8.1

1. Jun 22, 2016
    As soon as I heard the new Rhythm Heaven was out, I just had to download it. I don't regret buying it. It is an amazing rhythm game with catchy music as well.

When you first start playing it, it feels really short and easy. Which is great for those who are new to the series, but if you're experienced with rhythm games then the beginning will feel a tad slow. As you get further, you will unlock more songs that slowly increase in difficulty. Towards the end there were some songs I wanted to retry just to get the hang of it. Thankfully it never felt too hard, but were a decent challenge near the end.
    As you play each song, you earn coins to spend on little trinkets. So when you find that song you really enjoy, you can spend coins to just buy the music with in game coins! Listen to your favorite songs as much as you like.
    You can also play locally with a friend through wireless play. It's even more enjoyable when playing with friends. You can do this to earn a different kind of currency to buy more songs to play with. You can also do it solo if you want.

In short, if you really enjoy rhythm games then I suggest getting this game. The colorful characters and great music make a wonderful combination. I love this game!
  2. Jun 16, 2016
    The Rhythm Heaven series has always been quite unique but sometimes difficult to approach. Being spread across several systems, generations and languages has made it nearly impossible to play all the great, quirky minigames. I have personally never gotten the chance to play the original GBA installment, or the Arcade game, since they have had no official ports to the West.

Seemingly

Seemingly playing off of this fragmented past, Megamix offers up games from each previous installment, while adding their own in one single game that is perfect for anyone who has been hearing great things about the series, but has never has never jumped on.

The only mark against the game is the unnecessary story segments in between games. The series had always aimed for a very minimal menu experience, offering up just a few flashy animations after each new game unlock or clear. Megamix decides to add a story involving returning an alien to its home, which only serves to bog down the transitions from game to game. I frequently found myself mashing through the dialogue to get to the next game as the writing, while not bad, really adds nothing of value to the experience.
  3. Jun 29, 2016
    This is a very solid iteration on a franchise that doesn't change very much. You get the best of the GBA game you've never played because it didn't have a US release, the best of the DS game without the forced touch-screen mechanics, and the best of the Wii game without all the waggle, all on a 3DS that has nearly zero latency - super important in rhythm games. It's the best of the RhythmThis is a very solid iteration on a franchise that doesn't change very much. You get the best of the GBA game you've never played because it didn't have a US release, the best of the DS game without the forced touch-screen mechanics, and the best of the Wii game without all the waggle, all on a 3DS that has nearly zero latency - super important in rhythm games. It's the best of the Rhythm Heaven games.

All that praise said, it starts a bit slow this time. While players will probably love the cheeky dialogue that comes along with there being an actual story for once, the initial sets of challenges are clearly for beginners and unskippable. Veterans of the series (and let's face it, that's who will be playing this game) might snooze through the long introduction until the game opens up.

Once it does open up - and it makes it very clear when this happens - you'll finally be challenged again, and it's wonderful. There's interesting stuff happening with the music this time around, in both the regular stages and the remixes. Add on top of that a new unlockable system for the Museum and a few cute sidegames like what is basically Goat Pachinko, and you've got the most fully-featured, mechanically-solid game in this series since the Japanese-only original.

Highly recommended!
  4. Jun 29, 2016
    This game goes well beyond being a simple compilation collection of the former titles' tracks. The sheer amount of songs in it is impressive (all of them being catchy and fun in their own way), but the other game modes, such as the challenges, perfect campaign, and goat raising simulator, have kept me coming back long after finishing the main campaign. Rhythm Heaven Megamix is filled withThis game goes well beyond being a simple compilation collection of the former titles' tracks. The sheer amount of songs in it is impressive (all of them being catchy and fun in their own way), but the other game modes, such as the challenges, perfect campaign, and goat raising simulator, have kept me coming back long after finishing the main campaign. Rhythm Heaven Megamix is filled with charm and humor that has made myself, my wife, and my 7 year-old daughter laugh so much. Approachable at any age or skill level, and challenging enough for experts. Over 70 hours in, and I have a feeling I will be tapping my foot to this title for more time to come. Expand
  5. Jun 24, 2016
    This game is amazing! It's got all the charms of Warioware but in a nice, rhythm game format, with the games lasting much longer than the micrograms. As a musician, this game is really helpful in keeping my eternal bpm in sync with the rhythm and it's got so much content. Some of the games are quite hard and really test your prow for rhythm, but at the end of the day, going back to theThis game is amazing! It's got all the charms of Warioware but in a nice, rhythm game format, with the games lasting much longer than the micrograms. As a musician, this game is really helpful in keeping my eternal bpm in sync with the rhythm and it's got so much content. Some of the games are quite hard and really test your prow for rhythm, but at the end of the day, going back to the tougher games forces you to overcome the challenges and improves your skills. I feel that one user (fadula) that gave this game 2 stars was severely harsh, my advice would be to ignore him and check out the demo for yourselves as well as take the advice from all us positive reviews. Expand
  6. Jun 21, 2016
    Inarguably the most ambitious game in the series yet. Like the previous games, it doesn't fail to have that bright colorful cartoony charm as well as cleverly fun minigames. Unlike previous titles, the game actually features a storyline, which isn't exactly necessary for the kind of game it is, but is an interesting addition and might even get a few chuckles out of you. In minigames, theInarguably the most ambitious game in the series yet. Like the previous games, it doesn't fail to have that bright colorful cartoony charm as well as cleverly fun minigames. Unlike previous titles, the game actually features a storyline, which isn't exactly necessary for the kind of game it is, but is an interesting addition and might even get a few chuckles out of you. In minigames, the controls are satisfyingly responsive compared to the previous games.

