lot cheaper.
  16. Feb 23, 2016

17. Jul 1, 2016
    + Great difficulty level with some amazing level design, its always fair and rewards tactical thinking, and turning off perma death is great for new players
    + watching your units relationships with eachother develop is rewarding and fun
    + watching your units relationships with eachother develop is rewarding and fun
    + Replay value, you can play through any of the campaigns again and have a new experience by favouring different units, trying out different romance paths or upgrading units to different classes
    + 3 campaigns in one package
    + Emotional story with believable characters...
    - ...Even if the dialogue is stilted at times
  18. Aug 15, 2016
    I feel lucky I could get the special edition with the 3 games inside.

First of all, I think this is how the game should've been from the beginning, the two (and then 3) editions stuff doesn't make sense to me. Now I've completed the Hoshido and Nohr paths (and I'm halfway Revelations) I think I can review this game properly. The gameplay is improved from Awakening, which I think
    I feel lucky I could get the special edition with the 3 games inside.

The gameplay is improved from Awakening, which I think it was pretty good, there is some fixes (weapons and abilities that were too broken, like Galeforce) and the fact weapons don't wear out is a great improvement in my opinion (it makes you use more weapons than the "cheapest" ones, because there is no fear of losing them, and that is a good thing).

The maps are WAY better designed than in Awakening, with more objectives than just "kill all enemies" or "kill the boss". Anyway, Birthright still abuses of those objectives, but Conquest and, from what I've seen Revelations, do a better job at this.

Story-wise, the game is a little step down from Awakening, even when that game didn't have a stellar writing. Child units made sense in Awakening and were an epic thing (children going back to the past to save their parents). In this game it doesn't make sense: they have a child and put it in the Dragon Ball Z training room, and then they come out all grown up.

However, I find characters are lovable (design and personality-wise).

The worst thing about the game is in fact the localisation. The game is heavily censored and it shows even if you didn't know about the fiasco. I've even made a test by showing conversations to people who don't know about this game, and they felt they were "off".

English only audio would not be a problem if the dub wasn't so, SO BAD. Seriously, it's soul-less and even seems made in spite. I've listened to the Japanese dialogue and man, it's like day and night.

It's a good and fun game, but censoship does it a weak favor. Even with that I'm enjoying it
  19. Apr 2, 2016
    Fire Emblem Fates is a great game and a worthy successor to Fire Emblem Awakening in a lot of ways. It improves on some things over Awakening, but there are things that it does worse.

The characters, while good, are not as good or memorable as the characters in Awakening were and sometimes they are memorable for all the wrong reasons. They are still very good characters, but they pale in comparison to Awakening. The story is very good and an improvement over Awakening's, tackling subjects like trust, racism, morale and having to decide between bloodline or loyalty, but there is one thing in the story that prevents it from being truly great and i think you'll know what it is when you see it.

Then there's the localization.......it's not great. It's definitely not the worst, but it could have been much better. Though people are taking this way too seriously and saying the game is bad because of it. It doesn't affect the overall quality of the gameplay itself.

Fire Emblem Fates does everything else greatly: One of the best soundtracks in Fire Emblem, beautiful visuals (the cutscenes look absolutely stunning, it's incredible how they look), great gameplay and level structure and a well told story. My Castle was a really cool feature and is very accessible to new players to train, get to know their characters and more. It has something for everyone which very few games can say about themselves nowadays.

It's one of the better games on the 3DS and of the year and is well worth the price of admission. Just don't listen to those who hate game because of the localization because they have no idea what they are talking about.
  20. Feb 26, 2016
    This 0 is for Nintendo allowing scalpers to hijack the Special Edition copies and reselling it for 300% of the retail price. Congrats if you got a copy of the special edition. If you didn't, don't give these scalpers a penny.
  21. Apr 2, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game is afflicted with lazy writing that seemingly took a step back from Awakening. Everything from the basic plot to the character dialogue throughout the game is riddled with plotholes and contradictions which seem to exist only to shoehorn the overarching story across all 3 games. It's a campy, naive, and weak installment for the series as a whole. I wasn't expecting Pulitzer Prize winning writing, but I also didn't expect the writing to be this poor.

