6.8

Buy Now
Buy on

1. Jan 17, 2012
    The 3DS version is superior to the console version, including online multiplayer and better crafted Modern Sonic levels. The boss battles are far less tedious, and the inclusion of a Chaos Emerald mini stages are welcome. It's a tad shorter and features less of Sonic's friends than the PS360 version, but the improved quality of the actual gameplay more than makes up for these.
  2. Sep 11, 2013
    Sonic Generations for the 3DS is good. The gameplay is fun and the graphics are colorful and cartoonish.
    It's Disappointing that City Escape wasn't in this though. Score: 3/5.
  3. Mar 24, 2020
    Hombre, es bastante peor que su versión de sobremesa, pero tener niveles extra fué un buen detalle.
  4. Nov 23, 2011
    I liked it a lot once you get use to it. The only real complaint I have is that the classic sonic roll and modern sonic skid are not matched to a single button. Instead of just pressing Y to roll or X to Skid you have to press down and press b which doesn't always work. That is very disappointing and upsets the whole of the game so instead of marking 1 point off for graphics and levelI liked it a lot once you get use to it. The only real complaint I have is that the classic sonic roll and modern sonic skid are not matched to a single button. Instead of just pressing Y to roll or X to Skid you have to press down and press b which doesn't always work. That is very disappointing and upsets the whole of the game so instead of marking 1 point off for graphics and level design I am marking 2 off. Fun game but not worthy of 40 dollars. Maybe 30. Expand
  5. Nov 26, 2011
    During all the hype for Generations this one never caught my eye. Eventually I bought it as a time consumer. I was wondering if this game'd be a timeless classic, or if it should be erased from Sonic's history...terrible puns aside it's a mixed bag. Let's start off with how the Sonics control. Modern Sonic is prettymuch the same as in Colours 3DS with his boosting, sliding, homing attacksDuring all the hype for Generations this one never caught my eye. Eventually I bought it as a time consumer. I was wondering if this game'd be a timeless classic, or if it should be erased from Sonic's history...terrible puns aside it's a mixed bag. Let's start off with how the Sonics control. Modern Sonic is prettymuch the same as in Colours 3DS with his boosting, sliding, homing attacks and stomping. Only real difference is that instead of spindashing by pressing down, he does the slide instead. Classic Sonic is a huge improvement from what Dimps gave us in Sonic 4. The physics are actually pretty decent...except the rolling. It still tends to slow you down. Which wouldn't be a problem if stages like Mushroom Hill which I'm used to rolling in weren't direct copies from the Genesis games. Overall, control isn't bad. Classic feel is there, but not perfect.

Now onto their stage choice. I have no complaints with the lineup, Genesis sports Green Hill, Casino Night and Mushroom Hilll, Dreamcast brings Emerald Coast and Radical Highway and Modern gives us Water Palace and Tropical Resort. The classic stages (as Classic Sonic) are all direct copies from their original games. Make of that what you will. I recognise it as lazy, but tbh I don't care. Why fix what isn't broken after all? As Modern Sonic the stages are typical linear pathways you boost your way down with occasional platforming. Early on, it feels like one of those poorly made platformers you find being shown off on Youtube. Granted, it did improve as the game went on but levels like Emerald Coast were awful. Post Genesis era, I was curious what Dimps would do since they could hardly make the levels designed around homing attack chains and such. Their response? Give Classic Sonic a homing attack! I really do not think he needs it (nor should have it, Homing attacks are Modern Sonic's forte) but meh whatever. A couple of classic stages are overloaded with boost pads and homing attack chains. Sound familiar? But granted there are some pretty good original classic stages such as Water Palace and Emerald Coast. And there are a handful of good Modern stages like Tropical resort and Water Palace (again). And that's prettymuch all I have to say about the stages.

Next up, music. The game's score was decent overall ranging from absolutely amazing arrangements (Big arm) to some really nostalgic tunes (Emerald Coast) to some pretty unbearable music that made my ears bleed (modern Radical Highway) and some not remixed at all (tropical resort) but again, why fix what isn't broken? Laziness or not, I didn't mind.

Next up my favourite part of the game, the boss fights. I've always been a big fan of bosses designed by Dimps because they create some fantastic and original fights with huge bosses, and Gens 3DS is no exception. The game sports Big Arm, Biolizard, Egg Emperor and of course the Time Eater himself. I had a blast with all of these bosses especially Biolizard and Time Eater, who is greatly improved from the console version. Can't give away the fight itself but it works great and it's actually a fair challenge...bugger killed me twice before I beat him...I just wish there were more bosses. Why can't every world have a boss rather than 1 per every handful of worlds? Also there are rival races. Not much to say. Just race them to the finish and dodge their attacks.

The verdict? It's got its moments, and its got its hiccups. I'd reccomend Sonic fans give it a go. 3DS owners should buy it if they already have Super Mario 3D land and want something else, and people who are new to Sonic? you should probobly check out the console version instead.
  6. Jan 24, 2012
    I love sonic generations 3D its my first ever sonic game and its soo fun!,

Its very challenging which is very good.

The only con is it is to short D:.
  7. Nov 23, 2011
    As a guy who enjoyed 20 years of the blue blur, it's pretty obvious that I played Sonic Generations on X360/PS3/PC. Now the 3DS version starts to stand up to its console brother. The 3DS ver. may not be the best out of the two, but it is certainly enjoyable. The 3DS ver. (stupid typos) is co-developed by DIMPS who worked on the Advance trilogy, Rush series & Colors DS, as well as Sonic 4:As a guy who enjoyed 20 years of the blue blur, it's pretty obvious that I played Sonic Generations on X360/PS3/PC. Now the 3DS version starts to stand up to its console brother. The 3DS ver. may not be the best out of the two, but it is certainly enjoyable. The 3DS ver. (stupid typos) is co-developed by DIMPS who worked on the Advance trilogy, Rush series & Colors DS, as well as Sonic 4: Episode 1. Some fans might be afraid that the 3DS ver. might be one of the worst Sonic games ever. Let me say that slowly: worst Sonic games EVER(mostly because of Sonic 4). I can understand about Heroes, 06 & sometimes Unleashed (it's an okay game honestly), but this one....I think not. Before I start my review (finally...), let me warn you that this one is spoiler heavy but you should have seen it coming anyway.

