• Publisher: Natsume
  • Release Date: Mar 20, 2014
7.7

1. Jun 14, 2014
    Developing your habilities through the rubbing stick is the key to succeed and advance through the stages, and it is this characteristic that gives Yumi's Odd Odyssey its value. It is like Dark Souls. You have to lose a lot, fall to death to discover your weaknesses and to get the swing of the things. I am sorry to the losers who are weak, because this game, although shows a anime style,Developing your habilities through the rubbing stick is the key to succeed and advance through the stages, and it is this characteristic that gives Yumi's Odd Odyssey its value. It is like Dark Souls. You have to lose a lot, fall to death to discover your weaknesses and to get the swing of the things. I am sorry to the losers who are weak, because this game, although shows a anime style, is for real true hardcore games. Don't touch it if you are just a call of duty player, like the last two reviewers, but if you like challenges like 1001 spikes, la mulana and so on, give it a try! There is nothing compared to this game. Try out also Umihara Kawase (snes) and Umihara Kawase shun (psx), the other games of this awesome serie. Expand
  2. Apr 11, 2014
    If you enjoy 2D platform games, this is a must-own.

If you enjoy 2D platform games, this is a must-own.

A young girl, equipped with nothing but a fishing line and lure, somehow ends up in a dream-like world of mutated salt-water and fresh-water creatures. In other words, it's a 2D platformer with a grappling-hook mechanic. Sounds ridiculous right? Well there's a reason this series is so good, and it mostly has to do with how well designed the grappling mechanic is.

You're basically free to do whatever you want with the hook, as it can attach to walls, ceilings, and floors. You can retract it, loosen it, swing, rappel -- anything you've done before in a grappling game, you can do it here. For instance, you can attach the line to the ground, jump off a ledge, and use the anchor point to slowly descend safely down to another ledge below. The movement mechanics allow you to really get creative.

The game world of Yumi's Odd Oddysey is constructed from a set of interconnected levels known as fields. Each field connects to one or more fields deeper within the game via doors, and each field has several secrets to uncover. Combine that with completing with others to complete levels quickly and for score, and you have a ton of replay value.

The controls are incredibly tight and the music is excellent, the backgrounds and aesthetics are good looking too. The only flaw I can find with the game are some of the 3D graphics, for example when exiting a level through a door, you'll notice some clipping. That and I much prefer the 2D graphics of the originals.
  3. Apr 11, 2014
    Good platforming, better **** 8/10. What else do you want? A good challenge? It's there. Tomboy shenanigans? You bet your ass this game has it. Digital only sucks but that's as far as my complaints go.
  4. Jun 14, 2014
    Agree with IHeartIwata. And I cant believe it was so overrated, I cant believe I was fooled to buy it cos I didn't take care of low-self-esteem nerd/mangina reviews about this huge piece of crap (just because "hurr durr tomboy is powah duhhh tomboy huge boobs good duhhh"). Pathetic graphics, irritating mechanics, and the soundtrack... man, seriously, man, cannot find worlds to describe theAgree with IHeartIwata. And I cant believe it was so overrated, I cant believe I was fooled to buy it cos I didn't take care of low-self-esteem nerd/mangina reviews about this huge piece of crap (just because "hurr durr tomboy is powah duhhh tomboy huge boobs good duhhh"). Pathetic graphics, irritating mechanics, and the soundtrack... man, seriously, man, cannot find worlds to describe the **** soundtrack is.

Please, do yourself a favor and dont buy it, at least if you have to spend more than some cents. Doesn't worth it. Totally does not.
  5. Apr 11, 2014
    ... It took me a day to complete it and I have 4 hours of 3DS playtime. The experience was shoddy and did not offer anything truly unique to be worth anything. It's very forgettable and the music is so...Blah. It's designed for 3 year olds and it's signature spider-man rip off swing mechanic was so glitchy and didn't even work for half the time!

The main character is a cute tomboy

The main character is a cute tomboy though haha

Do not get this game for it's current price! It's a $5 game at the very MOST!

Mixed or average reviews - based on 13 Critic Reviews

1. Official Nintendo Magazine UK
    Jun 29, 2014
    It's a genuine opinion-splitter. [July 2014, p.80]
  2. May 27, 2014
    Sayonara Umihara Kawase is one of those titles that has the potential to captivate one segment of the audience while leaving the other mostly indifferent to it. It does press several right buttons, such as its style and mechanics but overall the experience is somehow limited and it doesn't stand out as much as it could.
  3. May 26, 2014
    This game does, indeed, require mastery and skill to even be completed, and this might take a lot of training before this can be achieved.