8.0

1. Jan 31, 2019
    One of the best handheld consoles with impressive First Party support, and less shovelware than the previous DS. The 3D feature, despite naming the console is probably the least noteworthy aspect of the system and if you're like me, you'll screw with it for the first few weeks and then never use it again except by accident. I later got the confusingly named New 2DS XL which removes thisOne of the best handheld consoles with impressive First Party support, and less shovelware than the previous DS. The 3D feature, despite naming the console is probably the least noteworthy aspect of the system and if you're like me, you'll screw with it for the first few weeks and then never use it again except by accident. I later got the confusingly named New 2DS XL which removes this feature in exchange for a lower priced "New" console and I don't miss it at all. Much more interesting features are StreetPass and the play coins, which give you an incentive to take your console with you outside. The console recently got remakes of the earlier Mario and Luigi games, and an assload of other JRPGs like Bravely Default and its sequel, a Xenoblade Chronicles port (Only on the "New" consoles) Fantasy Life, Etrian Odyssey, etc, which makes this a great console to pick up if you're into JRPGs.
    The console also has Animal Crossing New Leaf, the best game in the Animal Crossing series as of this typing.

Aside from the games, the system itself is capable of reading fancy AR Cards which can be used for games or taking pictures of Nintendo characters chilling in your house. The 3DS Camera sucks though. Just like the 3D feature, you likely won't use AR cards or the camera much at all after the first few weeks of the system. The home, start and select buttons feel a little too titanic which is thankfully fixed in the New redesign which makes them regular buttons like they should've been

The original 3DS model had some design problems, such as the bottom screen scratching the top everytime you close the system due to differing sizes, which is more noticable if you turn on 3D. And the trigger buttons will wear down with use through no fault of the player, and at least on trigger button will stop working if you play a lot. Thankfully these problems are fixed with the unfortunately named "New" redesign, which changes the design of trigger buttons, adds ZL and ZR buttons as alternative trigger buttons (Or whatever you want them to be) and makes the two screens more even. If you're reading this right now and haven't bought a 3DS, buy one of the "New" consoles, don't buy the original. You can get New 2DS XL for 150 bucks as of this typing, which is 20 bucks less than what the original 3ds was selling for originally (After the price cut) and it's worth it, also comes preinstalled with Mario Kart 7
  2. Jun 17, 2016
    The Nintendo 3DS is a great system. But, the online services are just terrible. You don't have much friends to play against with in multiplayer and online multiplayer. You have to play online with a lot of strangers. I wished Nintendo could let you easily make friends and play with friends using the friend code system.
  3. Apr 30, 2016
    Why am I reviewing a console as a game? That's what one logic I'll never get in Metacritic. In fact, why do we have this thing on the site though? The 3DS is by far more advanced to the Nintendo DS, and it's making me buy one again (I used to own one).
  4. Apr 22, 2016
    This is nintendo's finest system yet, and proves that console quality games can be on a handheld, as well as that handheld gaming is far from dead. Features include: Camera, 3D visuals (glasses free), Music player, Youtube, Netflix, Hulu Plus, Eshop, Internet browser and much more. But we dont buy systems for the features, do we? We get them for GAMES! and Boy does it have games. to nameThis is nintendo's finest system yet, and proves that console quality games can be on a handheld, as well as that handheld gaming is far from dead. Features include: Camera, 3D visuals (glasses free), Music player, Youtube, Netflix, Hulu Plus, Eshop, Internet browser and much more. But we dont buy systems for the features, do we? We get them for GAMES! and Boy does it have games. to name the best of the best: The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, Monster Hunter 3&4, Zelda ocarina of time 3d and majora's mask 3d, Hyrule Warriors, Resident Evil, and much much MUCH more. With a low price point and cheap games, there is no reason to not own one TODAY. Expand
  5. Apr 6, 2016
    This is one of the best consoles I've ever seen! First of all, they have themes to decorate your home screen. They also have badges (via. Nintendo to make it stylish and more. If you don't like 3D get a 2DS! If you want better CPU and graphics get a New Nintendo 3DS! They have a huge selection of games and an E-shop. It's affordable $100 for a 2DS and $200 for a New Nintendo 3DS XL. BestThis is one of the best consoles I've ever seen! First of all, they have themes to decorate your home screen. They also have badges (via. Nintendo to make it stylish and more. If you don't like 3D get a 2DS! If you want better CPU and graphics get a New Nintendo 3DS! They have a huge selection of games and an E-shop. It's affordable $100 for a 2DS and $200 for a New Nintendo 3DS XL. Best of all it has backwards compatibility with Nintendo DS one of the best consoles. And its Nintendo you can play games like Mario, Zelda, Fire Emblem, Pokemon, etc. That's why the Nintendo 3DS is sooo good! Expand
  6. Mar 9, 2016
    I don't even know how I would function without this system. I take it everywhere I go. It has masterpieces such as Mario Kart, Animal Crossing and many more. I strongly recommend checking out the Nintendo Eshop. There are some great titles for as low as 5 dollars. Seriously if you don't own one of these then you're missing out!
  7. Oct 20, 2015
    No charger included in package. Seriously, if I buy a tv or any other electronic and it had no power cable it would be a failure as well. Completely unacceptable to jew the consumer this much.
  8. Sep 23, 2015
    This is a lackluster of a console. The software and online feels really oudated, like playing something from 2002. Downloaded content is not synced to your account, meaning that if you lose your 3DS, you are out of luck and have to re-buy what you bought before.