Presentation

As a typical Sonic game, it has a simple yet enjoyable story. Meaning no love relationships (06), no Werehog (Unleashed) & no swords (S&The Black Knight). The story is presented with cutscenes similar to the Rush series & Colors DS, only with 3D models & in 3D. It's pleasent, but it'll be nice if they put in full voice acting instead of voice clips. The graphic, while not the best, but it is certainly eye-catching. Try activating 3D, it's a nice addition.

Gameplay

Now the 3DS version is indeed different from the console version. Classic Sonic will not have moments that is in full 3D & Modern Sonic will not be in 3D if you played the recent Sonic console games. Classic Sonic's physics is actually near-accurate. Now you might be thinking, "What the hell are you talking about?" I'm talking about no uncurling, working rolling physics and a spin-dash that is right. I gotta give credit to DIMPS. About time they know Classic Sonic's physics, and I enjoyed it. However, there's a catch to Modern's gameplay. It's 2D only , with some full 3D sections. His moveset works fine, but I do like 3D mobility. The zone selection, while it is diverse, the level design speaks Sonic 4. It's sparce. Don't get me mistaken, I'm okay with Sonic 4. Just the addition of Homing Attack to Classic Sonic is a bit forceful in some sections in the zones.

Music/Sound Effects

When there's a Sonic game, there's (KABOOM) epic music. And this version doesn't seem to disappoint me. However there are some track that felt a bit "meh". For instance, Radical Highway Modern Mix. It sounded like radioactive farts. I like D&B but as a primary genre to the mix, it's "meh". But it's nice to hear Water Palace "Back2Back" Modern Mix, Tropical Resort Modern Mix & especially Radical Highway "Classic" Mix. Replay value

Now the 3DS version doesn't have a hub world filled with missions. Instead, the missions are in a separate section, and the missions are unlockable via PlayCoins. That's a chore if you're not the walking type. Plus the length of the main game is about 1 3/4 hours if you're an expert. But with 100 missions, you might be jogging on a treadmill for a long time if you want to unlock one quarter of the missions.

Overall Opinion

Now, what do I think of this game? It's a nice game for the 3DS. Sonic's first run on the 3DS is pretty decent. Sure this game had some pros & cons, Sonic Generations for the 3DS is a nice addition to the game library. Although I consider the console version the superior, this version is a decent way to kill some time. That's the end of my review. I'm newcomer "2011zat" & until then, happy gaming!
  8. Apr 12, 2012
    Sonic generations 3DS is an awesome 2D action plat-former with amazing game-play, an incredible soundtrack, loads of things to do, cool streetpass, great graphics (they could be better) and nice 3D. It's a bit better than the console version, but the console version is still really good!
  9. Apr 14, 2015
    The game is super fantastic ‼️‼️‼️ The controls work perfectly , great music, good gameplay for classic and modern, missions are good,there are only to minor complaints 1:graphics could have been better and 2: classic sonic has homing attack and he jumps like modern sonic
  10. Nov 25, 2011
    Don't listen to negative reviws of this game the cheap deaths are because they suck on difficulty. It is worth the money and definitly compared to old sonic games this game seems to be the best sonic game since the genises. Buy this game and don't listen to trolls.
  11. Nov 30, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sonic Generations on 3DS is a great game despite what critics have said, but one of these is somewhat hypocritical. Critics that have praised Sonics DS games have stated that Sonic needs to throw 3D game-play away and bashed generations for doing just that. Even though the game is completely side-scrolling it is by far the best use of 3D from a 3rd party on 3DS so far. Classic Sonic relies a bit more on the platforming half of Sonic's formula and it was cool revisting levels like green hill from the genesis and water palace from the ds in a high quality perspective in platforming of various difficulty, he learns the homing attack but his animations are quite cool to look at as he performs them and makes me think Sonic should have stoped learning moves there. Modern Sonic plays like we've seen him in Sonic Rush and Colors for ds, while this does make the difference between the 2 sonics harder to tell I enjoy the fact that Modern Sonic has brief 3d gameplay segments (now I remember how terrifying that whale from Sonic Adventure can be and Im freaked out those meteroites from Sonic Color's Tropical Resort), as well as bonus stages and the series concept of multiple routes in a level is taken to good use with the 3DS' 3D effect in Modern levels. Another key plus of the 3DS version is that all it's levels are different than on ps3 and 360 with the exception of Green Hill. Though the campaign is short there's also a 2-player race mode that suffers almost no lag when playing on wifi even with 3D on full blast, you can also partake in side missions to unlock various art and music from throughout Sonic's history and of course a Sonic game is never ment to be truly finished until you get all the chaos emeralds and get S ranks on every level so the games isn't even close to as short as we're told. With the PS3 and 360 versions out for a while and having some more characters and levels, it's hard to say Sonic Generations on 3DS is the must have version if you can only get one, but true Sonic fans will get both to play all the levels featured between the two. Irregardless this is a true celebration of Sonic history making it a great game for nostalgia for longtime Sonic fans and the perfect jumping on point for Sonic Newbies that want to get in on the high-speed fun, it's also a game for those that thought Sonic always sucked and need to be proven wrong. Expand
