8.7

Buy Now
Buy on

1. Sep 15, 2017
    FINALLY! The first side-scrolling action-adventure classic Metroid game since 2004's Metroid: Zero Mission. This is the franchise that invented the "Metroidvania" genre and it's a masterpiece! Perfect and fast 2D gameplay with gorgeous stereoscopic 3D graphics on the 3DS. This is a Masterpiece. 10/10
  2. Sep 15, 2017
    This is the type of Metroid game we needed for a LONG time. Especially for a game that was once on the OG Gameboy. Metroid 2 was my first game of the franchise that I played back in 1991. So seeing a remake of it is a sight for sore eyes. Better story, graphics and difficulty along with new abilities and mythos. Buy it, people!
  3. Sep 15, 2017
    AM2R was good but this one is even better. Really. Game Design is top notch. It could be a bit more open for my taste. Getting the hang for the controls takes a bit time.
  4. Jun 18, 2018
    Completion: 100% single playthrough

Pros: - Parrying and analog aiming are great additions that help make combat feel more involved - giving you more options to handle different scenarios - The big boss battles (primarily near the end of the game) are a lot of fun, although strategies for actually defeating the bosses can be somewhat obfuscated and not made very clear by any aspect of
    Completion: 100% single playthrough

Pros:
    - The big boss battles (primarily near the end of the game) are a lot of fun, although strategies for actually defeating the bosses can be somewhat obfuscated and not made very clear by any aspect of the game
    - Classic isolated Metroid atmosphere bolstered by a soundtrack that while not stellar on its own, certainly does the job in the context of the game
    - The game is simply a great joy to go through due to the strength of the classic Metroid formula. MercurySteam has done well with this classic franchise and has kept many of its core elements intact for this entry. The meshing of exploration, combat, and steady progression still manage to work well in this one.

Cons:
    - Structure is too repetitive and linear for a game that should be all about exploration - this applies especially for the mini-bosses littered throughout the levels
    - Power-ups are far too easy to find due to the scan ability. Makes exploration feel less rewarding because you are essentially just following the map. Although this certainly gets rid of some of the frustration often associated with feeling as if you need to bomb/missile every single tile in the game in order to progress, such as is sometimes felt in other Metroid titles, MercurySteam's new method also has issues with it
    - All the Aeion abilities are flawed and I feel as if the game would have been better without them. They are, for the most part, unengaging mechanics that only end up being used in the specific, limited moments where the game wants you to. Although the mechanic is certainly interesting, I wish it could have been implemented better.
    - Don't enjoy the 2.5D graphics - especially when applied to the Metroid universe. Everything seems a bit too cartoony due to the 3D models.

Final Word:
    Metroid: Samus Returns is a must-play for any Metroidvania fan. While MercurySteam's innovations are both positive and negative, the newest entry in the franchise is certainly a return to form after the last few disappointing titles and is a blast to play front-to-back, despite the oversimplification of the exploration.

True Score:
    8.3
  5. Nov 7, 2017
    The OG of side scrollers and the co-creator of the Metroidvania genre is back stronger than ever. Packing the best of both 2D and 3D Metroids, Samus Returns manages to make a triumphant return to form after long hiatus of the franchise in 2.5D. The graphics flow very well into the game with a beautiful 3D stereoscopic view, coupled with amazing in game cinematics for bosses and finishingThe OG of side scrollers and the co-creator of the Metroidvania genre is back stronger than ever. Packing the best of both 2D and 3D Metroids, Samus Returns manages to make a triumphant return to form after long hiatus of the franchise in 2.5D. The graphics flow very well into the game with a beautiful 3D stereoscopic view, coupled with amazing in game cinematics for bosses and finishing moves that gives a new fresh feeling to the old trusted Metroid formula.

The music is mostly remixes from past titles and the sound effects for items are taken out of the prime trilogy, and considering the original game only had like 3 tunes I say the Mercury Steam did great job giving it a breath of fresh air to the game.

The map is HUGE. This is without a doubt the biggest layout we ever had for a 2D Metroid and it's great. Coming from someone who played Metroid II vividly when I was a child, you can feel this is what the developers would have done if the gameboy had the power to do it back then.

Bosses are mostly Metroids with a few surprises here and there and works just fine considering the core of the original game is whipping out the Metroid species. For some people it might get a little bit repetitive but I always enjoyed hunting Metroids in the original and getting better at killing them more swiftly and faster. You could tell that Mercury Steam as a whole had great concepts to add to the franchise with the few original bosses they added and the complete rework they did for the Metroid life cycle, which means that if they are in charge for creating the next 2D metroid, you can expect to blow us out of the water.

Enemie variety is the only gripe I had with this game as they tried to be faithful to the original fauna of SR388, which can get somewhat stale considering most enemies are very basic and lower enemies found in the planet are mostly a recolor of an earlier one.

The progression in this game flows amazingly, and I would go as far to consider it the best in the franchise. it starts slow with you depending on the new counter mechanic to survive, having to pause constantly to use it and avoid damage. The envirornment is also out to get you so you are always on your toes, moving cautiously avoid taking damage. Then you hit a certain area which I'm not gonna spoil which makes you godlike, suddently you are not even looking at the top screen, just running and jumping all around killing everything in your path like a madman while hunting down the next metroid in the map, something no other Metroid has been able to do, mostly because you get the best abilities in the endgame when there is no point of having them more than doing the final clean up if you like going for 100%.

Overall this is a game Metroid fans have long waited for and I consder it a must buy if you enjoy the Metroidvania genre. 10/10 it's a masterpiece.
  6. Nov 16, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Samus returns with an adventure that it's an example of how all remakes should be, respecting the original game, honoring the classics and adding a pinch from the latest games. Samus Returns is not only a great Metroid game: is also one of the best titles for the Nintendo 3DS. Expand
  7. Jul 12, 2018
    The only reason I bought a 2DSXL was to play this game. Loved Super, Zero and Fusion so much. So I guess expectations were probably too high, but this was not disappointing. Agreed with the other reviews about the repetitive mini-bosses and lack of variety. And it's true that it's an easier game, but that was fine by me. Wonderful attention to detail, especially sound, which needs to beThe only reason I bought a 2DSXL was to play this game. Loved Super, Zero and Fusion so much. So I guess expectations were probably too high, but this was not disappointing. Agreed with the other reviews about the repetitive mini-bosses and lack of variety. And it's true that it's an easier game, but that was fine by me. Wonderful attention to detail, especially sound, which needs to be listened to on good headphones to be appreciated. And lots of it is just plain fun, especially the usual Metroid progression in abilities as you move through the game. Very well done. Expand
  8. Oct 11, 2020
    Last version of my review. I've just played through the game in under 4 hours on hard mode (to unlock one of the endings).

The game is very solid mechanically, the shooting is on point, and each aeon ability is useful depending on the situation you're in. The game's vast array of corridors is interesting to explore and there is no shortage of action. Ennemies are powerful, but can be

Ennemies are powerful, but can be killed off very swiftly by a skilled player.
    The counter ability doesn't fit this game well, but it's optional to use it, though some ennemies were obviously designed to be a pain in the ass to defeat without it.
    I made the last playthrough without using it at all, and I was much better off.

Certainly one of the best games on 3ds.
  9. Dec 11, 2017
    Doesn't quite reach the heights of Super or Zero. The different areas are a bit too similar to each other design wise (the areas in Super had more characters), but it's still very impressive for MS's first Metroid project. The controls are great (especially the 350 degree aiming), though there is a little bit too much emphasis on the melee counter. Still, one of the very best games on theDoesn't quite reach the heights of Super or Zero. The different areas are a bit too similar to each other design wise (the areas in Super had more characters), but it's still very impressive for MS's first Metroid project. The controls are great (especially the 350 degree aiming), though there is a little bit too much emphasis on the melee counter. Still, one of the very best games on the 3DS. I expect MS's next Metroid to be among the series' best. Expand
  10. Nov 14, 2017
    Metroid is back! So glad that Nintendo is finally giving us what the gamers want. This is one of the best Metroid games ever made. We need more games like this! Please Nintendo, keep it coming!
  11. Sep 16, 2017
    People hating on this game because nintendo shut down the Metroid 2 remake last year can crawl in their corner and cry. This game is a proper, and way better remake, and by purchasing it, you actually support the franchise. The atmosphere, music, controls, are all great. Buy this game!
  12. Sep 16, 2017
    Great game, This is really the return of Samus, The 3d is amazing, the design is great and the new meele ability is fantastic. More than a remake it is a brand new game.
  13. Sep 16, 2017
    Simplemente un juego increíble, un gran regreso para Samus en forma de un remake que se mantiene fiel en gran parte del juego original de game boy, pero a su vez destaca por introducir mecánicas nuevas y refrescantes que hacen un goce para la jugabilidad.
    La apariencia y la banda sonora de este juego es una obra de arte.
  14. Sep 17, 2017
    It is not without its faults. The enemy variety is definitely subpar, the backtracking would have benefited from hiding new items in previous areas instead of placing them ever forward and leaving only tanks as backtracking rewards, and the new recurring boss is a bit more irritating than intimidating. But ultimately, I just can't hear all of that over the sound of Metroid being back.It is not without its faults. The enemy variety is definitely subpar, the backtracking would have benefited from hiding new items in previous areas instead of placing them ever forward and leaving only tanks as backtracking rewards, and the new recurring boss is a bit more irritating than intimidating. But ultimately, I just can't hear all of that over the sound of Metroid being back. Samus Returns is simply an appropriate title, and finally playing a bona fide 2D metroid more than a decade after Zero Mission is exhilarating. I was really weary of it since it was MercurySteam, a studio sort of infamous for Castlevania Lords of Shadow, but they definitely earned their place, and their future, as a studio who made a goddamn Metroid.
    There really was no need to take down AM2R for the sake of the game though, especially in light of Samus Returns being completely different in its map layout than the original. They're two vastly different games.
  15. Sep 16, 2017
    Metroid: Samus Returns is a masterpiece. This is what fans of the metroid series have been waiting for. The game perfectly nails the metroidvania gameplay. The environments are beautiful, the bosses are epic and the art style is very cool! Check this game out!
  16. Sep 17, 2017
    Samus Returns is the game 2D Metroid fans have been craving for over 13 years.

In terms of story, it follows the exact story as Metroid 2, except for one twist I will not spoil here. The Galactic Federation decides to genocide all the Metroids, and sends Samus to do the job. So she goes to SR388 to kill them all. The presentation of the game is good for the 3DS. The issue is that
    Samus Returns is the game 2D Metroid fans have been craving for over 13 years.

The presentation of the game is good for the 3DS. The issue is that ending phrase "for the 3DS." Don't get me wrong, it's doing everything in that little console's power to get across the feeling of Metroid, but graphically it can only do so much. It has the color pallets right, it has the atmosphere right, but the fuzzy visuals of the 3DS hold it back. It would have been amazing looking on the Switch, but let's face it, Nintendo's Japan office has little faith in the series so a cheaper 3DS game was likely.

The music is good, although most of it is remixed from Super Metroid. I understand that it's a fan favorite, so that was likely to happen, but it would have been nice to have some cues from Fusion, given that A, this was originally going to be a Fusion remake and B, a lot of us experienced these creatures and landscapes in the BSL back in Fusion.

Gameplay is a dream come true. It has all the fluidity of the GBA games, but the huge open world factor of the older console games. Sure, you have the OPTION to have the game guide you more, but you don't have to use it at all.

There are also upgrades to basic combat as well. The 360 degree aiming is probably the most logical evolution of the series. Old games would let you fire in 8 directions, so it makes sense to bring that here. Then there's the counter. While it's not specifically required to beat any enemies, if you choose to master it, the game will feel more elegant as you run through a corridor, counter an enemy, fire, and continue onward.

There are complaints I can give, though. There is a maneuver you can't do until the late game with a combination of two powerups, but nothing in the game tells you how to do this maneuver. As a result, completionists will be left pondering how to get an item surrounded by the red spikes that pollute the planet.

In some cases, combat feels a little trial and error, especially against some of the bosses. I felt frustrated personally, but I also get that this is part of what made old school Metroid great: Figuring out what to do with the arsenal you have to take down the giant baddies.

This is also one of the few games that makes backtracking fun. Going back when you have all the major powerups to get 100% completion sounds tedious, but enemies that gave you trouble before suddenly melt when you show up with a super powered beam, more missiles than the entirety of the United States Armed Forces, and a literal energy field from jumping.

I do have one major complaint though, and that is with the ice beam. It is the only beam powerup that does not stack with the other beams (aside from the grapple beam, but that's not a combat item). As a result, not only do you have to charge it to make it worth anything, even against Metroids who are supposed to be weak to ice, but it makes combat feel clunky when having to quickly swap beams.

Clunky could also describe the morph ball here. See, the d-pad is used for the new aeon abilities, resulting in you only being allowed to control Samus with the analog pad. This means that, to go into morph ball, instead of clicking a button twice, you have to slide the pad twice. A minor complaint, yes, but it's the difference between a rotary phone and a phone with buttons. It's less convenient.