A lot of the most popular games are rehashes of older great games, but I just couldn't find them as interesting as I did back then.
    I don't want to say I've "grown up", but these games are outdated and appeal too much nostalgia without innovation. They're only visually interesting, but you'd get the same experience out of playing what you had on the SNES.

I can't at all understand the praise for some of the highest ratest games. Bravely Default, Xenoblade Chronicles had TERRIBLE stories and gameplay.

All in all I enjoyed the gameplay of Mario Kart 7 and Fire Emblem: Awakening, but that is no reason to buy this console.
  9. Feb 26, 2015
    New dimension in 3D. The Nintendo 3DS is a must own for any gamer. I have both Aqua blue and Cosmo Black and had it since 2011. The games on shelfs are awesome. If only if CoD was on a 3DS... Still a 10/10. If you are a fan of Nintendo and don't own a system in the 3DS family, you are silly as hell. It is the best handheld EVER! My first 3DS game was Super Mario 3D Land. I play my 3DS allNew dimension in 3D. The Nintendo 3DS is a must own for any gamer. I have both Aqua blue and Cosmo Black and had it since 2011. The games on shelfs are awesome. If only if CoD was on a 3DS... Still a 10/10. If you are a fan of Nintendo and don't own a system in the 3DS family, you are silly as hell. It is the best handheld EVER! My first 3DS game was Super Mario 3D Land. I play my 3DS all the time when I am on the go. Expand
  10. May 25, 2014
    I am quite disappointed to his design......If you close 3ds roughly will cause upper screen damage and hinge problem. The camera is really kidding with me , what a low megapixel as a normal camera.......Psp/vita design never have hinge problem. However, even it own nothing to versus ps vita, but i more like the genre of game release by nintendo.......So i like 3ds ._.
  11. Jan 2, 2014
    This is without any doubt, the best Nintendo hand-held system, it got teh remake of the best game ever, the first 3D Pokémon game, YouTube, Miiverse, good graphics and the first Smash Bros for a hand-held system
  12. Sep 14, 2013
    Great system I have ever owned. I give this system 10 out of 10.
    I bought it to play ''Super Mario 3D Land'' .
    Graphics is Great.It has abundant titles.I think that It evolved from DS.You must buy this system.
  13. Aug 30, 2013
    This system is amazing. I would recommend this system to Nintendo fan. The graphics are amazing plus the 3d. The games for the 3ds are good too may favorite is mh3u. Also the circle pad and the circle pad pro make this a whole lot better. The apps to it are good too. So that's all I got to say hope you liked.
  14. Jun 24, 2013
    Aunque el cambio Nintendo DS-3DS no fue mayor, la consola cuenta varias funciones e ideas nuevas (3D, SlidePad, Touch Screen, Nintendo Network, CPU & GPU bastante potentes) que mejoran bastante la experiencia de juego, la idea de usar 3D como atractivo principal es arriesgada, pero vemos que el éxito de 3DS en el mercado no se debe a solo eso, sino al la gran variedad de juegos de calidadAunque el cambio Nintendo DS-3DS no fue mayor, la consola cuenta varias funciones e ideas nuevas (3D, SlidePad, Touch Screen, Nintendo Network, CPU & GPU bastante potentes) que mejoran bastante la experiencia de juego, la idea de usar 3D como atractivo principal es arriesgada, pero vemos que el éxito de 3DS en el mercado no se debe a solo eso, sino al la gran variedad de juegos de calidad que han sido sacados por Nintendo, y en menor escala por terceros. Si esta consola sigue con el éxito que esta teniendo actualmente, podría llegar a vender casi como DS. Expand
  15. May 28, 2013
    This is truly the single most disappointing console of the past decade. I can't believe Nintendo actually released this handheld, it should've stayed in the R&D phase. Then again, modern Nintendo is more interested in cutting corners to lower production costs than offering the best end-user experience possible.