  12. Nov 25, 2011
    Not a total disaster but not the true vision like the HD version is. Dimps should stop making games. Way too much poor level design (cheaply placed bottomless pits, Sonic boosts too fast in 2D to see alt routes, lame homing attack for classic sonic), lazy visuals, lazy level design all around.
  13. Dec 25, 2011
    this is game for me is excellent and very very enjoyable!
    it has great graphics, great 3d effect its mostly all in 2d ( which i like ) but modern sonic gameplay changes and is faster and sifts angles making the game look awesome with the 3d on! controls are very good and it is veey true to the gameplay of the old Sonic games we love!
    overall 9/10..
  14. Nov 24, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game reminds us why we fell in love with Sonic. Considering that this is SEGAS first handheld game, they did freaking amazing. The graphics have nice clarity and sharpness, the music is well suited and epic, and its fast! The bosses are by far the best handheld bosses in the entire franchise. There are numerous routes to take on every last level! You can play with some one online and race them! You also trade profile cards and missions which is very cool! The stages have way more diversity than the console version and I gladly recomend this game to everyone! If you are a Sonic fan than its mandatory you yet this game, because its that darn great! Expand
  15. Dec 7, 2011
    A total disaster that leaves a bad taste in your mouth. DIMPs have put out the most regressive portable Sonic game yet! The level design is sloppy, the cheap deaths are abundant and the differences between classic and modern Sonic levels are microscopic. Classic Sonic even has a homing attack! On the plus side, the soundtrack is swell and it's certainly nice playing Mushroom Hill ZoneA total disaster that leaves a bad taste in your mouth. DIMPs have put out the most regressive portable Sonic game yet! The level design is sloppy, the cheap deaths are abundant and the differences between classic and modern Sonic levels are microscopic. Classic Sonic even has a homing attack! On the plus side, the soundtrack is swell and it's certainly nice playing Mushroom Hill Zone again. However, you should skip this clunker and stick with the console version instead. Recommended for Sonic completists only. Expand
  16. Oct 19, 2013
    The 3DS was lacking a good sonic game, so Sega decided to port Sonic Generation to the 3DS about a week after the console port was release. Sonic Generation for the 3DS is different from the console port with remade levels from past Sonic games and different boss, but it doesn't make it a good idea. The story is the same, but this time Sonic made to his birthday party and Tails (Sonic bestThe 3DS was lacking a good sonic game, so Sega decided to port Sonic Generation to the 3DS about a week after the console port was release. Sonic Generation for the 3DS is different from the console port with remade levels from past Sonic games and different boss, but it doesn't make it a good idea. The story is the same, but this time Sonic made to his birthday party and Tails (Sonic best friend) hasn't finish getting the party and the purple monster comes and takes Tails to this limbo world where he meet his past self. The two Sonics and the two Tails must stop what ever go on. Gameplay is all 2D platforming which is a huge disappointing to me because the 3DS could handle 3D platformers like Super Mario 3D Land and it feels pointless playing as both Sonics. So here how it goes if you don't like fast classic Sonic you could with faster modern Sonic with boost and everything. Now classic Sonic has the homing attack like his modern self which make it feel weird. The level desigh is some what bad and the first three classic Sonic levels are rip right out of the games their base off. Sonic Generation 3DS port has one big problem is that Sonic team (Developers) Should have focus on the handheld Sonic games from the Game Gear, Gameboy Advance, and DS era. Sonic Generation for the Nintendo 3DS is a okay port from the console port, but you just skip it or if our a big Sonic fan (like me) you could just add it to our collection. Expand
  17. May 6, 2018
    They should have ported the PS3 version to the Wii U instead of making this... thing, the graphics are quite ugly and the game is too short
  18. Nov 22, 2011
    I was really looking forward to this game, especially after we were shown signs of improvement after Sonic Team started babysitting DIMPS (originally, it was going to play identically to Sonic The Hedgehog 4! Poor physics, Sonic uncurling from ramps, and all!). But the game has truly proven that DIMPS is no longer a competent developer. The only decent level designs in the entire game areI was really looking forward to this game, especially after we were shown signs of improvement after Sonic Team started babysitting DIMPS (originally, it was going to play identically to Sonic The Hedgehog 4! Poor physics, Sonic uncurling from ramps, and all!). But the game has truly proven that DIMPS is no longer a competent developer. The only decent level designs in the entire game are the first three classic era ones, only because they're all carbon copies of the original levels! Every original level design is riddled with boring, flat terrain for one half and then poorly designed, pit-riddled portions for the other. It's as if DIMPS simply took levels from Sonic Rush Adventure and gave them a (rather ugly) 3D update.