All of that aside, this is still an amazing game that deserves more attention than the little time Nintendo was willing to give it. I only hope this game sells well enough to prove to Nintendo that we don't want Other M, we don't want Federation Force, we want good, old fashioned, well crafted, smooth Metroid Games.
  17. Sep 15, 2017
    I played all 2d Metroid games and a lot of Metroidvania games and this is the best one ever made. The controls and combat and level design and graphics and music are as good as you will ever find on the 3ds.
  18. Sep 15, 2017
    Un juego completamente nuevo que mantiene su esencia. Me saco el sombre ante Mercurty Steam que hicieron un buen trabajo y sin duda lo estoy disfrutando.
  19. Sep 16, 2017
    Metroid: Samus Returns is a 10/10. The game design and gameplay are incredible! I think the stereoscopic 3D graphics make this game look amazing. This game is everything that makes metroid great!
  20. Sep 15, 2017
    This game is a visual feast. There are lots of graphical details. The 3D effects are top notch and very well done. The small cutscenes that happen in-game are very nice to watch. The music is bloody great. The remixes are eargasmingly good.

Now let's get to the gameplay. You jump with the B button, use Aeion abilities with the A button, shoot with the Y button, melee counter with the X button and select Aeion abilities with the D-Pad. You can rotate the arm cannon 360 degrees when you hold L and use missiles when you hold R. Pressing Start opens the map as you would expect. It's very similar to Zero Mission, but this time you can place a total of 10 pins on the map, allowing you to mark places you would want to check out later. Pressing R on the map allows you to see Samus' power ups which you have collected. My one complaint about the controls would be the A button for using Aeion abilities. I keep accidentally using them, wasting my Aeion energy.

New to the game are Aeion abilities. I won't spoil what those are because that would ruin the fun of discovering them yourself. One thing that has changed is wall jumping. You only have to touch the wall and pressing B will make you wall jump automatically. Honestly, I don't like this change very much because I think it removes the skill ceiling required to perform a wall jump. Also, you can't infinite wall jump, just like in Metroid Fusion. Bomb jumping now also requires no skill, as you can perform it simply by spamming bombs. Except these tiny details, the controls are very smooth and great. The melee counter is easy to use, but hard to master. It needs very precise timing and feels very rewarding when you get it right.

The beam power-ups don't stack just like in the original game, but at least you get to keep them, so you can switch between them anytime you want. However, this requires you to USE THE TOUCH SCREEN which means you have to get your hand off the console to pick up the stylus. You could just use your finger too but that leaves fingerprints and eh... I don't like fingerprints. Honestly, I would've prefered the beams to stack, making Samus get stronger as the game went on.

Remember how killing Metroids magically made the acid lower in the original game? This time, you have to collect Metroid DNA samples by killing Metroids and deposit them to Chozo Seals. At last, the lowering acid gets an actual explanation! Energy and Ammo Recharge Stations also return like in the original game. Various Teleport Stations are also scattered around the map. These allow you to, hence the name, teleport between areas on SR388. The map is also very sequence breakable, so you'll have lots of fun if you're a Metroid veteran.

The difficulty though... It seems easy at first but the Metroids can be very deadly if you're not careful. I had a little trouble myself as a Metroid veteran but I can't even think how crushing it would be for newcomers. Play Zero Mission or Fusion first if you're new to the series.

The game has some FPS drops here and there on the Old 3DS but the performance overall is pretty good.

I can't comment about the Amiibos because I own an Old 3DS, so I don't have Amiibo support, nor do I have Amiibos sold in my country.
  21. Sep 15, 2017
    Metroid: Samus Returns is the game we've been waiting for, for years. It's a game styled like the Metroid Prime series, but in 2D. It's a game that has nearly everything the fans have been asking for and more. And it's probably the series' last hope.

AM2R was an amazing game, but it doesn't support this series. Metroid Samus Returns is a DIFFERENT great game, and buying it could save the franchise. At the very least, the 2D part of it. You can play both. Don't act like you need to pick a side.
  22. Sep 20, 2017
    It took me over 11 hours to finish the game and I enjoyed every bit of a second. After seven years of waiting Samus finally really returns. The game offers everything you would want from classic 2D Metroid game and much more.
    Is the game full of discovery? Check.
    Cool upgrades? Check. Astonishingly and creepy atmosphere? Check check check. I did finish the game with 48% completion
    Is the game full of discovery? Check.
    Cool upgrades? Check.
    Astonishingly and creepy atmosphere? Check check check.
    I did finish the game with 48% completion rate. So u assume if I would finish it 100%if so take me 24 hours of gameplay.
    My only complaint about Metroid is the additional content can only be unlocked using Amiibo. Good luck hunting these extremely rare Amiibo pieces. And seriously, why do I have to pay extra 40 dollars for extra hard mode and some galleries?
    Otherwise, I'm extremely happy with this game. Let's hope this game (with the Switch version) will become even more successful so we will not have to wait 7 years again for a new Metroid game :)
  23. Sep 17, 2017
    This game is just perfect. As a Metroid fan, i loved this game, Mercury Steam made this game just perfect, they made the game with actual graphics and gameplay, adding new fun mechanics and with the best 3D i've ever seen in Nintendo 3DS. 10/10
  24. Sep 17, 2017
    This game stands shoulder to shoulder with the classic 2D metroids such as Fusion and Zero mission(I love the handheld metroids), while it is truly a traditional Metroid game it also brings new elements to the game play and presentation, Samus Returns looks good, sounds good and plays good.

If you like Metroid, then you need to get this game, it works so well on the 3ds. The only

The only complaints I would have, is that I personally seem to get a bit of I.. guess, motion sickness from the 3d, which is totally bizarre but I think that is more me than the game, also the melee attack is a lot easier than it was portrayed leading up to the release. I personally also find the controls good, I have no issues controlling Samus and the 360 degree shooting is great.

Samus Returns is going to go down as another classic entry in the metroid series and it deserves the high praise it is getting.
  25. Sep 17, 2017
    Metroid Samus Returns is the 2D Metroid game we have been waiting for. Even if it is a remake of the original Gameboy title (which is good, because that game does deserve some attention) it’s not a bad remake. The only complaints I have are minor, but I will get into those later. For now let’s talk about the positive. The gameplay is quick and fun just like your typical Metroid game. YouMetroid Samus Returns is the 2D Metroid game we have been waiting for. Even if it is a remake of the original Gameboy title (which is good, because that game does deserve some attention) it’s not a bad remake. The only complaints I have are minor, but I will get into those later. For now let’s talk about the positive. The gameplay is quick and fun just like your typical Metroid game. You have to kill all the Metroids and kill the Queen. Along your journey you will find many weapons and upgrades to aid you on your journey one of these upgrades being the Aeion abilities. You get a variety of them including the ability to scan the room and show you the hidden blocks, a shield for your suit, and a rapid burst for your blaster giving you a heavier fire power and more. The visuals are superb; the music is beautiful yet eerie giving your surrounds a very freaky vibe. There is a Metroid indicator to let you know when you are getting near a Metroid. You can still explore the large area and get lost which is nice, and your map is more helpful than ever being able to place pins to help you remember important spots.

Fighting the Metroid’s is fun and challenging. You start off with a simple alpha Metroid and work your way up the evolution chain. As you climb up the chain their fighting ability changes. They can also run away from you if scared, and you have to go and track them down. The bonus of this is that they do not regain their energy. So you don’t have to do all of it over again. Now you do take a beating which does make the game harder but not that much. It’s really a typical Metroid game.

NOW let’s talk about the minor nitpicks. Again, these are just minor and don’t affect the game what so ever. The controls are smooth, but I don’t like using the joystick to control samus. Especially when going into the morph ball and accidentally hitting up when I think I have the spiderball ability activated. You cannot modify the controls either which is a letdown. Now the next complaint is the elevators and save stations. Normally if you want to go down or save in a Metroid game you just stand and hit a button on the directional pad. Simple right? Well Metroid Samus returns does something a little bit different. You just stand on a pedestal until it hits the ground and then you go down the elevator. So this is so you don’t accidentally go down and have to go back up. Cool right? Knowing this, you have to stand still at it to be able to go down. So why on earth do I need to confirm my action again when I already know I have to stand perfectly still on a stone tablet in order just to use something to begin with? Again a minor complaint but still one. Missile tanks only increase by 3 instead of 5 which are annoying but you will be using them like a deranged Walter White and enemies drop missiles like candy so it’s not a big deal. You can’t wall jump in small gaps which makes sense, but if you’re used to all the other games it will seem insane. But again that’s about it really. That’s a good thing that there are minor complaints rather than major.

Overall Metroid Samus Returns is a fantastic remake of an already amazing game. It is worth the purchase and play through if you want something to do while you wait for Prime 4. Still wish they wouldn’t have pulled a C&D on the AM2R game, but I had to not think about that entire story while playing this game to give it a fair chance. So is it better than the last two monstrosities that Nintendo released? Yes, by far. I hope you found this review useful.
  26. Sep 15, 2017
    If I could describe this game in one word, it'd be: "Finally".

It has been far too long since we've gotten an official 2D Metroid game from Nintendo. It's been around 13 years since its last outing with Metroid: Zero Mission. That being said, this recent installment demonstrates that Nintendo still understands what makes the series tick. Developed by Mercurysteam, the same people
    If I could describe this game in one word, it'd be: "Finally".

Developed by Mercurysteam, the same people behind the contentious Castlevania: Lords of Shadow series, Samus Returns was a game that I was quite skeptical about upon its initial announcement. I was never a fan of their Castlevania titles, so I went into their newest outing with caution. However my worries were quelled when I had finally gotten hold of the game and found that I couldn't bring myself to put it down.

The world and creatures of the reimagined SR-388 are quite vibrant and a beauty to look at. There is a pop when it comes to this game, and I think a contributor to that would be the new artstyle. It seems to emphasize the more hostile aspects of this familiar and yet somehow brand new alien world. The soundtrack is alluring and nostalgic, filled with remixes of music throughout the series' lifespan. The gameplay is comprised of an excellent mixture of both old traditions and modern enhancements. Exploration is largely the same affair as the previous titles. You'll traverse expansive and hostile areas using a variety of techniques such as the classic morph ball or with the new aeon abilities. The combat in Samus Returns shows that our favorite bounty hunter has plenty of tricks up her sleeve. Samus can now use melee counters in order to stun and destroy her enemies. While trailers made it seem it would be a piece of cake, playing the game proves otherwise as preforming said moves requires fairly precise timing. Let it be known that this game is quite difficult and you may find yourself dying a fair bit depending on how you play. But with a steady head and hand, you'll be able to conquer anything thrown at you.

Another element which drew me in was the reveal of the Chozo Memories. They are snippets of lore you can unlock which reveal some pretty startling information about the history of Metroid. Actually, there are a several things aside from the Chozo Memories which longtime fans of the series will enjoy. But with that being said, this game also acts as an excellent jumping on point for newcomers due to its straightforward narrative of "KILL ALL METROIDS".

All in all, Samus Returns is a title which I'd deem worthy of the Metroid name. It is a love letter to all fans of the series and would make a fine piece to their collection. Hell, if you've never played a Metroid title before, then do yourself a favor and pick this up.
  27. Sep 16, 2017
    i just want to express about how am grateful to nintendo for Metroid samus returns, as a huge fan of metroid while am playing this game i felt the real taste of metroid, it gives me the real taste.. the real playstyle, it gives me the real feeling that am really playing metroid.
    i bought 3DS in 2013 Only for zelda between worlds, after i finish this legend i just turned the 3DS off for good, after 4 years i turned it ON only for this new legend, and it Really worth.
    Finally, Nintendo.. u dont have to create a differed game to call it metroid, like Metroid Prime: Federation Force. cus fan gonna get angry and new players gonna just ignore it.
  28. Sep 15, 2017
    Quién diría que este juego fuera tan bueno, llevo 12 horas y sigo súper enganchado. Lo que los fan de Metroid estábamos esperando simplemente espectacular
  29. Sep 16, 2017
    Great visuals, game-play, and music. This game is great for any person new to the series to start with, and definitely a treat for us old fans as we wait for Prime 4.
  30. Sep 15, 2017
    Metroid Samus Returns is exactly what i wanted as a 2D Metroid fan , the soundtrack , visuals and gameplay are all great . Its been a decade since Nintendo has made a True 2D metroid game and im glad they have finnaly listened to their fans. So far ( about 5 hours in ) i could confidently say that this is 10/10 metroid game.
  31. Sep 15, 2017
    Samus is back baby! It is about time we get a new metroid, even if it is a re imagining. This is the Apex of the 3ds game library. It has amazing music, wonderful gameplay and im keeping this short just to go play it
  32. Sep 15, 2017
    Fantastic game, it feels so different than Metroid 2 that seems like a brand new game to explore. The counter feels so awesome to use because its has some tight active frames, so it fulfilling when you pull off the counter. Nothing feels clunky about this game and now outdated mechanics in Metroid 2 have been modernized, such as quick teleport and having hotkeys for different attacks onFantastic game, it feels so different than Metroid 2 that seems like a brand new game to explore. The counter feels so awesome to use because its has some tight active frames, so it fulfilling when you pull off the counter. Nothing feels clunky about this game and now outdated mechanics in Metroid 2 have been modernized, such as quick teleport and having hotkeys for different attacks on the bottom screen. Expand
  33. Dec 14, 2018
    Distinctly inferior to the fan-created AM2R, this is a decent effort but the weakest entry to the 2D Metroid series since the original Metroid 2.