It has 240p screens, its hardware is only roughly on par with a PSP (2MB of

It has 240p screens, its hardware is only roughly on par with a PSP (2MB of VRAM, a dual-core processor running at a mere 266 MHz and 128MB of RAM laughable), its game library is the worst of any major system since the PS2 era, it only has one circle pad (enjoy your Circle Pad Pro, 3DS gamers), its lower screen is resistive and the top isn't touch at all, it has terrible battery life, it cannot multitask and its future looks awful.

I cannot stress enough how disappointing the 3DS is. I waited almost a decade for a replacement for my DS, I was so excited. Easily the biggest disappointment of my gaming career, nothing comes close. At least Nintendo refunded mine, I put that money toward a Vita the best investment of my gaming career.

Maybe next time Nintendo will put out a decent handheld, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Pair this with the Wii U and Nintendo's lack of creativity in their games over the past few years, and I really regret putting so much time and money into Nintendo products throughout most of my life.
  16. Apr 14, 2013
    Don't make the mistake of thinking this is nothing more than a DS with 3D. Sure it has the same set up and some of the same features the DS did, but make no mistake this is a new handheld system that does things the DS just couldn't do. The new online features are excellent, the graphical power is better than ever, and the 3D effect is a really cool thing even if some games don't make theDon't make the mistake of thinking this is nothing more than a DS with 3D. Sure it has the same set up and some of the same features the DS did, but make no mistake this is a new handheld system that does things the DS just couldn't do. The new online features are excellent, the graphical power is better than ever, and the 3D effect is a really cool thing even if some games don't make the best use of it. But by far the thing that makes me love the 3DS the most is its selection of games. Its got a wealth of excellent and original titles, and even some enhanced remakes of some N64 games like Starfox 64 or Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. The 3DS is, just like the DS before it, the best handheld gaming system currently available. Expand
  17. Apr 3, 2013
    The system itself is very easy to get used to, 10/10, the games I'd give an average of 7.5/10, the 3D effects are kinda weird, and make you tired after a while in some games, 7.5/10, overall, 8.3/10
  18. Mar 1, 2013
    An excellent system with a whole lot of new features and fantastic graphics! Many of the games are great and take good use of the 3D, witch doesn't so much as pop out as it does look like a diorama. But the battery isn't very good and the games cost significantly more that regular DS games.
  19. Jan 12, 2013
    The 3DS is just a blurry mess. The 3-D just made your eyes hurt and the games look the same except just a bit more depth. You can buy a PSP that is much more better than this waste.
  20. Dec 30, 2012
    Really fun hand held 3d can be weird but over all the graphics sound and playability make this a must have for any Nintendo fan.if you can find it i recommend buying the xl with Mario kart 7 that seems to be the best deal out there
  21. Dec 29, 2012
    Terrible graphics/resolution, cheap quality, average game library. The 3DS could've been a much better system if Nintendo didn't cheap out on mass manufacturing. It's extremely uncomfortable to use for long periods of time due to its shape.
  22. Dec 26, 2012
    What...is this thing? Seriously, who thought of creating the same console, with the mere addition of the WORST FEATURE POSSIBLE IN EXISTENCE (the 3D), would be a great idea? And before some people might think I'm a nintendo hater, I actually LOVED the original nintendo ds and owned more than 40 games on that system, both imported and released games. But this is just bad. Let me be honestWhat...is this thing? Seriously, who thought of creating the same console, with the mere addition of the WORST FEATURE POSSIBLE IN EXISTENCE (the 3D), would be a great idea? And before some people might think I'm a nintendo hater, I actually LOVED the original nintendo ds and owned more than 40 games on that system, both imported and released games. But this is just bad. Let me be honest for a second: I liked how they improved the console itself and how they made it better in some regards; the semi-analogic stick is a nice addition and, even if they didn't add a SECOND analogic stick, it's still a good thing, and the