Missions can get extremely samey and lack variety, this is less so for Conquest and Revelations, but Birthright really drops the ball on it and I can't seem to understand why. I know they wanted Birthright to be friendly for new players, but that doesn't mean that the level design has to be incredibly boring and repetitive. Separating games also feels like a giant cash-grab by Intelligent Systems and no one seems to be overly bothered by this shrewd business tactic.

Added features new to the series that were brought into these games often bloat the playing experience and conflate more content as being quality content. For instance, while the new castle/invading aspect of the game was a great addition to the series, the addition of things like Lily's alter, "my Unit's" private home, and other features tended to become tedious obligations for the player as they progressed through the story. The hot springs and "petting" feature was also a let down in this regard as they didn't add much to the game or character backgrounds. I had expected some additional dialogue outside of the one-liners that are provided for you. There are no real rewards for maxing out a units "hearts" in the private home and the hot springs is a poor excuse for fan service...which becomes a rather overbearing theme here. Finally, while I could go on for much longer, one more disappointment is the lack of A+ dialogue/scenes and platonic relationships that had existed before Awakening's time. It seems odd that the developers seemingly didn't think anyone would want to see that kind of thing, yet allow Units to reach A+ for the sole purpose of combat and re-classing benefits.

For good qualities? I think the combat and the actual gameplay were very well done. There are some tweaks made to the pairing system that make it worthwhile to actually think about pairing or not pairing units together and also slight alterations towards the weapon system that had added more variety to the combat.

If you are already a fan of the series, I doubt any review will dissuade you from purchasing all three games. However, if you are new to the series and do not particularly enjoy isometric strategy games or games that contain anime-style animations and aesthetics, then I would suggest that this game is not good enough to change your opinion.
  22. Apr 8, 2016
    As a long time Fire Emblem fan, I was really looking forward to this title, especially after Awakening. However, the game feels flat.

For one, they nerfed the heck out of Nosferatu, which, I'll admit needed to be toned down a little. But there are other nerfs too, and it feels like the fun has been nerfed out of the game. The whole "garrison" thing is unnecessary, time-consuming,

The whole "garrison" thing is unnecessary, time-consuming, and unrewarding. And the romance stuff is just silly. Not to mention, why add same-sex romance if you've only got ONE option for a partner?

For the first time in any Fire Emblem game ever, I just stopped playing and didn't go back.
  23. Feb 22, 2016
    While the gameplay is really great, the removal of mini games, the awful voice acting and the cut dialog makes Fire Emblem Fates story an unenjoyable mess that is not worth your time.
  24. Dec 25, 2016
    I have, at the moment, no time to give a full review on all aspects, or explain why I dislike this game.
    regardless- Fire Emblem Fates is a disgraceful steaming lump of **** and the most deplorable cesspool of lazy, shamelessly and shoddily slapped together writing with characters more forgettable than a night of heavy drinking. Awakening set up the pinnacle of the art that is Fire Emblem, and Fates is nothing more than the equivalent of a rom hack tailor-made for weebs and to falsely advertise 'player choice'. Any true Fire Emblem fan can say with absolute truth, that this game fails on every level as a Fire Emblem game.
    seriously- **** this game.
  25. Jun 24, 2016
    If I did not know I would give the Japanese version of the game 7, but seeing how much remove and change (unfortunately for the worse), I can not give enough.
    Instead of doing 3 separate medium-quality game, the whole effort could translate properly to make only one track.
  26. Oct 30, 2017
    This game was very disapointing to me.
    It's like Awakening, but worse characters (Peri and Camilla), music, not as fun to make an Overpowered team. It's not bad however, It's a great game (Conquest has some of the best gameplay in the series) But it's just Kinda disapointing. Also the story and writing is just hilariously bad at times.
  27. Jan 10, 2018
    For a while i thought Fire Emblem Awakening was the best fire emblem game, even during my playthrough of Fire Emblem Fates, But going back to awakening I realise how good Fates was.

I've played every Fire Emblem game that got a western release, and even a couple of the japanese ones with patch translations, over the last 5 years, and this one is hands down my favourite. First of all,

First of all, its massive, with 3 different branches to play through. Other Fire Emblem games have had a branch split, but not as many as this one. I prefer the unbreakable weapons, that have positive and negatives, to other fire emblem games breakable weapons, although I think they're both good in their own right.