The graphics are very low quality for a 3DS game, with pop-in and pop-out mere millimeters off the screen (which becomes obvious during modern Sonic's portions where the camera turns on a pointless 45 degree angle. Terrain, hazards, and enemies alike will appear on screen seconds before you crash into them because they don't even pop into existence until Sonic is too close to properly react!). Modern Sonic plays like a sluggish version of the Sonic Rush games, while classic Sonic plays more like Sonic The Hedgehog 4, homing attack and all.

A horrendous game which everyone should avoid, regardless of how starved they are for Nintendo 3DS games at the moment. Better games will come in due time, just be patient and avoid this one completely. It's not even worth a rental, let alone a purchase. The sooner people stop buying DIMPS' poorly designed, half arsed games, the sooner we'll get a more competent team making better Sonic games for our handhelds.
  19. May 9, 2012
    I told myself "Self, This game is actually going to be good... for once Sonic Team has done something right and won't disappoint me like pretty much every other sonic game since sonic 3 on the genesis has.."......

I should have ignored myself....... Seriously, it's well past time for Sonic Team to retire the blue blur. This is a painful game to play not just because of the absolutely

I should have ignored myself.......

Seriously, it's well past time for Sonic Team to retire the blue blur. This is a painful game to play not just because of the absolutely weak amount of content or the gameplay being as insipid (as is come to be expected, sadly) as it is... but the bugs... oh lord the bugs. you would think that a multimillion dollar corporation would have the resources to at LEAST pay for a decent beta testing team but it seems not to be the case. I tend to think of the old rock-star adage... "it's better to go out in a blaze of glory than it is to fade away with a whimper." because at this point, all i can think is that Sega is merely trying to milk this franchise but this cow's gone dry many years ago.
  20. Dec 26, 2011
    Sonic Generations is the portable version of Sonic The Hedgehog's 20th Anniversary game for the Nintendo 3DS. There are four main such as Story, Wifi Multiplayer Racing, Time Trial and Missions.
    The Story mode is underwhelmingly short with a total of 14 stages, 7 special stages, 3 rival races and 4 boss battles, cutscenes you encounter will be added to your Collection. Wifi Multiplayer Racing is simply racing against a random opponent on Wifi in one of the game's stages or special stages. Time Trial consists of racing through stages for the best time and uploading them to the leaderboards. Missions is basically completing a special task for an unlockable reward for your collection and new Missions can be gained through play coins, spotpass download and completing further through the main story. Completing missions unlocks content for your Collection which can include 3D models, music, promotional art. Playing Multiplayer races on Wifi and uploading times to the leaderboards will give you points and unlockable content for your profile card. You can also gain new content through Streetpass and Play Coins can be used to unlock missions and/or their rewards. Classic Sonic stages play slower and promotes exploration and platforming to find interesting goodies while making your way to the exit while Mordern Sonic rushes through stages mowing down obstacles and using shortcuts to reach the exit as soon as possible. Excluding the first three Classic stages which where literally converted from their original versions with no changes, the level design is lazy and and pretty poorly done overall with bottomless pit abuse, boosters even when they aren't necessary and cheap enemy placement. Not the greatest of Sonic games out there but it is a notable improvement from more recently known recent game disasters. If you are a Sonic fan, you will absolutely want this game if you don't have the home console or PC version, and even if you do, this version exclusively has certain levels, bosses and multiplayer that the other versions don't. If you are unsure about Sonic games or they just aren't your forte, you might was to pass this up for something else. If you are new to playing Sonic games or are looking for content for your money, I would suggest Sonic Classic Collection as it is far cheaper than this game and has much more content and is compatible with the 3DS portable gaming console as well.
  21. Jan 16, 2012
    This game is a "greatest hits" album, one for a band long dropped from popularity. It's weird how these "greatest hits" can make me feel nostalgic for an era in gaming I didn't love. When I was a boy and the Mario/Sonic wars were at its peak, Sega couldn't do what Nintendid. Sonic always looked desperate for attention, with unnecessarily difficult speedy platforming that required levelThis game is a "greatest hits" album, one for a band long dropped from popularity. It's weird how these "greatest hits" can make me feel nostalgic for an era in gaming I didn't love. When I was a boy and the Mario/Sonic wars were at its peak, Sega couldn't do what Nintendid. Sonic always looked desperate for attention, with unnecessarily difficult speedy platforming that required level memorization - It wasnââ Expand
  22. Dec 28, 2011
    Graphically this is one of the best 3DS games I've played so far. I played Sonic Colours quite recently on the DS, so this game really shows you how much of a massive difference there is between the two platforms. Like it's console counterpart, the "old school" Sonic parts are better than the "modern" sonic parts and its a bit confusing swapping between the two and trying to a modernGraphically this is one of the best 3DS games I've played so far. I played Sonic Colours quite recently on the DS, so this game really shows you how much of a massive difference there is between the two platforms. Like it's console counterpart, the "old school" Sonic parts are better than the "modern" sonic parts and its a bit confusing swapping between the two and trying to a modern move in old school and vice versa. If you've played the console version, this is a completely different game so don't let that put you off. Sadly some of the better things about the console version like the level within the level select screen have been omitted from this version. Also the level design isn't quite as brilliant as it's console counter part. Generations is also a little on the short side (not quite Sonic Episode 1 short). If you like Sonic, you're not going to dislike this game, you just might not love it. There'll certainly be parts of it you do love, mainly seeing old school sonic levels in 3D. Don't get this instead of the console version, but do get it as well as if you haven't had enough of that speedy blue blur. Expand
  23. Feb 25, 2012
    You know this is like Sonic Advance same but not cartoon world i mean its awesome have cool graphics at the end same as console version fight bosses Metal Sonic, Shadow The Hedgehog, Silver The Hedgehog. nice game even brings back memory's.
  24. Apr 30, 2013
    Sonic Generations is fun. It has really good levels. The annoying thing is I finished the game a little bit too quickly. I found the last bit too easy. At the start I found it impossible but I really liked it and got a lot better once I worked the game out. It is really fun to play this game for quite a while.
  25. Jul 22, 2014
    This game would have been a lot better if they had tossed the modern Sonic levels out the window, and made the whole game based around old Sonic, but then I guess it woudn't have been Sonic Generations. This game is worth having for anybody who likes old Sonic, because it has some of the old levels like Casino Night, Mushroom Hill, and some interesting reinterpretations of new sonic levelsThis game would have been a lot better if they had tossed the modern Sonic levels out the window, and made the whole game based around old Sonic, but then I guess it woudn't have been Sonic Generations. This game is worth having for anybody who likes old Sonic, because it has some of the old levels like Casino Night, Mushroom Hill, and some interesting reinterpretations of new sonic levels in the 2D classic style. The modern sonic levels are all pretty bad and involve practically no 3D at all. So its like playing classic Sonic who just boosts through every level as much as possible, which isn't all that rewarding. Also the scoring system is bad, because it is all based around beating the level in a certain time. I know this is Sonic we're talking about, but this system makes some levels trivial to get S rank, like Casino Night, because you can just drop down to the bottom of every pinball game and advance to the next part of the level, and some super hard like Radical Highway, because you need to beat it in sub 2 minutes and that is just not that easy. Not worth $40 by a long shot, but maybe worth its current price on amazon if you are a fan of old Sonic. Expand
  26. Apr 4, 2022
    No es el mejor que el erizo no has dado, pero tampoco es malo! Es bastante divertido, tiene graficos muy trabajados, modelos y fondos muy bonitos, una banda sonora de lujp... esta muy bien para lo que propone.
  27. Feb 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sonic Generations on the 3DS is incredible fun, the graphics actually look very nice (at times) and there is no slow down (something which irritates me in the home console version). The game's biggest flaw is that it is WAY too short, only 14 levels in all (classic and modern for each of the 7 "zones"), the boss battles are good (again, not enough of 'em), but there are 100 missions to be played through streetpass, which should last a while. There is enough difference between the Classic and modern levels, and most of them are great fun to play again and again although there are instances of sloppy level design in one of the modern levels, (Emerald Coast if you asked) where you can't see what's going on if you use the boost and end up in a bottomless pit. But shortness and very occasional bad level design aside, this is some of the most fun I've had playing a Sonic game in a while (since Colours). It would have a 9/10 if it were longer and the one level I have complained about was designed better. Buy it if you want another Sonic game on the 3DS though! Expand
  28. May 26, 2022
    Game: Sonic Generations
    Genre: Adventure Platformer
    Developer: Sonic Team Publisher: SEGA System: Nintendo 3DS (3DS) Year of Release: 2011 Length of Playthrough: 3 Hours Total Score: 53/100 Value Score: 5.3/10 • Story: 5/10 • Characters: 4/10 • GamePlay: 4/10 • Graphics: 7/10 • Sound: 7/10 • Music: 10/10 • Length: 1/10 • Replay Value: 2/10 • Player Value: 3/10 Pros
    Game: Sonic Generations
    Genre: Adventure Platformer
    Developer: Sonic Team
    Publisher: SEGA
    System: Nintendo 3DS (3DS)
    Year of Release: 2011