possibility to play in 3D (or pain) is something interesting, especially since you won't need glasses and it actually works great for some games (so far, just one, and that was Super Mario)...but I still have to ask who thought that this would be a nice idea, especially since, after almost 2 years out, this console has still TERRIBLE games and only a very few of them are worth your time, without mentioning that the 3DS now reminds more of a psvita/psp, with navigation menus, internet, a home feature...and dlc. Evolution is unavoidable, but this looks more like backtracking, especially for few big reasons, and one is the 3D: while it might be a nice addition (it is interesting, at least), it RUINS terribly some of the games mechanics! How? I'll make a brief example: in games on ds where you were supposed to press buttons or do actions shown on your touchscreen, on the 3DS you do that too...without the actual images shown on your touchscreen. And this issue was in many of the games I've bought on the console (the biggest example was Theatrhytmn Final Fantasy, where you watch the upper screen...but the actions are meant to be done on the touchscreen instead), and I just want to know WHY they ever do this, who would ruin a simple design that....oh, right, the 3D effect is on the upper screen, I forgot right.... Rants aside, I truely hope that this mechanic won't ruin our next games, or the console will have a comfy spot in the shelf. Speaking of games...where are they? For almost a year most of the games that came out weren't even worth of our attention (I barely rememberany good games coming out that year except, maybe for Tales of the Abyss and, I believe, Resident Evil). A lot of other games are also console ports...from other consoles (Blazblue? Street Fighter?, Samurai Warriors? Am I playing a ps3 or a portable console?). Again, rants aside, for now the 3DS looks more like a psp, mainly because it had the biggest flaw of having nothing but ports from ps2 games, with few exceptions,, and until they'll make new games for real, my hopes aren't going to be high any time soon. And for last, but not the least, the 3DS is region locked..."Insert insane scream of rage here". Why?! The original DS was region free and, thanks to that nice feature (or the lack of additional feature, maybe), the imports of japanese games (and american games, for me) were a great thing for those who wanted to play games that, for a reason or another, wouldn't get a release in our country (infact, my favorite games are Etrian Odyssey 3, which is american only, and Rune factory 3...which was released, but I never saw it in stores and so I had to import a copy. At least according to Wikipedia). Now, maybe for Americans this won't be a huge issue, because I do know a lot of games get release in America, thus removing the issue of importing specific games, but since I'm pretty sure this site is also followed by Europeans (hopefully...?), this problem of the region lock is not a small thing and, unless you play the most common games, you'll have big troubles wanting to play a particular game, but again, this last point is mostly a big issue for us Europeans, and it saddens me to see the 3DS backtracking, instead of improving. For everyone else, this is a minor problem....but the first two points still remain and, honestly, I'm terribly disappointed by this new console and, apart for the flashy 3D effects, a "new" interface, new graphics and engine, there is really nothing new and, if nothing, it looks unappealing at the very least...I'll give the rating of 1 because I've learned to not give up expectations yet (and this generation of games had far too many failures), and I will wait for proper improvements and (REAL) new games until then. By the way... in case some people are focusing only on the new features, such as like the camera, the internet, chatting, applications, stores and anything else there is that I barely remember, I have two things to say: 1) I've bought a mini-laptop for an inferior prize and does everything better than the 3DS...except the 3D. 2) I want to play games. I know consoles have evolved into more technological devices, but I still want to play games, and so do kids, so we won't even bother the additional features. Sorry for the rant, but this is my honest thoughts from an ex-nintendo fan. Expand
  23. Dec 20, 2012
    Great Graphics? Check!
    Fantastic Games? Check!
    An Abundant Amount of Game? Check!
    Unique, but useful features? Check!
    Touch Screen + Traditional Button Layout? Check!
    An online shop? Check!
    Etc etc.