The linear design stifles exploration, and the early Scan Pulse ability relegates item collection to backtracking busywork and puzzle-solving. The limited enemy set quickly grows repetitive (palette-swapped stronger versions of early enemies in 2017?). Many items are locked behind secret game mechanics, and in this game there are no Etecoons or Dachoras to teach you the ropes.

Bosses will take several tries to beat; they aren't hard after you've learned how to fight them, but they'll kill you in just a few hits, and you need to learn how to telegraph their attacks the hard way. "Fortunately," you can look forward to fighting most of the bosses several times, so those skills you've learned won't go to waste, but these fights are long and get monotonous by the third or fourth time. There's some effort with the early Metroids, especially Beta and Gamma, to at least vary the rooms you fight them in, but the Zetas are basically all the same and the Omega battles are identical.

If you adore 2D Metroid games and eagerly snatch up anything with the name, you won't have a bad time here. If you really just want to experience a modern presentation of Metroid 2, hunt down AM2R, which is better in basically every way--better exploration, more fun (but still difficult) bosses, less repetition, even better music. Nintendo should be embarrassed that with all their resources, they couldn't do better than this.
  34. Sep 16, 2017
    I love this game, I can't believe nintendo did again in this year 2017 first Zelda botw and now this awesome game, if you give this game a 6 you have problems in your mind.
  35. Sep 16, 2017
    Nintendo nos ha dejado fascinados con este Metroid, una juego que está a la altura de la franquicia. El efecto 3D aunado al diseño de los niveles causa una inmersión total en este planeta alienígena. La banda sonora es perfecta e ideal para cada situación y ambiente, además de muchos clásicos que de seguro provocaránnostalgia a muchos. Samus vuelve a ser ella misma, una cazarrecompenzasNintendo nos ha dejado fascinados con este Metroid, una juego que está a la altura de la franquicia. El efecto 3D aunado al diseño de los niveles causa una inmersión total en este planeta alienígena. La banda sonora es perfecta e ideal para cada situación y ambiente, además de muchos clásicos que de seguro provocaránnostalgia a muchos. Samus vuelve a ser ella misma, una cazarrecompenzas valiente y la única capaz de cumplir con una misión de esta envergadura. Este juego vuelve a las raíces del género, solo puede ser descrito como puro Metroid. Nintendo demuestra que está en pleno auge con esta obra maestra, un juego único que va a encantar a todos los fans. Expand
  36. Sep 17, 2017
    Samus Returns is the long awaited return to the classic Metroid franchise us fans have been waiting so long for, and it is a highly welcomed one at that. The controls are easily manageable, the animations and gameplay are as crisp and concise as ever, and the 3D features are arguable the best ever presented on the 3DS' lifespan. Samus Returns has stunning visuals and exciting gameplay toSamus Returns is the long awaited return to the classic Metroid franchise us fans have been waiting so long for, and it is a highly welcomed one at that. The controls are easily manageable, the animations and gameplay are as crisp and concise as ever, and the 3D features are arguable the best ever presented on the 3DS' lifespan. Samus Returns has stunning visuals and exciting gameplay to bring any fan, new or old, into the fray of this amazing game. Expand
  37. Sep 17, 2017
    Finally a true Metroid game i have been waiting so long for a true Metroid game and I'M 22.2% though the game and I'M loving it meele is awesome though it's hard to find energy tanks
  38. Sep 18, 2017
    A modern masterpiece. I loved AM2R and the official 2D Metroid games, but this has easily become my favourite, with Super Metroid at a close second. This game isn't as revolutionary in its design as Super Metroid, but it improves on the formula in every way I could imagine.
    Gameplay: It's fast and fluid, with some fun new quirks. The biggest new addition being the melee counter, which I could see becoming repetitive. Just like the art style, when I started playing the game my concerns were forgotten. The melee counter is useful, but requires varying skill levels depending on the enemy you are fighting. On boss enemies you can get epic attack animations similar to the ones from Metroid: Other M, one of the few features I liked about that game.
    You also have the ability to free aim now which is a natural evolution from aiming in increments.
    Music & sound: It has an eargasmic mix of ambience and remixes of classic Metroid tracks. Some of which are my favourite versions. The sound effects are spot on too when it comes to general gameplay.
    Presentation: When I first saw Samus Returns I was concerned over the art style, due to me being used to the 2D pixelated look. All those concerns went out the window when I finally played the game. The new art style definitely helps with the presentation of the world. The stereoscopic 3D of the 3DS works great in this game, and helps the environments 'pop'.

One of my favourite games in years. The only thing I was missing was a snow area but I believe that's a lore reason with the metroids.
  39. Sep 15, 2017
    - Great enemy AI and Design
    - Great secret unlock with the Chozo memories

This game is great!
  40. Sep 18, 2017
    Jogo incrível,até agora não acredito que a Nintendo fez isso,jogabilidade precisa,e é agradável tanto para jogadores experientes quanto para novatos,além do ótimo Level Design,ótima SoundTrack e ótima história,RECOMENDO!
  41. Sep 16, 2017
    I love this game so much! The story is very entertaining and interesting. The game makes you feel very isolated, and that is what Metroid is all about. The gameplay is very unique. They added so many new abilities. Even though it is a remake, it feels like a whole new game. I easily recommend it!
  42. Sep 17, 2017
    The only thing missing from this game is a Switch port.............one can only dream, please Nintendo please. 10/10 awesome!!! ( and now we wait for Prime 4 )
  43. Sep 18, 2017
    This was a great remake of a classic title that deserves to be a pivotal part of the Metroid Universe. The game has a good degree of difficulty, the graphics are stunning and bring the planet SR388 to life, and the new mechanics from the counter attack and free aiming fit perfectly into this game. It is so nice to see Samus Aran back in action
  44. Jan 12, 2018
    My first Metroid game in.... at least five years, probably more (I think Fusion?), and I forgot what I was missing. The delight of gaining upgrades, environmental based puzzles, of unlocking sections that were previously closed off to you, just fun. I never played Metroid II, but I quite enjoyed this game (looking back at Metroid II reviews, I am VERY thankful for the QoL changes). OverallMy first Metroid game in.... at least five years, probably more (I think Fusion?), and I forgot what I was missing. The delight of gaining upgrades, environmental based puzzles, of unlocking sections that were previously closed off to you, just fun. I never played Metroid II, but I quite enjoyed this game (looking back at Metroid II reviews, I am VERY thankful for the QoL changes). Overall this is a pretty standard Metroid game setup, you land on a planet that has enemies and Metroids on it, and it's your job to clean it up. Over the game you'll gain new suits, weapons, upgrades to existing ones to allow you beat certain enemies and get through various environmental challenges. It all works out well, and you'll tear through it.

That being said, while I know they were being faithful to the original I have a few issues. There's very little real diversity in enemy types, just a half dozen or so that you'll slaughter by the thousands, and the bosses repeat. Further I'd have liked some more story than was in this game, most of it is unlocked at the very end. The bosses tend to very bullet spongy.

I'd recommend the game to any fan of platformers, but there are better platformers out there (I'm a huge fan of the Mega Man X series, Super Mario World, Super Metroidthat SNES generation was the pinnacle of the genre). Hopefully Metroid Prime 4 will introduce some more newness to the series, and I do look forward to the next 2D Metroid game which is a whole new game.
  45. Nov 7, 2017
    Game have classic for Metroid atmosphere and loneliness feel. Big highlight are intense battles with Metroids and other bosses. I really liked battle system and Samus mobility.
  46. Sep 18, 2017
    If you are a casual gamer, this game will not go over your head like Metroid Prime 2 or the original may have. Even if it's not as hard as the Gameboy version, that's only because the graphics and menu set-up makes it more convenient and enjoyable. It's so nice to see a Metroid game on the market once again. I have high hopes for Metroid Prime 4 after experiencing Samus Returns. It's anIf you are a casual gamer, this game will not go over your head like Metroid Prime 2 or the original may have. Even if it's not as hard as the Gameboy version, that's only because the graphics and menu set-up makes it more convenient and enjoyable. It's so nice to see a Metroid game on the market once again. I have high hopes for Metroid Prime 4 after experiencing Samus Returns. It's an instant classic; and one of the best hand-held remakes of all time. Expand
  47. Sep 15, 2017
    Metroid: Samus Returns is an amazing video game, and a must have for the Nintendo 3DS. It truly captures was make Metroid suck a beloved series adored by many. The game is designed extremely well, and is quite difficult for me personally but that's not a bad thing at all. This game lived up to my expectations, and I hope Nintendo continues to make more Metroid games.
  48. Sep 20, 2017
    After years of waiting, disappointment and frustration, Metroid is finally back!

A fantastic return to form for the franchise! I have to give it to Mercury Steam; I didn't think they had it in them to make this game. But boy did they prove me wrong. The little improvements that they made (such as the 360 degree free aim, teleportation stations, pulse scan, and other additions) helped to eliminate some of the tediousness from previous entries. The backgrounds are detailed, movement is snappy and responsive, boss fights are intense and challenging, and the soundtrack is a mix of old and new.

I own over 30+ games in my 3DS library, but this game is easily one of my all-time favorites. It's that good. I can't recommend it enough!
  49. Sep 18, 2017
    Great Metroid game. The combat is wonderful (though difficult but that is pretty nice in my opinion) and the graphics are pleasant (i especially like what they did with the backgrounds in some areas). Might be the longest 2D metroid to date as well. The only reason I did not give this a 10 is because on higher difficulties, you take more damage from enemies, but the enemies take the sameGreat Metroid game. The combat is wonderful (though difficult but that is pretty nice in my opinion) and the graphics are pleasant (i especially like what they did with the backgrounds in some areas). Might be the longest 2D metroid to date as well. The only reason I did not give this a 10 is because on higher difficulties, you take more damage from enemies, but the enemies take the same amount of damage regardless of difficulty. I would have preferred if enemies became harder to kill on top of the damage increase to Samus when she gets hit. The amiibo, while nice, are not necessary to complete the game (though the bonuses are decent and certainly help on higher difficulties). The Fusion Suit mode obtained via Metroid amiibo is especially nice. Though i do wish the amiibo was more readily available.

To sum it all up, wonderful game. Difficult in a good way. Plenty of replay value (working on my second playthrough now and might even do a third or 4th). If you buy this game and love it, please leave a review to show Nintendo that Metroid games are still wanted and loved dearly.
  50. Nov 15, 2018
    The game is awesome but it has some little flaws that in my eyes prevent it from being a masterpiece.
    Overall, the gameplay is great, level design is top notch, presentation is great. This is a solid entry in the Metroid series. If you want to know if you should buy this game: buy it. It's worth every cent.
    Now, the nitpicky cons: - Movement is mapped to the circle pad and while Samus

Now, the nitpicky cons:
    - Movement is mapped to the circle pad and while Samus is responsive, this can sometimes create problems, since the circle pad doesn't have the accuracy of a d-pad. The option to choose between the circle and d-pad would have been appreciated (you could always use the circle pad for the 360 aiming, even using the d-pad to move).
    - Some of the controls are on the touch screen and while this isn't a problem during most of the game, executing some of the manouvers (i.e. sometimes during the extra items hunt) can be a problem when you're required to act fast. I've died multiple times on a certain boss only because I couldn't switch my beams quick enough. I've played the game on a New 3DS XL and it doesn't even take advantage of the extra shoulder buttons.
    - The counter mechanic crushes the pace in the beginning of the game. This is certainly a design decision to make you feel stronger in the latter half (spoiler: it does), but the mechanic itself forces you to stop every movement to counter an attack (well, you can move and counter, but I don't have this kind of reflexes, since the enemies rush you the moment they see you), if you don't have a powerful enough beam to plow through any enemy. It looks cool though. Also, the mechanic never feels like a QTE (you have to actually shoot after performing the counter and you can choose your ammunition). In the end, I wouldn't remove it from the game, but I wouldn't make the enemies react so fast to your presence, rushing you the moment they see you every single time (sometimes even from off screen).
    - Gone are all the skill based moves like they were in the old 2D games. The wall-jump is a joke to pull off, there's no shinespark and bomb jumping feels much, MUCH easier too.
    - While the aeon pulse is optional, it seriously destroys any sense of discovery and a-ah moment. Sure, you could NOT use it, but I would have preferred the option to turn this particular feature off. It doesn't serve any gameplay reason and it's there only to ease your journey. Also, the aeon bar recharges way too easily and this encourages the player to spam the ability and the pulse shows way too much of the map. Bringing up AM2R (excellent fan remake of Metroid 2), in that the game signalled extremely well hidden passages and other hidden alcoves, much better than in any other 2D Metroid game, without any need for a feature like the aeon pulse. Inthis remake, without the pulse it's go bomb everything, because rarely the bombable stuff is signaled in any meaningful, unintrusive way. In short: I want Metroid to subtly catch my eye and to make me wonder if something might be behind that slightly weird block. I don't want it to go: EHY BOMB THERE YOU DUMB DUMB.
    - Stuff locked behind amiibos: most of it is totally optional, but locking the Fusion Difficulty behing a plastic, day-one DLC was a d-ick move by Nintendo.
    - Warning: serious nitpicking! The Lower Brinstar music... why? Lower Brinstar is on a whole other planet! It's fanservice and I didn't like it (the fanservice, not the music).