• Music: 10/10
    • Length: 1/10
    • Replay Value: 2/10
    • Player Value: 3/10

Pros
    +Includes boss and stages not in the console/PC port
    +Great OST

Cons
    -Missing a lot of stages/levels from the console/PC port
    -Boss battles relegated to racing levels compared to console/PC port
    -Length of game severely reduced
    -Collecting Chaos Emeralds requires you to go through bonus stages which is difficult due to the 3DS screen size of seeing objects, load time for objects to spawn and the controls being not as good as a actual controller
    -Frustrating controls and camera size, high chance of falling into pits or running into enemies
    -Missing characters and cutscenes
    -3DS version cutscenes are still images and the story is significantly cut compared to the console/PC port.

----

Sonic Spinball (PC): 50
    Sonic CD (PC): 83
    Sonic Adventure DX (PC): 84
    Sonic Adventure 2 Battle (GCN): 94
    Sonic Adventure 2 Battle (PC): 93 Sonic Generations (PC): 96 Sonic Generations (3DS): 53 Sonic Lost World (PC): 81 Sonic Mania (PC): 94 Sonic Forces (PC): 87
  29. May 9, 2012
    I like unlocking missions with the coins you earned by the amount of walking you do in a day. And when you finish a mission you unlock art, music tracks and models of characters. The story mode is decent, but once you beat it you can't use the chaos emeralds to go into super form other than when you are defeating the last boss. It has its own unique gameplay when compared to the PC orI like unlocking missions with the coins you earned by the amount of walking you do in a day. And when you finish a mission you unlock art, music tracks and models of characters. The story mode is decent, but once you beat it you can't use the chaos emeralds to go into super form other than when you are defeating the last boss. It has its own unique gameplay when compared to the PC or console gameplay. Expand
  30. Sep 24, 2012
    Sonic Generations is a game on the 3DS which is an entirely different game than its console counterpart and of course, developed by one of the worst developers in gaming history, Dimps. Words cannot describe how terrible this game is. I'm sorry, but just because a game is on the 3DS, it does not mean the game has to be so much downgraded. First of all, there are NO 3D sections in the gameSonic Generations is a game on the 3DS which is an entirely different game than its console counterpart and of course, developed by one of the worst developers in gaming history, Dimps. Words cannot describe how terrible this game is. I'm sorry, but just because a game is on the 3DS, it does not mean the game has to be so much downgraded. First of all, there are NO 3D sections in the game except for the crappy special stages from Sonic Heroes. The levels look NOTHING like the originals. Take a look at Emerald Beach. It looks nothing like the original stage from Sonic Adventure. On top of that, there is barely any difference between classic and modern Sonic. Overall, just don't buy this game. You will regret it for the rest of your life. I know I have. I wasted $40 on a bad 3DS game while I could have spent those $40 on good 3DS games like Kid Icarus: Uprising. I had so much expectations for this game but Dimps and Sega has to ruin it. Expand
  31. Sep 11, 2012
    Sonic Generations 3DS, while not as good as the console version, is still a pretty fun game, especially for Sonic fans.
    I'll be frank: Sonic Generations 3DS was a wasted opportunity. It could have been a true celebration of Sonic's 20 years on handheld systems, but instead we got a rushed handheld version of a console game, a fate suffered by many major games these days.
    That being said,
    That being said, you should still consider buying this game, especially when the discounts start kicking in. The story's not great, but the gameplay for both Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic is great. Classic Sonic's physics are closer to Genesis physics than I've seen in a Sonic game since Sonic Advance 1. Modern Sonic's got his standard 2D skill set and is as fun as ever. The level choices could have been better, but the only bad level design I saw was in the Dreamcast era levels, especially Radical Highway. Once you S-rank Act 2, you will never willingly play it again (with the sound on, at least). The special stages, though too easy to unlock, are fun.
    The graphics actually stand out among 3DS games as some of the best, especially making stellar use of the 3D (second only to Super Mario 3D Land). The sound, besides some later boss music and Radical Highway Act 2's music, is some of the best music from any Sonic game, and that's saying something.
    Overall, if you are a Sonic fan, buy this game. If you like platforming/action games, consider buying this game. If you don't like Sonic, this game won't change your mind. Oh, almost forgot: Online multiplayer. It's a 1-on-1 race with another player on a level or special stage, and can get addicting. It uses a simple rating system and definitely improves replay value.
    Gameplay: 8
    Graphics: 8.5
    Sound: 9
    Replay Value: 8
    Overall: 8/10 (I would've given this an 8.5 if I could.)
  32. Jul 4, 2015
    This game is somewhat fun to play, until you realize that right when you're really starting to get down to business, the game's story mode/main mode is already finished. The controls are clunky, and the frame rate isn't always helping you survive tough levels. While the music is refined, it would have been better to include the tracks (also from the 360 version) on the jukebox. The replayThis game is somewhat fun to play, until you realize that right when you're really starting to get down to business, the game's story mode/main mode is already finished. The controls are clunky, and the frame rate isn't always helping you survive tough levels. While the music is refined, it would have been better to include the tracks (also from the 360 version) on the jukebox. The replay value is alright, but it's pretty hard to find people online nowadays. Anyways, if you're a massive sonic fan, then get this game - you won't really regret it.
    Gameplay: 7.5/10
    Story: 5.5/10
    Music: 8/10
    Presentation: 6.5/10
    Length: 4/10
    Overall: 6/10
  33. Sep 4, 2013
    What a disappointment, while the HD version looked like it had tons of effort put into it, this is just completely lazy. Level designs that often consist you running in a straight line, unimpressive visuals, and really uninteresting gameplay, You have modern sonic and classic sonic, but the problem is there both 2D, so there basically the same except one has the boost and the other has aWhat a disappointment, while the HD version looked like it had tons of effort put into it, this is just completely lazy. Level designs that often consist you running in a straight line, unimpressive visuals, and really uninteresting gameplay, You have modern sonic and classic sonic, but the problem is there both 2D, so there basically the same except one has the boost and the other has a spin dash, don't waste your money on this version, buy the PC/360/PS3 version Expand