Seriously, there isn't anything this system does have. The only way it wouldn't appeal to someone is if the person has never actually played it or if they don't like Nintendo at all.
  24. Nov 24, 2012
    The 3ds is like a game library where I could hold my favorite games in one hand-held console. With this, I can play games in 3D. But when I play in 3D it seems like it's just plain blurry. But everything else seems cool to me. A eshop is where we can download games. Some of these games can only be downloaded, so it kind of makes it a problem for the people who doesn't have internet or isThe 3ds is like a game library where I could hold my favorite games in one hand-held console. With this, I can play games in 3D. But when I play in 3D it seems like it's just plain blurry. But everything else seems cool to me. A eshop is where we can download games. Some of these games can only be downloaded, so it kind of makes it a problem for the people who doesn't have internet or is unable to connect. One good about the eshop is that we can now play old games like super mario bros from the NES. The 3ds is a console that is worth it, but if you think it's not big enough, then buy the 3ds XL, which has a bigger screen than the 3ds. Expand
  25. Jun 20, 2012
    People wo hate this system call it two things, first one is "Just a Ds with 3D" The 3DS is more than that, everything is upgraded, including graphics and all the features like camera. It has a lot of new software, like AR games, Swapnote (updated pictochat) and Nintendo video. The other thing people call it is "Fake 3D scam" I can assure the 3D is real glasses free 3D. The games on thisPeople wo hate this system call it two things, first one is "Just a Ds with 3D" The 3DS is more than that, everything is upgraded, including graphics and all the features like camera. It has a lot of new software, like AR games, Swapnote (updated pictochat) and Nintendo video. The other thing people call it is "Fake 3D scam" I can assure the 3D is real glasses free 3D. The games on this system are beyond amazing. Kid Icarus made use of streetpass, spotpass and almost every other game software out there. Metal gear solid for 3DS has some of the coolest features like taking a photo with your camera and the colours will become snake's new camo. Get this console now. Expand
  26. Jun 3, 2012
    The 3DS is a handheld that is alredy producing graphics that are as good as the Wii. The graphics in Super Mario 3D Land combined with the 3D make it look even greater than Super Mario Galaxy 2. It has some great games like SM3D Land, Ocarina of Time 3D, Star Fox 64 3D, and Kid Icarus Uprising. The online is terrific.I've had no problems connecting. It has some extra mini-games that reallyThe 3DS is a handheld that is alredy producing graphics that are as good as the Wii. The graphics in Super Mario 3D Land combined with the 3D make it look even greater than Super Mario Galaxy 2. It has some great games like SM3D Land, Ocarina of Time 3D, Star Fox 64 3D, and Kid Icarus Uprising. The online is terrific.I've had no problems connecting. It has some extra mini-games that really show off the 3D as well such as the AR cards which can display augumented reality. The 3D is absolutely jaw-dropping. I was amazed how much depth can be added to a game with it. It is also backwards compatible with DS games, and it actually improves the clarity of them. Try using the 3DS analog stick on game like Super Mario 64 DS. The movement is much more smoother. This is a perfect handheld console and lets hope the Vita will do good as well. Expand
  27. May 5, 2012
  28. Apr 28, 2012
    The Dsi was better,and the 3D mode just makes everything blurry.
  29. Mar 18, 2012
    The Nintendo 3DS is the best handheld gaming console I have ever owned! It has so many great features and games that keep me begging for more 3D action!
  30. Mar 13, 2012
    The best system I have ever owned - I can play all my favorite Nintendo games on it, and the 3D is fantastic! I highly recommend this system to everyone!
  31. Feb 1, 2012
    I bought the 3DS because I have had enough of "games" on smartphones which could not satisfy me. It is a really great system, every detail is thought-out. I have the "Legend of Zelda" edition so I am currently enjoying that game. Graphics are nice (even though high-end smartphones are more powerful nowadays), the controls are really good and I absolutely love the user interface.
    The
    The glasses-free 3D is quite nice as long as it is implemented properly by the game. Ocarina of Time has great 3D but I have seen trailers of other games in which the 3D was... well, weird. Developers should pay more attention to it because it definitely pays off.