And that's it. Fix this stuff in the next game (because there will be another 2D Metroid game during my lifetime, right NINTENDO?!) and you'll have a masterpiece deserving a 9 or even a 10. This time, I'd give the game a 8,5, but Metacritic doesn't like half marks, so it's an 8.
  51. Sep 21, 2017
    I have always had a soft spot for Metroidvania games. I went and bought a 2ds XL to buy this amongst other gems. This title has really surpassed anything I could have imagined. It's nostalgic yet modernised in a way to never feel cumbersome. The presentation is sleek and intuitive. The music as always is my favorite thing about the game. Hats off to Nintendo on this one it is my favoriteI have always had a soft spot for Metroidvania games. I went and bought a 2ds XL to buy this amongst other gems. This title has really surpassed anything I could have imagined. It's nostalgic yet modernised in a way to never feel cumbersome. The presentation is sleek and intuitive. The music as always is my favorite thing about the game. Hats off to Nintendo on this one it is my favorite game of the year having done most my gaming on a ps4. Expand
  52. Sep 24, 2017
    I've never played the Gameboy original, so I was really looking forward to this game - and it didn't disappoint. It's easily one of the best games I've played in a long time.

Pros: - great gameplay and controls - fantastic level design - impressive visuals - creepy music and sound design - great use of the touchscreen: switching weapons/using abilities is easy and you

Pros:

- great gameplay and controls

- fantastic level design

- impressive visuals

- creepy music and sound design

- great use of the touchscreen: switching weapons/using abilities is easy and you always have a handy map

- it's quite long, it took me just under 19 hours to fully complete it

- challenging but never frustrating

- IT'S 2D METROID!

Cons:

- it ends; I wish it was much, much longer because it was so much fun

Bottom line: If you like Metroid, you will love this. If you're just looking for a good 2D platformer, this game has you covered. Either way it won't disappoint you. I normally only play my 3DS on the train, but Samus Returns was such a fantastic experience I couldn't put it down until I finished it, that's how great it is.
  53. Oct 9, 2017
    This is the ultimate and meant to be experience on a 3DS system! The gameplay is fluid and intuitive, the controls are awesome, the graphics are the best to date and the playtime is 40+ hours, without a single boring moment! Also in this game you definitely want to crank that 3D-slider to the max.!
  54. Sep 23, 2017
    Absolutely a good addition to the Metroid series. Controls are responsive, plenty of action and the power ups are fun and rewarding.

Gameplay: There is little to no handholding besides some very short description on what the power ups does and the bosses are ruthless. The free-aim worked beautifully and counter is a good addition to Samus' arsenal. 10/10 Sound: Played with

Gameplay:

Sound:
    Played with headphones, and the music is ambient and fits very well. The first time you enter a lava area and the music changes I physically jolted. Downside is that it's not all Original music, but at least some is taken from other metroid games, however that's not a big deal to me, since it's nice to hear a tune you recognize.

Story:
    Besides the opening cinematic there's little to no story in written or spoken terms, which is a good step in the right direction after the disaster that was other M's storytelling. Instead they are using the more fitting show & tell, which fits amazingly.

Graphics:
    I'm seriously surprised how well they have managed to optimize the graphics for this game. Not only is it really detailed for the 3ds, there's also a lot of details going on in the background while you're playing. I'm bringing this up because it's incredibly easy to overlook it.

Summary:
    After dusting off my old 3ds which was buried at the bottom of my dead console drawer, I'd say it's absolutely a must play for any Metroid or Metroidvaina fan.
    This is the last game I'll play on the 3ds, and I think it's a amazing last game to play as well.
  55. Sep 28, 2017
    This game is a true Metroid game. There is no other way to say it, Nintendo delivered everything and more than they said they would with this game. The controls are fluent and comfortable, the game is challenging, and the level design is brilliant. This is also the largest 2d Metroid to date taking me slightly over 18 hours to 100% the game without any walkthroughs or guides. If you are aThis game is a true Metroid game. There is no other way to say it, Nintendo delivered everything and more than they said they would with this game. The controls are fluent and comfortable, the game is challenging, and the level design is brilliant. This is also the largest 2d Metroid to date taking me slightly over 18 hours to 100% the game without any walkthroughs or guides. If you are a fan of Metroid or a 3ds owner you must buy this game. One thing to highlight is combat it's very tactile and you feel the blows dealt and received. This game is extremely reminiscent of the recent reboot of DOOM, with the amount of polish and genuine fun there is to be had with single player games that are well done. An instant classic stop reading this and go buy it already! Expand
  56. Oct 5, 2017
    A return to form for the Metroid series, and it's been a long time coming. Second only to Super Metroid, Samus Returns has the music and atmosphere to transport you inside Samus' Power Suit as she explores a detailed and expansive alien planet. This game is another must-play for the 3DS library.
  57. Jun 19, 2018
    Metroid: Samus Returns is exactly the reason why Metroid games NEED to make a comeback. It's a very fun game with the perfect balance of combat, story and exploration - not to mention perfect difficulty. Let's break it down.

A: Music/Sounds I love the music in this game! It's so nice to hear Metroid music that isn't in an older title or in the Smash Brothers series, and the music

A: Music/Sounds

I love the music in this game! It's so nice to hear Metroid music that isn't in an older title or in the Smash Brothers series, and the music fits so incredibly perfect with the atmosphere - it gives you the eerie feeling that only Metroid can achieve.

The sound effects are pretty great as well - nothing sounds too unnatural. Strangely though, I feel that a few sound effects sounded quite low quality - but maybe that's just me. Regardless, it won't take you out of the immersion.

8/10 - Amazing Metroid music and fitting sound effects. Some sounds are a little low quality though.

B: Graphics

A 2D Metroid game has never looked this good - which is understandable, since it has been many years since the last 2D Metroid game. Samus' armour looks incredible, and the aliens that you fight also look really nice on the 3DS screen.

It's a shame that I have a 2DS, because I can only imagine how epic the environments would have looked in 3D.

The only real issue with the graphics that I can think of is the slightly unusual looking suit that Samus starts off in and some types of bullets you can fire, but that's pretty much it!

9/10 - Incredible graphics for the 3DS system. Samus' starting suit and bullets look a little off, however.

C: Gameplay

Metroid: Samus Returns have made some changes which the Metroid series seriously needed. The ability to counter attacks and aim freely are very welcome changes that all 2D Metroids need to adopt from this point onwards. Aether abilities are also handy for those who want the game to be a little easier, but personally I seldom used them.

Exploration in the game is as good as it gets. Nothing like the satisfaction of successfully locating a Metroid to murder. Speaking of Metroids, a lot of the Metroid bosses in the game are very similar, and there's only a few different types you can fight - it'd be nice if they added more types, as it'd mix up your playstyle a little.

Much like the Metroids themselves, there aren't that many different types of enemies - there's mostly just different colour variations in each different area. It's not too much of a con, however unless I'm misremembering something then Metroid Fusion and even the original Metroid 2 had more enemy variations.

Despite Metroid: Samus Returns being a reimagining of the original Metroid 2, there are so many differences that it feels like a completely new experience. The biggest similarity is the overall plot of the game. If you've played the original Metroid 2, then this game is stuff worth your time.

The difficulty in this game is perfect - and I haven't even played the hardest difficulties. The late-game bosses get very difficult, which is something that is surprisingly refreshing in a Nintendo game. Especially the final Metroid boss fight - even with the Aether abilities, that took me multiple attempts. The final boss isn't too difficult, but is a very intense and fun battle.

My biggest con is that the Fusion mode is locked behind an Amiibo - that mode is definitely something I wanted to play, and it would have added many hours onto my playtime, so it's a shame I'm unable to play it because I don't own the Amiibo.

7/10 - Amazing new mechanics and perfect difficulty. Metroid bosses get repetitive, and relatively little enemy variation - can't play the fusion mode without the Amiibo!

D: Story

In most Metroid games the story isn't too important. Well, it's important, but it doesn't come up too much in the game itself. In Metroid: Samus Returns, this is still the case, but the overlying story is still pretty deep and slightly dark for a Nintendo game.

My biggest con is that it isn't really a story in and of itself, as there's a bit of an after-the-credits type scene which leads into Metroid Fusion I believe - this means that in order to get the full story you need to play multiple titles. In games like the Legend of Zelda series, the story is open and shut - it doesn't require you to purchase many titles.

Overall the story in Metroid: Samus Returns is one of the most important parts in the franchise, so I feel that it was a good touch to choose this as the game to remake for the 3DS. Personally I don't feel it lives up to the story in the Metroid Prime series, but not many games do so that isn't really a surprise.

8/10 - Good story, but not the best in the franchise. Very important part of the overall plot.

This is a really good game. I was tempted to give this a 7/10 because of the locked-off fusion mode, but I feel it's just such a good game that I've only barely bumped it up to 8/10. This makes it higher in score than my Kirby Star Allies, which was 7/10, but still lower than Super Mario Odyssey - 8/10 too

58. Sep 20, 2017
    samus has returned i've beating the game its really hard but practice and memorization is key. just like zero mission there's a lets say bonus sequence and a tease at the end. the gameplay is the best in the 2d games and its worth the $40 BEST 2D GAME BEST 3DS GAME BUY IT NOW

p.s. buy the special edition
  59. Oct 1, 2017
    Believe the hype, because Samus truly is back and boy is it a glorious return to form for the bounty hunter extraordinaire. This is easily one of the best in the series history. It's also one of, if not the most challenging but rewarding entries yet. That satisfying challenge is thankfully extended through the game’s lengthy playtime, being probably the largest Metroid game to date, atBelieve the hype, because Samus truly is back and boy is it a glorious return to form for the bounty hunter extraordinaire. This is easily one of the best in the series history. It's also one of, if not the most challenging but rewarding entries yet. That satisfying challenge is thankfully extended through the game’s lengthy playtime, being probably the largest Metroid game to date, at least from the side-scrolling installments. I didn’t want this game to end; it’s holds high replayability in my mind, as the experience is just so fun. While playing through this game, it was obvious that MercurySteam and the big N put so much love and care into this title. They really captured the feel of a Metroid game, and it shows in all facets of the experience. From the stellar score and the fresh and exciting gameplay, to the immersive and detailed organic backgrounds (with a very impressive 3D effect to top it off), the whole experience just sucks you in, keeping you mesmerized and engaged throughout; it truly feels like you're all alone on this dangerous yet engrossing alien planet. Even the way Samus animates and moves about is done with such style, finesse and polish that it’s just a delight to take control of and really helps solidify her as the badass we knew she always was. All of this coalesces to form a game that not only meets, but in my opinion, exceeds the standards set by the "Metroidvania" genre it helped create. There's a good reason why many games seek to emulate this franchise's style and gameplay, and this game is proof that the queen of them all still has what it takes to reign supreme. There's a certain something about this series 2D entries, a certain polish if you will, that lends itself well to it being the epitome of it's namesake genre. I urge anyone who has even an ounce of interest in action-adventure platformers to give this a try--you won't be disappointed. Expand
  60. Sep 19, 2017
    This game is a very well polished game but it has its flaws. As a seasoned Metroid veteran, having beaten all previous games this game completely throws away the 2d Metroid formula. It is a new fast paced action plat-former that is not for the casual gamer. Even on normal mode, the enemies hit hard, like three or four hits and you are dead, hard. The 3ds' clunky control scheme is the onlyThis game is a very well polished game but it has its flaws. As a seasoned Metroid veteran, having beaten all previous games this game completely throws away the 2d Metroid formula. It is a new fast paced action plat-former that is not for the casual gamer. Even on normal mode, the enemies hit hard, like three or four hits and you are dead, hard. The 3ds' clunky control scheme is the only thing that is wrong with this game in my opinion. However, if this is your first 2d Metroid game I highly recommend playing a game like Super or Zero-Mission first. Overall a 9/10 and can't wait for Prime 4. Expand
  61. Sep 19, 2017
    It's the most beautiful 3DS game that I've played. The environments, the 3D, they were spectacular. It was 2D, but I found myself so many times wanting to turn the camera to see what was around the bend, because the depth of the environments was so amazing. There's always so much happening in the background, and the way they utilized it throughout the game was wonderful.