  34. Nov 20, 2013
    Well, I like this game, but I have a feeling there's something missing. There aren't so many levels and the 3D graphics aren't too good. It's pretty decent, but yeah... I think that's all I have to say. I hope they improve the next Sonic games,
  35. Jul 17, 2013
    Sonic Generations could have been a fantastic way to celebrate the hedgehog's 20th anniversary, but it's flawed by many problems. This games selling point is that you can play as both classic and modern sonics. But on thr 3DS version, they are virtually the same. Both handle 2-D platforming levels with very similar design. Why couldn't modern Sonic do 3-D levels? It would have made senseSonic Generations could have been a fantastic way to celebrate the hedgehog's 20th anniversary, but it's flawed by many problems. This games selling point is that you can play as both classic and modern sonics. But on thr 3DS version, they are virtually the same. Both handle 2-D platforming levels with very similar design. Why couldn't modern Sonic do 3-D levels? It would have made sense on the 3DS especially. The levels in Sonic Generations, though lacking inspiration, are good fun. The bosses are the best part, but there are so few of them. Which brings about another major flaw- there are only about twenty levels. Honestly, that is lazy. To combat this problem, there is mission mode, in which you must complete levels following varios rules, like not killing any enemies. You can also use play coins to buy additional missions. They save this game and make it, overall, a recommendable package. I just wish there was more of it. Expand
  36. Oct 18, 2013
    The console version of sonic generations was amazing, but the 3DS version is a completely different game, and it's terrible. the story is exactly the same as the console version sonic's friends have been sucked into a white void by a giant purple monster called the time eater and he meets his classic self. now the gameplay, as classic sonic it's completely 2D like the console version, IThe console version of sonic generations was amazing, but the 3DS version is a completely different game, and it's terrible. the story is exactly the same as the console version sonic's friends have been sucked into a white void by a giant purple monster called the time eater and he meets his classic self. now the gameplay, as classic sonic it's completely 2D like the console version, I actually think that classic sonic's physics are better than the console version, but all of that gets washed away when classic sonic gets a homing attack. and modern sonic's gameplay is nothing like the console version, he just plays in sonic rush style 2D with the camera trying to get a 3D view but only going half way, it's like sonic rivals. so the console version had classic sonic's gameplay being like sonic's games on the genesis, and we had modern sonic's gameplay be like the daytime stages of sonic unleashed, and in the 3DS version classic sonic's gameplay is like sonic's Genesis games (with an optional homing attack) and modern sonic's gameplay is like sonic rush. this leads me to feel like this was a last minute rushed game. and like the console version, every zone in this game is based off another zone from older sonic games, there are some zones like green hill zone, and mushroom hill zone that are very fun. and there are some stages like radical highway, WAIT, why is sonic in radical highway, that was a stage in sonic adventure 2 for SHADOW. but anyway radical highway and water palace are the worst stages in the game. and then there are the boss fights, you fight bosses like big arm, biolizard. WAIT AGAIN, in the cutscene right after the biolizard boss, tails says "I never expected to see biolizard again" and sonic says "I fought him before, that was easy" okay, 1, tails never saw the biolizard, and 2, sonic never fought the biolizard, shadow did in sonic adventure 2. who ever made this game seemed to have forgotten the story and plot of sonic adventure 2. also, another thing, the game is extremely short, the console version had 9 zones, and the 3DS version had 7. and the rival battles in the 3DS version are nothing like the console version, in the console version you fight the rival, but in the 3DS version you race the rival. It would make sense if they only did a race for metal sonic since that's similar to the original boss in sonic cd, but they did it for all of them. and instead of fighting metal sonic in a remake of stardust speedway from sonic cd, you fight him in casino night zone, and instead of fighting shadow on a remake of the ark, you fight him in radical highway, and instead of fighting silver in Soleana, you fight him in tropical resort. it's horribile. and the modern era of this game was based on handheld games, like sonic rush, or sonic color DS, WHY? were they actually going for a 4th sonic rush game? the 3DS version of this game is horrible, and it's even worse because modern sonic could have been in 3D because his special stages are 3D and they work fine. by the way let's talk about the special stages, they are remakes of sonic heroes special stages but this time the controls are perfect, unlike sonic heroes special stages. and they also proved that there could be a 3D sonic game in the upcoming sonic lost world for the 3DS, that's how modern sonic in this game should have played. it was understandable for sonic colors on the DS, but not on the 3DS. and the best part of the game is the final boss. the 3DS version of the final boss is a lot better than the console version, and it's probably the only memorable part of the 3DS version. if you're looking for this game, get the console version. Expand
  37. Jun 27, 2014
    Yes, I cannot deny that's this is a butchered port, but its still AWESOME! Playing as classic & modern Sonic is just right. Though the entire game is side-scrolling, the levels are still great! They didn't use any sonic levels from bad games, like the console version IE: that city level... thing from sonic 06.
  38. Feb 8, 2014
    Eh, if you ignore not having 3d platforming, and the games short length, It's not bad at all. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  39. Nov 11, 2014
    It's fun and pay homage to the older games. However, it's pretty short and the post-game isn't really interesting.