The downside is that many of the minigames are just copied straight from the older games, which makes the game really redundant if you played the older titles. Though the new, original games added do make up for it. Overall, excellent game.
  7. May 15, 2017
    This game is extremely fun, time flies when playing it, and that's the main point of a video-game! The amount of different songs is stunning, the highest one by a lot in the series, and some of them are memorable. It's the first time this game includes a story mode, and while a bit odd it doesn't ruin the pace of the game, some dialogues are hilarious. It's also a great chance to play someThis game is extremely fun, time flies when playing it, and that's the main point of a video-game! The amount of different songs is stunning, the highest one by a lot in the series, and some of them are memorable. It's the first time this game includes a story mode, and while a bit odd it doesn't ruin the pace of the game, some dialogues are hilarious. It's also a great chance to play some of the cool GBA minigames for western people, as Rhythm Tengoku only appeared in Japan. I have to say, though, that in my opinion it lacks a bit more of new content, most songs have appeared in other Rhythm Heaven games, and remixes have become a bit too easy in my opinion, there were more epic remixes in the other games. The challenges it presents, apart from the famous get a perfect in songs, consist of a train in which you travel. This is cool as it changes the pace of some of the songs, it makes you play them differently. Beating some of them is hard, and the last trains are insane, so don't think beating this 100% is easy, it's extremely hard (although for me getting all the perfects was much easier than in the 2 previous games).

I cannot forget unlockables. There are a lot of them!! You get a lot of funny rewards during the whole game. And the Goat minigame, while frustrating at times, is simple and fun.

All in all, an extremely fun game, the best to be introduced in this amazing saga, and a must-play for veterans as well, though these players will end with the feeling the game could have been a bit more.
  8. Sep 24, 2016
    Addicting! I cannot get enough of this game! The only complaint I have is that the difficulty is toned down evidently. But besides that it is great as it has a lot of rhythm games and has a funny story with a funny ending which shows that this game is good for anyone. And that it's not the story that matters in this game, it's the entertainment of the actual gameplay. And even now I'mAddicting! I cannot get enough of this game! The only complaint I have is that the difficulty is toned down evidently. But besides that it is great as it has a lot of rhythm games and has a funny story with a funny ending which shows that this game is good for anyone. And that it's not the story that matters in this game, it's the entertainment of the actual gameplay. And even now I'm still working to unlock everything! Expand
  9. Dec 28, 2016
    I just loved it, al first i felt sad because it was easier than the ds version and that some song weren't included (school dj, the rockers), i switch to the "tap" version to make it more difficult. Now that i have enden the game i'm trying to get all perfect and trying to finish all the challenges
  10. Mar 2, 2017
    This series is the ultimate time killer, and the newest entry is no exception. It has the same wacky but simple game play the series is known for, but with more content than ever before. Sporting over 100 games both new and old, plus challenges, this is a game that will keep you occupied and bopping your head for a very long time.
  11. Sep 18, 2019
    Take Warioware and your standard Rhythm game and mush them together, and you will get this amazing game.
  12. Apr 10, 2020
    By far the best rhythm game ever made.

A cross between a standard rhythm game and warioware.

I hope they bring this to the switch.
  13. Nov 19, 2020
    Very fun and pretty awesome music but is also the least creative game-wise and is way too easy

Generally favorable reviews - based on 37 Critic Reviews

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jan 12, 2017
    Rhythmic game cut to an absolute core. Lots of minigames, simple visuals, a dynamic soundtrack and squeezing one or two buttons. And it is stiff as excrement. [Issue #270]
  2. Nov 30, 2016
    If you ever wondered what would happen if you cross the minigame madness of Wario Ware with a ridiculous story and add rhythm game mechanics, this is the one to look out for.
  3. Nov 16, 2016
    Does what it sets out to - just don’t expect a revolution, Dance Dance or otherwise.