I had tears in

I had tears in my eyes when I turned the game on. I sat there on the title screen for possibly 5 minutes just listening to the music. While there weren't as many melodies in the game as I would've liked, all them, old and new, never got tiresome for me.

Backtracking in this game is not nearly as required as it is in other Metroid games. Those unfamiliar with Metroid II, the point is to hunt down and kill all the metroids on SR388, and the more metroids you kill, the more of the planet becomes available to you. There is backtracking within each area individually as you find upgrades to help you hunt down all the Metroids in that area, but once you move onward, you rarely *have* to go back. I was okay with this. The game is enormous, and has a nice teleport feature to help with fast travel. Despite not having to backtrack to previous areas, I never felt like I wasn't exploring, which is one of the key elements of a Metroid game. All in all, my playthrough was close to 12 hours.

While I would've hoped for more enemy and boss variation, I was never bored by combat, and some of the larger fights are *truly* heart pounding. And the melee counter...oh my god the melee counter. Where has this been all my life? I don't think they can make another game without including it. It feels so smooth, and adds such a great layer of fighting to the game. When you approach enemies, unlike other Metroid or platformers, they will CHARGE YOU. It's not like a goomba or koopa just walking around that you have to jump on to get by, they will rush straight at you. Because of that, maneuvering around spaces actually requires a lot more thought and planning than just blasting your way through the game. If you try to run through a room blasting away carelessly, you *will* die. I would've loved more melee counter moves that Samus could learn, but maybe next game!
    Speaking of movement, Samus moves so seamlessly in this game. She controls so well, from jumping, wall jumping, rolling, grabbing ledges...and the free aim. Another feature that they can never remove, being able to stand in place and have a complete 360 range to shoot instead of 8 angles only is clutch.

This game is also hard. That's one of my favorite parts about it as a Metroid title. I've never died more times in a Metroid game than I have in this one. I often get frustrated with Nintendo games because their bosses tend to be breezes compared to the rest of the game. Mario and Zelda fall victim to this as well. Mario is an amazing platformer and Zelda is a wonderful adventure game, and that's where they shine...the bosses are always wonderfully designed, but they tend to be easy. Previous Metroids were also like that. But I felt the bosses in this game were the perfect amount of hard...enough to frustrate me into wanting to kick their ass more and more every time I died, but not enough to make me want to rage quit or feel like they're unfair.

For those that love the Metroid lore, Samus Returns does what I think Metroid does best, which is telling a story with no words. My largest complaints with the Prime games and with Fusion was how much text I had to read, particularly in Fusion. Samus Returns opens with one or two artful stills, and a couple sentences explaining what she's up to, and the rest of the game uses visuals to tell the story. My gameplay was never once interrupted by a block of text telling me what's happening next. All cut scenes are completely visual. For those who have played the original Metroid II, this is going to feel like a completely new game and you will be also be rewarded with some surprises. For anyone who has never played Metroid II, or even a Metroid game, this is actually a really easy entry point into the series' lore, which was extremely smart on Nintendo's part. This doesn't just feel like a new Metroid game, this feels like Nintendo trying to make people who have never played the series feel welcome and fall in love with it.

I can hands down say that this is my second favorite game of 2017, second only to Breath of the Wild. I'm obviously biased because I love Metroid, but it truly is an amazing game, and I hope they eventually port it to the Switch so that market can play it.

Congratulations Nintendo, and thank you. You did it. You made a brilliant Metroid game and made Samus as badass as she deserves to be once more. I have full faith that this will breathe life back into the series and help keep the franchise in its rightful place among Nintendo's upper echelon of greats, alongside Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon.
  62. Oct 5, 2017
    I'm going against the grain saying I like this game more than Super Metroid. This is high-octane fun from start to finish. The world is beautifully rendered and cleverly designed. The designers did a great job recreating the "feel" of Metroid 2's caverns without simply giving them a graphical update. Huge vaulting caverns really make it fun to explore with the game's signature Spider BallI'm going against the grain saying I like this game more than Super Metroid. This is high-octane fun from start to finish. The world is beautifully rendered and cleverly designed. The designers did a great job recreating the "feel" of Metroid 2's caverns without simply giving them a graphical update. Huge vaulting caverns really make it fun to explore with the game's signature Spider Ball upgrade. The combat is the next step in the evolution of 2D-Metroid combat. It's fresh, fast, and balanced. Standard enemies are easy, but dangerous in numbers, same as past Metroid games. The difficulty of the Metroid fights is perfectly paced. Once you've pretty much mastered fighting one form of Metroid (or acquired enough power ups that they become easy), the game bumps you up to the next form of Metroid and the game gets harder. The non-Metroid bosses are all protracted multi-stage fights with challenging mechanics. The scan pulse makes it easy to find items, but doesn't tell you *how* to get them. Some require sharp wit and quick fingers. These in particular are immensely satisfying to pull off and acquire. The rewards for 100% completion or for beating a time limit make the journey worthwhile. This is my new favorite Metroid title, hands-down. Expand
  63. Oct 27, 2017
    Después de haber acabado el titulo al 100% y en todas sus dificultades, debo decir que estamos ante un titulo imprescindible en la colección de todo poseedor de un 3DS, un regreso a la esencia mas pura de un Metroid y del genero Metroidvania, en sus dificultades altas presenta muy buen reto y su duración es muy buena.

¡¡¡BRUTAL!!! Gráficamente lleva a las capacidades técnicas de un

¡¡¡BRUTAL!!!
    Gráficamente lleva a las capacidades técnicas de un 3DS a lo más alto a lo más alto, entornos llenos de vida sumamente detallados cuidadosamente orquestados con una gama de colores y de profundidad soberbia.
    El mejor efecto 3D paralax logrado en esta consola.
    Los entornos están llenos de vida muy coloridos y extraordinariamente bien logrados.

La música al contrario de lo que otras personas Pueden decir es excelente, con una selección dt más icónicos de la franquicia terminan por complementar extremadamente bien a los escenarios, la atmósfera de Soledad e incertidumbre se logra magistralmente, llegando a provocar en el jugador tensión, miedo e incluso ansiedad.
    Tonos más movidos y música más frenética también están presentes en los combates contra los jefes que simplemente te dejarán exhausto.

Los controles y el Gameplay son muy fluidos y amigables con las manos del jugador, Aunque la distribución de los botones a cambiado con respecto a anteriores entregas sigue mostrando esa delicada armonía.

Contamos con que este título es una re imaginación del original metroid 2 para Game Boy Así que la mayoría de los enemigos serán los propios metroid. Aunque contaremos con algunos otros enemigos y jefes que no son metroid, estos en particular teniendo una muy buena y elevada dificultad.

Se recomienda a los jugadores veteranos de esta franquicia disfrutar el título en su modalidad fusión ya que la dificultad Se dispara y hace realmente un desafío terminar este juego al 100%..

Estamos ante el regreso de una de las franquicias más amadas por los jugadores valiendo la pena todo el tiempo que hemos esperado para tener en nuestras manos un título de semejante calidad.

Nuevamente y para terminar esta reseña reafirmó que aunque no seas fan de la saga y sea la primera vez que juegas a un juego de metroid este juego Es realmente disfrutable y accesible para todos los jugadores nuevos y veteranos nuevamente un 10/10
  64. Oct 31, 2017
    Finally, an actual Metroid game! Well I should start by reviewing the most important part, the gameplay. I thought the counter mechanic was going to completely ruin the gameplay by being overpowered, but I was wrong and it was like a regular weapon you use once in a while. The movement feels tight but not restrictive and the aeon abilities were a nice inclusion but felt a tiny bit tooFinally, an actual Metroid game! Well I should start by reviewing the most important part, the gameplay. I thought the counter mechanic was going to completely ruin the gameplay by being overpowered, but I was wrong and it was like a regular weapon you use once in a while. The movement feels tight but not restrictive and the aeon abilities were a nice inclusion but felt a tiny bit too strong. The soundtrack and graphics really gave you the feeling that you were in a planet at the edge of the universe. This really felt like a game that was focused on the gameplay, none of that deep story stuff or crazy graphics that companies really try to shill. Overall it's a fantastic game you can pick up whenever you want and really immerse yourself in. I recommend wearing headphones when playing this to really experience journey. Expand
  65. Sep 20, 2018
    After a whole year, what do I think of this game. The best in the 2D series yet.

Honestly, in terms of pure mechanics I think Samus Returns triumphs over them all, with more complexity than the regular 2D games, but not as dynamic as Prime. Samus Returns has that well balanced middle ground in terms of variety. But where the mechanics really shine is the combat. This is the best Metroid game in terms of combat, with the movement system being just quick enough to compliment the shooting. Alongside the 360 aiming and melee counter (though the latter is used a little more than it should be) the combat is the current height of the Metroid franchise.

The exploration is good, but not as good as it should be. This simply comes down to the upgrades. Finding them isn't as satisfying as it should be, there's no real "aha!" moment in the game (though that could be just me, I have played this game about 16 times). I don't think the scan visor is a bad thing, it helps other players get into the series. Metroid is a tough series to get into, the gameplay can be cryptic, but nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be, and the combat can be lacking.

The boss battles are also very good. They are well made and a large improvement over the originals, however there are only 2 new bosses in this game, and it really could've worked with even more. But those few bosses are great, with them having dynamic attacks and also have great themes. Which reminds me.

The soundtrack is absolutely godly. It takes a lot of existing tracks and gives them a more advanced feeling to them, such as the Diggernaut theme being a remix of the first boss of Metroid Prime 3. It's very atmospheric. However the track that plays near the end of the game while you're making your way back to the surface does miss the point.

One final nitpick I have is that you have to wait until the end of the game to be able to collect every upgrade. If you've been back tracking a lot to get more of them along the journey, this does mean there will be some upgrades scattered around the various areas.

Overall, a fantastic Metroid game, and really does push the 2D series into a new form. If they make a Super Metroid remake or a Metroid 5, I would be very happy if the game turns out to be like this one. I recommend it to anyone who likes Fusion and or Metroid Prime 2.
  66. Oct 1, 2018
    The game has got many, many flaws, but as I was getting deeper and deeper into SR388's caves i found myself loving it more and more. The most glaring issue is the linearity, which is admittedly not as bad as it could be, since the players have the illusion of dealing with the metroids in whichever order within the area they currently are in. The game takes the player on a rollercoasterThe game has got many, many flaws, but as I was getting deeper and deeper into SR388's caves i found myself loving it more and more. The most glaring issue is the linearity, which is admittedly not as bad as it could be, since the players have the illusion of dealing with the metroids in whichever order within the area they currently are in. The game takes the player on a rollercoaster ride with faux set pieces which kinda detracts from the experience. Another thing that I didn't really like is the lack of memorable stuff. Don't get me wrong, the "real" bosses are great, but a lot of earlier encounters kinda blend together. There aren't also many memorable places on the map, like some rooms in Prime or Fusion that you would know by heart even after one playthrough (Phendrana Shorelines, Hall of the Elders). The music also sucks - I get the ambience is essential for the atmosphere, but again, Prime and Fusion tackled that much better. The few real tracks that are there - remixes of Lower Brinstar, Lower Norfair and the new Chozo Research Laboratory only accentuate this, as they seem really out of place. There is also a problem with the enemy variety - you get like half a dozen regular enemies and their recolours. It is also not a Metroid games for the first-timers to the series - you have to know a lot of series' tropes, like which coloured doors correspond to which weapons or bombing all suspicious terrain. The ending also kinda undermines Super Metroid, but literally gets your blood pumping.
    There are a lot more good parts, though - the exploration is better than ever, the progression is really cool with Samus in the endgame feeling like a badass, ripping and tearing through foes that gave you trouble a few hours earlier. The new abilities, maybe other than the gatling gun are really welcome, and the Scan Pulse arguably is the thing that the series needed for some time now. Later metroid encounters and the three real bosses are really great (Diggernaught being a Quadraxis-lite). The new mechanics, namely the 360 aiming and melee counters sound like they wouldn't work but they are really great and fit organically in the game. It's also unexpectedly hard.
    And it really gets better and better the more you play.
  67. Oct 21, 2017
    Warning, this game suffers from poor controls and often unfair gameplay. Blind drops into pits of acid or lava, or just bumping against enemies or being hit by them when entering a room without having a moment to counter or avoid.

Often the controls are frankly unwieldy, forcing you to have precise aim whilst using the grappling beam to swing from point to point over a pool of lava that does insane damage. In this scenario even the exact order of aim and button presses needs to be precise or you'll wind up doing something totally different from what you intended. Control direction that is inversed sometimes from what you would expect when using spider ball. Juggling to switch between aion powers with the dpad whilst holding the shoulder buttons and circle pad to aim whilst pressing face buttons to fire, it can be a bit too much. And quite frankly it brings back really bad memories from bad control schemes back in the nes & snes era.