As a Sonic fan, it's fun while it lasts. But don't expect a game like Sonic Colors.
  40. Jan 3, 2017
    The 3DS version follows similar gameplay routines from Sonic Rush instead of making it what it wants to be from the console/PC version. While the 3DS version deserves some love to, it doesn't necessarily mean it should be worth the purchase compared to the console/PC version.
  41. Dec 29, 2015
    I love me some side scrolling Sonic. I love the Genesis games, I love the GBA games, I love the DS games. I even love Sonic 4.... both episodes. More than that, I love Sonic Generations for Xbox 360. This ought to have been my jam, inside and out. Instead, I found it to be..... well. Okay, not great.
    So start with, the graphics are..... kinda muddy. Sonic 2D games have always had gorgeous aesthetics, but these, while not ugly, just aren't snappy as you'd expect from the series. Another issue I have is that they gave the classic sonic the homing attack. This isn't in and of itself problematic, however it does make Classic and Modern Sonic levels a lot more alike, and I think the concepts work better with them distinct. Already, the lack of full 3D levels blurs the line..... moving the two closer does the titles no favors. But the biggest problem I have is more ephemeral. It just seems to lack the flow that defines the series. A lot of people claim that what makes Sonic games distinctive is the speed. I'd say that it's more about momentum and flow. Indeed, it's acknowledged that one of the weakest levels in the Genesis games are in the second zone of the original game, where you are forced to stop far too often. It breaks up the momentum and flow and while this game isn't THAT bad about breaking momentum, I found it much less smooth than I've come to expect.
    Now, the game isn't TERRIBLE. I've certainly played worse. But as 2D Sonic goes, I'd have to rate this pretty low. Go to the eShop and download Sonic 2 3D instead.
  42. Jul 22, 2019
    Good game, good gameplay. Fun to play with good controlls. Mostly 2D gameplay with some 3D elements.
  43. Jun 26, 2016
    As I pretty much reviewed the home console game, I'll go a bit more straight with this one. First, if the first game was short, this one is even shorter, I completed it in 2 hours. The Modern Sonic 3D-2D levels translate to just 2D levels. If you collected the chaos emeralds through boss fights and one of the chaos emerald was given for free, you have to play the Sonic Heroes specialAs I pretty much reviewed the home console game, I'll go a bit more straight with this one. First, if the first game was short, this one is even shorter, I completed it in 2 hours. The Modern Sonic 3D-2D levels translate to just 2D levels. If you collected the chaos emeralds through boss fights and one of the chaos emerald was given for free, you have to play the Sonic Heroes special stages, which look so good, but easy to complete. I prefered the final boss of this game more than the home console game, but this version looks okay, it is short and there are no 3D levels, which I liked a lot in the first place. Expand
  44. Aug 22, 2016
    Jogo incrivel do sonic para o 3ds, recomendo a todos, muito divertido, essa versao é diferente da do 360 e ps3, contem fases novas, entao nao é somente um port com graficos piores
  45. Sep 28, 2016
    Jogo muito legal para o 3ds, os graficos são bonitos, nao chega perto da versão de consoles de mesa, mas essa aqui tem um diferencial, fases exclusivas.
  46. Dec 13, 2016
    Since I loved Sonic Rush on the DS I couldn't hate Sonic Generations, a 2D platform with 3D environment is simply fantastic, and the so many references to Sonic Heroes (the music of selection stage, or the emerald challenges) made me love it. The online multiplayer is a bit laggy, but I accept it. The story is a bit short but if you are a perfectionist and you want all S ranks, you have aSince I loved Sonic Rush on the DS I couldn't hate Sonic Generations, a 2D platform with 3D environment is simply fantastic, and the so many references to Sonic Heroes (the music of selection stage, or the emerald challenges) made me love it. The online multiplayer is a bit laggy, but I accept it. The story is a bit short but if you are a perfectionist and you want all S ranks, you have a lot of hours of gameplay to get them. Expand
  47. Nov 10, 2017
    I love this game,Got it last year and i still play it a lot Don't listen to the negative reviews they don't know what a good sonic game is when they play it!
  48. Dec 16, 2017
    Sonic Generations 3DS isn't a bad game, but it isn't a great game. So it's what you expect from a sonic portable game. But the boost formula isn't the same in sonic rush or sonic rush adventure.it uses it's own boost formula, which I would say is pretty cool. But this game should have games from sonic's portable history. Like bridge hill from sonic 1 game gear. ok. they did get one fromSonic Generations 3DS isn't a bad game, but it isn't a great game. So it's what you expect from a sonic portable game. But the boost formula isn't the same in sonic rush or sonic rush adventure.it uses it's own boost formula, which I would say is pretty cool. But this game should have games from sonic's portable history. Like bridge hill from sonic 1 game gear. ok. they did get one from sonic rush adventure and sonic colors ds, but that's all. It's OK in that matter. Expand
  49. May 24, 2018
    its a great game on the go but futher nothing cause you can better play this on console or pc
  50. Nov 19, 2018
    Игра лёгкая. В ней плохое управление, камера находится в ней удобных местах, не понимание во время игры что делать. Это всё делает игру хуже.
  51. Dec 1, 2018
    Sonic Generations for Nintendo 3DS is a petty good game and, while it is very short with only 6 zones, 2 acts per zone, and seven boss battles, it alongside its home console counterpart hold the title of being the best modern Sonic Game since Sonic Colors.
    -Visuals
    -Visuals
    Since the game is running on an underpowered handheld, it obviously does not look as pretty as its home console counterpart or even forthcoming 3DS games such as Super Mario 3D Land or Sonic Lost World. All of the models in the game are very low poly versions of the models of the home console's models, but thanks to the 3DS's low-resolution screen, the models in-game appear much more rounded and smooth than they actually are, which is a cool unintentional effect. Unfortunately, the Classic Sonic stages suffer from the same problem the genesis stages did. The camera always feels way too zoomed in on Sonic which prevents you from seeing some oncoming obstacles the first time through the game, but it is not too big of an issue after you memorise the level design While the visuals are not perfect, they look fine for a 3DS title in 2011.
    Score - 5/10
    -Level Design
    OH BOY IT'S GOOD. Sonic Generations on the 3DS has a completely different set of levels from the home console version. The only zone that is kept the same between the two versions is Green Hill, and even then, the levels are very different. For example, instead of Chemical Plant, you have Casino Night. Instead of Speed Highway you have Emerald Coast. Instead of Planet Wisp you have Tropical Resort. In my personal opinion, the zone selection is even better on the 3DS than the home console versions. The levels themselves are very linear with branching paths which makes them fun to explore and speedrun over and over again. my favorite levels in the game are Green Hill Act one, Mushroom Hill Act two, and Tropical Resort act one. Almost none of the levels have hazards that can be a pain to avoid, allowing you to just hold right as speed off. The only levels I really had a problem with that seemed unfair were Water Palace act two and Radical Highway act two.