For the low price, it is a great system and I definitely recommend it. One point down because of lower system specs but the rest of the console makes up for it.

The only bad thing is that there seems to be nobody in my country who has a 3DS, I have not met anyone with StreetPass yet!
  32. Jan 27, 2012
    Excellent graphics for a handheld system. It has many useful and cool features, like an Internet browser, gyroscope, and augmented reality. My only complaint is the battery life. The longest it's lasted for me is around 5 hours.
  33. Jan 13, 2012
    The 3ds is now an awesome device. They updated a lot of stuff and now the 3ds has better games and an really great future games line up and apps. the 3ds is the thing to have . Good apps like swapnotes make the 3ds The future of handheld games. +3D is Great the 3d is really great and the game looks better in 3D. It brings the graphics to life. +Great apps. the apps on the 3d improvedThe 3ds is now an awesome device. They updated a lot of stuff and now the 3ds has better games and an really great future games line up and apps. the 3ds is the thing to have . Good apps like swapnotes make the 3ds The future of handheld games. +3D is Great the 3d is really great and the game looks better in 3D. It brings the graphics to life. +Great apps. the apps on the 3d improved since first bought it. + Internet is okay, the internet browsing is better than I expected
    -Battery Life isnt that great I do not like how fast it die. It can last up to 3-5 hours. If u wnt it to last 5 hours you may have to adjust the brightness and keep 3d off. -Design - the design does make it hard to fit in your pocket.
  34. Nov 9, 2011
    It's a pretty good console, with some flaws. Integrated software is sweet, menu is nice to look at, 3D is also nice. the only flaws are the battery and the cameras, but i can overlook the cameras because i don't use them that much anyway. A bigger screen would also be more cool. But overall, this thing has a lot of promise. Not absolutely perfect, but a very welcome improvement from theIt's a pretty good console, with some flaws. Integrated software is sweet, menu is nice to look at, 3D is also nice. the only flaws are the battery and the cameras, but i can overlook the cameras because i don't use them that much anyway. A bigger screen would also be more cool. But overall, this thing has a lot of promise. Not absolutely perfect, but a very welcome improvement from the original DS. Expand
  35. Jul 29, 2011
    this is an awsome console battery life is low
  36. Jun 10, 2011
    The 3ds is incredible, and well worth the price. It has glasses free 3d that works well, great motion controls, a pedometer that unlocks bonus content, improved web browser over the DSi, Improved eShop over DSI and Wii, Faster Internet, ability to download trailers, ability to download classic Gameboy and Gameboy Colour titles, 2 free games, AR games and capability, being able to transferThe 3ds is incredible, and well worth the price. It has glasses free 3d that works well, great motion controls, a pedometer that unlocks bonus content, improved web browser over the DSi, Improved eShop over DSI and Wii, Faster Internet, ability to download trailers, ability to download classic Gameboy and Gameboy Colour titles, 2 free games, AR games and capability, being able to transfer games from a DSi to the 3ds, Streetpass (exchanging data with someone as you walk past them), Spotpass (Downloading when the system is closed), an analog stick, a home button that lets you pause the game to go onto the Internet or something, built-in game notes, universal friend codes, tons of space on the menu, 3d photos, Incredible design, Greatly improved resolution, much nicer presentation and a lot more, all done incredibly well. Expand
  37. Mar 13, 2012

There are no critic reviews yet.