Add to that that the environment is extremely repetitive and boring, with no story and world building at all. And the most annoying part that the environment is built like a maze to be extremely obtuse to traverse, which is only made slightly easier down the line when extra abilities are unlocked. But unlike prime, where your abilities are keys to doors, here your abilities from even late game are needed for normal traversal in all areas. So be prepared to take that detour in a stupid morph ball maze for the first 6 hours of the game until you finally get the ability you need to just open the door to bypass that horrible experience. Prime games never ever used ability unlocks in that way, because that is very poor gameplay design.

I will also challenge you to tell me the difference between each colour block you can blast or each door icon on your minimap. It's impossible. They are extremely non descript. Again, prime was simple in this regard, each color door corresponds to each beam type using the same color. Color association. It works. Here in Samus returns they chose to throw that out of the window. I'm also baffled by why every blastable bit or crack is hidden with little or even no sign that it is there. It's integral to actually playing the game. If it weren't for the scan pulse, you would be blasting and bombing every cell of the level to find where the exit of a room is. Yet again what's wrong with showing cracked walls ? Zelda does it, metroid prime does it. Seems like great game design. Yet Samus returns ignores that too.

In the grand scheme of things these are annoyances that can be largely overcome or ignored, but there is one point in the game where all these bits come together in a glorious cocktail of infuriating madness. It's like it is specifically designed to test your determination to actually finish this game. All the bad parts meld together, punishing difficulty, controls that never seem to do exactly what you want. Unfair blind drops. Level design that is a horrible maze mess and annoying to traverse. It all comes together in this part where you'll genuinely question wether this is worth the effort.

I also take issue with the worldbuilding and environment. It is extremely repetitive, as are the boss fights and all enemies for that matter. There is no logic at all to the setting of the environment. Gone are the regions of prime. With ruins, ice temples, crash sites, underwater areas, etc. Each area having defense areas, installations, power facilities, laboratories with a logical reason for it being there. In Samus returns it's just level arenas dressed up to resemble a jungle theme, ruins theme, lava theme. But with none of the intricate detail and worldbuilding, backstory and logic. Just some generic hallways in maze form to connect it all. It's a gigantic step down from prime in this regard.

I'm terribly afraid of what this means for prime 4 if retro is not at the helm and Samus returns is heralded as being one of the best metroid games in years. To me this is metroid watered down. It's not a terrible game but there are things in there that I deem unacceptable. If the gameplay wasn't borked it would have received a 7.
  68. Sep 23, 2017
    30 years I’ve been playing Metroid games, and Samus Returns is The most Fun I have had Playing a 2D Metroid ever!
    The new game machanics and map layout make this one of the most fun , challenging and also accessible Metroid games ever.
    I love it!
  69. Sep 21, 2017
    While I liked Federation Force, and the fact that it brought Metroid back, this game truly deserves the name "Return", as it is a return to form for Samus, the series as a whole and of the Yoshio Sakamoto, showing he does still have what it takes to make a fantastic game. Here's hoping Prime 4 is just as good.
  70. Sep 22, 2017
    Simply the best 2D Metroid. While it will not receive the adoration it rightly deserves due to biases -
    metroid old-timers, its console, etc. this is surely a 10/10. Game of the year contender in the best year ever in video games (2017)
  71. Sep 25, 2017
    If you are looking for a good game for the 3DS this is the one, level design, difficulty, bosses, OST and easter eggs, this is how a remake must be, MASTEPIECE 10/10
  72. Oct 22, 2017
    Although I miss seeing a metriod metroidvania game I come to find indie developers did the genre better. For on the game is way to linear, all the enemies feel the same, they all charge at you, the controls are awful especially later on in the game, and finally all the bosses are dodge and QTE. After my journey was done, I felt nothing, to me this is an average game and I will be waitingAlthough I miss seeing a metriod metroidvania game I come to find indie developers did the genre better. For on the game is way to linear, all the enemies feel the same, they all charge at you, the controls are awful especially later on in the game, and finally all the bosses are dodge and QTE. After my journey was done, I felt nothing, to me this is an average game and I will be waiting for Ori and the blind forest. Expand
  73. Sep 15, 2017
    So i played the game and i already have some bad things i rly dont see anybody mention at all,
    the controlls might be okay for some, but they are rly nothing for me, the free aim feels clunky to me, and the fact that i have to stop, and aim instead of runing and shooting things that are in front of me, srsly, and if somebody says to me you can by using the move button, ... thats not helping me. am2r might not have the flashy grafics, but there i could change everything to my liking. why is this still a problem... i would like free aiming somewhere where i can use it at my choosing,
    next, the aion abilitys, they are okay, but again, because i cant swap buttons, i used them when i didnt want to, all the time. i play other games, and that rapidly changing, so i play destiny2, while waiting there i play metroid, when im not doing that i play other games, and this just turns me down so much...
    the next negative thing is this forced overuse of the counter, the dumb ass counter, every thing jumps at me and forces me to stop, taking the flow of the game out, all the time, i cant move fluidly in the game, because the game wants me to stop, and use the friking free aim, or the counter, both of which i dont like,, at all. if i could change controlls, i would banish both ( maybe not entirely) on buttons i dont press, aion abilitys are a cool idea, and a counter to frustration, even if i am rly not fond of the timestop, just because it replaces the speed booster, which i hope is in the next one, if there is one. also why do i need to keep pressing the spiderball to have it active? that hurt my hands, am2r did it so mcuh better,one press, you are ready to go, another you are free, easy.
    and at last
    this game basicly takes speedrunning, ( the thing that kept metroid alive for all its livetime, and killed it, why return those little rly rly hard to lern things that make the game so interesting.. i dont understand, AT ALL why they wont acknollege speedrunning, and the things tha make it so awesome, the pure skill a player can show of to make amazing plays. gone, all gone.
    and it breaks my heart to see that nintendo and those new developers dont understand what kept metroid alive. truly saddening

okay that was my bit of bad, the good of the game, is the rest of the game, i rly liked the game in general, everything from sounds to animations ( maybe not samus thin ass armor, it could look a bit more robust)
    the sounds and animations from the morphball, or the spiderball rly are something you dont expect, but you welcome them,
    the game feels like a 2d prime game, excellent,
    the 3d is amazing, ( sadly my 3ds s 3d sucks so much that i cant use it, but i saw and played it a bit in 3d and saw it on new 3ds, its good)
    the game is hard as nails, and has even some respawn points, which help you to not feel crushed or annyoed after you died, so you dont need to walk all the way back, or defeat another gauntlet of bosses and enemys,

so all in all, the game is good, the controlls and the lacking option to change those ruined the experience to some degree, the forced counter and free aim did even more damage, and now i am already at a 7 out of 10, sad but i think its justified.

things todo better next time,
    let me change controlls,
    dont make me break the gameflow to the counter and you must stand still to aim crap, and you get a 9-10 depending if there are any other bad things, ( dont think it so far)

if you say you dont care about controlls and stuff, then this might be a 8-9 out of 10 for you.

for now, i did enjoy am2r a little better, but thats only due to the free controlls, and jesus the option to not play it on the tiny 3ds, but that. a controller would do wonders
  74. Sep 30, 2017
    Basically the game is really good. Graphics and sound are nice, the game is motivating and enjoyable. The overall difficulty is really challenging. Casual players probably will have a hard time now and then. Which leads me to the reason, why I do rate the game only with a score of 4. As aforementioned the game is, in my opinion, really tough to beat. That would be ok, but there are severalBasically the game is really good. Graphics and sound are nice, the game is motivating and enjoyable. The overall difficulty is really challenging. Casual players probably will have a hard time now and then. Which leads me to the reason, why I do rate the game only with a score of 4. As aforementioned the game is, in my opinion, really tough to beat. That would be ok, but there are several situations in the game, where the difficulty totally skyrockets through the roof. Close to the end is a stage boss, which is extremely hard to defeat. The fight is a sheer torment, which will make your blood boil. And soon after comes the final boss, which is an even bigger pain in the ass. I never had less fun (or was suffering more) while playing a videogame than while this fight (on which I just gave up after dozens of futile attempts). I don't know which audience Nintendo was targeting, but this game is definitely nou suited for casual players. I'd only recommend it for Metroidvania-experts and masochists. That's a pity, because apart from the game is really great. Expand
  75. Sep 15, 2017
    No doubt a decent attempt at bringing back a franchise from near death, but I feel it's super overrated. People who claim to be "Metroid Veterans" or something of the sort seem to be suffering from memory loss as this game has some major flaws and tiny issues that snowball effect, hard.

Lets get down to it, but first some praise. The visuals despite some areas look like they're smeared in Vaseline are good for 3DS standards, my only issue being the previously stated Vaseline effect and the terrible visual distinction of missile and plasma shot. The music is also very well done while a bit shaky in tone the pieces hold on their own. The explore-able environments are well just that but at times lack proper visual direction.

On to the nitty gritty, the controls. They are ABSOLUTELY ATROCIOUS sorry I had to emphasize how bad they are. Let me give you some context, on a 3DS what is the fastest face button you can push if you naturally rest your thumb close to the hinge. If you guessed A or X you are correct, this game how ever is designed so the jump and shoot are B and Y. I know, and your next line will be if you don't own the game "but it can't be that bad, you could possibly remap them right?".... NOPE you're forced to use this control scheme. Oh and did I mention that quick morph ball isn't a button... you have to touch the touch screen to enter morph ball mode quickly, WHY?????????? That's really bad especially since you might want to use the spider-ball to get around a lot. Oh don't even get me started on 'Free-Aim', so let me get this straight I'm forced to stop all forward motion to shoot an enemy in the air, this would've been fine if we had the option of ye-olde Aim-Lock but NOPE. Speaking of stopping all forward motion, X button is the 'Melee attack' and this game over uses and makes it absolutely mandatory if you want to clear a room of enemies in a timely manner. Which means waiting for them to attack and cause a flashy white animation, thwacking them with the Melee attack, then killing them in less than 17 billion shots if you were not to do so. The Aeon abilities are Ok but really they take precedent over a movement option as a face button being that it's using A. Also wall jumping sucks, not much say there that's kind of the trend with Yoshio Sakamoto (The master of under powering Samus).

The game all and all is functional and decent if you lower your brains skepticism sensors down.

TL;DR
    Overrated extremely flawed game that is by no means bad but could be WAAAAY BETTER.
  76. Sep 26, 2017
    Amazing game. I love the animations. I hope that Mercury Steam stay with Nintendo doing more games. Thanks for this great game. This is really the return of Samus
  77. Sep 28, 2017
    A masterpiece this game feels like Metroid Prime 2 in 2d.
    A masterpiece this game feels like Metroid Prime 2 in 2d.
    Metroid: Samus Returns is a re-imagining of Metroid II: Return of Samus, and it is fantastic in every sense of the word. This game is very difficult and this is a welcome touch since challenge is something many games these days lack. The way the games difficulty, progression, teleport stations, and toned down backtracking tie into each other is almost the same as Prime 2 which I find to be an underrated Metroid title, imo best in the prime series. There are also plenty of creative puzzles and uses for all items you collect and just like in Prime 2 you will be using your entire arsenal at times to over come challenges. This leads me to speak on the difficulty, because of the increase in this the game now has a checkpoint system which is nice and only activates if you die meaning save points are still crucial in keeping your progress keeping the Metroid spirit intact. The combat is also incredibly fun and keeps you hooked. In short this game is a must play for Metroid fans and an awesome introduction for newcomers.
  78. Feb 8, 2021
    linear design and a mediocre game, AM2R was way better and was done with 1/128 of the money used for this one. Why go 3d when you can make a true gem with 2d graphics?
  79. Sep 25, 2017
    Some serious bullcrap here in the dlc department. You need 4 amiibos to unlock everything... For those who like to 100% games... And there are a lot of us who are like that... This is a real bummer. Whatever happened to goodies like this being hidden in the game for devoted players to unlock through skill and determination? Now you just throw real life money down without lifting any inSome serious bullcrap here in the dlc department. You need 4 amiibos to unlock everything... For those who like to 100% games... And there are a lot of us who are like that... This is a real bummer. Whatever happened to goodies like this being hidden in the game for devoted players to unlock through skill and determination? Now you just throw real life money down without lifting any in game fingers to get it done? LAME!

40$ game right? If you're lucky you will still be spending slightly more money on those 4 amiibos compared to the actual price of the freakin game. Odds are you wont get that lucky and you will be spending close to 50 bucks to 100 bucks depending on simply just how lucky you are... Considering that amiibos can be hard to find and rare things often have bullcrap high prices for what they are...

There's my proof in case any nintendo hard on **** suckers want to deny actual FACTS...