    Score - 8/10
    -Story
    Unfortunately, this is where Sonic Generations suffers. The story has so little to add to the game, making it very forgettable and almost nonexistent in the 3DS version.
    Score - 2/10
    -Gameplay and Controls
    The gameplay in both versions is why Sonic Generations is considered to be one of the best Modern Sonic Games to date. The format they used for Sonic Generations with the home console and handheld versions is very similar to what they did with Sonic Colors where the home console's gameplay uses the boost formula while the handheld version resembles the Sonic Rush style of gameplay. But unlike with Colors DS, there are two different styles of gameplay, being Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic. Classic Sonic controls just like he did back in the Genesis days, except about halfway through the game, after defeating the two Classic bosses, Classic Sonic can perform the homing attack from Sonic 4. It can be annoying at some times with the homing attack not always locking onto targets when you expect, but overall it makes platforming much easier. Modern Sonic's style of gameplay is reminiscent of the gameplay in Sonic Colors DS where Sonic can boost, stomp, home in on targets mid-air, and slide. Both Sonics feel great and smooth and make speedrunning this game really fun.
    Score - 8/10
    -Soundtrack
    It's amazing. This is one of the best Sonic soundtracks ever with it almost being on par with Sonic Colors and Sonic 2 as my personal favorites. Every track in this game are remixed versions of songs from the blue blur's first twenty years. Some standout tracks include Green Hill act 2, Emerald Coast act 1, Mushroom Hill act 1, Tropical Resort act 1, and the ending medley. Every track in this game is fun, energetic, and catchy.
    Score - 10/10
    -Extras
    To extend your play time, the game has unlockable missions to complete which let you unlock a large assortment of music, art, and models from Sonic's history which is satisfying enough. The missions can get very repetitive, though, with the same goals being repeated across all of the game's levels. The collectibles, especially the music, make it worth it, though. There is also an online mode in which you race another player through a random level. This mode is a fun little distraction that gives you something else to do.. Overall, the extra modes and unlockables could have been executed better.
    Score - 5/10
    Overall, Sonic Generations is a good game that should satisfy any die-hard Sonic fan. Whenever I'm bored, I always find myself coming back to this game and this this day, it remains one of the best Sonic games on the 3DS. If you own a 3DS and you love 2D sonic games, I suggest you pick up a copy of this game.
    Overall Score - 7/10
  52. Sep 18, 2019
    One of the last good modern Sonic games. A must-play for any Sonic fan looking for that fast-paced action.
  53. Dec 30, 2020
    It’s not that bad, certainly not as good as the other one, but not bad for a demake. The 3D sonic area is kind of just gimmicky 2d sonic with wack camera angles, but I kinda like that. Do play the one on x360 tho
  54. Feb 28, 2021
    A good Game well not as good as the Ps3 and the Xbox 360 but is Good. the only off about this is that Classic Sonic has a homing attack but that's all of the issues that this game has well except for the bottom less pits. the special stages are one of the Best. and the music is good. this game is nearly just 2d which is perfect. and the final boss is Fantastic.
  55. Apr 28, 2021
    This is the game that I grew up with. I didn't have the XBOX 360/PS3 version (Yet). Sonic Generations 3DS is a pretty solid game. I used to play this game a lot. The levels in this game are really good (My favorite being Tropical Resort). When I first played this game I thought it was really hard but I started to get better at it. It has multiplayer which is really cool but I barley get toThis is the game that I grew up with. I didn't have the XBOX 360/PS3 version (Yet). Sonic Generations 3DS is a pretty solid game. I used to play this game a lot. The levels in this game are really good (My favorite being Tropical Resort). When I first played this game I thought it was really hard but I started to get better at it. It has multiplayer which is really cool but I barley get to do it since I literally have no luck of finding an opponent online. It also has missions which can be really challenging. The game can get less fun once you beat the game but its not completely boring. The last thing I want to talk about are the special stages and the final boss. The special stages is just like the special stages from Sonic Heroes. The special stages were easy for the first 3 but 4, 5 ,6, & 7 were so hard but I managed to beat them. Lastly the final boss. The final boss in this version is miles better than the console version in my opinion. It can be very difficult at first but once you keep trying it will be a little easier. Sonic Generations is a pretty solid game! 8/10 Expand
  56. Jul 29, 2021
    The Nintendo 3DS version of Sonic Generations is kind of a celebration of Sonic history that the console version didn't celebrate, like Casino Night and Mushroom Hill. This game was developed by Dimps, and follows suit of the Sonic Rush series of game, thus it's the spiritual Rush 4. Just like the DS version of Sonic Colors, this game has better writing, although the game is short, whichThe Nintendo 3DS version of Sonic Generations is kind of a celebration of Sonic history that the console version didn't celebrate, like Casino Night and Mushroom Hill. This game was developed by Dimps, and follows suit of the Sonic Rush series of game, thus it's the spiritual Rush 4. Just like the DS version of Sonic Colors, this game has better writing, although the game is short, which isn't a very good thing if you think about it. It's 3 hours compared to 4. But it does have some shining differences from the console version as Sonic and Tails, both classic and modern, don't have to worry about saving their friends as Sonic arrives before everyone else. BOOM END OF PLOT
    Classic Sonic in this game is very reminiscent of the Sonic Advance series, a series of 2D Sonic games for the Game Boy Advance that Dimps developed, while Modern Sonic plays like in the Sonic Rush series of games, boost and all..
    And so, I hereby give this game... an 8/10 for great gameplay, short length, great level design, and f*ck Radical Highway!
  57. Mar 17, 2022
    ....................................................................................................................................................................................................blank
  58. Mar 24, 2022
    73%

The 3DS version of Sonic Generations isn't quite as good as the HD version due to its even shorter length, but it surely has some of the best 2D Sonic level design ever, for both classic and modern Sonic.
  59. Apr 10, 2022
    Pretty cool reconstruction of the original Sonic Generations game. Different levels, different main bosses (obviously excepting the final one), different controls, in whole - absolutely different expirience. Also this is the the best 3DS Sonic game (maybe just because I didn;t play Sonic Boom: Fire And Ice, but I dont think so).

Mixed or average reviews - based on 29 Critic Reviews

1. Feb 21, 2012
    It has potential to be way better, but you can have some fun.
  2. Jan 30, 2012
    The blue speedster, both past and present, delivers a solid first outing on Nintendo 3DS.
    Sonic has yet so settle in properly on the handhelds, and Sonic Generations sadly doesn't change that, despite including to versions of the blue hedgehog.