The story in Fates is easily the best one too, most are pretty forgettable, I did enjoy Awakenings time travel story line, but Fates is a much more emotional investment, which honestly is what Fire Emblem is all about, you want to care about the characters, because then it leave you in more of a predicament when they die near the end of a really tough level, do you take the hit or do you restart the level and hope you can do a better job.

The most important aspect though, that makes this the best game in the series, is the level design. The level design is so much better than any other game in series, and because there are so many levels this is even more impressive. The rest of the games seem pretty linear in comparison, sure there's the odd memorable level, but the ones in fates are just so well done, your not just having to strategise against the AI, but you're also battling against the changing in environments around you.

This isn't just my favourite Fire Emblem game, this is my all time favourite game. I'm not rating this game a 10 to counter balance the negative reviews, this game is 10, period.
  28. Sep 15, 2016
    Now i love the Fire emblem series and this installment is no exception but i do have the odd gripe here and there. first off is the new pair up system at first i had everyone separate and was struggling to get people to love each other without dying, at which point i decided that i would do like i did in awakening and just pair up the ones who i wanted to marry and just forget about dualNow i love the Fire emblem series and this installment is no exception but i do have the odd gripe here and there. first off is the new pair up system at first i had everyone separate and was struggling to get people to love each other without dying, at which point i decided that i would do like i did in awakening and just pair up the ones who i wanted to marry and just forget about dual strikes and this made me enjoy the game a lot more as the partnering aspect is a huge part of fire emblem for me.

My only other problem was with the story. There are quite a lot of plot holes in all the story lines and the odd deus ex machina which really is Frustrating and whilst I'm moaning if I'm honest Corrin is a little B*tch and contradicts His/her self all the time.

But enough with the bad here is the good. The new battle system is amazing like a said before hated it at first but once you know what you are doing it is quite amazing trying to tactically save a guard to take a big hit.and with some of the new abilities it makes some of the previously less favourable classes, archers, and allows them access abilities that can make them useful, some even frighteningly overpowered.

What the story may do wrong the characters are such a redeeming factor with so many quirky personalities and with such a large character base I'm was truly impressed that they made each and every character seem unique to me. Only kind of problem was in revelations when you are flooded with characters and its impossible to chose all your favorite character but that's just my fault for being to clingy :P

The music score is wonderful and when the remixed version of Asura's song comes on during the final battles it really does get you kind of pumped

The graphics are very pleasing in the game although there are a few areas which look like they should give you a bonus in def&avoid but is actually in a square beside it. The 3D looks fantastic and the battle animations are great to watch, especially when you hit about 4 different ability triggers!

all in all i think this game is fantastic with a few flaws here and there but nothing to make this game not worth picking up 8/10
  29. Feb 25, 2020
    Al comprar solo un titulo me encuentro con la mala sorpresa que solo la edición especial contenía las 3 rutas.
    los que compraron el juego y verse que es necesario la compra de las rutas siguientes como DLC se siente como una traición al fan de la franquicia.
    El que hayan salido no 2, sino 3 juegos cambiando rutas lo hace ver como que el Sr. Dinero va primero que los jugadores. Se siente
    Se siente incompleto al jugarlo (solo una ruta) y dejandote claro que solo tienes 1/3 del juego completo.
    Y el completar las 3 rutas que son casi iguales da una pereza sin igual. como comprar pokemon X/Y y sin tener nada que sostenga este tipo de decision.
    Se siente que las nuevas mecánicas, quieren llevar a una forma mas simple de combate a la franquicia.
    La música excelente, gráficamente los mapas no me terminan de convencer respecto al tamaño que se observan, en anteriores entregas como Awakening habían encontrado un equilibrio, en este no demuestran a los héroes demasiados detalles, sin encontrar esteticamente nada nuevo (util) en el combate

Pro:
    - Es un FE mas cinematografico
    - La gran cantidad de héroes excede en mucha cantidad en comparación a las otras entregas.

Con
    - El tener solo 1 tramo de la historia se siente como tener un juego incompleto y comprar las 3 se siente como que fueras estafado.
    - La rejugabilidad del titulo decae ya que el contar con la misma historia 3 veces (1 vez por faccion) hace que se vuelva monotono y con ya pensar en realizarlo 3 veces se me quitaron las ganas de completarlo al 100%.