I'm deducting 2 points right off the bat because this is str8 up horse ****... I would be deducting way freaking more if it was on the level of destiny 2 pay to win micro transactions or some crap which can cost players over thousands of dollars but since that's not the case... I'm only deducting 2 points instead of like 5 lol.

Some bad controls in some parts and a ability that reveals secrets to the player really hurts this game. Minus another point... No game is perfect and this definitely keeps the game from any where close to perfection so there goes another point.

AM2R is free and craps on this game in terms of being a true metroid experience and not screwing you over on the price... so I'm sorry folks... This isn't nintendo bringing metroid back even if it is a massive step up from FF and Other M which I would give about a 2 or 3 out of 10 haha. That being said though... It's not good enough... I would totally recommend the game but I can't defend the corporate cash in business practices. That sort of thing ruins video games. This could have been great but sadly it's in the realm of meh...... Maybe slightly higher than meh lol. But that's it... Wait for a price drop folks and I hope you can bum the amiibos off a friend who was stupid enough to waste a ton of money on products that are not worth their apparently stupid high price tag. That way the full game would actually be worth it's price if you're lucky...

7 out of 10... Minus 2 points for bullcrap business practices that spin in the face of the customer. And minus 1 point because well... No game is perfect and there is always a flaw... Sucks... I wanted to give this a 9 but I can't because of the shady business practices. If it weren't for that it would totally be a 9. Greedy nintendo at it again folks...
  80. Sep 22, 2017
    The least enjoyable Metroid game I've played so far, and I'm still giving a respectable 7, which shows how strong this serie is.

I may be the only one on Earth who actually prefers the original Metroid 2 than this remake. Metroid 2 was amazing, the best Game Boy game ever IMO. The music, especially, was really unique, creepy and memorable. They throw that all away in this remake, the music is rather dull. They even brought on the Norfair music in high-heat areas, which is a really bad idea.

Don't get me wrong, the game is still fun, especially once you get the Screw Attack, but it really feels like a blend of any other 2D Metroid game. It doesn't had anything relevant to the serie at all. Remember the WOW moments you had when you first entered the Wrecked ship Area in Super Metroid ? Or the first time you battled the huge plant-like Boss in Metroid Prime ? You won't get any moments like that in Samus Returns., sadly.

The mechanics are great, the pace is fast, the overall game is good...but it's also incredibly generic and kinda soulless. Once you've done with it, you probably won't remember anything from it. Now be prepared to find my review "unhelpful", cause I'm gonna say it : The truth is I enjoyed Federation Force a lot, really lot more than Samus Returns.
  81. Dec 23, 2020
    This is a horrible excuse for a Metroid game and I don't understand why people like it so much. It looks pretty, but it plays horribly. I absolutely hated it from about 10 minutes into it, till the time I took it out of my 3DS a few hours later. I only made it to the third area, and found the difficulty of the game to be purely masochistic. It doesn't feel like a proper 2D Metroid game.This is a horrible excuse for a Metroid game and I don't understand why people like it so much. It looks pretty, but it plays horribly. I absolutely hated it from about 10 minutes into it, till the time I took it out of my 3DS a few hours later. I only made it to the third area, and found the difficulty of the game to be purely masochistic. It doesn't feel like a proper 2D Metroid game. The game is actually WORSE than the original Game Boy game they tried to remake.

Things I liked:
    -Graphics. The game does look pretty.
    -Sound. The game does sound pretty.

Things I hated:
    -Melee Counter: does not belong in a Metroid game. Whoever greenlighted this idea needs fired.
    -Aeion abilites: These comes off as more annoying than useful to me. Especially when you get to the third area that many monsters require the use of the rapid fire one. Oh yeah, it drains the aeion gauge in seconds. Garbage.
    -Level design: I expect a decent amount of mazes in a metroid game, but when EVERYTHING is a maze, it's not fun. It's way more complicated than the original for no reason whatsoever.
    -Overaggresive enemies: Pretty self explanatory. Enemies are overly aggressive for no reason, other than to shoe-horn in the previously mentioned garbage melee counter system.
    -Difficulty level: I can enjoy a hard game, but this goes way past hard into pure masochistic territory on the NORMAL DIFFICULTY. I'm a fairly seasoned Metroid player. I've beaten Super Metroid, Fusion, and Zero Mission multiple times, and the game boy game this was based on. This game gets the balance way too screwed up. Normal monsters do 1/3rd an energy tank of damage per hit AFTER THE VARIA SUIT. Metroids can take a whole tank at once. It's not fun, it's unfair and makes this game frustrating.

TL;DR: Metroid Samus Returns is a game that looks pretty on the surface, and people raved over it because they thought it was a "return to form", but when you actually play it, the game is frustrating and a massive disappointment. Both the original and the fan remake AM2R(A PROPERLY REMADE METROID GAME THAT PLAYS LIKE A METROID GAME!) are infinitely better games than this officially released turd.
  82. Sep 22, 2017
    Presentation:

The music is unmemorable, meaning I don't remember any of it. However, I do remember what I felt during playing. The music does a nice job of setting a tone and atmosphere. Each track fits its environment well, and drops out when it needs to. It does its job, even if I don't find myself humming the tracks during everyday life. The same can't really be said of the
    Presentation:

The same can't really be said of the sound effects. They feel flimsy, like nothing I'm doing onscreen has any real punch to it.

As for the graphics, I hated the way this game looks. The graphics themselves aren't bad, they just look generic. Samus Returns doesn't do much to set itself apart from other sci-fi games. Other than the the things that are distinctly Metroid, such as Samus and the Metroids themselves, nothing really sticks out except for one or two areas. This is especially saddening when previous Metroid games had such distinctive visual styles. I question why they chose this watered-down 3D style. Games like Shovel Knight and Sonic Mania have proven that the old school graphics still look appealing, and good sprite art is ageless. This generic visual style is most evident in the UI. Navy blue background with glowing sky blue outlines? What is this, Halo? Gimme a break.

Gameplay:

Let's start with the positives. I was surprised how well this game handles movement. Generally I like to play 2D games with a D-pad, and while i wish that was still an option, the circle pad works just fine. Having the map, ammo count, ect. on the bottom screen is also really nice. It saves you the trouble of having to pull up a map screen every few rooms. It honestly makes me question why we never got a Metroid on the DS family earlier. What I don't like, however, is the combat. The melee counter isn't as gimmicky as I was worried it was going to be, but I'm still not a fan. It takes the flow out of combat. Every encounter ends up waiting for them to charge, countering, and mashing shoot until they die. It's not something you can just "not use" either. Enemies now do so much damage and move so quickly that dodging is more of a hassle than its worth, and this game can be very stingy with health drops. Free aim also contributes to this problem. No longer can you just run and gun. You have to stop, line up your shot, then shoot. It slows the game down so much. The older system worked fine. These "improvements' are unnecessary.

Level design is alright, but some of the enemy placement is questionable. I can't count how many times I tried to pull myself up onto a ledge, only to be ambushed and knocked down by an enemy I couldn't see or hit. There were also several times I ran through a door straight into a hazard. That damage is not my fault. That is not good level design.

I also must question the way upgrades were handled in Samus Returns. When I got the ice beam, I was surprised to see that it didn't stack onto my power beam. I know that beams don't stack on each other in the original, but they did upgrade the power beam. I assumed that they just made the power beam a separate beam altogether, a la Prime, but then the wave beam did stack on top of it, and the spazer on top of that. Why? if you were going to have all but one beam upgrade stack, why not all of them? It makes the ice beam only useful against Metroids and the few times you have to jump on frozen enemies, which by the way don't stay frozen near long enough.

But the worst thing in this game is the teleport points. This goes against the very design philosophy of a Metroid game. Backtracking was an intentional design choice in previous games. It highlights how powerful you become since the beginning of the game. Rooms that used to take 3 minutes to get through now only take 1. It reinforces a sense of progress. Samus returns throws that out the window. The worst part is that the map design is so terrible that it makes these teleportation points necessary. It's way to big and way to open. Making it more compact and concise would solve both problems. It's worth mentioning that AM2R had something similar in it's transport pipes. But you only found that place late in the game, and it was well integrated into the world as a water treatment plant. It made it feel like you were using the environment to your advantage. Samus Returns' system is much too obvious and pandering.

In conclusion, this game is a solid replacement for the original Metroid 2, but it's nowhere near the level of quality that Super, Zero Mission, and Fusion are. It goes through the motions of these other games, but fails to grasp why they worked so well in the first place. It's as if the devs played through Super, but didn't analyze it at all. The additions made hurt the core design, and clearly the devs forgot the old adage: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Go play AM2R instead. That game outclasses Samus Returns in every way.
  83. Sep 21, 2017
    Meh.

Why doesn't the ice beam kill anything without so many shots that I get carpal tunnel? That's really annoying. What if I don't want to melee it or use a missle? Also, the 3d aspect is completely wasted, it's a 2d game. It looks kind of blocky and bad because they didn't just go with good 2d graphics. Honestly, I think the graphics on SNES looked better than this. The music
    Meh.

The music isn't atmospheric (or even hardly noticeable at all, really since all you hear is PEW PEW PEW), and the areas don't have names. Oh wait, there's "Area 1" and "Area 2", etc. The game isn't really atmospheric at all, which is arguably a huge part of the Samus niche.

It's also rather linear, forcing you to kill certain Metroids before moving on to the next area.

I wish I could zoom out a little bit, and the controls feel a bit clunky, especially aiming. I'm not a fan of the forced melee mechanic, either. Killing metroids would take 10 times longer without using it.

The game really needs difficulty levels, probably at least 3. An easy one for kids/casual/distracted gamers, a normal one for most people, and a hard for future runs. Why limit the difficulty so much? My niece should be able to play this on easy.

Finally, all the Metroid fights get tedious, they're so similar it's not even funny.

It just feels like they had a low budget.
  84. Sep 15, 2017
    AM2R is much better and Nintendo completely wasted their time on this project.

AM2R is much better and Nintendo completely wasted their time on this project.

While Samus Returns is more flashy and follows the same Metroid formula you'd expect from a remake, it really doesn't rise above just that - it's exactly what you'd expect. Sorry Nintendo, I just played a Metroid 2 remake made by one person and it surpasses your in-house studio effort. Maybe you can come up with something original next time that might be worth playing.

In the meantime, I'll be waiting for Metroid Prime 4, which should have been announced back in 2012 and released already. But, game developers are lazier than ever these days. At least we got some footage at Nintendo's latest 9/13 direct... oh wait... at least we got Melee HD... nope, wrong again... oh, we got 20 minutes of Xenoblade Chronicles 2, a game no one cares about because it belongs on PC so that graphics don't look like they're from 1999.

But I digress - this remake was poorly timed and utterly disappointing. Do not buy.
  85. Sep 20, 2017
    Made it to the 3rd section of the game so far. And I'm still fighting the same handful of enemy types that were in the first 2 sections: the frog things, the charging purple flying things, and spiky turtle things, etc. Where is the variety? Every other game in the series has enemies change when you take the elevator to a new area. Speaking of enemies, they respawn way too fast. I'll beMade it to the 3rd section of the game so far. And I'm still fighting the same handful of enemy types that were in the first 2 sections: the frog things, the charging purple flying things, and spiky turtle things, etc. Where is the variety? Every other game in the series has enemies change when you take the elevator to a new area. Speaking of enemies, they respawn way too fast. I'll be exploring a room, hit a dead end, then start to backtrack, and all the enemies I killed are already back, even though I never even left the room. Also the difficulty is way higher than any other metroid game. I have 300 energy. I have the upgraded armor that is supposed to make me take less damage. And I still die in just 4 hits from a metroid. FOUR HITS. Is this dark souls or metroid? The only positive part is that when that happens it starts me right outside the metroid's room instead of from the last save point. I'm a huge metroid fan, with zero mission and fusion being my favorites, but this game is a huge disappointment so far. Expand
  86. Sep 15, 2017
    After Playing for 2 Hours i dont even want to go back and continue playing

The Game dosen't play and feel like a 2D Metroid game, the 360° makes the game too easy and the Melee attack too hard And the worst thing is that the beams dont get combined like in Super Metroid so that means when you get the Ice beam there's no reason to use it since it does 0 Damage And the most
    After Playing for 2 Hours i dont even want to go back and continue playing

And the most challenging thing in metroid (Walljump and Bomb Jumping) just got way to easy, for Wall jumping just jump to a wall and press A and for bomb jumping you just spam Y

probably the worst 2D Metroid game out there
  87. Apr 12, 2018
    This is my first Metroid game and WOW! This leaves me wanting more, maybe I should start the entire series now. For people who enjoys a good story this is not a game for you, this game is all about gameplay and actions. This game can get a little frustrating at times, but it is really manageable. Really hope they will remake the whole series.
  88. Oct 2, 2017
    Metroid isn't exactly my cup of tea, but I still find it to be highly enjoyable. The combat in the game is simplistic (minus a couple of the boss fights near the end- the final boss fight proved to be challenging and had me using almost every power at my disposal to win, which is exactly how a boss fight should be!), given that all you have is either missiles or lasers. When I first loggedMetroid isn't exactly my cup of tea, but I still find it to be highly enjoyable. The combat in the game is simplistic (minus a couple of the boss fights near the end- the final boss fight proved to be challenging and had me using almost every power at my disposal to win, which is exactly how a boss fight should be!), given that all you have is either missiles or lasers. When I first logged into the game, I was thrilled at the free aim system, and I loved destroying my first few enemies. After a time, the novelty wore off, but there was only a few points throughout the game where I actually grew weary of the all the fighting. As some people have mentioned, monsters tend to respawn pretty quickly, which I did find irritating, and I was also impressed/surprised at the scale of the maps that Samus has to roam. I would not have minded if things had been shrunk down- I don't think I would have missed out much. The game seems repetitive after a couple of levels, but by then, I'd gotten used to the style of the game, so I found myself much more effectively traversing the levels and finding secrets.

Speaking of secrets, one of the features of this game is a new ability that allows you to reveal sections of the map and terrain that you can interact with. I'm no Metroid purist, so I took advantage of this ability as often as my pride would allow- all it did was save me the humility of having to bomb every single nook and cranny to find which way to go, which I did not want to do. Also, the ability is a MUST if you want to 100% the game, in my opinion.

Other powers came fast and furious throughout the game- in my mind, I always compare this series with Zelda, in that your character develops new powers/items that allow him/her to traverse new obstacles, but I feel like those powers come faster in this game. Probably because Zelda is more story-based and longer, whereas Metroid is seemingly developed for speedruns. In that sense you've barely acquired one power before you find yourself in need of another in order to progress. It seemed fast to me, but maybe it's all for the better.

I've only played one other Metroid game (Fusion), so its' the only one that I can really compare this to, but it really does compare very favorably. The combat is smoother, and the animations are solid. I can't get over how beautiful Samus's movements are (and I'm not just saying that because she's a girl). Looking at still images of the game, I don't find the visuals impressive- as soon as things start moving though, everything looks great. I also found the 3D to be very impressive in this game- normally i don't turn it on, but for this game, it really made the animation "pop" and the game came to life. This was a great buy.
  89. Oct 20, 2017
    A great remake, and excellent game for fans and newcomers. We waited a long time for a side-scrolling Metroid game and we finally got it. The graphics are really good, one of the best looking games on the 3DS. The music is great as well, fans will love it. Some people might dislike the controls in this game, I was fine with it. If you love the Metroid series, or thinking of getting intoA great remake, and excellent game for fans and newcomers. We waited a long time for a side-scrolling Metroid game and we finally got it. The graphics are really good, one of the best looking games on the 3DS. The music is great as well, fans will love it. Some people might dislike the controls in this game, I was fine with it. If you love the Metroid series, or thinking of getting into the series, go ahead and buy this great game. Expand
  90. Sep 24, 2017
    Incredible game. This is one of the reasons to buy a 3DS in my opinion.

Incredible game. This is one of the reasons to buy a 3DS in my opinion.

At first, I wasn't sure of how I felt. I knew it was Metroid and that it certainly is a fun game, but it didnt bring the goosebumps or wow factor and I couldn't work out what it was. After a while, I figured that the controls had something to do with it. When you first start playing you may notice that the controls feel a bit awkward mostly when combining the free aim with missiles as your hands can feel really cramped. You don't have the diagonal aim anymore while stationary and you can't really move effectively while doing it so it feels a bit strange while you're learning the ropes.
    Once you get used to this, it is some of the most satisfying and badass combat you will get for a handheld console. You will start pulling off manoeuvres between enemies as you avoid their attacks and then wipe them out with a charge beam. Thats just one example.
    Also I'll just mention that this game is actually harder than the previous titles. Think about the movement of Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission, but more heavier so you will really need to time your jumps and attacks well. There is also a parrying move you where you can stun charging enemies to give you an advantage. Again, it feels strange at first and will take getting used to but its a great addition to aid the fluidity of combat.

If I could pick on something aside from the controls in the beginning, it would be that the sounds seem a but off and distorted at times and the game can get repetitive due to the main goal of killing the Metroids scattered across the game.
    In saying that, there are things in between which break the pattern so it really isn't a major issue. The way they are spread out and the powerups you get, with the encounters you come across as you progress while searching for them still make it feel like a solid Metroid game. As you play further through, it becomes so much more fun because of the weaponry and abilities you have at your disposal. Then again it has always been this way with Metroid games. You feel vulnerable at the start and then turn into a walking weapon with progression.

To wrap this up, the game is very atmospheric and stays true to that isolating feel that Metroid games immerse you in. Yes its on old hard ware but don't let this deter you.
    Please, if you liked the gba and the old nes/snes games, invest in this game.
    Its a decent length, very challenging and will have you entertained for a while.
    The way I see it, it's Metroid but with 2D/3D graphics.
    It deserves your attention and the developers have done an amazing job bringing what we know and love to a solid return.
  91. Feb 13, 2020
    Fun to start with but the difficulty ramps up to insane levels. So sad I was really enjoying this but now I am stuck and can’t get any further, it’s not fun dying endlessly on the same bit over and over again. Won’t be buying any Metroid games ever again, staying clear of this bait and switch.
  92. Oct 16, 2017
    What is more incredible is that it is such a beautiful and well detailed game that could have come out on the Nintendo Switch but it came out on Nintendo 3DS.
    Everything is awesome, the scenario of the game is very spectacular and very detailed, several animations things happen at the second plan of the game, the 3D visual effect is splendid and I played the whole game with it on, the soundtrack is magnificent, the gameplay is extremely well done, full of new skills, classics power ups and some totally new ones. The difficulty surprised me, it's the hardest Metroid game I've ever finished, obviously it should be easier than the first NES. Many enemies very well built and need to be studied to be defeated. It was also nice to see some scenarios and other similarities with AMR2 that most probably should also be in the Game Boy Classic, maybe one day I will have the courage to play the consecrated Metroid II. Unfortunately this game not pass the genius and beauty in the exploratin of the its secrets as the Zero Mission does, even not invented the wheel as the Super Metroid. But it's a great game that comes easy in my top 10 of Nintendo 3DS and this is a Nintendo gift for the fans of the series.
  93. Jan 9, 2018
    Good:
    - Good use of the touchscreen: players can use it to change weapon types and check their map on the fly
    - Contains very little narration and is very reminiscent of the older Metroid games - Bosses were usually introduced in fun and unique ways - The parry system was a great addition and the interactive cutscenes that you get by parrying metroids and bigger bosses are very cool to
    Good:
    - Bosses were usually introduced in fun and unique ways
    - The parry system was a great addition and the interactive cutscenes that you get by parrying metroids and bigger bosses are very cool to see play out
    - The lock-aim combined with the ability to aim 360 degrees was a much needed improvement that brought the remake’s source material into the modern age
    - Overall, a solid addition to the 3DS library amid Nintendo putting most of their support towards the Switch

- While there is an attempt to add variation to the Metroid fights (elements, move sets, environments, evolutions throughout), the battles can get a little boring once you get used to them
    - The boss fights were fun and intricate most of the time, but most of them were backloaded. When you exclude metroids that you fight repeatably throughout the game, there are only really 4 bosses. In a game that takes about 10 hours to complete, you fight 3 of those bosses in the last 2 hours
    - Progression is pretty intuitive throughout a large majority of the game thanks to hints on the minimap, but there are some instances where they make it extremely difficult to figure out how to continue through an area

Bad:
    - Excluding boss fights, the game pretty much becomes a cakewalk in the later stages. After you get upgrades that allow you to do things like shoot through walls and do infinite jumps, the player really don't have to worry about dying in the over world
    - The ice beam is pretty useless throughout the game and is really only necessary to solve one puzzle and defeat one kind of metroid; players need to use it near the end of the game in a very short sequence
    - There’s not a whole lot of incentive to go back to collect the remainder of upgrades once the story has been completed
  94. Sep 16, 2017
    I am so happy that Nintendo has brought Metroid back to its former glory. Aside from a few flaws like non-remappable controls and somewhat repetitive gameplay (with the metroid fights for example), not to mention some very awkward pacing issues, I can safely say that this game is worth a buy. I still prefer the other Metroid 2 remake made by fans, but I would have to be daft to not see theI am so happy that Nintendo has brought Metroid back to its former glory. Aside from a few flaws like non-remappable controls and somewhat repetitive gameplay (with the metroid fights for example), not to mention some very awkward pacing issues, I can safely say that this game is worth a buy. I still prefer the other Metroid 2 remake made by fans, but I would have to be daft to not see the finer details that help this game stand out from other Metroid titles like Federation Force. Welcome home Samus Aran. See you next mission. Expand
  95. Jun 4, 2018
    You can’t ask anything else from this game. It’s so similar to the SNES one but with new weapons, maps, enemys and graphics. So good to play good old 2D’s completing the map and eith a good challenge on it, eould love to see a Castlevania 2D games as they used to be in DS, nostalgia os what is selling!
  96. Sep 17, 2017
    the gameplay feels great, but the lack of new mobs and bosses makes the game repetitive. its clearly lazy game design when there is only a hand full of different enemies you can encounter and they just change colour as you progress through the game.
  97. Sep 17, 2017
    Creado únicamente para silenciar a la comunidad que, posterior retiro de AM2R, reclamó el no uso de las licencias de Metroid.
    El juego presenta nuevas mecánicas que cambian por completo la experiencia Metroid 2D, apostando por el disparo libre en 360°, y extirpando de raíz el interés por explorar en busca de mejoras, con el uso del escaner.
    El estilo de combate pobre y repetitivo de
    El estilo de combate pobre y repetitivo de esperar y contraatacar, resta desafió con la mayor parte de los enemigos. SR388 se vuelve un habitat con potencial, pero escaso de jefes o mini jefes que presenten un desafío al jugador, siendo los Metroids , prácticamente, los únicos enemigos a puerta cerrada del titulo.

Nintendo cumplió con la comunidad, dejando mucho que desear.
  98. Sep 24, 2017
    A fantastic addition to the Metroid franchise. Graphics/Visuals: You can see a lot of detail and care went into making SR388 feel alive and authentic. As I traversed through the map, I couldn't help but notice the detail that went into the rooms. There have been a handful of times where I stumbled on a room with an upgrade (missile, energy tank, etc.), where it seemed hand crafted, akinA fantastic addition to the Metroid franchise. Graphics/Visuals: You can see a lot of detail and care went into making SR388 feel alive and authentic. As I traversed through the map, I couldn't help but notice the detail that went into the rooms. There have been a handful of times where I stumbled on a room with an upgrade (missile, energy tank, etc.), where it seemed hand crafted, akin to Prime. Something the developers didn't have to do, but very appreciated. Sound/Music: Sound was pretty standard I think, and you'll experience the remixed version of the Metroid II music, although a lot of it was more ambient than actual pieces, so I did miss hearing that good ol' Metroid music but the music was good overall. Gameplay/Controls: The melee counter is a welcome addition, where you don't have to do it but feels great when pulled off. Controlling Samus feels tight and responsive, where I feel like she's a lot more agile than previous games. The enemy variety did seem a bit lackluster, where you'll run into the same enemy in all the areas just with a different color variant. I did wish they included actual bosses, as you'll fight the same Metroids throughout the course of the game, those encounters will eventually become repetitive. All in all, I think I put somewhere around 11 hours, and I enjoyed every second of it. I am happy to see Metroid go back to it's roots, and look forward to see what else Mercury Steam has to offer. Expand
  99. Oct 1, 2017
    Al principio desconfiaba del 3d, pero te llegas a acostumbrar. Tiene casi todo lo de un clásico metroid, y hasta con cosas nuevas. Hubiera sido excelente mas variedad de jefes, pero los que están, cumplen con el objetivo.
  100. Oct 21, 2017
    Is a great game, simple hostory but gread adventure and gameplay. It was the best 3ds had to offer. Im very happy finishing this game and ansious for MP4.
    Congratulation nintendo! Thank for this experience.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 83 Critic Reviews

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Feb 16, 2018
    Metroid: Samus Returns brings to the 3DS a pearl of the genre with all its plus and minus that you can expect, beautifully crafted with time-consuming repetitive gaming. [Issue#279]
  2. CD-Action
    Dec 19, 2017
    I’m not emotionally attached to Metroid series, so for me Samus Returns is just a solid metroidvania game with a bland art style, devoid of the spark of individuality that turned Ori, Apotheon or Hollow Knight into memorable gems. [12/2017, p.45]
  3. Dec 7, 2017
    It definitely overstays its welcome, and it's far from the best in the series, it's been so long since there was a Metroid game that it's nice to see it back here on the 3DS. I feel like they've built strong mechanics, which can hopefully serve a more varied and interesting quest in a future entry to the series, maybe one that DOESN'T involve doing the same fights over and over the entire game. Samus Returns is definitely a step up from the original Metroid 2, but it is unable to touch the heights of both the series and the genre.