El querer monetizar demasiado el propio titulo hace que no puedas disfrutar cómodamente el mismo titulo, junto con su poca aclaracion del tipo de negocio (Como pokemon) que quiere implementar.
    Terminado 1 vez y guardado (por ahora) para nunca mas jugarlo otra vez.
  30. Sep 1, 2017
    A great fire emblem game that you should try if you are at all interested in the series, it has great characters, great gameplay and is overall just a good time
  31. Jan 1, 2018
    Having played fates, I gotta say the game itself is legitimately very, very good, a worthy successor to Awakening. Only complaint I have is unrelated to the game itself: this whole multiple versions thing was an interesting take but I don't think it fits the FE series and overcomplicates it so I hope the next installments are single versions again.
  32. Mar 20, 2018
    9.1/10, it succeeds. It's not as good as Awakening, however it's still great.
  33. Jul 25, 2019
    I played all three games. The best game of the three is revelations cause its the only version that offers a complete story with almost no plotholes. The gameplay is what i expect from a fire emblem game and the maps are diverse and interesting. birthright is bland and easy but does not overstay its welcome. Conquest is better on the story but gameplay needed big adjustments cause phoenixI played all three games. The best game of the three is revelations cause its the only version that offers a complete story with almost no plotholes. The gameplay is what i expect from a fire emblem game and the maps are diverse and interesting. birthright is bland and easy but does not overstay its welcome. Conquest is better on the story but gameplay needed big adjustments cause phoenix mode is just a giant band aid for its inherent bigger gameplay problems.

The only game that felt truly complete was revelation but that was dlc. Fates biggest problem is that it feels like it should have been one game and there were tell tale signs it was like the fact YOU GO THROUGH THE SAME 6 CHAPTERS IN ALL THREE GAMES BEFORE MAKING A DECISION ON YOUR CHOICE. literally this should have been one game from the beginning that becomes so much clearer when you beat it. Honestly this is the messiest fire emblem game ive ever played and ive beaten raidant dawn which is a pretty messy game but still holds up.

I think that this is the worst set of modern Fe games that has come out. Its not bubsy 3d bad no not many games can come close to but its disappointing in how bad they were.

Birthright: way to easy but at least way not that hard to complete so it never stayed longer than it had to but pretty basic story but had big plotholes.

Conquest: decent story but too many big plotholes and gameplay was a catastrophe where it needed more work instead of using phoenix mode as a quick fix. (this game will burn you out hard)

Revelations: best of the three decent map design, balanced units and a decent story but too many units but is the one i had most fun with because it was the most balanced.

Overall: Play revelations cause its the real story and the one your are going to enjoy the most. birthright is too easy and conquest is too difficult but there are inherent problems that needed to be fixed for it to have been good.

(The special edition also shows that yeah this could have been all one game but they chose not to which shows why certain parts of the games are so unbalanced.) its a 6.5 out of 10 its mediocre
  34. Dec 29, 2019
    Bien los mapas y la interfaz, la historia deja mucho que desear y muchas acciones de los personajes no tienen justificación sólida ni una filosofía pedorra al menos, parece que va a ser algo serio pero nada más no lo saben hacer creíble, sin mencionar las maids y las hermanitas que le quitan seriedad y termina rozando a ser historia de anime de temporada.
  35. Jan 1, 2020
    Amazing, very amazing, the best Fire Emblem game in my hearts :cry: :cry: :cry:

Generally favorable reviews - based on 36 Critic Reviews

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Nov 7, 2016
    Pure Japanese turn-based strategy comes in three versions with different quality. The game would thrill all brave players but can also bore those who will go through it with the seatbelts fastened. [Issue#267]
  2. CD-Action
    Aug 21, 2016
    A brilliant tactical RPG that easily pulls you into its world with charming dialogues, memorable character designs and perfect soundtrack. [08/2016, p.75]
  3. Aug 11, 2016
    Although Fire Emblem Fates is slightly larger and more complex than its predecessor Fire Emblem Awakening, it fails to ignite a same level of a boundless enthusiasm, because both games are just too similar. All and all it isn´t anything bad. On the contrary, it’s still a top turn-based strategy with a great focus on RPG elements. You hardly find some better games on 3DS.